What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Cordarrelle Patterson, PIT (1 Viewer)

from Rotoworld:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson does not show the same explosion in his route running as he does with the ball in his hands.

Patterson "needs a lot of refinement running routes," Cosell tweeted. "Needs (a) quality WR coach." We've said the same about Patterson, but somehow he consistently created separation at the FBS level in 2012. Team will have to project his route tree, however.

Source: Greg Cosell on Twitter
isnt he more of a Mike Wallace style player who just gets behind the defense and uses his speed/athleticism to get open? I dont see him as a precision type wideout. Not sure how much of that matters. Although I could be totally wrong here.
Not at all. He rarely got behind the d and when he did he rarely caught the ball. His game was getting the ball on the run and using his speed and moves to get through the d , which is why people are more excited by him then just a burner. He needs a ton of help on his route - a ton - but once he has the ball, look out. Furthermore, his playmaking ability isn't reliant just on speed. He didn't simply outrun people. He has great balance and agility and sees the field well.
He didnt have a problem getting behind NC States Defense in the first game of the season http://forumimages.footballguys.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/bag.gif
How far did he have to run, though?Patterson has great top end, but he doesn't get off the line quickly so that's going to hurt him in the intermediate game.
According to sports science he gets off the line very quickly
Yea I seen that According to sports science he is the fastest receiver ever tested off the line and at the light blink he is off the line in a flash... whoever said that he couldn't get off line quick must be watching wrong guy..... geez. o peats... he is only the fastest off line but he can't get off line, makes lots of sense.

Did Sports Science put a corner pressing in front of him when the light blinked? If not I'm not sure how it's relevant. It's not just a reflexes thing. A CB in his face with their hands in his chest for five yards, bumping him off his route (that he hasn't completely learned to run yet) is a lot different than just sprinting off the line when a light blinks.

The Vikings will get him the ball in space a lot. I'm just saying that like lots of their pseudo-sciency tests, this one is pretty useless.

Maybe, but the kid is a size/speed specimen. You don't think he can beat the jam? If he can't already, he'll learn.

Maybe, but the kid is a size/speed specimen. You don't think he can beat the jam? If he can't already, he'll learn.
Wasn't arguing he can't, or can't learn. Just arguing that the Sports Science test off the line means nothing.
Both points are largely irrelevant as almost no college CBs jam at the LOS anyway. So while Patterson may not have faced it often, none of the other did either. From what I can tell, SEC teams actually do it far more frequently than any other conference. So I'd image Patterson had a decent share of press to beat in comparison to other rookie WRs. I know Austin almost never saw it and he is the guy most compared to Patterson.

I don't really get the comp to Tavon. They are both fast. Tavon has better moves (but not by leaps and bounds). He's a bit quicker.

Patterson is much bigger and more physical. Not as refined.

I like Pattersons upside better than Tavon but he comes with a much lower floor. But watch Patterson with some of those physical catches in double teams. It's pretty enticing to a NFL GM even if he's a bit raw. Just a beast. Reminds me of Hakeem Nicks' physicality.

Tavon is small. That's a bit concerning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really get the comp to Tavon. They are both fast. Tavon has better moves (but not by leaps and bounds). He's a bit quicker. Patterson is much bigger and more physical. Not as refined. I like Pattersons upside better than Tavon but he comes with a much lower floor. But watch Patterson with some of those physical catches in double teams. It's pretty enticing to a NFL GM even if he's a bit raw. Just a beast. Reminds me of Hakeem Nicks' physicality.Tavon is small. That's a bit concerning.
I think Tavon's size "issues" are overblown. See the last post (mine) in the Tavon Austin Upside thread.

Wasn't arguing he can't, or can't learn. Just arguing that the Sports Science test off the line means nothing.
Sports Science should not be discussed when evaluating players. It has a 'wow, that's cool' factor but it's rather meaningless.

I just smell bust with this guy. He has all the tools and ability to be a great WR, but I wouldn't draft him unless I was really deep at WR.

Rotoworld:

Vikings first-round WR Cordarrelle Patterson will be used on kick returns, but is not yet being tried on punts.
Coach Leslie Frazier named five other players who will be given a look on punts. However, there's no denying Patterson's playmaking ability in the open field, and we anticipate the Vikings giving Patterson a chance sooner than later.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Patterson could be the top WR in this class, except he hasn't proved it in on the field, in workouts, or off the field... other than that he is the truth.

Don't post often and rarely stake a claim, but I believe fellow Tennessee WR Justin Hunter will out-perform Patterson, both short and long term.

Rotoworld:

Coach Leslie Frazier says "the plan" is to ease first-round WR Cordarrelle Patterson in behind Greg Jennings and Jerome Simpson as a rookie.
This isn't the first time we've heard this, and it isn't surprising. "We don’t want to give him too much early," Frazier said. "We want to make sure we do enough to get him on the field and really go to his strengths. There are some things that we have in mind. But everything that I’ve seen, we’ll be able to utilize his talents." If Simpson flops again and Patterson shines when given the opportunity, then it will be hard to keep the rookie off the field.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Sure it does, his reaction time was TWICE AS FAST as every other prospect they tested from this draft. That reaction still attests to his amazing reflexes, you don't think his amazing ability to make people miss has nothing to do with the fact he has faster reflexes than the people he is making miss?

Sure it does, his reaction time was TWICE AS FAST as every other prospect they tested from this draft. That reaction still attests to his amazing reflexes, you don't think his amazing ability to make people miss has nothing to do with the fact he has faster reflexes than the people he is making miss?
His amazing reflexes are absolutely relevant. Not so much when it comes to breaking free at the LOS as other aspects of the game IMO, but still highly relevant. Saying the test means nothing is kind of silly. If that test means nothing then so do every typeset at the combine. Many of them are also testing similar attributes in a different way.

Interesting that he had the slowest three cone time of any WR drafted in the first four rounds.

Seems like a contradiction when you consider his open field running ability.

He's elusive, but his style is a bit different. A lot of jerky start-stop quickness. Not necessarily the smoothest route runner.

He's an odd guy. Doesn't remind me of any WRs that I've seen before.

I don't like him enough to draft him, but I think he's got a high ceiling. He's on the short list of potential difference makers from this class.

EBF said:
Interesting that he had the slowest three cone time of any WR drafted in the first four rounds. Seems like a contradiction when you consider his open field running ability. He's elusive, but his style is a bit different. A lot of jerky start-stop quickness. Not necessarily the smoothest route runner. He's an odd guy. Doesn't remind me of any WRs that I've seen before. I don't like him enough to draft him, but I think he's got a high ceiling. He's on the short list of potential difference makers from this class.
Overrated athlete that did zero in the SEC. It's really likely that he will bust. He'll be on sale soon like Floyd or Baldwin. I wouldn't draft him either unless I wanted to trade him.

Heard an interview from SEC cb Darius Slay. When asked who was the best athlete in the SEC, Slay responded hands dow, Cordarelle Patterson. Hes a phenomenal athlete, hoping it translates.....

EBF said:
Interesting that he had the slowest three cone time of any WR drafted in the first four rounds. Seems like a contradiction when you consider his open field running ability. He's elusive, but his style is a bit different. A lot of jerky start-stop quickness. Not necessarily the smoothest route runner. He's an odd guy. Doesn't remind me of any WRs that I've seen before. I don't like him enough to draft him, but I think he's got a high ceiling. He's on the short list of potential difference makers from this class.
Overrated athlete that did zero in the SEC. It's really likely that he will bust. He'll be on sale soon like Floyd or Baldwin. I wouldn't draft him either unless I wanted to trade him.
This is one of the most uneducated post I've seen in a while. Did nothing in the SEC? You mean outside setting an all time record for all purpose yes in his only season?

EBF said:
This is one of the most uneducated post I've seen in a while. Did nothing in the SEC? You mean outside setting an all time record for all purpose yes in his only season?
I clearly meant as a WR

EBF said:
He's elusive, but his style is a bit different. A lot of jerky start-stop quickness. Not necessarily the smoothest route runner.

I have seen some of this from watching him as well. He is always shifting, juking, changing direction. I suppose this makes it difficult to cover him as he is throwing so many fakes it may confuse the defender and provide opportunities for Patterson to get an angle on the player. To me it looks like a lot of wasted motion that might slow him down compared to if he just ran the route the same way every time and improved the timing of his breaks. I think this is where Jennings will really help though. Jennings will teach him how to run routes effectively and help him learn when to use these moves and how to harness his play style for better efficiency.

Without Jennings on the team to help Mentor this raw but talented player I would be less optimistic about his development. But Jennings is there and I think that is going to have a positive overall effect on the Vikings passing offense, Ponder, possibly Rudolph (Jennings may clear zones for him mid range) and the young WRs.

Will be interesting if keeps that jitterbug style going throughout the season. Seems good on returns but maybe not always something he should be doing when running routes, especially routes that depend on timing.

EBF said:
Interesting that he had the slowest three cone time of any WR drafted in the first four rounds.

I don't like him enough to draft him, but I think he's got a high ceiling. He's on the short list of potential difference makers from this class.
Pre-NFL (college performance, scouting reports), the name that has always stuck in my head as a comparison is Troy Williamson. Single season of explosive, but average production. Raw, but superbly talented athlete who is expected to take some time to adjust to the pro game.

Now I have no reason to think he'll bust in the NFL like TW did, but that's the one guy I keep coming back to as a similiar prospect.

EBF said:

Pre-NFL (college performance, scouting reports), the name that has always stuck in my head as a comparison is Troy Williamson. Single season of explosive, but average production. Raw, but superbly talented athlete who is expected to take some time to adjust to the pro game.

Now I have no reason to think he'll bust in the NFL like TW did, but that's the one guy I keep coming back to as a similiar prospect.
They share one similarities: played in the SEC

They have different body types, different aspects to their game, and Patterson has put up stats every year he was in college(first two were just in JUCO).

EBF said:

Does Cordarelle Patterson have hands of stone?

meyerj31 said:
Patterson could be the top WR in this class, except he hasn't proved it in on the field, in workouts, or off the field... other than that he is the truth.
x2
Vs winning SEC teams he dominated averaging 3 rec for 40 yards. He was tied for 3rd on his team in receiving TD's. Good luck hoping he breaks out in the NFL.
For reference: Justin Hunter averaged 4.5 rec for 60 yards 0 TD vs winning SEC teams.

EBF said:
Pre-NFL (college performance, scouting reports), the name that has always stuck in my head as a comparison is Troy Williamson. Single season of explosive, but average production. Raw, but superbly talented athlete who is expected to take some time to adjust to the pro game. Now I have no reason to think he'll bust in the NFL like TW did, but that's the one guy I keep coming back to as a similiar prospect.
He's had a few drops from what I've seen. James Jones-esque, ugly. But the Vikings didn't draft him for his hands.He can catch short passes with ease.

EBF said:
Pre-NFL (college performance, scouting reports), the name that has always stuck in my head as a comparison is Troy Williamson. Single season of explosive, but average production. Raw, but superbly talented athlete who is expected to take some time to adjust to the pro game. Now I have no reason to think he'll bust in the NFL like TW did, but that's the one guy I keep coming back to as a similiar prospect.
He's had a few drops from what I've seen. James Jones-esque, ugly. But the Vikings didn't draft him for his hands.He can catch short passes with ease.
His hands are pretty small. I don't think that's helps him any.

Rotoworld:

The Vikings are using first-round pick Cordarrelle Patterson at "X" receiver behind Jerome Simpson.
Patterson may be too raw to unseat Simpson by Week 1, but we would expect his role to grow as Patterson's rookie year progresses. WRs coach George Stewart insists Patterson has been a quick study at OTAs: "He’s not a guy that you look at that’s behind on things. He’s sharp." Patterson is already locked in as the Vikings' primary kickoff returner, with Marcus Sherels handling punts. X receiver -- or split end -- is the deep threat in OC Bill Musgrave's offense. Greg Jennings will be the Z, which is Percy Harvin's old spot.

Related: Jerome Simpson

Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press

Rotoworld:

The Vikings are using first-round pick Cordarrelle Patterson at "X" receiver behind Jerome Simpson.
Patterson may be too raw to unseat Simpson by Week 1, but we would expect his role to grow as Patterson's rookie year progresses. WRs coach George Stewart insists Patterson has been a quick study at OTAs: "He’s not a guy that you look at that’s behind on things. He’s sharp." Patterson is already locked in as the Vikings' primary kickoff returner, with Marcus Sherels handling punts. X receiver -- or split end -- is the deep threat in OC Bill Musgrave's offense. Greg Jennings will be the Z, which is Percy Harvin's old spot.

I don't like Patterson as the X, day 1. In that role he's going to have to need more time to develop.

Finding the Fits: Vikings' Patterson the perfect Purple Playmaker

Excerpt:

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

During the next several weeks, NFLDraftScout.com will review the more intriguing picks made during the 2013 NFL Draft in a series called Finding the Fits. The goal of the series is to identify one relatively unheralded player per team who appears to be a good schematic fit and, therefore, more likely to be a surprise contributor early in his pro career.

Minnesota Vikings' best fit: WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee, first round, No. 29 overall

Adrian Peterson deserved every vote he received as the league MVP a season ago, but for the first half of the year it was Percy Harvin's versatility that helped Minnesota race out to a 5-2 start in the highly competitive NFC North division.

With Harvin shipped to Seattle, the team needed a dynamic athlete to fill his role on offense and special teams. A bold trade back into the first round by general manager Rick Spielman netted his club Patterson, the most explosive playmaker in the class.

Patterson, 6-feet-2 and 216 pounds, signed with Tennessee as a highly regarded junior college prospect in 2012 but wasn't expected to see significant playing time with All-SEC candidates Justin Hunter and Da'Rick Rogers ahead of him on the depth chart. He was thrust into a starting position once Rogers was kicked off the team by then-Vols head coach Derek Dooley and rewarded the coaches' confidence by burning North Carolina State and its talented secondary for 165 all-purpose yards in his first taste of FCS action, the nationally televised Chick-fil-A Kickoff.

Patterson's vision, agility and speed made him equally dangerous as a returner, runner and receiver and he dominated the SEC to the tune of 154.8 all-purpose yards a game, easily the highest mark in the power conference.

"When you watch the tape on him, when they put him in the backfield and pitched him the ball, if you throw him a bubble screen, when you see him go downfield, you're talking about a 6-1, 215-pound receiver who runs a 4.3[-second 40-yard dash]," Spielman told reporters following the draft. "He's electric with the ball in his hands."

While Patterson's athleticism is obvious on tape, so too is his inconsistency as a route-runner, one of the reasons he lasted until the 29th pick in a draft short on playmakers.

After raiding division rival Green Bay for steady veteran Greg Jennings, the Vikings aren't looking to Patterson to be Christian Ponder's go-to target in 2013.

Instead, they'll feature him early as a returner and ease him into the offense with plays that get him the ball in space. With defenses focused on stopping Peterson, and Ponder athletic enough to improvise, Patterson could quickly emerge as a frequent highlight reel producer.

His hands are pretty small. I don't think that's helps him any.
Love everything about his game except for the small hands..... Tavon has bigger hands than CP . His after the catch is unreal and elite though.

Coming out of college Stevie Johnson was a horrible route runner, more so un-orthodox than anything else, shifty etc, as he got open in the NFL and caught more passes his route running ability has shifted to pretty good, I remember reading an ESPN article about it. A lot of what everyone is saying about Patterson's route running sounds a-lot like Stevie Johnson's career except with more speed.

Updated original post. Really getting bullish on this guy, he's talented.
Rotoworld:

Wright will get time at the Z as well so I am uncertain about Patterson as a rookie. The easiest path to playing time will be at the X where he only has to beat out Simpson. Jennings and Wright are much more difficult for him to get past for playing time.

From what little I have seen from OTAs I thought Patterson looked very good, as a long term prospect I think he could be special, but I would not expect that much from him in 2013 beyond kick returns. I think he will get quite a few plays but he isn't as ready as Harvin was and he has more competition for those types of looks in the offense than Harvin did. Jennings is going to run a lot of those plays and Wright will get some as well. Harvin had 60 catches as a rookie. That would be the highest I could expect from him and more realistic.. he may be a 40-50 catch receiver as a rookie. Harvin averaged 61ypg receiving and 12.6ypc on runs. If you are getting some pts for return yardage that made for a VERY consistent floor of points from Harvin at 73ypg+returns.

I think Jennings gets most of those targets however and Patterson will be more situational when they want to run or decoy the run with him.

I'm not expecting much out of him this year, but in a year or two he could be a dynamite player.

I think he's going to have a long learning curve like Dez Bryant, with not quite as much upside if he does develop.

He's going to have to spend a lot of time learning routes but I could see him peaking as a high WR2 in a few years, if he works on his work ethic.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Kevin Seifert says a half-dozen people have told him recently how impressive rookie Cordarrelle Patterson has been this offseason.

Patterson was a lock to excel in non-padded drills in which defenders aren't allowed to touch him. He's a physical freak that can run by anyone. The key to beating out Jerome Simpson for the starting split end job will be getting off jams at the line of scrimmage and running crisp routes in traffic. Patterson won't have a chance to show he's polished enough to do that until camp.

Source: ESPN.com

Cordarrelle Patterson faster than Randy Moss?By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Minnesota Vikings first-rounder Cordarrelle Patterson wears uniform No. 84 because Randy Moss was his boyhood hero.

Patterson's position coach at the University of Tennessee has noticed similarities between the two wide receivers, going as far as to suggest the rookie could be even more talented than Moss. "When you look at just the sheer speed and athleticism, Cordarrelle may have even more explosion than Randy had," Charlie Baggett told The Star Tribune's Dan Wiederer. "Honestly. He's that special."

Baggett isn't ready to put the raw, undisciplined Patterson in Moss' class as an NFL receiver, though. "I don't want people misinterpreting me as saying Cordarrelle is better or will be better than Randy Moss," Baggett explained. "When it comes to everything else that's needed to be an elite NFL receiver, he has a long way to go to reach Randy. But he definitely has that ability. He really does."

Frankly, the Patterson-Moss comparison is an awkward one. Special with the ball in his hands, Patterson more closely resembles physical post-catch playmakers such as Terrell Owens or Julio Jones. Moss, on the other hand, was simply the most dominant deep threat the game has ever seen.

The Vikings had originally planned to "ease" Patterson in as the primary kickoff returner and backup "X" receiver behind Jerome Simpson. After a "half-dozen" people told ESPN.com's Mike Sando how impressive the No. 29 overall pick was in offseason practices, the coaching staff might have to adjust expectations.

Don't be surprised if Patterson joins Tavon Austin of the St. Louis Rams as rookies taking the league by storm early in the season.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

Cordarrelle Patterson faster than Randy Moss?

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Minnesota Vikings first-rounder Cordarrelle Patterson wears uniform No. 84 because Randy Moss was his boyhood hero.

Patterson's position coach at the University of Tennessee has noticed similarities between the two wide receivers, going as far as to suggest the rookie could be even more talented than Moss. "When you look at just the sheer speed and athleticism, Cordarrelle may have even more explosion than Randy had," Charlie Baggett told The Star Tribune's Dan Wiederer. "Honestly. He's that special."

Baggett isn't ready to put the raw, undisciplined Patterson in Moss' class as an NFL receiver, though. "I don't want people misinterpreting me as saying Cordarrelle is better or will be better than Randy Moss," Baggett explained. "When it comes to everything else that's needed to be an elite NFL receiver, he has a long way to go to reach Randy. But he definitely has that ability. He really does."

Frankly, the Patterson-Moss comparison is an awkward one. Special with the ball in his hands, Patterson more closely resembles physical post-catch playmakers such as Terrell Owens or Julio Jones. Moss, on the other hand, was simply the most dominant deep threat the game has ever seen.

The Vikings had originally planned to "ease" Patterson in as the primary kickoff returner and backup "X" receiver behind Jerome Simpson. After a "half-dozen" people told ESPN.com's Mike Sando how impressive the No. 29 overall pick was in offseason practices, the coaching staff might have to adjust expectations.

Don't be surprised if Patterson joins Tavon Austin of the St. Louis Rams as rookies taking the league by storm early in the season.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.
I love Patterson but its crazy to suggest he's faster and more explosive than Moss was. Early Moss has ridiculous video game speed and explosiveness. Patterson is elite IMO, but Moss was out of this world and perhaps the most explosive player ever in the NFL. None the less, I've been expecting Patterson to have a much larger role in the Minn offense than has been suggested this far. He's an electric playmaker and Minn will continue to realize this and thus continue to expand his role IMO.

"When you look at just the sheer speed and athleticism, Cordarrelle may have even more explosion than Randy had," Charlie Baggett told The Star Tribune's Dan Wiederer. "Honestly. He's that special."
I'm as big of a Patterson fan as anyone, but c'mon Charlie.

Patterson is much better with the ball in his hands than he is without. He could probably play RB full-time, whereas Moss can't.

I took him over Austin and Hopkins in every draft I had that option but one league (I play in 15 total)

My leagues don't have return yardage

3optic said:
Would return yardage scoring vault him past Hopkins in dynasty rookie draft?
Some may have Hopkins higher than Patterson is PPR leagues I suppose. Yes the return yards would increase Patterson's value.

It is possible I am being too conservative in the number of receptions for Patterson.

I really liked this article for breakdown of the top rookie WR: http://secondroundstats.com/2013/02/04/tier1-wrs/
Very nice distribution for Hopkins, really shows he can do it all.

I'd love to know what Patterson's YAC was on those 11-20 passes.

I'm no Keenan Allen fan, but you can't use him in a comparison like this. Maynard was barely D1 quality... any pass beyond 8 yards was an adventure for him. Meanwhile guys like Patterson/Hunter, Hopkins, and Bailey all had legit NFL (and in the case of Boyd and Smith high caliber NFL) talents throwing them the rock and playing in offenses that played to those strengths. It's ike comparing the production and use of Larry Fitzgerald the last couple of years to Marques Colston and Jordy Nelson. Doesn't really speak to the overall value and talent of the player.

Users who are viewing this thread