What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (4 Viewers)

I've fished him a little bit in the one dynasty league I still own him, and guys look at him like he's Trent Richardson or worse. Seems like an over reactions as usage/touches in the passing game alone should make him a fine flex starter don't most think? 
Yeah I definitely wouldn't give him away. Especially if you're a contender this year. 

"Draft or Pass: Le'Veon Bell is RB1 Talent With RB2 Price Tag"

With RB3 teammates and RB4 coaching
That last part is what really hurts Bell, I think. Every time Gase opens his mouth it seems like Bell's usage & value go down. I have a team that looked like it had a great RB core a few years ago. Too bad that centered on Bell & Gordon who decided to torpedo my lineup with back-to-back holdouts. Brilliant. My team has now placed between 6th-8th in 3 seasons so I decided to go with a big shakeup.

I was offered Gallup / OJ Howard / Clelin Ferrel for Bell and accepted immediately. 

That last part is what really hurts Bell, I think. Every time Gase opens his mouth it seems like Bell's usage & value go down. I have a team that looked like it had a great RB core a few years ago. Too bad that centered on Bell & Gordon who decided to torpedo my lineup with back-to-back holdouts. Brilliant. My team has now placed between 6th-8th in 3 seasons so I decided to go with a big shakeup.

I was offered Gallup / OJ Howard / Clelin Ferrel for Bell and accepted immediately. 
I had Gurley and Bell in a start-up dynasty league a few years back.  Felt like I was set to win 4 or 5 titles in a row.  Womp womp.

His best years are definitely behind him.  I was down on him last year.  Switching from the Steelers to the Jets, a year off from organized football.  He still did OK in PPR.  But a RB1, he certainly aint. 

He's still their best RB. But Gase has a knack for misusing his best backs and using...well, Frank Gore.  Hearing Gase talk about wanting to trade Bell, lighten his load, etc isn't a ringing endorsement for his fantasy prospects.  But honestly if he gets traded, his fantasy prospects almost have to jump up. 

They upgraded the o-line.  He should be better than his god awful 3.2 ypc last year.  He had about 16 carries per game last year, so dropping to 14 would seem like a legit workload reduction, so around 225?    Assuming he can rebound to 4 yards per carry behind the revamped o-line, you're at 900 yards rushing.  I can see him around the 240 carry range again, but I'm not going to predict he breaks 1,000 rushing yards with the Jets. 

Receiving wise, ~60 catches for 450 seems reasonable.

285 total touches, 1350 yards.

TD wise...meh.  He had 3 last year.  I don't forsee the Jets lighting it up.  He should see SOME positive TD regression.  Maybe 5-6 rushing TD's, 1-2 Receiving TD's, let's call it 7. 

I think he might surprise in PPR. I'd stay away in standard though. Darnold going to dump it off to Bell as much as Bell wants.

Pff.com says Jets put resources in improving online. So it is the X factor.

For these reasons I think the season he had last year is about as low as it gets for Bell. I’d say draft him as your RB3 or RB4. If you don’t get him big deal. If you do you got a solid flex/fillin guy with upside if Jets actually improve. 
It's a nice thought to draft him as your RB3 or 4.  FantasyPros has him at RB19 in their PPR rankings.  10 teams or 12 teams--that's still an RB2 pricetag.  His ADP is 37, so start of the 4th round in 12 team leagues, late 4th round if 12 teams.  You're not often taking your RB4 at that point.  And while you can take your RB3, you may get a lot better value out of going WR at that point.  

His ADP being 37--I think there's a better chance he finishes as worse than the 37th best player vs finishing better than 37th.  

Here is adp according to my league set up of 2qb and 1 ppr. 

https://draftwizard.fantasypros.com/football/adp/mock-drafts/overall/2qb-ppr-10-teams

they have him going 6th round. I got him in the 7th as my third RB. My picks were LJackson, DAdams, KDrake, MStafford, Fournette, ARobinson, LBell.

so I targeted him as RB3 for my team and got him there. If someone took him before my pick oh well. But I chose ARobinson before taking him because I wanted my number two WR. In fact, I was shocked and happy ARobinson fell to me. I have a lot of those picks on my team, not sexy but good value where I got them. 

if you read my posts I am advocating targeting him as RB3 and you will either get him or not.
Sure.  Most drafts aren't using 2 QB's--which will push down values on some of the WR/RB's.  

In normal drafts that are using 1 QB, 2 RB, 2-3 WR and 1 flex--he's an RB2 going in the 4th round, maaaaybe 5th if he slips.  

The Athletic's Connor Hughes reports Le'Veon Bell has been "training like a mad man" this offseason. 

It's unclear if Hughes is basing his assertion on more than Bell's Instagram stories, but nevertheless. Bell is smarting after a disastrous 2019 that saw him look like a shell of his former self behind the Jets' broken-down offensive line as coach Adam Gase leaked to anyone who would listen that he wanted to be rid of his highly-priced back. Neither Gase nor GM Joe Douglas did anything to tamp down the trade rumors this offseason. Bell, who will now be running behind a fortified line, will not be lacking for motivation, we just don't know if his 28-year-old body has anything left to offer after his monstrous early-career workloads. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jul 1, 2020, 9:38 PM ET

Jets coach Adam Gase said Le'Veon Bell is "extremely motivated" and is in "phenomenal shape."

Gase and Bell haven't exactly seen eye to eye, so the fact that Gase is this supportive of his back carries some weight. Gase also said Bell has "been working extremely hard and he looks really good." This lines up with The Athletic's Connor Hughes report that Bell has been "training like a mad man" this offseason. Bell needs to get back on track in 2020 after missing the 2018 season and then only averaging 3.2 yards per carry last year. The additions to the offensive line and Bell's offseason work outs suggest a bigger year could be in store for Bell, who is being viewed as a low-end RB2 in fantasy drafts. Bell projects for another 300 touches, but it may not matter much if the Jets offense doesn't improve in general.

SOURCE: Eric Allen on Twitter

Aug 5, 2020, 3:14 PM ET

Jets coach Adam Gase said Le'Veon Bell is "extremely motivated" and is in "phenomenal shape."

Gase and Bell haven't exactly seen eye to eye, so the fact that Gase is this supportive of his back carries some weight. Gase also said Bell has "been working extremely hard and he looks really good." This lines up with The Athletic's Connor Hughes report that Bell has been "training like a mad man" this offseason. Bell needs to get back on track in 2020 after missing the 2018 season and then only averaging 3.2 yards per carry last year. The additions to the offensive line and Bell's offseason work outs suggest a bigger year could be in store for Bell, who is being viewed as a low-end RB2 in fantasy drafts. Bell projects for another 300 touches, but it may not matter much if the Jets offense doesn't improve in general.

SOURCE: Eric Allen on Twitter

Aug 5, 2020, 3:14 PM ET
Gotta love the off-season talk.  

Le'Veon Bell said he wants to play at 210-215 pounds this season.

Reports surrounding Bell have all been extremely positive after a lackluster first season with the Jets. Bell said this is the lightest he's been since high school after taking his conditioning very seriously throughout the offseason. He's listed at 225 on Pro Football Reference, but everyone around Bell has noticed his slimmed-down physique. “I’m ready to show this is the best Le’Veon Bell that’s ever played in the NFL," he said Wednesday, admitting he "wasn't close" to being in top shape last year. The obvious focal point of coach Adam Gase's offense, Bell is coming off the board as the RB15 in half-PPR formats at the moment. He's a potential value in the third round.

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Aug 12, 2020, 12:44 PM ET

Jets adding Mekhi Becton was huge for Bell as well. Dropping that weight is awesome too. I'm a buyer in PPR at his ADP. 

ESPN's Rich Cimini reports the Jets' offensive "plan" is to lessen Le'Veon Bell's workload by utilizing Frank Gore.

In this scenario, Bell would average something similar to his 20.7 touches per game from last year but play fewer snaps to keep fresh. It's an unsurprising development since the 37-year-old, who previously led the Dolphins in both carries (156) and rushing yards (722) under Adam Gase, was signed to do much more than simply be a handcuff. There's enough concern about Gore's usage in short-yardage situations and passing downs that Bell, currently being drafted in the mid-fourth round, isn't valuable at that ADP in the slightest. 

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Aug 17, 2020, 3:49 PM ET

We don't want our best player to have the ball as much, so we are give to this 35 or 36 year old guy instead.

What a Gase thing to do.

Meanwhile, in Arizona they're vowing to find ways to get Drake the ball, another guy Gase would have Gore instead of. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night I did another FPC draft and really wanted to zag with my strategy a little bit and target a couple guys I hadn't snagged before. Bell and Hurd. Ugh. 

I liked the blurb about how much better shape Bell is in. I still think he is a good pick at 3.06. 

The Jets O-line can't possibly be WORSE than last year, but with all the turnover and the limited reps they're going to get as a group, I still dont' see them opening up a ton of great holes for Bell.

Add in the fact that teams are likely to stack the box (until the Jets prove that they can consistently attack downfield) and I dont like Bell's odds of getting off to a good start.

Could be a good buy-low candidate after a few weeks if the passing games shows a little promise.

Jets RB Le'Veon Bell on Twitter denied he had experienced hamstring tightness in practice. 

Bell insisted "ain't nothin wrong with my hamstrings" after a Jets beat writer tweeted that Bell had been held out for a portion of practice. Bell followed up with a tweet saying it's "tough to stay loose when you do a bunch of standing around" during what was, by all accounts, a disastrous Wednesday practice for the New York offense. Bell, who has lost weight and has looked impressive in training camp, is being drafted ahead of running backs like Jonathan Taylor, David Johnson, and Melvin Gordon. The volume should be there once again for Bell. It's only a matter of whether he can do anything with the opportunity. 

SOURCE: Le'Veon Bell on Twitter 

Aug 26, 2020, 11:59 AM ET

ESPN's Cameron Wolfe, who covered Adam Gase in Miami, said the Jets head coach "loves" Frank Gore and implied the veteran could split carries with RB Le'Veon Bell. 

Bell on Wednesday appeared unhappy about his practice usage while the Jets offense struggled mightily throughout. Wolfe chimed in on Twitter, saying he "wouldn’t be surprised if that backfield is split more than some Jets fans might want. Gore still has some gas in the tank and plays how Gase likes his backs — downhill, always moving forward, good vision and pass blocking."

https://twitter.com/CameronWolfe/status/1298659408352878599?s=20

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/teams/nyj/new-york-jets

The Athletic's Connor Hughes writes Frank Gore has been "the most productive back" at Jets training camp.

"I know Le’Veon Bell is the all-pro, highest-paid, big-play guy with the all-world reputation," Hughes writes, "but the Jets are getting far more production out of Gore. He receives the handoff, finds the hole, then gets through. That’s not the case with Bell."
https://twitter.com/Connor_J_Hughes/status/1299321053903302663

I'm so out on him.

Gase is looking for an excuse not to use him.  And now reports are that Gore is looking better.  I'll bet on Gase to keep Bell's fantasy value down this year.

The Jets have used a 60-40 backfield split between Le'Veon Bell and Frank Gore as head coach Adam Gase looks to keep Bell fresh for the entire season. 

Gase told ESPN he did a "poor job" managing Bell's early-season workload in 2019, when the veteran saw 99 touches in the Jets' first four games. He ended 2019 with 311 of the quietest touches in fantasy football history. Bell's third-round ADP is looking more unappealing all the time, though he should still see a good amount of receiving work as the Jets chase points in 2020. Gore is on track to have flex appeal in deeper leagues, as he has since the second Reagan administration. 

RELATED: 

Frank Gore

SOURCE: ESPN

Aug 29, 2020, 3:52 PM ET

Speaking Tuesday, Jets coach Adam Gase said he wanted to do a better job of utilizing Le'Veon Bell as a receiver. 

Considering the Jets' dire personnel and injury issues at wideout, this is Gase's way of admitting he has no choice. "I feel like we can find better ways to get him the ball to help him create more explosive plays," Gase said. "We can get him in space better than we did last year." Bell caught 66 passes in 2019, so it's not exactly like he was forgotten as a pass catcher. Most of Bell's camp reports have been negative, with one reporter going so far as to say he "looks slow." Gase has hinted at a meaningful role for Frank Gore. Bell is correctly being drafted in the low-end RB2 range. 

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter 

Sep 1, 2020, 1:09 PM ET

Jets head coach Adam Gase said his late-August issues with RB Le'Veon Bell were nothing more than a "miscommunication." 

Apparently Bell had experienced some hamstring tightness in practice, even though he denied it on social media. Bell believed he could continue practicing through the hamstring issue, but Gase held him out. It's just the latest conflict between Gase and the running back he never wanted. “I know how hard it is to believe that, but we actually like each other," Gase said of the hamstring issue. It is indeed hard to believe. 

SOURCE: Dennis Waszak, Jr. on Twitter 

Sep 3, 2020, 1:19 PM ET

Anyone else targeting Bell in the 4th round? At least in full PPR, I think he has a bounce back season and ends up at the top of the RB2s even flirting with RB1 level. 

He's going to catch so many passes this year.

In a 12 team FFPC PPR TE premium I just rostered him at 5.5.  Went Thomas, Hopkins, Golladay then David Johnson at 4.8.

Fell to 4.10 in my 1/2 PPR last night.  I already had 2 RB's and the WR ranks (at least in terms of guys I was even remotely comfortable relying on as a WR1 or high end WR2) were getting thin, otherwise I might have taken him at 4.8

I think Gase is terrible and I think Bell has certainly lost at least a step. But even with the worst O-line in the league last year, he was still RB17 last year.  They invested a lot in improving the line so I HAVE to believe he'll do better than 3.2 YPC. If he only got that number up to a miserable 3.7 and scored 7 TD's (as opposed to the pathetic 4 he got last year) and his receiving number stayed the same, he'd be somewhere around RB10-12.

Now, that all depends on volume staying the same, which obviously isn't a guarantee. Its clear that Gase didn't want him, so I could certainly see him using old Man Gore more than he should just for spite. And if Bell still stinks on a per-carry basis, doesn't get the full time goal line work AND doesn't get back closer to his former averages, his value goes in the tank pretty quick.

All that being said, getting him at the end of the 5th is just silly.

Fell to 4.10 in my 1/2 PPR last night.  I already had 2 RB's and the WR ranks (at least in terms of guys I was even remotely comfortable relying on as a WR1 or high end WR2) were getting thin, otherwise I might have taken him at 4.8

I think Gase is terrible and I think Bell has certainly lost at least a step. But even with the worst O-line in the league last year, he was still RB17 last year.  They invested a lot in improving the line so I HAVE to believe he'll do better than 3.2 YPC. If he only got that number up to a miserable 3.7 and scored 7 TD's (as opposed to the pathetic 4 he got last year) and his receiving number stayed the same, he'd be somewhere around RB10-12.

Now, that all depends on volume staying the same, which obviously isn't a guarantee. Its clear that Gase didn't want him, so I could certainly see him using old Man Gore more than he should just for spite. And if Bell still stinks on a per-carry basis, doesn't get the full time goal line work AND doesn't get back closer to his former averages, his value goes in the tank pretty quick.

All that being said, getting him at the end of the 5th is just silly.
I am starting to think Gase is gone by week 4.

Le'Veon Bell rushed six times for 14 yards in Sunday's game against the Bills, adding two receptions for 32 yards before departing with a hamstring injury. 

Bell initially injured his hamstring on a first half reception but attempted to play through it. He was then announced as doubtful to return late in the third quarter. He won't. Bell got the start, but Frank Gore emerged on series two. Bell also played that series, so it was not a rotation. Bell was predictably stuck in neutral against the Bills' dominant front seven. It is too early to make any sweeping 2020 conclusions, but there is also nothing good to say. Bell should be considered highly questionable for Week 2 against the 49ers. 

- Rotoworld

Users who are viewing this thread