What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Cordarrelle Patterson, PIT (2 Viewers)

The exception to his redraft value would be in return yardage leagues. This kid may be one of the best returners in the league on day 1, and if your scoring system rewards that enough, it may make him a lot more viable. In my leagues, on return value alone he's a speculative flex week to week.

That's where I'm most likely to take the plunge. In standard or even PPR leagues, he could frustrate a bit in redraft.

He's absolute dynamite with the ball in his hands though. I'd love to have him in a dynast -- very, VERY high ceiling player.
Is he the de facto K/PR for the Viqueens though? His preseason usage surely doesn't imply it. I ask because I just joined my first "return" league and so I drafted T. Austin and Patterson both and I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy from Patterson.
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=682502&page=3#entry15853916

Patterson on kick returns not punts, Austin on punt returns not kicks. Or you could read 3 posts above yours.
Well, I eventually did get to that post. That's the problem with replying with a quote to an older post. Either way, thanks for the info.

Didnt see him in the box score in the last game. did he play?
No, most of our starters were out for the final preseason game.
Which is great news for Patterson owners. He will be heavily involved in this offense from game 1 IMO.
On the depth chart i see him listed behind simpson. But does it seem as if he will be heavily involved in the offense? Will he be returning punts and kickoffs as well?

On the depth chart i see him listed behind simpson. But does it seem as if he will be heavily involved in the offense? Will he be returning punts and kickoffs as well?
I'm wondering the same things
Based on the preseason I think he will be the primary Kickoff returner. (He didn't field a single punt in a preseason game.) He's still behind Simpson now but after Simpsons first five drops, (likely the first five throws he sees) he will be the starter.

Based on the preseason I think he will be the primary Kickoff returner. (He didn't field a single punt in a preseason game.) He's still behind Simpson now but after Simpsons first five drops, (likely the first five throws he sees) he will be the starter.
nice. Barring Patterson not knowing his assignments, I have a hard time seeing Simpson keeping him off the field deep into the season. I think the Viking O could use a playmaker like Patterson.

nice. Barring Patterson not knowing his assignments, I have a hard time seeing Simpson keeping him off the field deep into the season. I think the Viking O could use a playmaker like Patterson.
I'm calling for at least 5 targets/touches for Patterson against the Lions not counting Kickoff returns. (There will be plenty of those as we are not even close to ready for prime time on the D side.) Prediction: Patterson will get at least two quick screens, a reverse, a ten yard out and a bomb on the turf in Detroit. (You are correct... we need a playmaker on O not named ADPMVP...they will come out the gate trying to establish Patterson as exactly that.)

jurb26 said:
Buffaloes said:
Punts, no. KO, possibly but I'm not sure how much.Wait a week and you will see. Patterson will be in contention for ROY this year. JMO of course.
Patterson was my favorite WR going into the draft, but I wasnt expecting much from him as a rookie. Put him on MIN and Im expecting even less. At best, he's behind Jennings and Rudolph for targets.

I dont think he'll have an awful year, but for FF to me he is one of the most overdrafted WRs going.

jurb26 said:
Buffaloes said:
Punts, no. KO, possibly but I'm not sure how much.Wait a week and you will see. Patterson will be in contention for ROY this year. JMO of course.
Patterson was my favorite WR going into the draft, but I wasnt expecting much from him as a rookie. Put him on MIN and Im expecting even less. At best, he's behind Jennings and Rudolph for targets.

I dont think he'll have an awful year, but for FF to me he is one of the most overdrafted WRs going.
I got him with the last pick in both of my drafts. Went second to past round in the one I didn't get him in.

Where are you seeing him overdrafted?

In my opinion he's a great home run flyer.

His potential to boom will correlate to how much the Vikings staff gets him involved.

In leagues where KR/PR yds are 1 for every 30 and also 6 pt. tds, I believe his ranking will be top 20 this year. ####, Josh Cribbs hopped into the 16th over spot a few years ago when he was a stud on KR/PR duties. Patterson has looked good from what ive seen. Some even chattering about his becoming Elite in the future.

Im an owner and a fan. I believe in the kid... I was very happy Austin was drafted before him and he fell to 9.

jurb26 said:
Buffaloes said:

I think for redraft yes. Dynasty...he could be Harvin with Julio Jones body. If Harvin could post numbers with Ponder, shouldn't Patterson be able to grow into at least the same numbers by next year?

Took a flyer in both my leagues. Got him in the 3rd to last round in both (def, K last 2). One league is a KR/PR league so he has some more value there. We'll see what happens. Highest I'm expecting is a serviceable WR4 that can be plugged in for bye weeks.

jurb26 said:
Buffaloes said:

I got him with the last pick in both of my drafts. Went second to past round in the one I didn't get him in.

His potential to boom will correlate to how much the Vikings staff gets him involved.
He's barely in my top 65 WRs this year, basically only ahead of guys with bigger question marks or injuries than him. His ADP is WR50. Doesnt sound like much, but there are a lot of valuable WRs between those 2 points.

Im sure he will have a few big plays this year, whether as a return man or WR, but I dont think he's he a great home run flyer by any means. He has big play potential, but he wont get enough opportunities to exploit it.

jurb26 said:
Buffaloes said:

I think for redraft yes. Dynasty...he could be Harvin with Julio Jones body. If Harvin could post numbers with Ponder, shouldn't Patterson be able to grow into at least the same numbers by next year?
While I disgree with those who called Patterson a body catcher, I agree that his biggest weakness is route running, which is the clear roadblock between Patterson and his chances of sniffing Harvin numbers.

Either way, Patterson is not going to be Harvin, theyre different WRs. Patterson has great RAC ability, but its more creating in the open field compared to Harvin's ability to make people miss and rely on pure speed.

Id like him more in dynasty if he had a QB but I dont think Ponder is going to be there in a few years.

as to patterson's role as rookie, i'd think it is still very fluid and in flux... if he does well with early opportunities, his role could grow quickly... he is raw, but so was josh gordon last year... one thing he has going for him, he is far more talented than simpson...

as to QB situation, if ponder proves to not be viable long term starter, there will be a different QB in few years... this factor concerns me a lot more in redraft than dynasty...

jurb26 said:
Buffaloes said:

He's barely in my top 65 WRs this year, basically only ahead of guys with bigger question marks or injuries than him. His ADP is WR50. Doesnt sound like much, but there are a lot of valuable WRs between those 2 points.

Im sure he will have a few big plays this year, whether as a return man or WR, but I dont think he's he a great home run flyer by any means. He has big play potential, but he wont get enough opportunities to exploit it.
Who are you going to get in the 14th round that has more potential than Patterson? Saying he's over-drafted is silly. I've got him on all of my teams and the earliest I took him in any league was round 13. He's my WR5 or lower in every league. There is nothing to dislike at that price.

jurb26 said:
Buffaloes said:

Who are you going to get in the 14th round that has more potential than Patterson? Saying he's over-drafted is silly. I've got him on all of my teams and the earliest I took him in any league was round 13. He's my WR5 or lower in every league. There is nothing to dislike at that price.
I just dont think his ceiling is all that high for this year, and I doubt he will be consistent either. He's going a lot later than fellow rookie WRs Austin and Hopkins for a reason.

The exception to his redraft value would be in return yardage leagues. This kid may be one of the best returners in the league on day 1, and if your scoring system rewards that enough, it may make him a lot more viable. In my leagues, on return value alone he's a speculative flex week to week.

That's where I'm most likely to take the plunge. In standard or even PPR leagues, he could frustrate a bit in redraft.

He's absolute dynamite with the ball in his hands though. I'd love to have him in a dynast -- very, VERY high ceiling player.
Is he the de facto K/PR for the Viqueens though? His preseason usage surely doesn't imply it. I ask because I just joined my first "return" league and so I drafted T. Austin and Patterson both and I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy from Patterson.
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=682502&page=3#entry15853916

Patterson on kick returns not punts, Austin on punt returns not kicks. Or you could read 3 posts above yours.
Well, I eventually did get to that post. That's the problem with replying with a quote to an older post. Either way, thanks for the info.
Sorry for being snippy. The information is there if people will just read the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw this posted and I already think he could surprise alot of folks this year but he could beused alot more in the offense then I thought.

. Could be a starter by mid season

Cordarrelle Patterson is Percy Harvin 2.0?

by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com
(11:00 am ET) Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said Wednesday rookie receiver Cordarrelle Patterson is doing a good job assuming some of the responsibilites former Minnesota wide receiver Percy Harvin had before he was traded to Seattle. Patterson had eight catches for 84 yards and no touchdowns in the preseason.

He went undrafted in our draft (8 rounds/keeper)... would you gamble on him over Dobson? thx
I would. Dobson has a much better situation with Brady vis-a-vis Patterson/Ponder, but who knows how much PT and targets Dobson get. Patterson at least is a 1st rounder for whom the Vikings gave up FOUR draft picks - from the Patriots, incidentally - so you know they have big plans for him.

Just saw this posted and I already think he could surprise alot of folks this year but he could beused alot more in the offense then I thought.

. Could be a starter by mid season

Cordarrelle Patterson is Percy Harvin 2.0?

by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com(11:00 am ET) Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said Wednesday rookie receiver Cordarrelle Patterson is doing a good job assuming some of the responsibilites former Minnesota wide receiver Percy Harvin had before he was traded to Seattle. Patterson had eight catches for 84 yards and no touchdowns in the preseason.
I agree with you that he will be worked in on offense a lot, but couldn't this quote just be talking about kick/punt returns, aka some of the responsibilities that Percy Harvin had?

I like his talent, i hate all of his potential QBs.

I think in re drafts he is at least worth drafting just in case he starts off like harvin did last year. But in dynasty formats and auction/keeper where you might get him cheap, i think its worth look as a boom or bust type guy with crazy potential

This is the 1st time I have heard anything about this-

by Chris Towers | CBSSports.com

[SIZE=.8em](9/4/13)[/SIZE] Vikings wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson was limited in practice Wednesday, due to a back injury. It is not clear when he suffered the injury, but it does not appear to be an issue that should limit him in Week 1 against the Lions.
I hope it isn't serious, still not a good thing to hear. If anyone has more details please share them.

Back - Limited practice. Questionable for Week 1 at Detroit

By Kyle Meinke | kmeinke@mlive.com

Follow on Twitter

on September 05, 2013 at 8:28 AM, updated September 05, 2013 at 8:30 AM

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions cornerback Darius Slay might be making his NFL debut Sunday, but he's also the only guy who has faced the Minnesota Vikings' newest weapon.

How could he forget him?

Cordarrelle Patterson, after all, burned Slay for a touchdown last year while he was at Tennessee and Slay at Mississippi State. And cornerbacks don't forget stuff like that -- at least, not ones as prideful as Slay.

He'll get his rematch this weekend when Patterson's Minnesota Vikings visit Ford Field for the season opener (1 p.m., Fox).

"He hit me with a double-move -- slant and go -- and I bit on the slant a little bit," Slay said, retelling the play as if it occurred last week. "Then I looked back for the ball, and I shouldn't have looked back. Should have played through his hands and would have made the play then.

"It was stupid, man. But here we are."

The Vikings still features the indomitable Adrian Peterson, the game's best tailback, but tried to diversify their attack by first signing former Green Bay Packers wideout Greg Jennings this offseason, then giving up three draft picks to draft Patterson.

Patterson is an electrifying talent who rocketed into the first round after crushing the combine's 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds. He's expected to fill a Percy Harvin-type role in Minnesota.

Perhaps, even right away. He had eight catches for 84 yards in three preseason games, plus returned one kick 50 yards.

"He's pretty close (to Harvin)," Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said. "It'll be a challenge for him on Sunday because what we saw in the preseason, the speed of the game is going to pick up a little bit and the defensive schemes are going to be far different in what they were in the preseason. There's going to be an adjustment like there is for most first-year wide receivers.

"I think over time he'll just continue to get better and better. He's been impressive in some things we've asked him to do here in the preseason."

Slay will counter for Detroit. The second-rounder solidified his starting role weeks ago and will line up on the right side for his first career NFL game.

Think his confidence is shaken after getting burned last season by Patterson?

"He had two catches on me -- one for a touchdown -- but other than that I pretty much did my job," Slay said. "Got beat on a little fade route, but that was it. I'm pretty confident -- I'm pretty confident every time I step in front of someone. I'm always confident.

"My job is to dominate, and that's what I'm trying to do."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/09/detroit_lions_darius_slay_vikings_cordarrelle_patterson.html

Cordarrelle Patterson (back) was limited in Vikings practice Wednesday.

It's a new injury for Patterson. However, we have no reason to believe he won't play in the opener against Detroit. It's hard to like the first-rounder as anything more than a WR5 until we see what kind of role he has on offense. Sep 4 - 6:42 PM

Vikings rookie wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson was limited in practice on Thursday due to a back injury.

Patterson was also limited in Wednesday's practice for the same reason, but there has been no indication that he will sit-out or be limited in the team's season opener versus the Lions. Though his role may not be limited per se, that isn't to say it would be very big in the first place.

Fantasy Spin: Patterson had some electrifying moments in preseason and could pan out to be a nice long-term option in the Vikings offense. Unfortunately, Patterson's involvement with the first-team offense is still something of an unknown at this stage of the season, and the speedster will have to compete with Greg Jennings, Kyle Rudolph and Jerome Simpson for targets. Patterson's done nothing to suggest that he won't be a viable option down the road, but fantasy owners in leagues of all sizes need to look elsewhere to round-out their fantasy lineups this week.

http://www.sbnation.com/fantasy/2013/9/5/4699522/cordarrelle-patterson-injury-fantasy-football-vikings-wide-receivers
The main loss to the Vikings here would be on kick returns. Special teams almost single handedly won one of the games against the Lions last season.

Just hoping this is not something that is a problem for him all season.

Patterson is one of the most raw WRs drafted in the first round in the past 15 years. He is electric with the ball in his hands, but his route-running and actual WR skills need 1-2 years to develop. Add in the fact that he was drafted to the most pass-challenged team in the NFL, and I wouldn't expect him to be usable for FF purposes this year, except in return yardage leagues.

Cordarrelle Patterson ready for his debut by Chris Towers | CBSSports.com

[SIZE=.8em](4:43 pm ET)[/SIZE] Vikings wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson was limited in practice throughout the week leading up to Sunday's game against the Lions due to a back injury. In spite of this, he is expected to make his NFL debut in Week 1 after being listed as probable on the team's official injury report Friday. Cordarrelle Patterson might be limited in debut by Chris Towers | CBSSports.com
[SIZE=.8em](12:02 am ET)[/SIZE] Vikings rookie wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson has been limited in practice by a back injury this week, but it is not expected to hamper him when he makes his NFL debut in Week 1 against the Lions Sunday.

Given Patterson's nonexistent track record, it is difficult to figure out what to expect from the 29th overall pick in this year's draft. The Lions weren't particularly good at stopping wide receivers last season, but they did manage to shut the Vikings down in two contests, holding them to 212 yards on 17 catches. That was done by a different receiving corps, but it was the same quarterback under center, as Patterson will be trying to haul in passes from Christian Ponder.

Patterson has a ton of upside, but the Vikings have not shown an explosive passing game in the recent past. Fantasy owners are tantalized by Patterson's potential, but should not be relying on him until he shows he can translate that to production. Consider him just a low-end flex option at best for Week 1.

Cordarrelle Patterson restricted in practice again by Chris Towers | CBSSports.com[SIZE=.8em](9/5/13)[/SIZE] Vikings wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson did not appear to make much progress in practice Thursday, as he was limited yet again with a back injury. The extent of the injury is not known, however the team has given no indication that Patterson is expected to miss time in Week 1 against the Lions Sunday. Cordarrelle Patterson limited with back injury by Chris Towers | CBSSports.com
[SIZE=.8em](9/4/13)[/SIZE] Vikings wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson was limited in practice Wednesday, due to a back injury. It is not clear when he suffered the injury, but it does not appear to be an issue that should limit him in Week 1 against the Lions.
Listed as probable so maybe I am worrying too much. It is never good when a rookie misses practice though. They need all of the reps they can get.

Patterson is one of the most raw WRs drafted in the first round in the past 15 years. He is electric with the ball in his hands, but his route-running and actual WR skills need 1-2 years to develop. Add in the fact that he was drafted to the most pass-challenged team in the NFL, and I wouldn't expect him to be usable for FF purposes this year, except in return yardage leagues.
this was the stock expectation before the preseason... but team observers noted he was more advanced and developed than advertised...

Some older news/fluff-

MANKATO, Minn. -- Greg Jennings stood on the sidelines of Friday's preseason opener, watching rookie receiver Cordarrelle Patterson rack up 104 all-purpose yards in the first half.

In his eighth NFL season, Jennings is a two-time Pro Bowler, a Super Bowl champion and has taken part in some of the league's most dangerous passing attacks in his last few years with the Green Bay Packers.

But before Jennings can comment on his own play, which amounted to two snaps and no targets on Friday, he has plenty to say about Patterson.

"I'm high on the guy," Jennings said. "I ride him a little bit, trying to stay in his ear about little things. Little things to try and sharpen up and detail."

Patterson was targeted seven times on Friday, catching four passes in a variety of ways: sacrificing his body on midfield crossing routes and snagging a catch along the sideline.

From a veteran's perspective, Jennings said it's not about the way Patterson broke through opposing tacklers or how he found the seam on his opening 50-yard kick return -- it's the attitude, which trumps talent in building a great wide receiver.

"As far as his talent, you don't teach talent," Jennings said. "You just have it. [Patterson] has the skill set. He knows what he can do out there. It's just a matter of doing it every single play, not one play here, one play there, just every single play."

Reminiscing to his days with the Packers, Jennings said he needed veteran support just like any rookie.

"Even more so than [Donald] Driver, was Robert Ferguson. I came in competing for a job with Ferguson, he pretty much pushed me in the back every day: 'we have to do this, have to do that.' Driver, he was more of an example-type guy, led more by action, didn't say too much," Jennings said. "I remember him telling me, slow down, everything doesn't have to be so fast."

Jennings said he had some similar advice for Patterson.

"[Patterson] just has to learn how to control his speed," Jennings said. "It's a touchy situation. It's a young guy, his talent is going to do a lot for him, but it's using that talent and honing it the right way to where he can be a heck of a player in this league. He will be. I'm sure he will be. But I'm talking right now."

It's clear by Patterson's comments after Friday's game that both coach Leslie Frazier, who preaches a team-first mentality, and Jennings are in Patterson's head, either creating or reinforcing a humble attitude.

After being asked if fans and media can expect the same out of Patterson every night, the rookie shook his head, smiled and delivered a remark that's not typical for a first-year receiver who had an impressive debut.

"I can't say I'm going to do this, do that, it don't happen," Patterson said after Friday's game. "You just look at the film, see all the mistakes I had and go to work."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Greg_Jennings_embracing_the_mentor_role_with_Cordarrelle_Patterson081113
I do not think Patterson is as raw as some have made him out to be as a rookie prospect. He has shown good hands thus far. Just needs to keep working on his route running techniques.

this was the stock expectation before the preseason... but team observers noted he was more advanced and developed than advertised...
That was a horrible misconception. There were a few of us that tried to counter it. Yes he was raw, but the level of what people made it out to be was a huge exaggeration. He ran almost the whole route tree at Tenn in a pretty developed pro-style system. Sure it was only one year.

Maybe I'm crazy but I'm starting Patterson this week. Det D is weak in the secondary and I think this game will be a bit of a shoot out. It's a great matchup for him IMO.

If it becomes a shoot out the Vikings are in trouble jurb. The Vikings are going to be grinding with the run all game. It could work out for ya. But I hope the thoughts of shoot out are wrong.

another point about MIN being pass challenged...

nonetheless, before leaving around mid season for what proved to be season-ending ankle injury, and playing his last down in MIN, harvin was pacing for something like 120-1,300-6 receiving and 40-200-2 rushing...

as we can see, ponder (and understandably run-heavy, peterson-centric offense) weren't death blows to harvin's stats... and they don't necessarily have to for patterson, either...

another point about MIN being pass challenged...

nonetheless, before leaving around mid season for what proved to be season-ending ankle injury, and playing his last down in MIN, harvin was pacing for something like 120-1,300-6 receiving and 40-200-2 rushing...

as we can see, ponder (and understandably run-heavy, peterson-centric offense) weren't death blows to harvin's stats... and they don't necessarily have to for patterson, either...
Preach. It's not pretty but it's something to Ponder. Ponder have us ponderin'.

Ugg that was not good. He barley played and Simpson looked very good. , then again he is a rookie and they dont play as much to start, . Looks like time to cut bait and see where he is at mid season.

I tried to tell people this aint the season to count on anything from Cordarrelle.
Thank you Captain hindsight!! Who ever would have ever imagined a rookie WR might not break out right away?!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqkI691dxNg
Has nothing to do hindsight, chief. Raw rookie WR, low on the depth chart/targets likelihood, run reliant team, and bad QB to boot. Anybody who expects Patterson to be viable in FF this year isnt looking at this realistically.

Also funny how you tell me you put me on ignore for a well reasoned post I made on why Lacy is talented and should succeed in the NFL and then my first post since that Ive seen you respond to you spout this crap. Maybe you shouldve read my posts Ive quoted below instead of ignoring them :lol:

I just dont think his ceiling is all that high for this year, and I doubt he will be consistent either. He's going a lot later than fellow rookie WRs Austin and Hopkins for a reason.

Users who are viewing this thread