What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DL Tiers 2013 / Version 3.0 Updated May 1 (1 Viewer)

Any particular reason why Cliff Matthews would move into relevance? I know with Abraham leaving there is a void but is there any other reason? He's a placeholder until they drafty or sign a FA.

Thoughts on Freeney assuming he signs with Denver or New England?I shudder if he signs with the Saints and becomes an OLB again. He'd probably be a cut for then.
It's very unlikely Freeney will project to enough tackle numbers to be relevant, even if he earns more than a situational role somewhere. Unless you're in a deep, sack-heavy scoring system, he's not a viable fantasy option.
Not a big name but I would think Jarvis Jenkins could atleast be under Dynasty Watch??
He'd have to become a much more consistent pass rush option to have a chance at cracking the top 40, but he'd be worth considering on a Dynasty Watch list. I only listed the players I'd definitely make room for on a roster.
Osi in the ATL would get a big jump?
He'd get the full benefit of the two tier jump indicated in ATL, yes.
Any particular reason why Cliff Matthews would move into relevance? I know with Abraham leaving there is a void but is there any other reason? He's a placeholder until they drafty or sign a FA.
No, opportunity is his main draw as a stash right now. He's not more than a dynasty stash in deeper leagues until the opportunity is assured and he flashes enough pass rush skill to warrant a top 40 ranking.

Anything to see with Robert Ayers, opportunity is there if they don't sign anyone. Although Freeney might, but what remains in his tank has yet to be seen...

Bowers in troubleUpdating a previous item, Bucs DE Da'Quan Bowers will be charged with two counts of second-degree criminal possession after showing up to New York's LaGuardia Airport with a loaded gun in his carry-on bag.The charge is identical to the one Plaxico Burress faced in 2008, and carries a minimum sentence of 3.5 years in prison, with a maximum of 15 years. Burress, who accidentally shot himself in the leg at a Manhattan nightclub, accepted a plea deal and served 20 months. "We are aware of the situation and are gathering information," said Bucs GM Mark Dominik. "We will withhold comment until we know all the facts." Feb 18 - 8:01 PMRotoworld
The felonies and misdemeanors associated with Da'Quan Bowers' gun charges were dismissed Thursday.

Version 3.0 w/ commentary (also available from articles tab at home page)
[SIZE=medium]DL2 with Elite Upside[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=1em]Robert Quinn[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=1em]Chandler Jones[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=1em]Osi Umenyiora[/SIZE]
These 3 really stand out to me... and need to be higher in my estimation.
No quibble with moving Umenyiora (durability concerns) and Quinn (tackle / consistency concerns) up in that particular tier. To move Jones up higher would be to unequivocally consider him a top 10 DL. Is that what you're suggesting here? I'm good with that, just curious on the thought process behind it.

The tier I have them in reflects a fluid DL12 - DL25 tier on my board. I might feel Avril is a better pick than Wimbley or Dunlap depending on recent news or the feel of the current draft.

I want to believe Osi deserves to be bumped up more...I really do....I just can't do it. He's what now, 32? With the bad hip?

Love Osi, but he sorta scares me.

Last edited by a moderator:

No quibble with moving Umenyiora (durability concerns) and Quinn (tackle / consistency concerns) up in that particular tier. To move Jones up higher would be to unequivocally consider him a top 10 DL. Is that what you're suggesting here? I'm good with that, just curious on the thought process behind it.

The tier I have them in reflects a fluid DL12 - DL25 tier on my board. I might feel Avril is a better pick than Wimbley or Dunlap depending on recent news or the feel of the current draft.
Where Jones was last year when he got hurt. And that was as a rookie.

Now him suffering through 2 ankle injuries probably isnt the best sign

His average points per game through nine games (he was hurt in his 10th game) is telling. And in all of my varying leagues that average would have placed him at around #6 at seasons end.

4.16 after nine games, with only five DL averaging over 4 on the season. Now he may have hit a rookie wall eventually, but I'm more preoccupied on what is in order for this season.

I recall Jene being pretty high on Andre Branch and I'm wondering if you think he has a shot at the LEO position in this defense? If so I would think he jumps tiers pretty quickly correct?

Assuming you can still use him as a DL, would Suggs be in the top tier? Any more lingering issues from injury?

Alas, poor Bruce.

@AdamSchefterSeattle's former 1st-round pick Bruce Irvin has suspended without pay for violating NFL policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

Assuming you can still use him as a DL, would Suggs be in the top tier? Any more lingering issues from injury?
As long as his health holds up he will still be a top 10 DL. He has always finished in the top 5 in my leagues and was the #1 DL before as well.

Am I seeing things, or is MFL listing Shaun Phillips as a DE? That's gotta be an error, non?

I know I recall Fox saying he'd "backup Sam and DE, and rush from all over the formation"...but assumed he'd still be classified a LB.

Am I seeing things, or is MFL listing Shaun Phillips as a DE? That's gotta be an error, non?

I know I recall Fox saying he'd "backup Sam and DE, and rush from all over the formation"...but assumed he'd still be classified a LB.
Great catch! When did that happen? But with that line from Fox, will he be used on over half of the snaps?

Not sure when it happened. Noticed it this morning when I was engaged in trade talks with the guy who owns him in that league.

But with that line from Fox, will he be used on over half of the snaps?
Pretty much what I'm curious to find out. Could he get 500+ snaps playing as a "rush only" guy/backing up Von Miller? If he can and remains classified as a DL...there are probably worse things I could do with the last DL in my rotation.

Not sure when it happened. Noticed it this morning when I was engaged in trade talks with the guy who owns him in that league.

But with that line from Fox, will he be used on over half of the snaps?
Pretty much what I'm curious to find out. Could he get 500+ snaps playing as a "rush only" guy/backing up Von Miller? If he can and remains classified as a DL...there are probably worse things I could do with the last DL in my rotation.
Who will have the better season, him or Anthony Spencer (also now listed as a DL after being an unrostered LB in my league to end last year).

Jene, any thoughts on David Hawthorne? Is there any chance he gets in on passing downs?

Jene, any thoughts on David Hawthorne? Is there any chance he gets in on passing downs?
He was not healthy last year and in a truly awful defense. I have him because I'm convinced he can bounce back. I don't think he was a good fit as the OLB but has the skills to thrive as an ILB alongside Lofton. Vilma is very much a presence I think

With Irvin being moved to LB, Clemons still rehabing the ACL injury; does Bennett get some extra value in the beginning of the yr

Ahtayba Rubin Cleveland DE - I wanted to see if he has any value now that he will line up as a DE. Justin Smith in this defense put up some good numbers. I think he could be a steal drafted late since no one thinks he has any value.

Ahtayba Rubin Cleveland DE - I wanted to see if he has any value now that he will line up as a DE. Justin Smith in this defense put up some good numbers. I think he could be a steal drafted late since no one thinks he has any value.
EPSN still has him listed as a DT, so that may increase his value some for those who have them in ESPN leagues... right? I'd like to know more about this as well

Ed Valentine of Big Blue View

Interestingly, defensive ends Justin Tuck and Mathias Kiwanuka seemed to flip-flop from side to side based on the defensive call. Tuck, a left end his entire career, spent most of his time on the right side of the defense.

--------------------------------------------------

Don't know how this will impact the value of Tuck.

I like Rubin this year as a late round sleeper. He could surprise if he sticks as a DE. He could move back and forth from DE/DT and that could hurt his value. He is under the radar so far this offseason. There was talk of him being waived but I think he will do fine in the Browns new system. I have read he is losing weight so he can play DE. Fantasy Stud probably not but he could be a player to target for depth at the DE position late in drafts.

Ohm Youngmisukþ@NotoriousOHM1m
DL coach Nunn says he can see Damontre Moore contribute as a rookie "early." Says he wants to see what 3rd rd pick can do with pads on.

Ebenezer Samuelþ@ebenezersamuel1m
Coach Nunn says Damontre Moore "off to an outstanding start." Seems to indicate he can contribute this yr

Concussion problems for Dunlap. Big time buyer on his game, but man it's always something.

Apologies in advance for the poor form of this "pat yourself on the back" bump...

but halfway through the season and these are my leagues #2, #3 and #5 DL in points per game.

Apologies in advance for the poor form of this "pat yourself on the back" bump...

but halfway through the season and these are my leagues #2, #3 and #5 DL in points per game.
Pats on the back allowed in the SP.....FFA? not so sure :)

I'd agree with you on Jones and Quinn. Osi, OTOH has been a surprise to me. Thought he'd struggle with the move to ATL and produce DL3 type numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread