What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (8 Viewers)

I recall listening to an Adam Shefter podcast early last season and he mentioned that even back then Steeler players wondered if Bell was in shape.  One of the reasons they wondered this, per Shefter, was that Bell would normally post workout video's but had not been posting them in quite some time.

It's been 2 days since his weight was reported to be up to 260 at one point. All we've heard since was his trainer denying it. It's been a few months since his jet ski video came out and people started to speculate he had gained weight.

All it takes is to put this to rest would be Bell throwing up an updated photo. That's it. We can all believe what we want, but to me that's as telling as it gets. 

Either way I don't think it will matter by start of 2019 season, I think he'll be in shape. Just not the look you want when negotiating a long term contract.

I recall listening to an Adam Shefter podcast early last season and he mentioned that even back then Steeler players wondered if Bell was in shape.  One of the reasons they wondered this, per Shefter, was that Bell would normally post workout video's but had not been posting them in quite some time.

It's been 2 days since his weight was reported to be up to 260 at one point. All we've heard since was his trainer denying it. It's been a few months since his jet ski video came out and people started to speculate he had gained weight.

All it takes is to put this to rest would be Bell throwing up an updated photo. That's it. We can all believe what we want, but to me that's as telling as it gets. 

Either way I don't think it will matter by start of 2019 season, I think he'll be in shape. Just not the look you want when negotiating a long term contract.
The problem is the highest bidder will be putting a lot of trust in Bell that he gets into shape AFTER they commit to a huge contract, likely in March, well before training camp starts. 

The problem is the highest bidder will be putting a lot of trust in Bell that he gets into shape AFTER they commit to a huge contract, likely in March, well before training camp starts. 
If he signs somewhere for a lot of money, I think it will be a good sign. If he’s fat and out of shape I doubt he gets a large contract. 

Why does it matter? He wasn't playing last season and has plenty of time to get back into shape even before OTAs. He's surely not going to show up to meetings in free agency weighing 260 pounds. This is all meaningless offseason fluff at this point.

How do you know what he weighs now? - even the rumors only state that he got up to 260 during his year off. That could have been in November.

Why does it matter? He wasn't playing last season and has plenty of time to get back into shape even before OTAs. He's surely not going to show up to meetings in free agency weighing 260 pounds. This is all meaningless offseason fluff at this point.
Addressed that in my last sentence. Also it's not like he knew all of last season he was going to sit out, I truly don't think he made that final decision until near the deadline so it's a red flag if he allowed himself to get out of shape.  Would be to me if I was a team looking to give him everything he's been asking for AND then hope he gets in shape.

Addressed that in my last sentence. Also it's not like he knew all of last season he was going to sit out, I truly don't think he made that final decision until near the deadline so it's a red flag if he allowed himself to get out of shape.  Would be to me if I was a team looking to give him everything he's been asking for AND then hope he gets in shape.
Sure - one of the concerns I would have with my team signing him is him getting "fat and lazy" after getting paid. I just don't put that much weight (pun intended I guess) into this story at this point.

Ok, I'll  play along...

What weight he blew up to is irrelevant.  What does matter is that these rumors surfaced because it's pretty obvious Bell has not been working out like he should.  During previous years when Bell was hard at work getting ready for football there were lots of videos of him doing just that.  Having no videos like that of him this entire season is incriminating enough for me (and likely NFL teams) to draw the conclusion that he hasn't been working out. That invokes questions about his commitment to football, which is more important than arguing about what he actually weighs.   
OK, I'll play along...

None of what you posted matters.  Rumors of weight gain/loss, work out videos posted/not posted, etc don't matter, not even a little bit.  I can't imagine any NFL team, not even my Washington Redskins with Snyder in charge, are stupid enough to base their decision to sign a high-price FA to a large contract based on whether he had or had not posted enough workout videos online.  That's ludicrous.  Any team that makes him an offer is going to see him, to see what kind of shape he's in, and are going to have him pass a physical.  They are not going to have to guess what he weighs by going "haven't seen any workout videos, and he looked kind of soft in that jet ski pic, he probably weighs 250;" they are going to put him on a scale and see what he actually weighs.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I'll play along...

None of what you posted matters.  Rumors of weight gain/loss, work out videos posted/not posted, etc don't matter, not even a little bit.  I can't imagine any NFL team, not even my Washington Redskins with Snyder in charge, are stupid enough to base their decision to sign a high-price FA to a large contract based on whether he had or had not posted enough workout videos online.  That's ludicrous.  Any team that makes him an offer is going to see him, to see what kind of shape he's in, and are going to have him pass a physical.  They are not going to have to guess what he weighs by going "haven't seen any workout videos, and he looked kind of soft in that jet ski pic, he probably weighs 250;" they are going to put him on a scale and see what he actually weighs.
Exactly 

OK, I'll play along...

None of what you posted matters.  Rumors of weight gain/loss, work out videos posted/not posted, etc matter.  I can't imagine any NFL team, even my Washington Redskins with Snyder in charge, are stupid enough to base their decision to sign a high-price FA to a large contract based on whether he had or had not posted enough workout videos online.  That's ludicrous.  Any team that makes him an offer is going to see him, to see what kind of shape he's in, and are going to have him pass a physical.  They are not going to have to guess what he weighs by going "haven't seen any workout videos, and he looked kind of soft in that jet ski pic, he probably weighs 250;" they are going to put him on a scale and see what he actually weighs.
Even if Bell gets on a scale next week and only weighs 235, it still doesn't address what I've been saying.  Of course he can lose weight quickly and get ready for FA in the next few weeks, because he's a world-class athlete.  But my concern is his apparent lack of commitment to being a football player, his apparent lack of training, because there's no way that will help him stay healthier, or stay in football shape when it matters through a long season.  We've already witnessed his slow starts to the season when he didn't play pre-season and wasn't in game shape.  Staying in shape matters,  there's a reason that most world class athletes don't take time off. 

Even if Bell gets on a scale next week and only weighs 235, it still doesn't address what I've been saying.  Of course he can lose weight quickly and get ready for FA in the next few weeks, because he's a world-class athlete.  But my concern is his apparent lack of commitment to being a football player, his apparent lack of training, because there's no way that will help him stay healthier, or stay in football shape when it matters through a long season.  We've already witnessed his slow starts to the season when he didn't play pre-season and wasn't in game shape.  Staying in shape matters,  there's a reason that most world class athletes don't take time off. 
You could be correct and we obviously won’t know until he plays next September. What I definitely can say is that Bell made himself into an elite NFL talent. Way more than just being a piece of Pitt’s offense. Watching him run over the last couple of years, his patience, vision and burst through the hole is special. And that doesn’t happen without a strong commitment to wanting to be the best. I’m willing to bet on Bell because he’s a generational type talent who also worked hard to get himself there.

You could be correct and we obviously won’t know until he plays next September. What I definitely can say is that Bell made himself into an elite NFL talent. Way more than just being a piece of Pitt’s offense. Watching him run over the last couple of years, his patience, vision and burst through the hole is special. And that doesn’t happen without a strong commitment to wanting to be the best. I’m willing to bet on Bell because he’s a generational type talent who also worked hard to get himself there.
Fair enough, you're more optimistic than I am, at least long-term.  I'm as interested as anyone to see how well he performs.  He clearly had one of the best combinations of jukes, power and hands of any recent RB, but I also saw a drop off in a lot of those things in 2017.  I'm guessing he'll be ready to prove all the doubters wrong and will work hard to reach an elite level to start the season...  The real questions to me will be:

(1) Will his effort and performance be affected if he doesn't get the serious payday he thinks he deserves?  

(2) How long will his passion for the game last once he gets paid and then the glow of a few good games wears off?  

But you’re basing this concern on a completely unsubstantiated rumor.  It’s not even an anonymous source, it’s “word on the street.”  

If I said “word on the street is that Kareem Hunt has ballooned up to 250 lbs,” does that mean anything?   No, and neither does  the “word on the street” about Bell.

And if any NFL GM makes his business decisions based on concerns he has developed based on completely unsubstantiated rumors, he isn’t long for his job.

If he is that fat then sure, Le’Veon can quickly drop 15% of his body weight and get back into the 225 range for signing day. However, there’s a big difference between losing weight and being in football game shape. He has boasted about 3% body fat in the past while still thick and strong. That’s an incredible achievement and generally takes a year or more to achieve, not six months. 

TLDR; Le’Veon may have done two or three years of damage to his physique in one year. 

If he is that fat then sure, Le’Veon can quickly drop 15% of his body weight and get back into the 225 range for signing day. However, there’s a big difference between losing weight and being in football game shape. He has boasted about 3% body fat in the past while still thick and strong. That’s an incredible achievement and generally takes a year or more to achieve, not six months. 

TLDR; Le’Veon may have done two or three years of damage to his physique in one year. 
If he gained 30 lbs of fat, he wouldn’t just lose all that muscle unless he was not even lifting at all. He can get back into shape in a couple of months. It would not take a year for a guy like that. 

But you’re basing this concern on a completely unsubstantiated rumor.  It’s not even an anonymous source, it’s “word on the street.”  

If I said “word on the street is that Kareem Hunt has ballooned up to 250 lbs,” does that mean anything?   No, and neither does  the “word on the street” about Bell.

And if any NFL GM makes his business decisions based on concerns he developed based on completely unsubstantiated rumors, he isn’t long for his job.
I made these statements about his lack of working out a few pages back before this unsubstantiated report about his weight came out, so please get over the "word on the street" stuff.  I'll admit I'm basing this on a lack of evidence to substantiate my conclusion.  And it's a simple conclusion: Lev is not the type of player to be killing it in the gym, on a practice field, snapping balls out of the air, etc. without taking the time to show that stuff off online.  So without those types of videos, it's fairly easy to conclude that he's not doing that stuff.

Do you actually think he's been in tip-top shape this whole time and has kept us all in hiding?  Any logical reason he would do that?

I made these statements about his lack of working out a few pages back before this unsubstantiated report about his weight came out, so please get over the "word on the street" stuff.  I'll admit I'm basing this on a lack of evidence to substantiate my conclusion.  And it's a simple conclusion: Lev is not the type of player to be killing it in the gym, on a practice field, snapping balls out of the air, etc. without taking the time to show that stuff off online.  So without those types of videos, it's fairly easy to conclude that he's not doing that stuff.

Do you actually think he's been in tip-top shape this whole time and has kept us all in hiding?  Any logical reason he would do that?
OK, so you’re just blindly speculating?  And that’s somehow better than a completely unsubstantiated “word on the street?”

As far as your “simple conclusion,” you are concluding that because there aren’t videos showing him working out, he must not be, because “Lev is not the type of player to be killing it in the gym, on a practice field, snapping balls out of the air, etc. without taking the time to show that stuff off online.”  

You freely admit that you have no evidence to support this belief, but it must be true.  Here’s the thing though, we have evidence that you are flat-out wrong.  Between his rookie and 2nd year, he lost a substantial amount of weight.  He had to have worked to do that, but there weren’t weekly workout videos during that time.  We also have reports from coaches & teammatesabout him being one of the hardest workers.  So, we know that he is a guy to workout hard without posting videos all the time to show that.  We’ve seen the results of that hard work, without hav8ng to see the video.

So, you’re blindly speculating, and that speculation is based on a faulty set of starting facts.  You may turn out to be correct, and Bell has gone the way of CJ Anderson; but the logic you have used to get there is questionable, at best.

Logical reason?  What logical reason is there for h8m to show us he’s in shape?  You & I aren’t the guys who might pay him.  As I stated before, he just needs to show NFL GMs he is in shape.  There’s not one sing,e logical reason for h8m to be concerned with whether you or I think he is.

Why does he need to keep the "masses" informed? Why would he care? Nobody there pays his potential upcoming salary. Maybe he has sent videos to team execs about how good of shape he is in prior to FA opening. It's actually extremely admirable for a "disgruntled" player not to be brandishing himself all over social media in this day and age.  The only facts we've seen is from his trainer, who said this rumor is totally egregious, and his teammates, who said he is one of the hardest working people they have ever seen, in the gym, on a practice field, snapping balls out of the air, etc. This is a man who sat out the entire 2018 season with the plan to break the bank in 2019. Do you honestly think he just let him self get completely "out of shape"? Not a chance in the world. This man has taken an entire year to prepare himself for this upcoming moment. You think he was lazy about that? I bet this guy has been working his tail off to get himself the best deal with the best team possible. Rarely does a generational talent hit FA so clearly, this is one of those times. 

That's what I said.  Pitt can't sign him after a team makes an offer, then turn around an trade him that team.

It's a moot point now, because Pitt won't use the tag.
Yep moot now, I haven't been following the issue so wasn't up to date on that and found out later in the thread.

Pit can trade him to teams that make offers, just not the one with which he signed the offer sheet.  Sorry if it's picking nits but it could come up with some future player, and he doesn't get veto power if he signs the offer from Team A and PIT matches it then trades him to Team B. 

Bell just posted a ‘so where do I go?’ video to twitter. Haha he’s flying his flag. Teams analyst/nfl players mention that he includes in the video... ravens, Browns, Jets, colts.

Good article IMO: Agents take on Bell's contract and an what he'd need to get to validate his decision to sit a year

Joel Corry, the agent, will break down teams he think might be interested but with respect to what he'll need to validate sitting out the year here are some highlights, and spoiler alert, it don't look good for Bell unless you think he's going to get a contract fairly similar to the contracts Odell, Mack and Donald got.
I think he winds up taking less. Bell might not be as all about the money as people think.

Good article IMO: Agents take on Bell's contract and an what he'd need to get to validate his decision to sit a year

Joel Corry, the agent, will break down teams he think might be interested but with respect to what he'll need to validate sitting out the year here are some highlights, and spoiler alert, it don't look good for Bell unless you think he's going to get a contract fairly similar to the contracts Odell, Mack and Donald got.
Maybe he thought his 406 touches the previous year - 36th in nfl history before taking postseason into account - and 25 touches in the playoff game was a lot. 

Maybe he thought that wear and tear would be bad for him this year. 

Maybe he thought that it could cost him money in his next contract if he had a down year on the franchise tag. 

Maybe he realized the steelers were going to remorselessly run him into the ground last year with no intention of resigning him.  

Maybe he wants to be able tu walk and have healthy brain function when he's older. 

Maybe he prolonged his career by holding out. 

None of those things are taken seriously by the agent who wrote that article. 

You know what an agent takes seriously? 

The idea that bell signed with a small time agent and can be used as a cautionary tale to future players who consider doing the same.  

The idea that his horses might not want to make him as much money as he wants.  

The idea that publicly criticizing bell costs him nothing with other players but may endear the steelers (or other clubs) towards him in the future. 

Take the article with a grain of salt. 

Maybe he thought his 406 touches the previous year - 36th in nfl history before taking postseason into account - and 25 touches in the playoff game was a lot. 

Maybe he thought that it could cost him money in his next contract if he had a down year on the franchise tag. 

Maybe he realized the steelers were going to remorselessly run him into the ground last year with no intention of resigning him.  

Maybe he wants to be able tu walk and have healthy brain function when he's older. 

The idea that bell signed with a small time agent and can be used as a cautionary tale to future players who consider doing the same.  

The idea that publicly criticizing bell costs him nothing with other players but may endear the steelers (or other clubs) towards him in the future. 

Exactly

This is a load of messed up drivel.

I think he winds up taking less. Bell might not be as all about the money as people think.
This is nonsense.

I’m just saying, he might be forced to accept a deal for less. Also, I think part of this was due to not wanting to have Pitt destroy him
Yes he might need to accept a deal for less but his entire motivation was about pay. You seemed to suggest his hold out was not about pay, it's got 100% to do with pay. Which I'm not even knocking him for, I"m just saying, like that article is saying , he played it wrong. 

The article also addresses the "taking a year off" to maximize your future pay angle and so long as he's making the kind of money Pittsburgh was trying to pay him and he is looking for he's going to get heavily used. A year is a year so to speak, as that article was saying giving up a prime year of your career earnings in hopes of it helping you make it back later seems pretty dicey for RB's. 

Yes he might need to accept a deal for less but his entire motivation was about pay. You seemed to suggest his hold out was not about pay, it's got 100% to do with pay. Which I'm not even knocking him for, I"m just saying, like that article is saying , he played it wrong. 

The article also addresses the "taking a year off" to maximize your future pay angle and so long as he's making the kind of money Pittsburgh was trying to pay him and he is looking for he's going to get heavily used. A year is a year so to speak, as that article was saying giving up a prime year of your career earnings in hopes of it helping you make it back later seems pretty dicey for RB's. 
Well yeah it’s about pay but also about feeling disrespected and I think he was worried about getting hurt. But he did turn down a ridiculous amount of money so maybe it is all financial for Bell. His strategy clearly didn’t work so he will have to accept the best deal he can get now.

so long as he's making the kind of money Pittsburgh was trying to pay him and he is looking for he's going to get heavily used.
:goodposting:

I never understood this line of thinking.  Bell can't be the highest paid RB in the league and at the same time be on some kind of pitch count for carries/usage.

:goodposting:

I never understood this line of thinking.  Bell can't be the highest paid RB in the league and at the same time be on some kind of pitch count for carries/usage.
The steelers gave him 406 touches in 15 games and were planning on using him even more than that on a franchise tag, then not resigning him.  

History is not kind to players who get that many touches.  

If the steelers had paid him what he wanted, they'd have managed his touches with his future health in mind.  That doesn't mean they wouldn't have used him heavily, but they'd have had a mutual interest in listening to his minor injuries or not giving him another historic touch volume per game.  

And since the steelers would have had no reason to concern themselves with his 2019 prospects, if bell had torn an acl or Achilles late last year, how would his contract possibilities look today? 

It’s always been about (guaranteed) money. Le’Veon wants a team to break the bank to see what’s left in the tank. 

The optimist says he’s fresh. The pessimist says he’s rusty. We shall see. 

It’s always been about (guaranteed) money. Le’Veon wants a team to break the bank to see what’s left in the tank. 

Unless his heart is no longer in football - and only Bell truly knows this - he should be the same guy or better potentially after getting a full year off to heal. I don’t think many questions his talent on the field when he was in his prime a year ago.

Draft insider Tony Pauline reports the Jets "will target second-tier running backs" in free agency and are showing "little interest" in Le'Veon Bell.

The Jets have a boatload of cap space and cash to spend with Sam Darnold on a rookie contract and few big-money deals on the books, but just spending to spend when it comes to a replaceable position like running back may not be in the cards for GM Mike Maccagnan. Lower-tier free agent backs like Tevin Coleman and Mark Ingram appear to be more in the Jets' range while looking to use the cap space on pass rush help, which has been a dire need for the Jets for years.

RELATED: 

New York Jets

SOURCE  : Draft Analyst Blog

Mar 3, 2019, 3:09 PM

Draft insider Tony Pauline reports the Jets "will target second-tier running backs" in free agency and are showing "little interest" in Le'Veon Bell.

The Jets have a boatload of cap space and cash to spend with Sam Darnold on a rookie contract and few big-money deals on the books, but just spending to spend when it comes to a replaceable position like running back may not be in the cards for GM Mike Maccagnan. Lower-tier free agent backs like Tevin Coleman and Mark Ingram appear to be more in the Jets' range while looking to use the cap space on pass rush help, which has been a dire need for the Jets for years.

RELATED: 

New York Jets

SOURCE  : Draft Analyst Blog

Mar 3, 2019, 3:09 PM
If we had an emoji that danced, I'd use it right now. This is close.  

:clap:

No way do the Jets need this tip-toeing malcontent who is one puff away from a long, long suspension.

A couple other things to consider though:

How does he perform behind a not so stellar offensive line?

Have defenses caught up to his patient style? His ypc was down in 2017.

A couple other things to consider though:

How does he perform behind a not so stellar offensive line?

Have defenses caught up to his patient style? His ypc was down in 2017.
Having watched a lot of Bell, I have no worries that if he wants to play football he will be very good. Talent was not in question and if you watch the way he runs, it is not just the offensive line. He’s really good

Having watched a lot of Bell, I have no worries that if he wants to play football he will be very good. Talent was not in question and if you watch the way he runs, it is not just the offensive line. He’s really good
When he plays he puts it all out there. I don't doubt his passion or effort when he's on the field. He's also a team player, not self centered. Just greedy.

As a duel threat, among the best in the league. Great awareness. Pure physical ability, in the same conversation with DJ, and Chubb behind Elliot, Barkley, and Gurley.

I'm not calling him a bum. Just saying it's worth considering whether he continues the same dominance behind a different o-line and against defenses adjusting to his style, despite what we've seen him do in the past.

When he plays he puts it all out there. I don't doubt his passion or effort when he's on the field. He's also a team player, not self centered. Just greedy.

As a duel threat, among the best in the league. Great awareness. Pure physical ability, in the same conversation with DJ, and Chubb behind Elliot, Barkley, and Gurley.

I'm not calling him a bum. Just saying it's worth considering whether he continues the same dominance behind a different o-line and against defenses adjusting to his style, despite what we've seen him do in the past.
He’s going to get a massive workload so I think that it will all work out

If we take him at his word that he wanted to avoid the wear and tear of getting heavily overused by a team that used the franchise tag on him without planning to resign him, and wanted to avoid having his body and brain damaged irreparably, and that he gave up millions of dollars he'll never recover, i don't think it's fair to call him greedy. 

The Athletic's Connor Hughes reports the Jets, Eagles and Bucs are expected to be among the team interested in free agent Le'Veon Bell.

A "high-profile agent" told Hughes the Jets are "undeniably the favorite," but another source merely put them in the running. The Jets have been linked to Bell for quite some time. They have the cap space to make an overpay happen. They are reportedly also in the running for fellow free agent Tevin Coleman.

RELATED: 

New York Jets

, Philadelphia Eagles

, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: The Athletic

Mar 4, 2019, 12:53 PM

Users who are viewing this thread