What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (2 Viewers)

Le'Veon Bell rushed 21 times for 87 yards in the Jets' Week 15 loss to the Ravens.

Bell "added" two receptions for one yard. In an indictment of just how disappointing Bell's first year in New York has been, his rushing yards were a new season high. A $27 million guaranteed back and he hasn't even reached 100 yards on the ground by Week 16. Bell also had a bizarre evening as a receiver, noticeably failing to run out a few routes. FOX commentator Troy Aikman took notice. Bell now has 10 days to rest up for another nightmare matchup in the Steelers. He will remain a mid-range, floor-based RB2 for that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he doesn't get motivated to play next week then there is no hope for this guy, he should just retire and make bad music
You should probably take your bitter butt out of this thread because you are clueless on the topic. You keep posting as if he's just coasting. He's running hard every game, breaking tackles and churning forward, but the line and play calling is terrible. He's also been a great locker room guy.

You should probably take your bitter butt out of this thread because you are clueless on the topic. You keep posting as if he's just coasting. He's running hard every game, breaking tackles and churning forward, but the line and play calling is terrible. He's also been a great locker room guy.
Le’Veon? Is that you?

Le’Veon? Is that you?
I'm basing that on all reports - obviously not first hand knowledge. Instead of complaining publicly about his usage he texted Gase, He was trying to rally the team when Darnold was out, he's supported Darnold and all reports have said he's a leader in the locker room.

His running style is not a great fit for this poor o-line, but Gase is the biggest reason he hasn't been more productive. I just feel like he's getting an unfair rap and it's mostly from bitter Steeler fans. Personally I think his hold out was ill advised from a business perspective but he didn't and it was his right. These teams have no issues with using up and spitting out players or screwing them whenever they can - so why shouldn't players use their leverage or look out for their careers?

Been a couple of years since his Steeler career but to me Bell seems to have lost a step. Just does not seem explosive at all.    Maybe he has always been this way but in Pitt the holes were bigger and the offense better and it was not noticable.   That might be the case seeing what Connor did last year.

These teams have no issues with using up and spitting out players or screwing them whenever they can - so why shouldn't players use their leverage or look out for their careers?
This is all true. I think that many fans have somewhat of a naive hope that star players can just mentally block out all concerns about money, future career, etc. and always concentrate fully on playing great right now and helping their team win. That "team" and "winning" matter to a player, like, 100 times more than money and career.

And while, academically, we know that's not realistic in a business like pro football ... many of us will still hold it against any player who shows us a peek of the reality behind the curtain: "I'm ALL. ABOUT. ME! MY CASH! MY NEXT CONTRACT! ME! ME! ME!!!!"

Yes, it's totally honest. Some may find it refreshing. Many, if not most, find it unpalatable.

I can't say I disagree with the "unpalatable" stance -- I'd rather not see how the sausages are made, but we have Twitter and a 24-hour news cycle now. Still, I can't really fault the "me!" guys -- they see themselves in the teams' eyes as commodities and respond accordingly.

For me the concluding thought is this: Once a player gets it into his head that his future needs to be protected, can his current efforts on the football field be anything but compromised? How can you go nuts and be reckless with your body to squeeze out all those extra yards and totally sell out to win when you know playing that way threatens your next contract?

How can a player serve two masters: the competition on the field being one and the future contract on the other?

Alvin Kamara is getting some flak for this among the more pessimistic of Saints fandom. Some say that since this season's high ankle sprain was his first real injury, his potential lost career earnings flashed before his eyes and he's now protecting himself in games. Playing more cautiously than in 2017-18 to ensure that he can cash in.

I think Bell and the Steelers each had blame in the way his situation was handled.  Ultimately, I think they should have tried to move Bell prior to his hold out.  And while I think it was a poor decision to hold out in the manner that he did, I have no ill will towards Bell.  His was a business decision (unlike Antonio Brown who signed a long term contract and then decided to quit on the team).

As for Bell on the Jets(or anywhere else for that matter), I think his running style means that his offensive line really has to buy into what he is doing.  Hold your blocks longer, because you don't know how long he is going to hesitate.  The Steelers offensive line with Bell was a veteran group, and most had worked with him from the beginning.  I don't think he has lost a step as much as I think he just doesn't have the same group of guys creating the same holes for him.  And I think he is being underutilized in the passing game, which is certainly on Gase, not him.

It was generally accepted that Bell was leaving an optimal football situation and pretty much anywhere he would land would be less than optimal. Here we are.  :shrug:

Not bitter at all.  I was responding to the Troy Aikman quote.  Sorry if My post offended you

Not bitter at all.  I was responding to the Troy Aikman quote.  Sorry if My post offended you
It wasn't offensive it was ill informed, and you've done that a few times. Troy did say during one route last night that he didn't run it out - I'm not sure I agree on that but even so one "lazy" routes doesn't speak to what he's been doing all season.

Aside from a joke about the bowling allley I don’t recall questioning Bells effort when he’s on the field.

My remark regarding him complaining about not getting enough carries in NY vs too many in Pitt was a statement on the guy being a malcontent And selfish which I think he is proving. 

If you disagree then fine but I don’t think you are any better informed than anyone else here and when you make remarks like You’re not being excellent IMO.

ill leave the thread though if that’s what you want 

Aside from a joke about the bowling allley I don’t recall questioning Bells effort when he’s on the field.

My remark regarding him complaining about not getting enough carries in NY vs too many in Pitt was a statement on the guy being a malcontent And selfish which I think he is proving. 

If you disagree then fine but I don’t think you are any better informed than anyone else here and when you make remarks like You’re not being excellent IMO.

ill leave the thread though if that’s what you want 
Fair enough. I do feel I'm more informed to speak on his efforts week in and week out since I watch every game and I interpreted your remarks as questioning his efforts. 

I think misinformation is dangerous and you do have an agenda since he "damaged" your team. You call him a malcontent and selfish for making a decision about his health, his money and his career, something we all do in our world. That's pretty unfair.

Obviously you can be in whatever thread you want. I apologize for being snarky though.

It wasn't offensive it was ill informed, and you've done that a few times. Troy did say during one route last night that he didn't run it out - I'm not sure I agree on that but even so one "lazy" routes doesn't speak to what he's been doing all season.

Yeah this is the second time this week—me (and Eagles fan) has defended Bell. I don’t know what Aikman is looking at. That play he referenced looked like they weren’t on the same page. Every time I watch Bell play this year—a fair amount—I see a guy playing his ### off. Darnold didn’t even look at him wide open numerous times on what would have been shorter but meaningful gains. 

Guy ran better against Baltimore than anyone I’ve seen in recent weeks, his coach sucks, his QB looks terrible under  pressure. I saw that dude take a Rockyesque beating against Philly with a QB who’s now flipping burgers somewhere. This narrative that he’s not trying is utter balderdash.

Tearing it down. That was actually a good article by Cimini in that he points out that Douglas neither felt pressure to kowtow to the previous front office, nor did he burn it down to show who was the new boss in NY. We'll get a better feel for Douglas in the upcoming offseason and draft. 

As for Bell, yes he played with a bad line and some gruesome QBs, but he looked always slow to the line, never really effective in the Jets scheme, even when their scheme, normally anathema for his style, was designed for him. I'll admit Sam could have checked down a whole lot more, but Bell's overall athleticism and speed didn't seem to be there. (Though I've always thought he was a few years and one step from obscurity anyway.)

And this is a guy -- Bell -- who has won me championships. I have no fantasy bone to pick with him. Always solid production. But he was never a fit with the Jets roster nor Gase. His logical landing spot given cap space and salary demands blew up in his face.

I don't feel really bad for him for that, either. Could have earned it in Pittsburgh, who missed him last and this year, which would have likely been his swan song before anybody realized it. 

Tearing it down. That was actually a good article by Cimini in that he points out that Douglas neither felt pressure to kowtow to the previous front office, nor did he burn it down to show who was the new boss in NY. We'll get a better feel for Douglas in the upcoming offseason and draft. 

As for Bell, yes he played with a bad line and some gruesome QBs, but he looked always slow to the line, never really effective in the Jets scheme, even when their scheme, normally anathema for his style, was designed for him. I'll admit Sam could have checked down a whole lot more, but Bell's overall athleticism and speed didn't seem to be there. (Though I've always thought he was a few years and one step from obscurity anyway.)

And this is a guy -- Bell -- who has won me championships. I have no fantasy bone to pick with him. Always solid production. But he was never a fit with the Jets roster nor Gase. His logical landing spot given cap space and salary demands blew up in his face.

I don't feel really bad for him for that, either. Could have earned it in Pittsburgh, who missed him last and this year, which would have likely been his swan song before anybody realized it. 
You've been biased about him from the past though, so I would add that to the mix.

You can argue that his style is not a good match for this horrific o-line, but come on, he gets hit in the backfield on almost every play and yet still manages to gain an extra couple of yards out of the play. Would more than 2 of the o-line make anyone else's roster? They are pitiful.  I thought he looked great early in the season despite the loaded box.

When Darnold came back, they hardly utilized him in the passing game, a major faux pas of Gase/Darnold.  Bell is a good runner, but an exceptional pass catcher and these dopes never took advantage of that. Mr. Gun-slinger has him open on just about every play, but forces it downfield into double or triple coverage like some dummy. I have faith that Darnold will get better about this, but obviously it won't be Gase's tutelage to break him of this tendency.

Bell would have looked really good under a competent coaching staff imo. 

You've been biased about him from the past though, so I would add that to the mix.
In fairness to me, I did take out those individual threads two years ago about his running style of tiptoeing to the line when I was intoxicated. And the constant harping on not giving him that contract may have been from my quarter. But does that it make it confirmation bias when I can count him responsible for fantasy titles? (Draws breath)

Yeah, I'm a little biased. I'll admit it.

You can argue that his style is not a good match for this horrific o-line, but come on, he gets hit in the backfield on almost every play and yet still manages to gain an extra couple of yards out of the play. Would more than 2 of the o-line make anyone else's roster? They are pitiful.  I thought he looked great early in the season despite the loaded box.
I think it's a little more than just an awful offensive line. He was 45th out of 46th qualifiers in YPC. Make what you want or dispute that statistic, at his volume, that's bad. At least he doesn't seemingly accomplish the feat of running parallel to the line while he's running straight ahead like Sony Michel does. Now he's an utterly repulsive back until it gets so cold in Gillette you break tackling him.

When Darnold came back, they hardly utilized him in the passing game, a major faux pas of Gase/Darnold.  Bell is a good runner, but an exceptional pass catcher and these dopes never took advantage of that. Mr. Gun-slinger has him open on just about every play, but forces it downfield into double or triple coverage like some dummy. I have faith that Darnold will get better about this, but obviously it won't be Gase's tutelage to break him of this tendency.
We're in nothing but agreement here. Bell and Josh Jacobs of the Raiders both looked bewildered most of the year as their quarterbacks refused easy and open check downs constantly. Sam and Dave don't like the pressure (there's a song there to be had, if you hum me a few bars...) but they certainly weren't taking easy steps to alleviate it.  So yes, the Gase/Darnold show didn't integrate him fully and use his potential for not just rushing yards, but yards from scrimmage. I'll concede that. 

That said, he still gone. He'll likely have a good year somewhere, but nothing like he was with Pittsburgh. And that's what the Jets were paying for at RB. 

The offense didn't look great today, but thanks to Williams for another win. Hopefully this is the last time I have to look at Ficken kick for us again.

We're drafting 11th.

Went to Yahoo and sorted by Fantasy Points, and was blown away to see Bell finished 2nd.  And somehow Todd Gurley jumped up to #1.  I somehow selected 2017 stats.  Oof.

As a Bell owner, I’m praying he ends up in KC next year. 

looking at more of the same if he stays with the NYJ. Bad coach who didn’t want him and doesn’t use him effectively.

He would be lights out with Reid.

Asked Monday if Le'Veon Bell will remain the Jets' 2020 starter at running back, coach Adam Gase replied "ask (GM Joe Douglas) tomorrow."

Gase's open antagonism to his high-dollar running back has been close to unprecedented. Although Gase did give Bell the requisite work this season — the 27-year-old averaged 16 carries and 21 touches — the coach has taken every opportunity to make it clear he was not in favor of Bell's signing by ex-GM Mike Maccagnan. Gase made a big show of throwing Bell under the bus when he was ruled out against his will in Week 14 then went bowling. Bell, of course, had a miserable year running behind the Jets' horrendous offensive line, averaging a career-worst 3.2 yards per carry. He was made available ahead of October's trade deadline and will certainly be shopped this offseason. Cutting Bell would leave behind $19 million in dead money while freeing up just $3.5 million. It's not a good situation.

SOURCE: Manish Mehta on Twitter

Dec 30, 2019, 10:44 AM ET

Speaking Tuesday, Jets GM Joe Douglas admitted the team will "listen" on Le'Veon Bell trade offers this offseason.

"If teams call, I’m going to listen," Douglas said. The GM then, of course, equivocated, but Douglas is just confirming what the Jets have been making obvious for months. Coach Adam Gase once again threw Bell under the bus at his season-ending presser on Monday. Especially coming off a career-worst campaign, 27-year-old Bell's contract is close to untradeable, but the Jets will assuredly be willing to get creative.

SOURCE: Brian Costello on Twitter

Dec 31, 2019, 1:14 PM ET

ChiefD said:
This won't happen.

Chiefs don't really have the cap room, and they don't really need to devote high dollars to that position. And they have so many priorities and big contracts they still need to dole out.
plus they could draft a cheap guy at 32 thats better than bell if they so choose

plus they could draft a cheap guy at 32 thats better than bell if they so choose
I would disagree that there is a RB in this class that is better than Bell(at least for 2020) but in that offense especially, they can easily find an adequate starter at 63. Then again, they may just feel that when healthy Damian Williams is just that, an adequate starter, so its possible they may not even address the position at all beyond maybe a late round depth pick.

The Chiefs might be willing to give up a draft pick for Bell if the Jets eat most of his 2020 salary.  Bell is due a guaranteed $13.46 million this year.  The problem is that Bell is due $11.5 million in 2021 and $13 million in 2022 so it'd likely be a 1 year rental.

The Chiefs might be willing to give up a draft pick for Bell if the Jets eat most of his 2020 salary.  Bell is due a guaranteed $13.46 million this year.  The problem is that Bell is due $11.5 million in 2021 and $13 million in 2022 so it'd likely be a 1 year rental.
There is no way the Chiefs are giving up a draft pick for this guy. 

They won their Super Bowl and have proven they can win it with any back you throw in there. They aren't giving up draft capital for this guy, especially with all the other holes they have in their roster this year. 

According to ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini, the odds of Le'Veon Bell being traded this offseason are "remote."

Despite coach Adam Gase's open antagonism of Bell throughout his debut season in the Big Apple, Cimini doesn't see a trade coming to fruition without the Jets taking on a significant portion of his 2020 salary, which calls for a whopping $13.5 million in guarantees. Even then, Cimini wouldn't anticipate New York getting much in return for Bell (a Day 3 draft pick is probably the best they could hope for), who the Jets believe put on weight in 2019 while losing much of his explosiveness. Only Buccaneers plodder Peyton Barber averaged fewer yards per rushing attempt (3.1) than Bell (3.2) last season.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Feb 17, 2020, 10:43 AM ET

The Jets are unsure if Le'Veon Bell will participate in the team's offseason program.

"It’s not a huge deal," coach Adam Gase claimed. Gase has gone out of his way to make it clear he wouldn't mind if Bell were traded, but the running back's contract is almost impossible to move. Bell holds all leverage with the team and has little incentive to show up for voluntary work. Bell and Gase's relationship will be one to monitor during training camp. It is quite possible Gase attempts to go with more of a committee after Bell's down 2019.

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

Feb 25, 2020, 12:44 PM ET

Coach Adam Gase said "I do think we have some guys that can help maybe lessen the load on (RB Le'Veon Bell) to where it's not all on him."

Gase added he hopes the Jets can get some of the younger backs to where they make, "a good one-two punch to where we can really excel instead of feeling like it's just all on him all the time." The Jets added a plethora of capable offensive linemen in free agency to help fix last season's train-wreck of a unit. Overall, the Steelers and Jets averaged a league-low 1.4 yards before contact per rush. Basically, it was an impossible situation for Bell to thrive in. This isn't to say he didn't try; Bell's 59 broken tackles were the ninth-highest mark among all RBs in 2019. He continued to ball out when lined up as a true WR, as has been the case throughout his entire career. Gase continues to give the opposite of endorsements about Bell's status as the offense's featured back. Still, money usually talks in these types of situations.

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter

May 4, 2020, 8:55 AM ET

Jets RB Le'Veon Bell told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler he "can't wait" to run behind the team's revamped offensive line.

Fowler asked Bell if noticed the offseason priority of adding "road-graders" to clear a path for the runner, responding with "absolutely." The running game can only improve after last season's disastrous performance, where the Jets ranked among the bottom three teams in numerous run game metrics. The additions of Mekhi Becton, guard Greg Van Roten, center Connor McGovern and tackle George Fant among others should create more yards before contact for Bell, who also has to worry about staying in favor of head coach Adam Gase.

SOURCE: ESPN

May 27, 2020, 1:02 PM ET

As a LeVeon Bell owner I can't say I'm super excited. Darnold sucks and when's the last time the Jets offense was any good?

I've fished him a little bit in the one dynasty league I still own him, and guys look at him like he's Trent Richardson or worse. Seems like an over reactions as usage/touches in the passing game alone should make him a fine flex starter don't most think? 

Users who are viewing this thread