What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (4 Viewers)

That's a big part of why it was stupid not to sign if it's all about the money.  A hundred things could go wrong off the field.  He still has to train right?  Guys get hurt training.  Or falling down the stairs.  Or a car accident.  Or an assault.  Or illness.  Or a number of other stupid random things.  

So if it is indeed true that he doesnt need to sign this year to get tagged for a "third" time in the offseason, then well, guess what people, he isn't coming back this year.  

Unless of course the Steelers agree to pay him the full 14.5 million, which won't happen

Last edited by a moderator:
It'd be great to have him backing up or splitting carries with Conner down the stretch, but given his priorities this year, that was unlikely to really happen anyways. Unless Conner gets hurt, I'd rather have the Steelers carry over the full $14.5M into next year's salary cap. That can come in handy.

I can't wait to see how much money Bell thinks he's worth next year to make up for $14.5M he's potentially walking away from this year lol. I mean, would it end up having been worth walking away from $14.5 million this year plus the likelihood of a big contract next year to "only" get something like the $22M fully guaranteed plus rolling guarantees that Gurley got a year later? Does he really think he's going to get waaaaaaaay more fully guaranteed money than Gurley got?

And that's not even counting if you believe the reports that the Steelers offered him a multiple year deal this offseason that would've paid him $20M in base and bonus in 2018.

It'd be great to have him backing up or splitting carries with Conner down the stretch, but given his priorities this year, that was unlikely to really happen anyways. Unless Conner gets hurt, I'd rather have the Steelers carry over the full $14.5M into next year's salary cap. That can come in handy.

I can't wait to see how much money Bell thinks he's worth next year to make up for $14.5M he's potentially walking away from this year lol. I mean, would it end up having been worth walking away from $14.5 million this year plus the likelihood of a big contract next year to "only" get something like the $22M fully guaranteed plus rolling guarantees that Gurley got a year later? Does he really think he's going to get waaaaaaaay more fully guaranteed money than Gurley got?

And that's not even counting if you believe the reports that the Steelers offered him a multiple year deal this offseason that would've paid him $20M in base and bonus in 2018.
people are getting hung up on "recouping" what he lost this year....thats not happening...we are past that....we are also past the fact that maybe he should have taken one of the previous offers....he didn't....thats over with.....long gone.....what we are focusing on is what is the "play" moving forward....and right now, the best "play" for him moving forward is not to play a snap for PIT this year.....and then sign a 3-4 year contract with a new team, that will pay him quite a bit with signing bonuses and GUARANTEED money....will it be Gurley like....?...hell no, but it will still be pretty good cash....playing for PIT in the last 5 games and risking injury...just isn't worth it from a business perspective.....

people are getting hung up on "recouping" what he lost this year....thats not happening...we are past that....we are also past the fact that maybe he should have taken one of the previous offers....he didn't....thats over with.....long gone.....what we are focusing on is what is the "play" moving forward....and right now, the best "play" for him moving forward is not to play a snap for PIT this year.....and then sign a 3-4 year contract with a new team, that will pay him quite a bit with signing bonuses and GUARANTEED money....will it be Gurley like....?...hell no, but it will still be pretty good cash....playing for PIT in the last 5 games and risking injury...just isn't worth it from a business perspective.....
I agree with this.   Bell screwed the pooch but it would be even more stupid to play this year.  

Which means there is a good chance he will  ;)

My point isn't that he should have or shouldn't have done anything. He's not going to come out ahead on this and that's already been decided.

My point is that in Bell's mind, he's worth being paid like both a top RB and a top WR. He's said as much already. And there's a strong potential that he's going to factor that into whatever contract he's looking for next offseason because HE wants to come out ahead. If he waits a year, skips out on $14.5M to get only a few million dollars more in full guarantees than that a year later, then he looks like even more of a fool than he does now. 

Like I said, IF you believe the reports about what the Steelers offered him this year (long term contract with $20M in year one guarantees), it's likely that he's offered a lesser offer than that next offseason after giving up $14.5M to do it. That fact might drive him to look for even more money next year.

I agree that he shouldn't play. I wasn't sure why there was so much talk about him playing this year or being traded in the first place. Nothing was going to change the fact that no matter where he would play this year, he's still unsigned for the future and that can't change until the offseason.

I agree with this.   Bell screwed the pooch but it would be even more stupid to play this year.  

Which means there is a good chance he will  ;)
Is it Bell or Pitts system?

On Sunday, Conner, Pittsburgh's second round pick in the 2018 NFL draft, became the first running back in NFL history to rush for at least 100 yards, record at least 50 receiving yards and score at least one touchdown in four different games during the same season. In Sunday's 23-16 victory over the Baltimore Ravens, Conner rushed for 107 yards while also catching seven passes for 56 yards and a touchdown. 

ffweasel said:
Why Come Back If True?

“My understanding is the NFL management council and the NFL Players' Association, the parties that negotiated the collective bargaining agreement, are on the same page that if Bell were tagged a third time, whether he shows up this season, whether he sits out the entire year, that tag would be at the higher quarterback number, not the lower number similar to what he would be due under the franchise tag this year," Pelissero said on NFL Up To the Minute on Tuesday. "It would be extremely unlikely for the Steelers to put that higher third franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell. That would set up a scenario where they'd tag him a third time, the number is upwards of $25 million and Bell, if he wanted to, could walk in the day he's tagged, sign it and be owed $25 million for one season."

In addition, the Steelers and the NFL don't plan to argue that his 2018 tag should carry over next year.

"I've been told by both league and team sources that neither the NFL nor the Steelers have any plan to argue that the second tag should carry over, should Le'Veon Bell not play this year," NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala reported. "They are all in agreement that any potential tag would be the third (or the transition)."
wow.  this would be huge if it is true and plays out this way.

My point isn't that he should have or shouldn't have done anything. He's not going to come out ahead on this and that's already been decided.

My point is that in Bell's mind, he's worth being paid like both a top RB and a top WR. He's said as much already. And there's a strong potential that he's going to factor that into whatever contract he's looking for next offseason because HE wants to come out ahead. If he waits a year, skips out on $14.5M to get only a few million dollars more in full guarantees than that a year later, then he looks like even more of a fool than he does now. 

Like I said, IF you believe the reports about what the Steelers offered him this year (long term contract with $20M in year one guarantees), it's likely that he's offered a lesser offer than that next offseason after giving up $14.5M to do it. That fact might drive him to look for even more money next year.

I agree that he shouldn't play. I wasn't sure why there was so much talk about him playing this year or being traded in the first place. Nothing was going to change the fact that no matter where he would play this year, he's still unsigned for the future and that can't change until the offseason.
It's impossible to make this statement since we'll never know if Bell would have been seriously injured had he played this season.

If he had rolled off the field on a cart like Earl Thomas did, or mangled his neck like Bilal Powell did, then you'd be saying the opposite.

On Sunday, Conner, Pittsburgh's second round pick in the 2018 NFL draft, became the first running back in NFL history to rush for at least 100 yards, record at least 50 receiving yards and score at least one touchdown in four different games during the same season. In Sunday's 23-16 victory over the Baltimore Ravens, Conner rushed for 107 yards while also catching seven passes for 56 yards and a touchdown. 
Not a huge deal, but Conner was actually a third round comp pick in the 2017 draft, 105 overall. First round was Watt, second round was JuJu...turning into a nice little draft for them, if we ignore drafting a friggin long snapper in the sixth round.

That's only because teams are focused on Ben/Brown/JuJu/etc. in the passing game - Conner is not good enough for opposing defenses to focus any attention on him ;)  

Not a huge deal, but Conner was actually a third round comp pick in the 2017 draft, 105 overall. First round was Watt, second round was JuJu...turning into a nice little draft for them, if we ignore drafting a friggin long snapper in the sixth round.
Watt, Shuster and Connor in the same year is a great draft.

ffweasel said:
Why Come Back If True?

“My understanding is the NFL management council and the NFL Players' Association, the parties that negotiated the collective bargaining agreement, are on the same page that if Bell were tagged a third time, whether he shows up this season, whether he sits out the entire year, that tag would be at the higher quarterback number, not the lower number similar to what he would be due under the franchise tag this year," Pelissero said on NFL Up To the Minute on Tuesday. "It would be extremely unlikely for the Steelers to put that higher third franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell. That would set up a scenario where they'd tag him a third time, the number is upwards of $25 million and Bell, if he wanted to, could walk in the day he's tagged, sign it and be owed $25 million for one season."

In addition, the Steelers and the NFL don't plan to argue that his 2018 tag should carry over next year.

"I've been told by both league and team sources that neither the NFL nor the Steelers have any plan to argue that the second tag should carry over, should Le'Veon Bell not play this year," NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala reported. "They are all in agreement that any potential tag would be the third (or the transition)."
This is the complete opposite of what I've read in here all thread. 

If this is true, my confidence grows that he sits the year. He's going to play for $5mm when he thinks he is worth over $30mm guaranteed? 

Yeah, if that stuff is true, why would he report at all?  But, he supposed has been seen in PIT playing basketball.  Why is in in PIT?

Yeah, if that stuff is true, why would he report at all?  But, he supposed has been seen in PIT playing basketball.  Why is in in PIT?
Guess we’ll see by Nov. 13th. It seems like no one really knows.  Would love some clarity from a fantasy perspective. 

Bell screwed up by not signing the tag before week 1.  It was obvious then, and obvious now, despite whatever the tag would look like if he doesnt sign.

His entire reason to sit was avoiding injury for a big contract. He would be risking injury by playing. He already punted almost $10mm.
I thought it was to make more money? He can retire and not get injured. He can come out of shape and sit on the bench for almost a million a game at this point.

This is the complete opposite of what I've read in here all thread. 

If this is true, my confidence grows that he sits the year. He's going to play for $5mm when he thinks he is worth over $30mm guaranteed? 
Even if this isn’t true....it still does not make sense to play this year

I thought it was to make more money? He can retire and not get injured. He can come out of shape and sit on the bench for almost a million a game at this point.
It was to make more money....in the long run.....

If he would have played for the 14.5 this year as a one year deal....and suffer a career ending injury....he gets nothing moving forward....no new contract with signing bonuses and guarantees....

It was to make more money....in the long run.....

If he would have played for the 14.5 this year as a one year deal....and suffer a career ending injury....he gets nothing moving forward....no new contract with signing bonuses and guarantees....
That’s what insurance is for. There’s almost nobody who has had a career ending injury.

There has to be a reason he's working out in a Pittsburgh gym today.  If he had no plans to report then he simply wouldn't be there.  There's no mind game or strategy to getting them to think he's going to sign.

Chances are he's staying away from the facility/team until they're done their game tomorrow and will report shortly after that.

Bell has stated that he purchased "loss of value" insurance.  He doesn't care.   

I just read through relevant parts of the CBA, primarily Article 10. It seems a team could renegotiate this years contract to pay him more.

What I do find more interesting is it is quite reasonable for Bell NOT to play at all this year. If Bell sits out the entirety of 2018 and the Steelers franchise tag him again next year, it would count as tagging him for a third time. As such, per Article 10, Section 2b, the tag would be the average of the top five QB salaries. I don't believe the Steelers would tag him for that amount, so Bell would be a free agent.

Perhaps I have it wrong. The text is below.

Section 15. Signing Period for Franchise Players:

(c) If any Franchise Player does not play in the NFL in a League Year, his Prior Team shall have the right to designate such player as a Franchise Player or a Transition Player the following League Year, if such designation is otherwise available to the Team, except that the applicable Tender must be made and any 120% Tender shall be measured from the Player’s Prior Year Salary. If such a player is redesignated as a Fran-
chise Player for the League Year following the League Year in which he does not play, the player may be designated only under Section 2(a)(i) above, except that Draft Choice 
Compensation of only one first round draft selection and one third round draft selection shall be made with respect to such player in the event he signs with the New Club. If such a player is designated as a Franchise Player for a third time, the terms of Section 2(b) above shall apply. If a Franchise Player who has sufficient Accrued Seasons to become an Unrestricted Free Agent is not designated as a Franchise Player or Transition Player for any League Year immediately following a League Year in which he does not play, then on the first day of that League Year, the player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent and is completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club is completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with such player, without penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period.
I have been saying this since September!

I have been saying this for a month. The CBA wording is quite clear.

As far as reporters making comments about Bell's situation, I truly think they haven't read the CBA. Some claims have been even more laughably unsupported by what is actually in the CBA.

Some people (reporters) make assumptions. Others parrot the information. Suddenly it is accepted as truth while (practically) nobody actually reads the CBA. When some of us point out the actual agreement, since it doesn't match what has been accepted without evidence, the truth gets ignored.

By not revealing his intent to sit out the year, Bell is playing a game and keeping his options open. I am not saying he is playing the game well, but it makes sense that he didn't just state the plan was to sit out the entire year, as circumstances can change.
And reiterated it.

Aditi Kinkhabwala reports that he is in Pittsburgh and the Steelers expect to hear from him soon.
Not exactly.

Aditi Kinkhabwala‏Verified account @AKinkhabwala

FollowFollow @AKinkhabwala

More

#Steelers brass knows Le’Veon Bell is in town and fully expected him to call in today about his physical. A member of the organization tells me that as of this afternoon’s walkthrough, he still hadn’t. Seems to make sense he’d start the clock on that two-week exemption now.

Not exactly.

Aditi Kinkhabwala‏Verified account @AKinkhabwala

FollowFollow @AKinkhabwala

More

#Steelers brass knows Le’Veon Bell is in town and fully expected him to call in today about his physical. A member of the organization tells me that as of this afternoon’s walkthrough, he still hadn’t. Seems to make sense he’d start the clock on that two-week exemption now.
I was going off of the video headline that NFL.com posted since I couldn't watch the video at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread