What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Cordarrelle Patterson, PIT (2 Viewers)

jurb26 said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
ponchsox said:
Why does rotoworld hate Patterson so much? After the game, "there's WR2 upside."
I get what you're saying, but he's not going to keep putting up 100 yard rushing games and he only had a few catches.
He got 7 touches. I'll take that every week. He is capable of scoring on just about any play. I'm sure the distribution will skew more towards receptions as the weeks go by, 64 carries would be unprecedented, but as long as he touches the ball I don't care.
If he's capable of scoring every play, why only get 7 touches? He's obviously very talented and explosive but I would like see more touches. I think with only 7 touches he will be very inconsistent. I started him in the league I have him in but he still scares me as an every week starter.

jurb26 said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
ponchsox said:
Why does rotoworld hate Patterson so much? After the game, "there's WR2 upside."
I get what you're saying, but he's not going to keep putting up 100 yard rushing games and he only had a few catches.
He got 7 touches. I'll take that every week. He is capable of scoring on just about any play. I'm sure the distribution will skew more towards receptions as the weeks go by, 64 carries would be unprecedented, but as long as he touches the ball I don't care.
If he's capable of scoring every play, why only get 7 touches? He's obviously very talented and explosive but I would like see more touches. I think with only 7 touches he will be very inconsistent. I started him in the league I have him in but he still scares me as an every week starter.
7 touches isn't that bad for a WR, and his play is screaming for more.

Vikings only only threw 25 times, and he got 20% of the targets. He's going to be great in the passing game.

Last edited by a moderator:
jurb26 said:
ponchsox said:
jurb26 said:
ponchsox said:
jurb26 said:
massraider said:
Air Stich said:
He looks so good out there. There will be down games (like all WRs), but he should be ranked in the top 10 of WRs moving forward.
That's too high for me, I think. I play PPR, and I would say:

Dez

Calvin

Demaryius

Green

Julio

Jordy

Antonio

Harvin

Marshall

Jeffrey

Man, he's close after that, tho.
Harvin? Patterson is what people want Harvin to be.
Harvin has Wilson and Patterson has Cassel.
How does having a QB who is likely to throw 100 less passes help Harvin?
Maybe because he's much, much better?
He's not that much better.
As a WR, Harvin is still much better than Patterson. Patterson is electric and only gonna get better, but he has only put up 485 receiving yards in 17 NFL games to date. Let's not overrate him just yet.

He's obviously very talented and explosive but I would like see more touches.
Then stick around, it's just the first game. A game in which they won by 28 points and were probably being conservative. Cassel attempted a grand total of 6 passes in the fourth quarter.
I am responding to the post where the poster is happy with 7 touches a game. I think that's not enough. They probably did get conservative with him at the end. I would make sure this guy touches the ball at least once every series somehow.

Lol at the continued underrating of CP as a receiver. Go back and watch his Tennesee youtube reel if you want to see how well he can catch the football. Spoiler: very.

He's obviously very talented and explosive but I would like see more touches.
Then stick around, it's just the first game. A game in which they won by 28 points and were probably being conservative. Cassel attempted a grand total of 6 passes in the fourth quarter.
I am responding to the post where the poster is happy with 7 touches a game. I think that's not enough. They probably did get conservative with him at the end. I would make sure this guy touches the ball at least once every series somehow.
How many WR will get 112 touches this season?

I'm confident the new Vikings coaching staff is well aware of CP's talent and won't underutilize him like the previous crew did with Harvin.

I'm confident the new Vikings coaching staff is well aware of CP's talent and won't underutilize him like the previous crew did with Harvin.
Well, he did only get six offensive touches yesterday. CP is amazing, so hopefully that number rises to closer to ten in future matchups.

One thing that would temper CP84 just a bit is the emergence of a competitive Vikings defense. Mike Zimmer is afterall, a defensive coordinator at heart, and they played very well yesterday. If that continues, it could bite into CP's touches on offense and on kick returns.

Most of my leagues, if not all, don't include return yards.

Zimmer didn't call the offensive plays, but CIN had a good defense, and A.J Green has some of the best receiving numbers ever through his first three seasons.

LawFitz said:
Jobber said:
Well, he did only get six offensive touches yesterday. CP is amazing, so hopefully that number rises to closer to ten in future matchups.

One thing that would temper CP84 just a bit is the emergence of a competitive Vikings defense. Mike Zimmer is afterall, a defensive coordinator at heart, and they played very well yesterday. If that continues, it could bite into CP's touches on offense and on kick returns.
I do expect the D to be much improved. Let's not forget that they played St. L who isn't exactly a world beater on offense and they had their backup QB. Not all the games will be that dominant for them on D. Especially not in that division.Something to note. Minn only attempted 25 passes yesterday. Mainly because they controlled the game start to finish. I doubt that is the case for most of the season. This is probably a low end of targets/receptions.

This is what scared me since three were rushes. They were playing with the lead so that should change going forward. You'd like to see it around 10.

Either way, I think I'm going bold this week and benching him for Justin Hunter. My other spots are filled with Jordy and Andre Johnson. It's a tough call since I can only start 3 of the 4 and I realllllllllllly want to get Hunter in there versus Dallas. I think this is going to be his mega-breakout game.

I think Revis shadows Cordarrelle and takes him out of the passing game. It's a return yardage league so he's all be guaranteed 2-3 points on that and another 2-3 on rushing, but that's not very much. Belichek does an amazing job of taking away a team's best weapon, like they've done with Graham (zero catches last time they played).

I do expect the D to be much improved. Let's not forget that they played St. L who isn't exactly a world beater on offense and they had their backup QB. Not all the games will be that dominant for them on D. Especially not in that division.Something to note. Minn only attempted 25 passes yesterday. Mainly because they controlled the game start to finish. I doubt that is the case for most of the season. This is probably a low end of targets/receptions.
:goodposting: That game had everything to do with the St. Louis offense. They are by far the worst in the league. Pedestrian talent at all skill positions, crappy offensive line, terrible quarterbacking. This guy has stud written all over him.

This is what scared me since three were rushes. They were playing with the lead so that should change going forward. You'd like to see it around 10.

Either way, I think I'm going bold this week and benching him for Justin Hunter. My other spots are filled with Jordy and Andre Johnson. It's a tough call since I can only start 3 of the 4 and I realllllllllllly want to get Hunter in there versus Dallas. I think this is going to be his mega-breakout game.

I think Revis shadows Cordarrelle and takes him out of the passing game. It's a return yardage league so he's all be guaranteed 2-3 points on that and another 2-3 on rushing, but that's not very much. Belichek does an amazing job of taking away a team's best weapon, like they've done with Graham (zero catches last time they played).
It sucks for the Patriots that he was not able to do that last week.

Patterson is Minnesota's best weapon? :unsure:

Patterson is Minnesota's best weapon? :unsure:
:goodposting: pretty sure that AP guy might be in the mix there.

10!!!!!?!??

Calvin Johnson doesn't even get that many TARGETS. This dudes a WR. The best of the best get somewhere around 6-7 receptions/game. That's in line with what Patterson got except he got rushes instead of all receptions. He might hurt you slightly in PPR, but would it surprise anyone if he had 10 total TD this year? If he touched the ball 100 times not including returns? That's completely in line with great PPR WRs minus 30-35 points from receptions

I think he can handle between 8-12 offensive touches per game, including 2-4 rushes. Unlikely to be his average, but that's his upside and it entails low-mid WR1 stats.

Add return yards and you're looking at a potential monster, considering he's the best and most active kick returner in the league.

:popcorn:

revis isn't who he use to be. don't worry.
Patterson isn't exactly your standard type of WR obviously. Revis and/or Belichick's ability to neutralize more prototypical weapons isn't a reason to leave CP on your bench. I imagine they'll be focused on stopping AP anyway after Knowshon Moreno and Lamar Miller tore them apart.

I think he can handle between 8-12 offensive touches per game, including 2-4 rushes. Unlikely to be his average, but that's his upside and it entails low-mid WR1 stats.

Add return yards and you're looking at a potential monster, considering he's the best and most active kick returner in the league.

I don't really get the return yardage argument. My league is 1 poitn per 25 yards. That's like 2-3 PPG. It's not that much of a boost in PPR considering he's not likely to be a target monster like either AJ, Calvin, Julio, etc.

CP isn't a high volume target type WR (yet). He's an electric playmaker who can catch and get YAC. But at this point he's not a 10-target a game guy. MN will spread the targets out because they have a solid possession guy (Jennings) and a very good big TE (Rudolph). He's not gonna get the targets of a Calvin, AJ, Dez etc.

I'm still starting him, Revis can't follow/cover him when lines up in the backfield for runs or short passes. Hopefully they do more of that in a non-blowout game. Gotta get the ball in his hands and let him run with it. He's still mediocre in terms of route running from what I've seen.

CP isn't a high volume target type WR (yet). He's an electric playmaker who can catch and get YAC. But at this point he's not a 10-target a game guy. MN will spread the targets out because they have a solid possession guy (Jennings) and a very good big TE (Rudolph). He's not gonna get the targets of a Calvin, AJ, Dez etc.
Agreed. This is only his second year though and he's going to get better hopefully. He's an elite playmaker so he only needs to be an average WR to become a low end WR1. Some of his success will be tied to Bridgewater. If you believe Bridgewater will be better than average or even top 10 QB in the future (I do) then Patterson's future is about as bright as any WR2 in the league right now.

I don't really get the return yardage argument. My league is 1 poitn per 25 yards. That's like 2-3 PPG. It's not that much of a boost in PPR considering he's not likely to be a target monster like either AJ, Calvin, Julio, etc.
You don't see where a WR2 that scores 13 ppg can get a big boost from 3 additional points in the return game? 16ppg*16= 256 or WR14 13ppg*16= 208 or WR22 . It's a pretty big deal.

As long as they put the ball in his hands 6-10 times a game I think he's good to go. It probably hurts a little bit in PPR to see part of his touches go to carries but it's also hard to complain if he gets >40 yards during one of those.

I'm probably the biggest Patterson supporter around and I agree with this. I think he sees decent targets but nothing like the elite WRs in the league. The bonus of course is what Patterson offers in the rushing department. No other WR in football offers his skill set and multi-threat potential other than Harvin. These guys don't NEED to amass as many receiving targets to be very impactful fantasy players... See last week. Of course he isn't going to break a long TD run every week, but the added potential does add some stability to his fantasy results in light of not getting the same passing opportunities of other top WRs.

And not only the occasional long rushing TD, but that's what he's capable of in the short passing game as well.

In the end, he will probably produce around a guy like Roddy this year. But he has a higher ceiling.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss believes it "makes sense" to have Darrelle Revis shadow Cordarrelle Patterson this week.

Revis didn't shadow Mike Wallace in Week 1, instead he mostly just stuck to the left cornerback spot. With Patterson being the lone real offensive threat on the outside for the Vikings, it could be in the Patriots' best interests to have Revis take him away and let slot CB Kyle Arrington handle Greg Jennings. Even if Revis follows Patterson around, it's impossible to sit C-Pat in fantasy lineups. He's too big of a playmaker with the ball in his hands, whether it be on quick passes, jet sweeps, or straight handoffs out of the backfield. He's a WR2/3.

Related: Darrelle Revis

Source: Mike Reiss on Twitter

Sep 10 - 10:05 AM

Vikings film review: Offense, Rudolph

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/8922/vikings-film-review-offense-2

Excerpt:

Lastly, Cordarrelle Patterson: Defensive coordinators are going to have their hands full figuring out what the Vikings will do with him. They faked an end around to him on the first play of the game, gave him the ball on the first of two jet sweeps on the second play, faked the jet sweep again later, isolated him in man coverage as a split end, and motioned him from a flanker position to a tailback spot with 2:08 left in the third quarter, when he took a toss from Cassel, followed blocks from Fusco, Sullivan and Matt Asiata, and raced 67 yards for a touchdown, making (by my count) six defenders miss in the process as Adam Thielen (who had a solid day as a blocking receiver) escorted Patterson down the field and tried to stay out of his way on the final five yards of the run. If teams aren't going to kick to Patterson -- and the Rams contained him with two well-angled deep kickoffs -- the Vikings can take advantage of plays like these, which capitalize on Patterson's superb vision and speed much like kick returns would. On a day where Turner unveiled diverse roles for a number of players on his offense, none was more dangerous in that role than Patterson.

I love Patterson. His future is bright but if you have a decent WR on the bench this week I think you should sit him. He's just not that polished of a WR yet and if they have Revis shadow him 0 receptions is a possibility imo.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss believes it "makes sense" to have Darrelle Revis shadow Cordarrelle Patterson this week.

Revis didn't shadow Mike Wallace in Week 1, instead he mostly just stuck to the left cornerback spot. With Patterson being the lone real offensive threat on the outside for the Vikings, it could be in the Patriots' best interests to have Revis take him away and let slot CB Kyle Arrington handle Greg Jennings. Even if Revis follows Patterson around, it's impossible to sit C-Pat in fantasy lineups. He's too big of a playmaker with the ball in his hands, whether it be on quick passes, jet sweeps, or straight handoffs out of the backfield. He's a WR2/3.

Looking at PFF's coverage marks, it appears he did "shadow" Mike Wallace last week on Wallace's way to 7 rec 81 yds and a TD. It was only person that it shows him covering a pass against and while Revis was covering him, Wallace was targeted 5 times and caught 2 balls for 36 yds and the TD.

IMO, there's no such thing as Revis island any longer, while he did have 2 passes defended out of those 5 targets, he doesn't appear to play the entire game. Wallace was covered by 4 others and had 11 targets on the day.

If Wallace can beat Revis, so can Cordarrelle.

ETA: Wallace's TD was somewhat flukey, but if you watch all his targets, he got behind Revis a couple of times - he's not the guy he used to be IMO.

Rotoworld:

Revis Shadowed Mike Wallace last week on his way to 7 rec 81 yds and a TD. While Revis was covering him, Wallace was targeted 5 times and caught 2 balls for 36 yds and the TD.

There's no such thing as Revis island any longer. He only covered Wallace and while he did have 2 passes defended out of those 5 targets, he doesn't appear to play the entire game. Wallace was covered by 4 others and had 11 targets on the day.

umm..isn't that good?

it's not like he followed wallace around all day

he actually batted that td ball and it just ended up right in wallace's arms.

Rotoworld:

Revis Shadowed Mike Wallace last week on his way to 7 rec 81 yds and a TD. While Revis was covering him, Wallace was targeted 5 times and caught 2 balls for 36 yds and the TD.

There's no such thing as Revis island any longer. He only covered Wallace and while he did have 2 passes defended out of those 5 targets, he doesn't appear to play the entire game. Wallace was covered by 4 others and had 11 targets on the day.

umm..isn't that good?

it's not like he followed wallace around all day

he actually batted that td ball and it just ended up right in wallace's arms.
yeah I had to update my post a bit.

ETA: Wallace did have another "TD" at the 4 minute mark in the 2nd quarter that was just barely out of bounds in the endzone where he burned Revis and had about 5 yards between them. Would have been a 33 yard TD.

Rotoworld:

Looking at PFF's coverage marks, it appears he did "shadow" Mike Wallace last week on Wallace's way to 7 rec 81 yds and a TD. It was only person that it shows him covering a pass against and while Revis was covering him, Wallace was targeted 5 times and caught 2 balls for 36 yds and the TD.

no, revis stayed on the left all game -- he didn't shadow anyone

Rotoworld:

no, revis stayed on the left all game -- he didn't shadow anyone
Fine, lets forget the word shadow.

Wallace had success against Revis and I don't think it should be all that concerning to have Revis covering a guy like Cordarrelle.

Users who are viewing this thread