What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (5 Viewers)

Yes.  Had he reported week 1 he could have had the $14.5 million this season and would still have gotten that $25 million contract with his next team.   Heck he would have been close if to your hypothetical $25 million by signing the Steelers contract offer.

Now you can play the "what if he got a serious injury" game but he could have also lead the league in TDs, rushing yards, total yards, etc.   Either could have a significant impact on a potential contract offer or perhaps not -- we'll never know.   

The one thing we DO know is that Bell walked away from $14.5 million to play football in 2018 and that money is gone.
You don't need to mansplain it to me.

If he foregoes a guaranteed $14.5M today in order to get a guaranteed $25M tomorrow, then to me he didn't lose $14.5M.  He actually gained over $10M.

You're free to interpret the situation differently.

Except if they decide to tag him again, they'd lose all that extra money & would get no compensation.

Franchise tag (#3)= over $25M for 1 year.  If they tag him, he signs that & that can't trade him with that large a contract.  So, they are spending $25M of their 2019 cap on 1 RB, and won't get any compensation.

Transition tag=other teams can make offers, and Pitt has right to match.  Other offers would likely be structured in such a way to make Pitt unlikely to match (huge first year, etc).  If Pitt doesn't match, they lose Bell and get no compensation.

So, how does their extra money and desire for better/immediate compensation come into play? 
They would be litigating whether the tag is $14.5 (adjusted for 2019) or the “qb” tag. 

Kind of obvious that the answer is yes, he lost $14.5M.  No matter what any future compensation is, the fact remains that he had that money guaranteed for playing this year and did not earn it by his failure to show up.  I’m not sure how anyone can spin it any other way.
$14.5M

~$25M

You can definitely have one or the other.

You can maybe have both.

Bell went with the sure ~$25M over the sure $14.5M.

Doesn't seem like spin to me, but again, you're free to interpret the situation differently.

Dr. Octopus said:
No, I’ve said that from the beginning. I never thought he’d make that choice.

you just said he’s close to 30 - so I pointed out he’s only 26. He has three/four years before that’s really an issue which is a full contact.
I never said he was close to 30.  I stated that he was one more year closer to 30.   Please read. 

steelers1080 said:
What teams would be a great fit for Fantasy next year? Aka, very solid offensive line and not a committee?

The teams that come to mind that could use an improvement at RB are Colts, Texans, Jets, 49ers, Bucs, Eagles, Bears, and Oakland.

I think the best bets for Fantasy are the Bears, Colts and Texans, and their O-lines are ok when healthy. But I think it's more likely he signs with the Raiders or Jets. They seem silly enough to spend big money on a running back when they have much bigger fish to fry.

Overall, I'm fairly certain I won't view Le'veon as a top 8 RB next season. 
Oakland will not sign Bell.  Oakland removes good players from their roster, not adds them. 

Bronco Billy said:
Wouldn’t they get a supplemental pick if they lose him?  If so, it would be a 3rd rounder.

Add that the market might not be as hot given how he placed himself as his only priority with no concern for the team whatsoever, and that he went back on his stated commitment to report for week 1.  If you are a GM on another team, what’s to keep Bell from collecting the massive signing bonus that it will likely take to sign him and then watch him put himself first and only again and dog it or fake an injury to protect himself while making sure he keeps the bonus?

If they place the transition tag on him & refuse to match the offer sheet, they get no compensatory pick.

Leeroy Jenkins said:
They would be litigating whether the tag is $14.5 (adjusted for 2019) or the “qb” tag. 
No they wouldn't, they (& the NFL) have already said that if he's franchised in 2019, it'd be at the 3rd tag (i.e.-QB) rate.

I never said he was close to 30.  I stated that he was one more year closer to 30.   Please read. 
I don't want to argue semantics and it's not a big deal but you said  "with 30 years old quickly approaching" - I just wanted to point out his age because many people think he's older than he is. He came into the league very young.

If they place the transition tag on him & refuse to match the offer sheet, they get no compensatory pick.
This makes no logical sense.  So, if they match the offer would they get a compensatory pick?  Think about it before you answer.

bryhamm said:
That's what I thought.  Might be another case of bayhawks just making crap up.
No, see my previous post.  If a team decides to use the transition tag & doesn't match an offer sheet, they get no compensation.

It's been posted before, but here's the relevant portion of the CBA:

Section 5. Right of First Refusal for Transition Players: Any player designated as a Transition Player shall, at the expiration of his prior year Player Contract, be permitted to negotiate a Player Contract with any Club. When the Transition Player negotiates such an offer with a New Club, which the player desires to accept, he shall give to the Prior Club a completed Offer Sheet, signed by the player and the New Club, which shall contain the Principal Terms (as defined in Article 9) of the New Club’s offer. The Prior Club, within five (5) days from the date it receives the Offer Sheet, may exercise or not exercise its Right of First Refusal, which shall have the consequences set forth in Sections 3(b)–(h), 4 and 6 of Article 9 above, except that no Draft Choice Compensation shall be made with respect to such player, and, for the purposes of those provisions, the player and each Club shall otherwise have the same rights and obligations as for a Restricted Free Agent.

This makes no logical sense.  So, if they match the offer would they get a compensatory pick?  Think about it before you answer.
I just posted the text of the CBA.  If the Steelers match the offer sheet, they get Bell on their team.  If they don't match, they get no compensation.

Well crap.  I'm wrong again.  The way you worded it sounded illogical to me.  So, no compensation pick is ever involved if the transition tag is applied.  Learned something.

No, see my previous post.  If a team decides to use the transition tag & doesn't match an offer sheet, they get no compensation.

It's been posted before, but here's the relevant portion of the CBA:
This is the part that is odd to me.  Doesn't really need to be included.  Should simply read "If a team decides to use the transition tag, they get no compensation."

Bronco Billy said:
Wouldn’t they get a supplemental pick if they lose him?  If so, it would be a 3rd rounder.

It depends. There's a formula based on free agents lost (and the value of their contracts) and what free agents a team signs. It's possible they end up without a compensatory pick.

This is the part that is odd to me.  Doesn't really need to be included.  Should simply read "If a team decides to use the transition tag, they get no compensation."
The compensation they get, if they match the sheet, is the player's services.  The text of the contract says "no draft pick compensation."  The CBA is a legal contract, and legal contracts are often worded in such a way that they can be confusing/ambiguous.

I've posted that portion of the CBA (and other sections) in this thread before, but I wouldn't want you to think I'm just making crap up.

It depends. There's a formula based on free agents lost (and the value of their contracts) and what free agents a team signs. It's possible they end up without a compensatory pick.
Hardly anyone recognizes this. There's an assumption that another team signing Le'Veon Bell means a 3rd-round pick comes to the Steelers automatically. Not so.

davearm said:
$14.5M

~$25M

You can maybe have both.

Doesn't seem like spin to me, but again, you're free to interpret the situation differently.
Actually, he doesn't definitely have the ~$25m, yet.  It's not yet "sure", until it's offered and he signs it.  Lots of things can happen - he can do something dumb and get himself suspended, or at a minimum lower his sign-ability.  Or even in a worst case situation he could have an off field career threatening/ending injury, or let's be honest, could be in a car wreck tomorrow and he/his family get $0.  There is a higher than 0% chance of any of that. 

Hardly anyone recognizes this. There's an assumption that another team signing Le'Veon Bell means a 3rd-round pick comes to the Steelers automatically. Not so.
That was discussed previously in this thread.  While there doesn't seem to be anyone who knows the actual formula for determining comp picks, it seems to be explained best here at overthecap.com.  It's a very long and complicated read, however.

Basically, a team has to lose more FA's than they sign, or better FAs than they sign.  The secret formula determines this, but it is based on contract, PT, and post-season honors.  (**not sure how this applies to Bell, since he didn't play in 2018-would they use his 2017 data?)

Assuming that Bell's 2017 data is used to determine his comp pick value, it's very likely that Pitt would earn a 3rd round comp pick when he signs a FA contract with another team, as Pitt doesn't usually go big in Free Agency.

davearm said:
$14.5M

~$25M

You can maybe have both.

What sure $25M?  Are you aware of a contract he signed for next year that no one else is aware of?  The only fact so far is that he could have played for $14.5M this year and chose not to.  That is completely divorced from any contract he signs to play next year, which he would do whether he played this year or not.

What sure $25M?  Are you aware of a contract he signed for next year that no one else is aware of?  The only fact so far is that he could have played for $14.5M this year and chose not to.  That is completely divorced from any contract he signs to play next year, which he would do whether he played this year or not.
It's an estimate of the guarantee in his next contract. 

I figured that was obvious but I guess I should have been more explicit.

Okay, given his likely future contract and the likelihood that PIT wouldn’t sign enough high level FAs to offset that, I should have used the term “likely 3rd rounder”.  Damn, there sure are a lot of language lawyers in here.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an estimate of the guarantee in his next contract. 

I figured that was obvious but I guess I should have been more explicit.

Only the market would determine that.  That’s a complete unknown - but again has absolutely nothing to do with the fact - and it is an indisputible fact - that he surrendered $14.5M that he could have had this year.  I’m confused as to why you wouldn’t acknowledge that as such. 

Bayhawks said:
Except if they decide to tag him again, they'd lose all that extra money & would get no compensation.

Franchise tag (#3)= over $25M for 1 year.  If they tag him, he signs that & that can't trade him with that large a contract.  So, they are spending $25M of their 2019 cap on 1 RB, and won't get any compensation.

Transition tag=other teams can make offers, and Pitt has right to match.  Other offers would likely be structured in such a way to make Pitt unlikely to match (huge first year, etc).  If Pitt doesn't match, they lose Bell and get no compensation.

So, how does their extra money and desire for better/immediate compensation come into play? 
Transition tag isn't out of the question.  Would be easy for PIT to let it be known he's available via match-and-trade.  Give us a 3rd in 2019 and he's yours, otherwise we're going to match and trade later.   He's not gonna get $25M on a tag offer, so he won't throttle the cap nearly as much.  They can free up $15M reworking Ben and $10M on Haden, they have plenty of flexibility to match just about anything, and any team with legit interest in Bell should be willing to part with a 3rd to lock it in.

Basically, a team has to lose more FA's than they sign, or better FAs than they sign.  The secret formula determines this, but it is based on contract, PT, and post-season honors.  (**not sure how this applies to Bell, since he didn't play in 2018-would they use his 2017 data?)
Bell's 2019 stats will be available by the time the league has to divvy out 2020 compensatory picks ... maybe they'll use 2019?

Transition tag isn't out of the question.  Would be easy for PIT to let it be known he's available via match-and-trade.  Give us a 3rd in 2019 and he's yours, otherwise we're going to match and trade later.   He's not gonna get $25M on a tag offer, so he won't throttle the cap nearly as much.  They can free up $15M reworking Ben and $10M on Haden, they have plenty of flexibility to match just about anything, and any team with legit interest in Bell should be willing to part with a 3rd to lock it in.
I don't see how that works.  The other teams don't have to agree to Pitt's demands, they just have to structure an offer sheet in such a way that Pitt would find hard/impossible to match because they'd get screwed if they match.  Say with a huge 1st-year salary (teams like Houston, SF, Indy, NYJ, etc have in excess of $65M in cap space next year; Pitt has $15M).  If Pitt plays the transition tag match-and-trade game, they take a huge risk of losing the likely 2020 comp pick.

Bell's 2019 stats will be available by the time the league has to divvy out 2020 compensatory picks ... maybe they'll use 2019?
Maybe you're right.  But I assumed it was based on their stats prior to the FA contract.  I don't know if that's true or not.

I don't see how that works.  The other teams don't have to agree to Pitt's demands, they just have to structure an offer sheet in such a way that Pitt would find hard/impossible to match because they'd get screwed if they match.  Say with a huge 1st-year salary (teams like Houston, SF, Indy, NYJ, etc have in excess of $65M in cap space next year; Pitt has $15M).  If Pitt plays the transition tag match-and-trade game, they take a huge risk of losing the likely 2020 comp pick.
They could, but as i stated PIT can clear up $20M in 12 seconds just with those two I mentioned and look to have about $25M free already.   PIT is still in the business of winning games, and if matching Bell's contract goes toward accomplishing that then that's another scenario that wouldn't be shocking. 

They could, but as i stated PIT can clear up $20M in 12 seconds just with those two I mentioned and look to have about $25M free already.   PIT is still in the business of winning games, and if matching Bell's contract goes toward accomplishing that then that's another scenario that wouldn't be shocking. 

It would shock me.  While I agree that this is a possibility, given the bad blood that Bell has generated in PIT - amongst management, his teammates, and the fans (who I hear are burning Bell jerseys publicly now) - it would definitely surprise me greatly.  Especially at guaranteed high QB level money.  And who says he’d even sign that contract if it were a tag?  He just pissed away $14.5M.

I'm not sure how matching an offer sheet given to Bell serves that purpose.  They'd be paying him (likely) more than what they were willing to pay him this last off-season, and that was before they knew Conner could do what he has done this year.  That massive sum of money could be better served to improve their defense.  And, if they did match a massive offer sheet, it'd be likely that that contract wouldn't make a trade likely, as why would another team want to take on that contract?  If you are suggesting that they'd turn around and trade Bell to the team that made the offer sheet, the Steelers would run the risk of the other team saying "you can keep him."  Then they have to deal with all that money tied up in their RB position, instead of where it'd help the team win more games.

Godsbrother said:
The one thing we DO know is that Bell walked away from $14.5 million to play football in 2018 and that money is gone.
We also DO know he didn’t suffer a serious injury playing football. So there’s two thing we do know.

We also DO know he didn’t suffer a serious injury playing football. So there’s two thing we do know.
This is getting to be one of those semantics arguments that everyone loves so much...

@davearm is saying Bell didn't lose the 14.5M and others are saying he did.  I think you agree with those saying he did give up the 14.5M IN EXCHANGE for not getting seriously hurt in 2018.... but he did lose the 14.5M no matter what he gained by doing that or what he will get in a contract next year.

We don't know if he suffered an injury while jet skiing. Guys get injured while doing things other than playing football. They get injured doing stunts on motorcycles, playing pick up basketball, carrying deer meat up the steps, and walking into night clubs in NYC. You never know. he could get injured between now and opening day 2019 without touching a football. 

We don't know if he suffered an injury while jet skiing. Guys get injured while doing things other than playing football. They get injured doing stunts on motorcycles, playing pick up basketball, carrying deer meat up the steps, and walking into night clubs in NYC. You never know. he could get injured between now and opening day 2019 without touching a football. 
He could. But we know he didn’t. Just like he could sign a huge contract next year. 

Only the market would determine that.  That’s a complete unknown - but again has absolutely nothing to do with the fact - and it is an indisputible fact - that he surrendered $14.5M that he could have had this year.  I’m confused as to why you wouldn’t acknowledge that as such. 
I have acknowledged it throughout.

Look you prefer terms like "lost" and "surrendered".  I prefer "postponed".

It's a near certainty that he's going to get more than $14.5M guaranteed when the dust settles.  He's just going to get it a year later.  So to characterize that money as "lost", or "gone forever" doesn't resonate with me.  It's cool if that's how you view it though. :thumbup:

Surprised he didn’t take a gig with the NFL network / Fox / ESPN this year to get some weekly cash flow (unless he’s got the whole Rocky Balboa thing “I ain’t too good at talking” going on)

I have acknowledged it throughout.

Look you prefer terms like "lost" and "surrendered".  I prefer "postponed".

It's a near certainty that he's going to get more than $14.5M guaranteed when the dust settles.  He's just going to get it a year later.  So to characterize that money as "lost", or "gone forever" doesn't resonate with me.  It's cool if that's how you view it though. :thumbup:

I have to admit that I don’t understand your rationale.  To me, his opportunity to earn the $14.5M from this season is gone forever.  He lost his earning opportunity from his limited earning window by missing this year.  He’ll never recover that.  But it seems that we will not have a meeting of the minds.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit that I don’t understand your rationale.  To me, his opportunity to earn the $14.5M from this season is gone forever.  He lost his earning opportunity from his limited earning window by missing this year.  He’ll never recover that.  But it seems that we will not have a meeting of the minds.  
It's pointless trying to have a conversation with Bell's relatives on this board. Maybe they think bell has a time machine and will go back and get his 14.5 mil. Saying he "postponed" it is ludicrous. Tha term means he is eventually getting it. HE ISN'T! 2018 money is gone. Why is it so hard for bell apologists to figure out.

His opportunity to earn the $14.5M for this season is surely gone.  No question there.

What this does to his final career earnings is impossible to say.  We don't know what sitting out a year will do to his lifespan as an NFL RB.  If he has X amount of carries in him, then his career won't be any shorter at all; he'll just play to an older age.  If he will be done at age Y regardless of # of carries, then he has indeed shortened his career by a year.  Naturally, the answer is probably somewhere in between those two extremes.

Regardless, he will almost certainly earn more than $14.5M from today forward, so I don't view that amount as lost, in an overall sense.  He's just not getting it in 2018.

Regardless, he will almost certainly earn more than $14.5M from today forward, so I don't view that amount as lost, in an overall sense.  He's just not getting it in 2018.
Wouldn't that have been the case even with an extreme on field injury this year, though?  Taking away the ability to get an insurance policy (that's what I do - well, life and health insurance but close enough) even if he did play this year for "only 14.5M", and have a bad injury - there is still well over a 95% chance that he could sign next year for significant guaranteed money.  I mean even Carlos Hyde got $8M guaranteed this past year - and he has a history of injury. 

Side question - when's the earliest Bell can be signed for 2019?  He still has to stay healthy (and sober) between now and then for your $25M estimate to be even close to accurate. 

Wouldn't that have been the case even with an extreme on field injury this year, though?  Taking away the ability to get an insurance policy (that's what I do - well, life and health insurance but close enough) even if he did play this year for "only 14.5M", and have a bad injury - there is still well over a 95% chance that he could sign next year for significant guaranteed money.  I mean even Carlos Hyde got $8M guaranteed this past year - and he has a history of injury. 

Side question - when's the earliest Bell can be signed for 2019?  He still has to stay healthy (and sober) between now and then for your $25M estimate to be even close to accurate. 
Pretty sure the deadline for teams to slap a tag on a player is March 5.   Free agency begins March 13 so I assume that is the earliest he can be signed by any team except the Steelers.

I just posted the text of the CBA.  If the Steelers match the offer sheet, they get Bell on their team.  If they don't match, they get no compensation.
I believe you are interpreting the CBA incorrectly. They get no IMMEDIATE draft pick compensation. Franchise tagged players and RFA tendered players can be signed if the new team is willing to part with draft picks. IMO, that's the no draft pick compensation part being applied here. I believe if they transition tag him and don't match, losing Bell would still be applied to the compensatory pick formula.

That's the other thing people aren't really discussing. PIT would only get a 3rd round compensatory pick if they don't sign other free agents (at a similar pay level). If they let Bell walk, they will get to carry over the $14.5 million they didn't spend on him this year into their 2019 salary cap. They will also save $8 million by not paying Ryan Shazier. But if they go out and sign free agents, they won't get a compensatory pick for losing Bell as the signings would cancel out the loss of Bell.

I believe you are interpreting the CBA incorrectly. They get no IMMEDIATE draft pick compensation. Franchise tagged players and RFA tendered players can be signed if the new team is willing to part with draft picks. IMO, that's the no draft pick compensation part being applied here. I believe if they transition tag him and don't match, losing Bell would still be applied to the compensatory pick formula.

That's the other thing people aren't really discussing. PIT would only get a 3rd round compensatory pick if they don't sign other free agents (at a similar pay level). If they let Bell walk, they will get to carry over the $14.5 million they didn't spend on him this year into their 2019 salary cap. They will also save $8 million by not paying Ryan Shazier. But if they go out and sign free agents, they won't get a compensatory pick for losing Bell as the signings would cancel out the loss of Bell.
This is a good point which may cause the Steelers to use the transition tag to attempt a trade. 

Bell certainly had an opportunity to pocket the $14.5M and still make more next year.  You can quantify the injury risk however you like; Bell's analysis said it wasn't worth it (also he wanted to buck the system, rewrite the rules, blaze the trail for later RBs etc. etc.).

Feb 19: First day for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

March 5: Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players. 

March 13: The 2019 League Year and Free Agency period begin at 4:00 p.m., New York time.

I've seen speculation that the Steelers will stick to their formula and not be huge players in FA... instead using that money on resigning some of their players instead.

This is a good point which may cause the Steelers to use the transition tag to attempt a trade. 
But it is not as simple as that. If they transition tag him, they would have to match whatever offer Bell receives to be able to trade him. That could mean shelling out $30 million in guaranteed money . . . which would all go against the Steelers immediately as a cap hit if Bell is traded. The team trading for Bell does not have to pay the signing bonus money or eat the cap hit . . . that would be on the Steelers.

That's the other thing people aren't really discussing. PIT would only get a 
The section of the CBA I posted was specifically covering the use of the transition tag, and it specifically said “no draft pick compensation” shall be received.  I’m not sure how that can be interpreted as meaning they get compensated at a later date with draft picks.

Users who are viewing this thread