Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Eminence

Le'Veon Bell

1 hour ago, Capella said:

:lmao: you drive 35 in a 40

I thought we agreed this is tampering we're talking about. 

Not sure why you feel the need to be a ##### all of a sudden.

10 hours ago, davearm said:

How so?

I have been very intentional that I don't know what is or isn't being discussed behind the scenes.

What I do know is that what was suggested would be textbook tampering.

What you do know, and what we all know - is that it is happening.  It has happened.  It will happen.

You are being obtuse.  Ridiculous at this point.

7 hours ago, DropKick said:

Not sure I believe that...

Yeah,thats BS. No way they would tag him at 25m SB win or not. They were just gonna run him in the ground & dump him if they won the SB. Pretty sure Ben would have retired and the teM rebuilding. 

On 11/20/2018 at 12:00 AM, davearm said:

I thought we agreed this is tampering we're talking about. 

I'm not a sports agent. But I negotiate contracts for a living, some of them associated with M&A and other activity where discussions are subject to actual force of law. SEC, FTC, and so on. Stuff that makes the NFL's rules look like fencepost signs by comparison.

I assure you that no matter what the circumstances, there are always, always backchannels through which discussion happens. Everyone knows the rules, and everyone knows how far you can take those discussions without running afoul of them, but everyone (even the regulators) acknowledges that business simply couldn't get done otherwise.

2 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

I'm not a sports agent. But I negotiate contracts for a living, some of them associated with M&A and other activity where discussions are subject to actual force of law. SEC, FTC, and so on. Stuff that makes the NFL's rules look like fencepost signs by comparison.

I assure you that no matter what the circumstances, there are always, always backchannels through which discussion happens. Everyone knows the rules, and everyone knows how far you can take those discussions without running afoul of them, but everyone (even the regulators) acknowledges that business simply couldn't get done otherwise.

Well said, and I agree.

My only point throughout has been that direct contact between the agent and other GMs would constitute tampering.

That's somehow been misconstrued as, I don't think *any* communication has occurred, which has never been my position.

How does this affect his dynasty prospects?  What would it take to deal him/trade FOR him at this point. 

Seems like a real high risk / high reward proposition right now.

56 minutes ago, mmarsian said:

How does this affect his dynasty prospects?  What would it take to deal him/trade FOR him at this point. 

Seems like a real high risk / high reward proposition right now.

I certainly would not expect the numbers he put up in PITT.

Just now, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

Holy cow. What a match that would be.

Not sure they could swing it with the cap though but if they did, my fantasy team would become a favorite in 2019.

1 minute ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

Holy cow. What a match that would be.

As a bell owner cheering for ware to fall on his face first round and they make the move

3 hours ago, lod001 said:

Chiefs have an opening at RB. Hello Leveon Bell.

Outside of Berry and maybe Houston, who else would they have to cut to make cap room?  Just don't see KC investing that heavily in a RB.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Know-It-All said:

Just don't see KC investing that heavily in a RB.

I think Andy Reid feels like he can find RB's. Off top of my head in terms of draft capital McCoy was highest a Reid team drafted a RB and don't ever recall them spending much on one in preseason. Yet Andy usually gets good production out of his RB's.

Then factor in they are tight on cap space and their biggest priority this off season is likely extending Hill who will be entering the last year of his contract.

I'd put odds of Bell being a Chief in the close to zero range.

If I was offered a wager where I was allowed to pick two teams vs the field I'd accept that wager and take the Jets and Texans.

Chiefs will have an estimated $43M in cap space next year, some of that will go to Dee Ford, but if they are interested in Bell they can afford him. They can’t outbid the Colts or Jets, but they could make it work if they want, especially with Mahomes on a rookie deal and Watkins easily cuttable after 2019 or as a June 1st cut if they want.

Houston likely won’t be interested, they’ve got a lot of defensive FA’s to resign, an O’line to fix, and Lamar Miller has resurrected himself.

All that said, if cap space were not an issue, how perfect of a fit would Bell be in KC.  Good lord that team would be loaded.  He went a year without pay already, maybe he signs for the rookie minimum.....

Regarding Chiefs signing him take it from someone who worked with Andy Reid for years:

Joe Banner‏Verified account @JoeBanner13 1

It makes no sense if you know Andy Reid’s philosophy of team building. A RB with problems on and off the field who wants a ton of money. Andy will be the 32nd team in the league in that line.

Joe Banner‏Verified account @JoeBanner13

The conversation about Bell signing in KC is a complete waste of time. Stop the foolishness

7:12 AM - 1 Dec 2018

6 hours ago, lod001 said:

It's probably indy or the Jets.

Could the Raiders be in play? They are going to have the cap space after getting rid of Mack, Cooper and most likely Carr. I could see them drafting a QB and signing Bell. 

Can you imagine Bell in Vegas? How fun would that be? 

7 hours ago, lod001 said:

It's probably indy or the Jets.

Houston will have a lot of cap room, a young QB on his rookie deal, a stud WR, and a great D.

If I was a Bell dynasty owner I’d love Indy for work out.

Theyre closer than people think to being a Super Bowl contender, their shot is 2ish year away I’d think.  Bell could come close to buying them an extra year of contending on the front side of that.

Defense is emerging, very young and full of over performing rookies.  Literally only bad thing you can say about Luck this year is he’s not Mahomes, guy playing out of his mind.

If I’m Bell playing in Indy with a good team and coaching staff is worth a few million compared to going to the Jets roster to fade away irrelevance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano reports Le'Veon Bell wants to sign with the Colts this offseason.

"He has his eyes on the Colts, no doubt about that," a source told Vacchiano. "He sees Andrew Luck and that offense and all that cap room. He wants to go someplace he can win right away." The Jets are expected to make a run at Bell, but the interest may not be mutual. With Marlon Mack and Nyheim Hines both cost controlled, we don't see the Colts as a good fit for Bell, but there's going to be no shortage of suitors this offseason. Bell is targeting $17 million annually.

Source: SNY

Dec 21 - 5:06 PM

35 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano reports Le'Veon Bell wants to sign with the Colts this offseason.

"He has his eyes on the Colts, no doubt about that," a source told Vacchiano. "He sees Andrew Luck and that offense and all that cap room. He wants to go someplace he can win right away." The Jets are expected to make a run at Bell, but the interest may not be mutual. With Marlon Mack and Nyheim Hines both cost controlled, we don't see the Colts as a good fit for Bell, but there's going to be no shortage of suitors this offseason. Bell is targeting $17 million annually.

Oh, so suddenly he cares about winning? He could have had that this year.

27 minutes ago, Dizzy said:

Oh, so suddenly he cares about winning? He could have had that this year.

Perhaps it's about getting paid as well as winning.  The Colts have a lot of cap room and in my mind are a team on the upswing. 

Edited by JohnnyU

As a dynasty owner sitting on Bell this year and still making it to championship game, I would love him signing in Indi, but I am not sure that's the route they go. They love Mack and Hines for their price and could pour their cap space into other positions of need. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

Bell is just a guy who has been lucky to play behind a good OL, system, and rare HC that uses his RBs as bell cows.  Whatever team pays him $17m is going to regret it.  I hope the Colts don't pay him that - they will get the same production for a fraction of the cost with Mack.

42 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

Bell is just a guy who has been lucky to play behind a good OL, system, and rare HC that uses his RBs as bell cows.  Whatever team pays him $17m is going to regret it.  I hope the Colts don't pay him that - they will get the same production for a fraction of the cost with Mack.

Ok, now he sucks :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Ok, now he sucks :rolleyes:

All his replacements have had success in Pittsburgh - DeAngelo Williams, James Conner, Jaylen Samuels.  RBs are the most overrated position in sports.

53 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

All his replacements have had success in Pittsburgh - DeAngelo Williams, James Conner, Jaylen Samuels.  RBs are the most overrated position in sports.

It's true, and that will be the argument from the other side of the table. Not sure if Bell thinks he's a lock for $17 mil/year but putting that amount of money into an oft-injured position is just not a wise investment. And it isn't as though he doesn't come with any other baggage either... holdouts, suspensions, high mileage, etc.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

I said this in August.

Bell certainly knows who has cap space to pay him. ;)

Obviously, they get paid the big bucks to make these decisions and I don't. But RB seems like an easy position to replace for waaay less than $17 million a year. Conner and Samuels haven't been as good as Bell, but the difference isn't worth the difference in salary imo. Give a professional RB space to run, and they can run just fine. Scheme to take them away, and they'll have a quiet day. Support them with a weak OL and they'll struggle. 

When was the last time the SB champ had a franchise RB?  Lynch? I guess I didn't see anything in the NFL this year that made me think "Teams need to pony up more $ and really pay for a talented RB." I wish Bell the best, but I don't think this was a great move for him. I guess time will tell. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Neil Beaufort Zod said:

for waaay less than $17 million a year.

Conner and Samuels

Conner 668,000 next year.

Samuels 570,000 next year.

• Like 1

The Jets are prob the team dumb enough to pay him the most money and he doesn’t want to go there. He’ll prob get a decent contract but he’s gotta be a little nervous.

3 hours ago, Neil Beaufort Zod said:

Conner and Samuels haven't been as good as Bell, but the difference isn't worth the difference in salary imo.

:goodposting:

I can see Indy or HOU paying him close to what he wants and on par with Gurley and Johnson. He's an upgrade over Mack, the OL is much better so he will thrive there. Watson's ability to run will allow Bell to thrive in HOU. They just have to punch the HC in the forehead to remind him that the RB is a dual threat and draw up some pass plays to him. They wasted Miller's best talent....catching the ball.

NYJ is wasting their time. He's not getting them to the top. They need to build around Darnold and once he's established, go draft a RB. They have too many other holes to fill. Same with OAK.

Chiefs are better off signing Ingram to a 2 year deal and drafting a RB in the 2-4th rounds. Ingram is a powerhouse in that offense.

I don't see the Colts making this move. 

Still too many needs on Defense.  And while their OL is much better than the past few years, it still needs work as does the WR depth. 

Ballard simply has more work to do with depth before thinking about someone like Bell.  Mack is serviceable and Bell alone won't push the Colts to the top of the AFC.

Colts have 123 million in cap space next year. 

I'd put my money on them making this move. They have a window with Luck and the salary cap to get him what he needs

Given the way Ballard has constructed the Colts this offseason, I have a hard time seeing him waste valuable cap space on a RB that is a worse rusher than his current RB under a coach that clearly values RB’s splitting time and playing different roles. Sure 100 whatever mil under the cap... that continues to be needed for upgrades in the secondary, on the edge and in the recieving corps. 

5 hours ago, Neil Beaufort Zod said:

Obviously, they get paid the big bucks to make these decisions and I don't. But RB seems like an easy position to replace for waaay less than $17 million a year. Conner and Samuels haven't been as good as Bell, but the difference isn't worth the difference in salary imo. Give a professional RB space to run, and they can run just fine. Scheme to take them away, and they'll have a quiet day. Support them with a weak OL and they'll struggle. 

When was the last time the SB champ had a franchise RB?  Lynch? I guess I didn't see anything in the NFL this year that made me think "Teams need to pony up more $ and really pay for a talented RB." I wish Bell the best, but I don't think this was a great move for him. I guess time will tell. 

Prove that statement.

12 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

Perhaps it's about getting paid as well as winning.  The Colts have a lot of cap room and in my mind are a team on the upswing. 

Wait.  You’re saying he wouldn’t have made any money playing under the tag?  The narrative is starting to get a bit outrageous.

Bell’s not concerned about winning.  Bell is only concerned about Bell.  How does any team trust him enough to shell out near the money he wants?  He’s been suspended twice already and has shown that he’ll go back on his word and is concerned solely about his own self.  As a GM, you’d be nuts to offer him anywhere near premium RB money.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, BearsFan4Life said:

Dynasty....do you trade Bell for Chubb?

Probably. Yeah I would 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iceman03 said:

Given the way Ballard has constructed the Colts this offseason, I have a hard time seeing him waste valuable cap space on a RB that is a worse rusher than his current RB under a coach that clearly values RB’s splitting time and playing different roles.

I agree and so does about every Colt beat writer for the reasons you listed but also some questions if he is a culture fit.

6 hours ago, lod001 said:

I can see Indy or HOU paying him close to what he wants and on par with Gurley and Johnson.

He turned down nearly 15 million per year.

Gurley will be making 10 per (if you include the signing bonus offset that landed on his rookie deal for the 4 year extension) on the back of rookie QB contract.

Johnson will be making 10 per year (if you include the signing bonus offset that landed on his rookie deal for the 3 year extension) on the back of the team using a rookie QB contract.

And while we may be "quibbling" over an extra 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 million, it sure seems as if he wants/wanted a hell of a lot more than what Gurley and Johnson got paid.

• Like 1