Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Eminence

Le'Veon Bell

35 million guaranteed is a win for Bell in the end. Happy for him. 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Steelers only offered 10 million guaranteed. Lol Steelers 

Jason La Canfora‏Verified account @JasonLaCanfora 6m6 minutes ago

Bell had chance to make $45M over 3 years and $20.5 in 1st 9 months of deals Steelers had on table; I suspect when this Jets contract fine print is in, its basically $26M\2yrs and then he can be easily released as he approaches age 30

Just now, Milkman said:

Steelers only offered 10 million guaranteed. Lol Steelers 

Please stop spreading that nonsense.

• Like 7

Jets agreed to terms with RB Le'Veon Bell, formerly of the Steelers, on a four-year, $52.5 million contract.

Finally. He gets $35 million guaranteed. Bell was greeted with a cold market, and all along it appeared to be the Jets bidding against themselves. There were rumors of the Bills, Bears, Chiefs, Eagles, Bucs, Packers, Ravens, and Raiders at various times being linked to Bell, but none of them seemed all that serious at Bell's asking price. The Jets always made the most sense as a team with a boatload of cap space and in need of some playmaking help to supplement Sam Darnold. It's a nice landing spot for Bell to return to RB1 form in fantasy. The Jets acquired top-notch LG Kelechi Osemele from the Raiders earlier in the week to help in the blocking department. At $13.125 million per year, Bell slides in between Todd Gurley and David Johnson as the league's second-highest paid back.

The guaranteed money is the key here, it pretty much has to be but we don't know how much the Steelers proposed to him. Only thing we can be sure is he's sure to be one of the Top 3 RBs off the board.

5 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

but we don't know how much the Steelers proposed to him.

25m two years ago and 30m last year.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, BigSteelThrill said:

25m two years ago and 30m last year.

Whelp, so I guess it was about the guaranteed cash + incentives. The other thing besides the Pittsburgh drama is no team was really breaking the bank here besides the Jets. Ravens shifted to Ingram, Browns got Hunt, Eagles according to reports were content to wait, Packers/Bears/Chiefs didn't need him; only the Raiders possibly could have paid for him and they are throwing cash at other areas.

Edited by The Frankman

Le'Veon probably has a NegAm mortgage.

• Laughing 1

46 minutes ago, Milkman said:

35 million guaranteed is a win for Bell in the end. Happy for him. 

You consider this a win? Bell has handled his NFL future like a batty old woman who keeps her fortune hidden in soup cans because she’s too afraid to invest. The safest approach is rarely the optimal one. Bell likely got himself a larger short term guarantee, but now he’s playing in a far less dominant offense and, by any financial / risk model I can create, has lower expected career earnings. That’s a strange way to “win”

2 minutes ago, electric Ape said:

You consider this a win? Bell has handled his NFL future like a batty old woman who keeps her fortune hidden in soup cans because she’s too afraid to invest. The safest approach is rarely the optimal one. Bell likely got himself a larger short term guarantee, but now he’s playing in a far less dominant offense and, by any financial / risk model I can create, has lower expected career earnings. That’s a strange way to “win”

You might need to work on creating some new models. Your missing the one where Pitt runs him into the ground on the last year of his deal 

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, electric Ape said:

Bell has handled his NFL future like a

He had an absolute ton of unknowns and new territory to try and circumnavigate.

It obviously didn't work out like he was expecting (wanted more than 17m per) but at least he tried. And getting bad/incorrect advice along the way in regards to the money that would be offered surely didn't help. Even I thought that Indy, Oak, Hou, SF and someone else would step up to the Jets lower level offering.

Edited by BigSteelThrill

This was always about the guaranteed money.  Steelers never guaranteed beyond year 1.  Bell can now plan his life around a minimum $35M.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

Steelers never guaranteed beyond year 1.

There was 30m siting there last year.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

$35 mil isn’t a loss but I’m guessing it’s tied to him being attached to the roster which is similar to Gurley. I said about a hundred pages ago the cap hit in year 2 for the Steelers would have been so astronomical that there is no way they would have cut him. So essentially he gave up a season of his career and was an ### hole for $5 million. There is also an argument to be made that he could have walked into year three and be heading toward $45, an extention or being cut and hitting free agency. There is also an argument that even with an ACL and short of an Achilles tear or something astronomical he could have walked into this market and gotten $15 mil in the bag on a one year deal. Stop being charlatans.

Edited by Bojang0301

Also, the fake leaks and players retweeting #### for him was pretty gross. About as low as I’ve seen a player go for a little money. https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1105756615599423488?s=21

“Despite speculation that Baltimore was involved in the talks and bidding, the Ravens never made an offer for running back Le’Veon Bell, per source.”

18 minutes ago, Bojang0301 said:

he could have walked  

I think that was one of the goals of not playing for the run him into the ground he's on the franchise tag steelers.  Being able to walk later in life.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

@AdamSchefter 

Le’Veon Bell’s four-year deal with the New York Jets has a max value of $61 million and includes $35 million guaranteed, per source.

I'm interested in what those last 8.5 million in incentives are.  If it's stuff he's likely to earn in the first years then this was more of a win for him than the reported 52.5  over 4. Also interested in how much of the guaranteed money is actually guaranteed and when. 

Just now, bostonfred said:

I'm interested in what those last 8.5 million in incentives are.  If it's stuff he's likely to earn in the first years then this was more of a win for him than the reported 52.5  over 4. Also interested in how much of the guaranteed money is actually guaranteed and when. 

Yep. Once the details are out we can start discussing win/loss.

43 minutes ago, Bojang0301 said:

$35 mil isn’t a loss but I’m guessing it’s tied to him being attached to the roster which is similar to Gurley. I said about a hundred pages ago the cap hit in year 2 for the Steelers would have been so astronomical that there is no way they would have cut him. So essentially he gave up a season of his career and was an ### hole for $5 million. There is also an argument to be made that he could have walked into year three and be heading toward $45, an extention or being cut and hitting free agency. There is also an argument that even with an ACL and short of an Achilles tear or something astronomical he could have walked into this market and gotten $15 mil in the bag on a one year deal. Stop being charlatans.

Yes, the same thing would have been said about taking a $20+M dead cap hit for trading a stud WR for a 3rd & 5th; but that just happened.

Point being, one can say a fake guarantee is as good a a real guarantee & a player will never be cut, but those are just words. Unless they’re written into the contract, they mean nothing.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, msommer said:

Yep. Once the details are out we can start discussing win/loss.

This. Is part of the 35 mil guaranteed for injury only?

6 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

This. Is part of the 35 mil guaranteed for injury only?

That would be YUGE

Posted (edited)

Well well, all the people saying oh he is going get 50 guaranteed at least, blah blah. Now I'm seeing oh it's a win for him. Too funny, he had nothing better and had to take it. Screwed himself big time and he goes to a team that isn't going to be close to be any good. But him & brown dont give a squat about winning, just the checks. Jets & raiders may not have 8 wins total between them next year.

Edited by irish eyes

4 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

This was always about the guaranteed money.  Steelers never guaranteed beyond year 1.  Bell can now plan his life around a minimum $35M.

And pay twice the state taxes.

1 hour ago, bostonfred said:

I think that was one of the goals of not playing for the run him into the ground he's on the franchise tag steelers.  Being able to walk later in life.  

Then play baseball, most irrelevant argument ever.  

So it's basically almost the same deal the Steelers offer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bayhawks said:

Yes, the same thing would have been said about taking a $20+M dead cap hit for trading a stud WR for a 3rd & 5th; but that just happened.

Point being, one can say a fake guarantee is as good a a real guarantee & a player will never be cut, but those are just words. Unless they’re written into the contract, they mean nothing.

You mean... like Ross Tucker thinks the Jets are doing: https://twitter.com/rosstuckernfl/status/1105762903330832386?s=21

He’s gonna fire his agent, yes?

Anyone listen to his mixtape? Working through it in the gym now, I just shut it off - it’s pretty bad, but honestly I expected worse. 

How are so many of you still convinced rapsheets guaranteed number from last year is accurate. Haven't you learned not to trust something if only Rapsheet has reported it?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, belljr said:

So it's basically almost the same deal the Steelers offer

To me it looks worse, especially if that’s the headline. He’s gonna want to bury the lead on this one quick. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Tool said:

You might need to work on creating some new models. Your missing the one where Pitt runs him into the ground on the last year of his deal 

You can't compare the Jets deal to the 14.5 transition tag.  Instead, it should be compared to the Steelers long term offer and in that light the decision seems very bad.

Edited by Steeler

So after all the drama Gurley is still the highest paid RB.

Per Adam Schefter -

"

At $13.125 million per year, Bell slides in between Todd Gurley and David Johnson as the league's second-highest paid back."

4 minutes ago, Steeler said:

You can't compare the Jets deal to the 14.5 transition tag.  Instead, it should be compared to the Steelers long term offer and in that light the decision seems less optimal.

Losing a year in his prime for at best comparable money is slightly worse than less optimal.

Think we’ve seen the last guy to sit on the tag for at least another 20 years or until there is a change to the CBA.

1 minute ago, fantasycurse42 said:

Losing a year in his prime for at best comparable money is slightly worse than less optimal.

Agreed.  I already changed it but you were too quick to respond.

• Like 1

Now that we know this was an idiotic move, what do we think he does on the Jets? 

Pitt was gonna run him into the ground even more than they did to Conner. So, at best with Pitt, it was a 2 year deal for how much? Don't think he makes it 3 years before they toss him aside. Then no one pays him in 2020. He could be in the exact same boat here. 

In February, a Jets fan offered Le’Veon Bell $60 million to come to New York, but at the time, the free-agent running back replied and said that wouldn’t be enough.

“ that ain’t enough to come run with the Jets…”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Pitt was gonna run him into the ground even more than they did to Conner. So, at best with Pitt, it was a 2 year deal for how much? Don't think he makes it 3 years before they toss him aside. Then no one pays him in 2020. He could be in the exact same boat here. 

Or he plays for $14.5mm last year and gets $35mm this year. 

Posted (edited)

Top 5 RB - maybe #1 - in fantasy for 2019

Edited by Gandalf

6 minutes ago, Gandalf said:

Top 5 RB - maybe #1 - in fantasy for 2019

Top 5, yes. #1? Not sure about that. I’d project at least Barkley, Zeke, Kamara and Gurley (if healthy) ahead of him. I’d probably consider McC and Gordon as well. 

6 hours ago, BigSteelThrill said:

He had an absolute ton of unknowns and new territory to try and circumnavigate.

It obviously didn't work out like he was expecting (wanted more than 17m per) but at least he tried. And getting bad/incorrect advice along the way in regards to the money that would be offered surely didn't help. Even I thought that Indy, Oak, Hou, SF and someone else would step up to the Jets lower level offering.

He got Kaepernicked. 

13 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Or he plays for $14.5mm last year and gets $35mm this year. 

Chance he didn't want to take. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Top 5, yes. #1? Not sure about that. I’d project at least Barkley, Zeke, Kamara and Gurley (if healthy) ahead of him. I’d probably consider McC and Gordon as well. 

Zeke is the guy with the least questions. Hed be my #1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Now the Jets will run him into the ground.  Playing for the Jets will not preserve his body or guarantee he will be able to walk later in life. If Bell is in as bad of shape as reported it will be interesting to see what kind of season he has. 

Congrats to LeVeon Bell and the Jets for this signing.

Please continue to discuss the pros and cons of this signing, of LeVeon Bell's actions the past year plus, and all "I told you so!" right here in this thread until the end of time, but nowhere else.

#toomuchtoask

• Like 1