What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Cordarrelle Patterson, PIT (2 Viewers)

Floyd sucks for fantasy sure, and maybe he wasn't that good, but he was highly regarded. If we're talking only predraft ranking by scouts I think Floyd is higher.

Blackmon was a top 5 pick in a strong draft. Patterson will be lucky to be a top 10 pick in a weak draft. I agree that he's roughly on par with Floyd. Floyd was more accomplished. Patterson might test better. Judging by mocks, they'll have a similar draft position.

Floyd sucks for fantasy sure, and maybe he wasn't that good, but he was highly regarded. If we're talking only predraft ranking by scouts I think Floyd is higher.
I think it's a little early to say that, right now. At this point in time - sure. But the combine can change things. Even Julio was only a top 10-12 pick at this time 2 years ago. Then, you have guys like Vernon Davis and Shawne Merriman who jumped even higher based on their numbers. I doubt he'll catch Blackmon, in terms of a prospect, but I think Floyd is well within reach if Patterson puts on a show.

'jonboltz said:
'KellysHeroes said:
where would he be ranked in last yrs class, ahead of Blackmon?
Not a chance at being ahead of Blackmon, and likely behind Floyd as well. I think he'd fit in between Floyd and Wright.
prior to his dui arrest, Blackmon was a top 3 FF rookie pick

'jonboltz said:
'KellysHeroes said:
where would he be ranked in last yrs class, ahead of Blackmon?
Not a chance at being ahead of Blackmon, and likely behind Floyd as well. I think he'd fit in between Floyd and Wright.
Below Floyd, but not necessarily below or above wright. Completely different games, so depends on team scheme.

I've been sold on him as my 1.1 pick for some time, just hoping he doesn't go to the Bills.
Why not the Bills? Considering they have Stevie and plenty of other holes, Im actually surprised they would be interested in a WR that early but Ive seen Patterson mocked to the Bills a few times. Now Patterson probably wouldnt get as many reverses or gimmick plays there as he would elsewhere because of how good their running game is, but I think Fitz is a good enough QB to get him the targets. Not to mention they have a gaping hole at WR2 unlike most teams which should benefit him.The Rams, Jets, and Dolphins all seem like worse landing spots to me.

ETA: Interested in a WR in the 1st round that early
Maybe the Jets would be worse (although I expect them to upgrade at QB) - but I think St. Louis for sure and probably Miami are much better landing spots than Buffalo. Ryan Fitzpatrick is terrible and it looks like they are going with him for another season at least.
I haven't really watched much of Patterson, but IF much of what is being posted here is true (YAC-type routes: screens, slants, etc), that would play to Fitzpatrick's strengths as a QB. He doesn't have the strongest arm, so when he tries/has to make deeper throws, that is where he gets in trouble. If he is able to make shorter, quicker throws, he could be more successful. If that plays into Patterson's strengths, you have a win-win.

Patterson is a unique prospect. Listen to Chris Steuber (Ourlads) and Alex Brown (Optimum Scouting) talk about "frustrating" and "aggravating" he is as a prospect starting at about 23-24 min: On the Couch

He's either going to be harnessed and hit big, or not be able to be used well in NFL offenses because of his rudimentary game. Not much in between. I do think that Percy Harvin's use in Minnesota has created a good mold to just "get the ball in the hands" of your most dangerous receiver in the simplest way possible - not that I think Harvin has Patterson's deficiencies as a WR - that lack of nuanced use is more on the architects of the Vikings offense.

I'll probably shy away from taking him over Hopkins and Austin. He and Allen are very close. They're all close enough that destination could shuffle the order very easily.

Patterson is a unique prospect. Listen to Chris Steuber (Ourlads) and Alex Brown (Optimum Scouting) talk about "frustrating" and "aggravating" he is as a prospect starting at about 23-24 min: On the CouchHe's either going to be harnessed and hit big, or not be able to be used well in NFL offenses because of his rudimentary game. Not much in between. I do think that Percy Harvin's use in Minnesota has created a good mold to just "get the ball in the hands" of your most dangerous receiver in the simplest way possible - not that I think Harvin has Patterson's deficiencies as a WR - that lack of nuanced use is more on the architects of the Vikings offense.I'll probably shy away from taking him over Hopkins and Austin. He and Allen are very close. They're all close enough that destination could shuffle the order very easily.
Do you think because of his lack of experience much of those issues could be worked on and improved in time?

Patterson is a unique prospect. Listen to Chris Steuber (Ourlads) and Alex Brown (Optimum Scouting) talk about "frustrating" and "aggravating" he is as a prospect starting at about 23-24 min: On the CouchHe's either going to be harnessed and hit big, or not be able to be used well in NFL offenses because of his rudimentary game. Not much in between. I do think that Percy Harvin's use in Minnesota has created a good mold to just "get the ball in the hands" of your most dangerous receiver in the simplest way possible - not that I think Harvin has Patterson's deficiencies as a WR - that lack of nuanced use is more on the architects of the Vikings offense.I'll probably shy away from taking him over Hopkins and Austin. He and Allen are very close. They're all close enough that destination could shuffle the order very easily.
Do you think because of his lack of experience much of those issues could be worked on and improved in time?
sure, if he's coachable... there are murmurs that coaching him could be... challenging

sure, if he's coachable... there are murmurs that coaching him could be... challenging
Which is interesting because he seemed to respond well to coaching at Tenn. He stepped into a team with a Pro style route tree and passing game and performed outstandingly. I'd say his route running wasn't nearly as poor as what a lot of people are making it out to be, also. He was impressive on most of them IMO. It's work at the LOS he really needs. Of course his route running needs work, but he isn't some totally raw prospect who's never run a full route tree like many are saying.

Which is interesting because he seemed to respond well to coaching at Tenn. He stepped into a team with a Pro style route tree and passing game and performed outstandingly. I'd say his route running wasn't nearly as poor as what a lot of people are making it out to be, also. He was impressive on most of them IMO. It's work at the LOS he really needs. Of course his route running needs work, but he isn't some totally raw prospect who's never run a full route tree like many are saying.
Quick slants and go routes, with an occasional backshoulder throw. Very few of his receptions come on "pro style route tree" routes. He gets a ton of respect (fear?) from the opposition, and that gives him room to operate. "Totally raw" might be an exaggeration, but he's certain about as raw as any first round WR you'll see - comparable maybe to Demaryius Thomas in that respect, but not the freakish physical specimen that Thomas is. The bottom line is that using him as a pro style WR is a bigger unknown for him than any of the other top WRs except maybe Austin, who is in an entirely different mold. Chris and Alex aren't knocking Patterson because they have a personal problem with him. They watched the film and that's what they saw.

Quick slants and go routes, with an occasional backshoulder throw. Very few of his receptions come on "pro style route tree" routes. He gets a ton of respect (fear?) from the opposition, and that gives him room to operate. "Totally raw" might be an exaggeration, but he's certain about as raw as any first round WR you'll see - comparable maybe to Demaryius Thomas in that respect, but not the freakish physical specimen that Thomas is. The bottom line is that using him as a pro style WR is a bigger unknown for him than any of the other top WRs except maybe Austin, who is in an entirely different mold. Chris and Alex aren't knocking Patterson because they have a personal problem with him. They watched the film and that's what they saw.
Hey Sig, i'll be releasing a piece about Patterson in the coming weeks. Routes I saw(didn't watch every play from 2012, but at least plays from every game): Slant, Seam, Dig, Hitch, Deep Hitch, Post, Drive, Slant Counter, Out N Up(versus Amerson). Very few deep routes. Most were short or intermediate, which makes it interesting his YPC was better than Hunter.

Hey Sig, i'll be releasing a piece about Patterson in the coming weeks. Routes I saw(didn't watch every play from 2012, but at least plays from every game): Slant, Seam, Dig, Hitch, Deep Hitch, Post, Drive, Slant Counter, Out N Up(versus Amerson). Very few deep routes. Most were short or intermediate, which makes it interesting his YPC was better than Hunter.
very cool. look forward to reading it

He ran a number of go routes where he wasn't targeted or dropped the ball. Hunter is much more likely to be a true wr1 in the nfl but Patterson will definitely have a place. I think he could be in the Jacoby jones mold where it takes him a few seasons to be more than a return man and fourth receiver.

:goodposting: I don't know why so many people don't just watch the guy before claiming he ran only a few routes.I don't recall seeing any post corners or other deeper double move routes, but he ran most everything else. Tenn seemed intent on getting the ball into his hands quickly and allowing his tremendous YAC to pay dividends, which it did.

Russ Lande of the National Football Post hears Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson has been "very unimpressive" in team interviews at the Combine.Lande suggests Patterson's poor interviews coupled with an up-and-down showing in Combine pass-catching drills could result in him "sliding down draft boards." As an athlete, Patterson remains a 6-foot-2, 216-pound freak. He ran a 4.42 official forty with a 37-inch vertical and explosive 10-foot-8 broad jump.

Russ Lande of the National Football Post hears Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson has been "very unimpressive" in team interviews at the Combine.Lande suggests Patterson's poor interviews coupled with an up-and-down showing in Combine pass-catching drills could result in him "sliding down draft boards." As an athlete, Patterson remains a 6-foot-2, 216-pound freak. He ran a 4.42 official forty with a 37-inch vertical and explosive 10-foot-8 broad jump.
Could be a smoke screen.

Could be a smoke screen.
It also wouldn't be shocking in the least if it's true.

Could be a smoke screen.
His name bothers me.

Could be a smoke screen.
His name bothers me.
I was just thinking the same.What about Tayvon? Bugs me too.

Ooh look, they cloned Robert Meachem! Buyer beware!
He doesn't play anything like meachem.
Agreed, posters are throwing out any bust comparison because that's what they think Patterson will be. However, he's not strictly a speed guy like: Meachem, Stallworth, Lelie, Ginn, DHB, etc.Might as well compare Gio Bernard to Christian Okeye
What current WR does he remind you of?I am kindof leaning for the Panthers to look really hard at this dude as Newton needs another weapon desperately.

Agreed, posters are throwing out any bust comparison because that's what they think Patterson will be. However, he's not strictly a speed guy like: Meachem, Stallworth, Lelie, Ginn, DHB, etc.Might as well compare Gio Bernard to Christian Okeye
What current WR does he remind you of?I am kindof leaning for the Panthers to look really hard at this dude as Newton needs another weapon desperately.
Percy Harvin, Greg Little, etc. Good at making people miss type of WRETA: I added Little because Patterson makes people miss due to his strength more than people realize.

Last edited by a moderator:
What current WR does he remind you of?
Harvin/M.AustinFlaws, but that is the closest I can come up with.
from what I get from this thread and the one game I saw (NCSU) he almost comes across like Torry Holt without the precision route running. Just size and speed.
I don't see Torry Holt honestly. Another poster brought up Roddy White, he has a build like him, but can make defenders miss at an incredible rate.

Meachem didn't enter the NFL with the thought that he would be strictly a speed guy. I compare him to Meachem because he is the same size and has the same measurables and is entering the NFL with some of the same limitations/question marks relative to his route running, release, and my ball skills. On the NFL level, Meachem is complementary WR; speed guy that can make the big play. That is not what he was projected to be when he was drafted.

If you buy on Patterson you're hoping he develops into a Kenny Britt or Josh Gordon type player (without the baggage). I think those are guys are his ceiling, though IMO he's got more work to do than the usual rookie to get there. If the NFL loves him enough to draft him high he's definitely worth a gamble.I'd say the same about Da'Rick Rodgers btw. Same neighborhood in terms of comps but has work to do -- the guys who have enough of a weed problem that they have to transfer schools do seem to carry their troubles with them to the NFL.ETA: I expect to pass on both guys at their current price though.

Meachem didn't enter the NFL with the thought that he would be strictly a speed guy. I compare him to Meachem because he is the same size and has the same measurables and is entering the NFL with some of the same limitations/question marks relative to his route running, release, and my ball skills. On the NFL level, Meachem is complementary WR; speed guy that can make the big play. That is not what he was projected to be when he was drafted.
Meachem also didn't enter the NFL making people miss or setting a Tennessee record in total yards. I don't see it honestly, outside of them both attending UT.

If you buy on Patterson you're hoping he develops into a Kenny Britt or Josh Gordon type player (without the baggage). I think those are guys are his ceiling, though IMO he's got more work to do than the usual rookie to get there. If the NFL loves him enough to draft him high he's definitely worth a gamble.I'd say the same about Da'Rick Rodgers btw. Same neighborhood in terms of comps but has work to do -- the guys who have enough of a weed problem bad enough that they have to transfer schools do seem to carry their troubles with them to the NFL.ETA: I expect to pass on both guys at their current price though.
It's hard to accept those guys are his ceiling, when they clearly haven't reached theirs. Are you suggesting the 3 have similar ceilings, or suggesting Gordon/Britt 2012 is Patterson's ceiling?

If you buy on Patterson you're hoping he develops into a Kenny Britt or Josh Gordon type player (without the baggage). I think those are guys are his ceiling, though IMO he's got more work to do than the usual rookie to get there. If the NFL loves him enough to draft him high he's definitely worth a gamble.I'd say the same about Da'Rick Rodgers btw. Same neighborhood in terms of comps but has work to do -- the guys who have enough of a weed problem bad enough that they have to transfer schools do seem to carry their troubles with them to the NFL.ETA: I expect to pass on both guys at their current price though.
It's hard to accept those guys are his ceiling, when they clearly haven't reached theirs. Are you suggesting the 3 have similar ceilings, or suggesting Gordon/Britt 2012 is Patterson's ceiling?
No... I'm suggesting that all three guys are similarly talented (IMO pretty good). I think we've seen enough of Britt to know his ceiling is pretty high, and Gordon flashed good his rookie year as well. Think these guys could all be strong WR2s if they stay out of trouble/develop. But they're also all risky. I think your Miles Austin comp was pretty good too FWIW. But Austin is a nose-to-the-grindstone guy and I didn't want to include him for that reason.

No... I'm suggesting that all three guys are similarly talented (IMO pretty good). I think we've seen enough of Britt to know his ceiling is pretty high, and Gordon flashed good his rookie year as well. Think these guys could all be strong WR2s if they stay out of trouble/develop. But they're also all risky.
Okay, that makes sense.

He doesn't remind me of Harvin much at all. Different body type.Harvin is maybe the most over-used comparison in WR scouting these days. Every halfway decent slot WR or open field weapon gets compared to Harvin now, like how every white WR 6'2"+ was the "next Ed McCaffrey" for a while. I can't think of anyone who's a perfect match for Patterson. Physically, he is like the ******* child of Randy Moss and Julio Jones (which is not to say that I expect a similar career). He has good weight for his height, but he's got some skinny looking legs like Randy and moves a little bit like him.

Slightly taller Joshua Cribbs.Nothing like Moss. Moss was effortless. Patterson runs hard and you can see it.

from Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Mike Mayock believes Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson is a top 10 talent, but admits he likely won't be selected there.Mayock made sure to note that Rams GM Les Snead was in attendance at Tennessee's pro day. Patterson is an electric playmaker with the ball in his hands and generated separation despite poor routes. Along with refinement, Patterson would be smart to catch fewer passes with his body.Source: Andy Fenelon on Twitter

from Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Mike Mayock believes Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson is a top 10 talent, but admits he likely won't be selected there.

Mayock made sure to note that Rams GM Les Snead was in attendance at Tennessee's pro day. Patterson is an electric playmaker with the ball in his hands and generated separation despite poor routes. Along with refinement, Patterson would be smart to catch fewer passes with his body.

Source: Andy Fenelon on Twitter
I really want the Panthers to get this guy for newton. Seems like a perfect match based on this.

Users who are viewing this thread