What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (8 Viewers)

Right and was just saying something similar in my last post. Gurley contract is my best example. Was reported as $45M in guarantees but was really just $21M in true guarantees, all the rest was dependent on being on the roster and injuries. That's how Bell's contract is going to look.
But that's how the contract the Steelers offered to Bell looked and that's part of what ticked him off.

I think this one will only work that way if he wants it to in order to save face.  I don't think anyone is "tricking" him with fake guarantees the way some teams (Pitt) have been doing lately.

ETA: I do agree that if he has a contract sitting there with $50 million "guaranteed" it's likely that much of it is of the fake guarantee kind.

Last edited by a moderator:
But that's how the contract the Steelers offered to Bell looked and that's part of what ticked him off.

I think this one will only work that way if he wants it to in order to save face.  I don't think anyone is "tricking" him with fake guarantees 
Yep. This. I don't think anybody is tricking him if he went public last time with his dissatisfaction over the "guaranteed" money.  

Would be an ethical conflict of interest and worthy of a lawsuit if Colemans agent didnt represent him to his fullest ability
I'm no lawyer and have no inside info but i'd expect an agent in this situation to pitch it as "we need bell to reset the market for running backs before we get you the most money we can"

I think this one will only work that way if he wants it to in order to save face.  I don't think anyone is "tricking" him with fake guarantees the way some teams (Pitt) have been doing lately.

ETA: I do agree that if he has a contract sitting there with $50 million "guaranteed" it's likely that much of it is of the fake guarantee kind.
Right it's the contract Steelers offered and people held up the Gurley contract so they could cite it as Steelers being cheap but I don't agree with your "tricking" him terminology.

Also if you study just about any non-QB's contract in the league you'll see next to nothing in true guarantees into year 3 which Steelers also got criticized on. Raiders don't pay much signing bonus(probably because it's a financial hardship) so maybe the put more guarantees into year 3 them most teams but that's just because they don't like to pay it upfront. The contract the Steelers offered him was industry standard, not a trick or being cheap.

One thing you can bet your life on. He's not got an offer for a true $50M guaranteed or he'd be signed.  Silly for anyone to even believe that.

As much as i like kirwan, there's no question he's pro management on a lot of these things, so that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Agreed but also have to assume this happens a bunch? There can’t NOT be a conflict of interest occasionally when one agent represents several players. 
Remember reading how Tom Brady & Jimmy Garroppollo had the same agent...and thinking that could only help TB12.

Right it's the contract Steelers offered and people held up the Gurley contract so they could cite it as Steelers being cheap but I don't agree with your "tricking" him terminology.

Also if you study just about any non-QB's contract in the league you'll see next to nothing in true guarantees into year 3 which Steelers also got criticized on. Raiders don't pay much signing bonus(probably because it's a financial hardship) so maybe the put more guarantees into year 3 them most teams but that's just because they don't like to pay it upfront. The contract the Steelers offered him was industry standard, not a trick or being cheap.

One thing you can bet your life on. He's not got an offer for a true $50M guaranteed or he'd be signed.  Silly for anyone to even believe that.
I'm going off memory here so I could be wrong, but I believe the issue with the Steelers' contract was that it wasn't guaranteed into year 2, not year 3.  And other FAs from that year mostly had their contract guaranteed through year 2 (at least the ones I looked up quickly at the time, which included Jarvis Landry among a few others).

If I recall the Pitt contract (similar to Gurley's) was much more aggressive with the amount of false guarantees compared to a normal contract, which is apparently normal SOP for the Steelers non-QB deals.  They did the same thing to Antonio Brown (his true guarantees were 1/3rd of what someone like Demaryius Thomas got in true guarantees) and honestly I think that's a little overlooked in the Antonio Brown drama.

I'm going off memory here so I could be wrong, but I believe the issue with the Steelers' contract was that it wasn't guaranteed into year 2, not year 3.  And other FAs from that year mostly had their contract guaranteed through year 2 (at least the ones I looked up quickly at the time, which included Jarvis Landry among a few others).

If I recall the Pitt contract (similar to Gurley's) was much more aggressive with the amount of false guarantees compared to a normal contract, which is apparently normal SOP for the Steelers non-QB deals.  They did the same thing to Antonio Brown (his true guarantees were 1/3rd of what someone like Demaryius Thomas got in true guarantees) and honestly I think that's a little overlooked in the Antonio Brown drama.
I don't want to beat a dead horse but his contract was going to pay him $33M in first two years and nothing other then death was going to keep him from getting that money. That second year is inherently guaranteed because the teams can't afford to cut you. 

I do think the Jets are offering him a good contract. One that will pay him more then Gurley first two years of his deal. But it's not going to be $50m true guarantees and it's not going to make sitting out last year a good move.

I don't want to beat a dead horse but his contract was going to pay him $33M in first two years and nothing other then death was going to keep him from getting that money. That second year is inherently guaranteed because the teams can't afford to cut you. 

I do think the Jets are offering him a good contract. One that will pay him more then Gurley first two years of his deal. But it's not going to be $50m true guarantees and it's not going to make sitting out last year a good move.
And so it begins.....

Bell did not have the option to go for a multi year deal once the tag was locked in.  
Last year they offered him 14.5 a year for 4 years. The year before it was 13 a year for 4 years. 

On a playoff team, with a passing game to keep teams honest and with a top 5 offensive line.

Looking at cap space -- in 2017 it was 7.8% of cap offered. In 2018 it was 8.2% offered. And the Jets offer if at 17 is 9.0% of the cap and he doesn't like it because of the other items that are missing.

JoeSteeler said:
as of right now, today, I believe most people would say Ben > Mayfield. Could this change in the (near) future? Of course.
What do you think now that Baker is the one with the mega-elite WR?

Big Ben has been amazing for years but there's cracks showing for people who know what to look for and he just lost the best WR he'll ever play with. Baker is just warming up. Not saying Baker will have a better career but if i was drafting a QB for next year only.....I'm taking Baker. 

LawFitz said:
FTR, based on Kirwan's and earlier reports, I think the Jets gave him a too good to refuse offer. But b/c they are the Jets, he's trying a last ditch effort to get the Ravens, Raiders or some other dark horse to come close, or at least up their bids significantly.

For all the talk about this guy being only about money, I sense he may be willing to forego a good amount of cash to play with a team more to his liking. I think his issue with Pittsburgh was as much about principles and respect as much as it was about straight dollars and sense.

Let's see how this plays out. Won't be surprised to see him take 10-20% less than what the Jets are offering to play for Chucky and AB or with LJax instead.
Plus with the Raiders moving to Vegas next year they could structure the contract where he takes a little less money this year so he gets more next year in Vegas with no state taxes. So lets say he takes 10% less to go to the Raiders is he really losing out that much considering the high taxes in New York.

Well looks like no news tonight. See you all tomorrow for the thrilling conclusion of The Le'Veon Bell show.

Former Steelers’ RB Le’Veon Bell plans to sign with…the New York Jets, a league source tells ESPN. (Schefter)

@AdamSchefter 

Le’Veon Bell’s four-year deal with the New York Jets has a max value of $61 million and includes $35 million guaranteed, per source.

Jason La Canfora‏Verified account @JasonLaCanfora 6m6 minutes ago

Bell had chance to make $45M over 3 years and $20.5 in 1st 9 months of deals Steelers had on table; I suspect when this Jets contract fine print is in, its basically $26M\2yrs and then he can be easily released as he approaches age 30

Jets agreed to terms with RB Le'Veon Bell, formerly of the Steelers, on a four-year, $52.5 million contract.

Finally. He gets $35 million guaranteed. Bell was greeted with a cold market, and all along it appeared to be the Jets bidding against themselves. There were rumors of the Bills, Bears, Chiefs, Eagles, Bucs, Packers, Ravens, and Raiders at various times being linked to Bell, but none of them seemed all that serious at Bell's asking price. The Jets always made the most sense as a team with a boatload of cap space and in need of some playmaking help to supplement Sam Darnold. It's a nice landing spot for Bell to return to RB1 form in fantasy. The Jets acquired top-notch LG Kelechi Osemele from the Raiders earlier in the week to help in the blocking department. At $13.125 million per year, Bell slides in between Todd Gurley and David Johnson as the league's second-highest paid back.
The guaranteed money is the key here, it pretty much has to be but we don't know how much the Steelers proposed to him. Only thing we can be sure is he's sure to be one of the Top 3 RBs off the board.

25m two years ago and 30m last year.
Whelp, so I guess it was about the guaranteed cash + incentives. The other thing besides the Pittsburgh drama is no team was really breaking the bank here besides the Jets. Ravens shifted to Ingram, Browns got Hunt, Eagles according to reports were content to wait, Packers/Bears/Chiefs didn't need him; only the Raiders possibly could have paid for him and they are throwing cash at other areas.

35 million guaranteed is a win for Bell in the end. Happy for him. 
You consider this a win? Bell has handled his NFL future like a batty old woman who keeps her fortune hidden in soup cans because she’s too afraid to invest. The safest approach is rarely the optimal one. Bell likely got himself a larger short term guarantee, but now he’s playing in a far less dominant offense and, by any financial / risk model I can create, has lower expected career earnings. That’s a strange way to “win”

You consider this a win? Bell has handled his NFL future like a batty old woman who keeps her fortune hidden in soup cans because she’s too afraid to invest. The safest approach is rarely the optimal one. Bell likely got himself a larger short term guarantee, but now he’s playing in a far less dominant offense and, by any financial / risk model I can create, has lower expected career earnings. That’s a strange way to “win”
You might need to work on creating some new models. Your missing the one where Pitt runs him into the ground on the last year of his deal 

Bell has handled his NFL future like a
He had an absolute ton of unknowns and new territory to try and circumnavigate.

It obviously didn't work out like he was expecting (wanted more than 17m per) but at least he tried. And getting bad/incorrect advice along the way in regards to the money that would be offered surely didn't help. Even I thought that Indy, Oak, Hou, SF and someone else would step up to the Jets lower level offering.

Users who are viewing this thread