What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (3 Viewers)

bell became first steeler rookie RB to run for two TDs in a game since bam morris in '94.

* as to people speaking about themselves in the third person...

bob doesn't like that! :)

I've got Bell in most of my leagues, so obviously I'm rooting for the guy, and it was great to see him get so much work and all the goaline touches, but is anyone else concerned with the below average YPC against one of the league's worst run defenses?

Obviously, any workhorse back has value, but are the lion's share of the rushes and goaline touches going to be THAT valuable on a team that has been falling behind and abandoning the run quickly and had few goaline opportunities? I could see lots of 14-40 games with no touchdowns when those goaline plays don't come around.

I've got Bell in most of my leagues, so obviously I'm rooting for the guy, and it was great to see him get so much work and all the goaline touches, but is anyone else concerned with the below average YPC against one of the league's worst run defenses?

Obviously, any workhorse back has value, but are the lion's share of the rushes and goaline touches going to be THAT valuable on a team that has been falling behind and abandoning the run quickly and had few goaline opportunities? I could see lots of 14-40 games with no touchdowns when those goaline plays don't come around.
See post #849 (I can't get it to link directly to htat post).

Difference with Bell compared to other RB's is that he'll be on field all 3 downs, and will get receptions if/when the Steelers fall behind.

I think that's a little overzealous and I personally value him somewhere in the range of RB 15-20, but let me play Devil's advocate. It's a small sample size, but in my PPR league he has a total of 33pts (16.5/game). If you use that as his average over the games he was unable to play, he would project to a total of 82.5pts over 6 weeks (5 weeks play, 1 bye). That would place him at RB #13 in my league, and of the RBs ahead of him in this hypothetical scenario, none of them have had their byes. If you give L. Bell an additional game at his 2-game average to equal their game total, then he would have 99pts--moving up to RB #10 in my league. Of course this projection has a serious flaw of sample size, but it may suggest he has the potential to be considered in the top 10-15 by someone bullish on him. It's not crazy.

somewhere in the range of RB 15-20,
yeah, that's perfectly reasonable. Roves rofl wasnt.

And you said PPR... I primarily play in non-pprs. ;)
Yeah, I agree with you. He definitely has 10-15 range possibility, especially if the projection is to be believed, and it isn't "rofl" crazy. There aren't many workhorse backs in the league, and the only guys I wouldn't even have to think twice about trading for L. Bell would be: (1) Charles, (2) AP, (3) Shady, (4) Lynch, (5) Foster, (6) Forte, (7) Bush, (8) Rice, (9) Gore, and (10) Moreno

There may be a few more guys not listed I would consider in PPR over him given the opportunity, but the ones above are the only ones I can see myself hitting the accept button without thinking much about it.

roflmao?

Can you list your 22+ or so higher rated RBs you have right now?
I'm sorry, but 10-15 is extremely optimistic. Maybe not laughable, but close. The problem is that the Steelers' line can't run block. That's not going away. Plus, we still don't know what kind of talent Bell is. It's nice that he's getting a few catches, but you need to be special to be productive behind this line as a runner and he's probably not.

So let's take into account likely productivity... say 4.0 ypc and 7.0 ypr? As for workload, he's probably going to get about 15 rushes and 2 receptions a game, right? A 16 game pace of 240/32.

Guys that are head and shoulders above him in no particular order (12):

Foster

Peterson

Charles

McCoy

Lynch

Moreno

Bush

Forte

Gore

Lacy

Morris

Martin

One tier above Bell (5):

Bernard

Sproles

Spiller

FJax

MJD

Guys that are struggling and/or injured but have similar if not better upside (6):

SJax

McFadden

Ridley

Chris Johnson

Trent Richardson

Murray

Same or just a step below:

Lamar Miller

DeAngelo

Stacy

Powell

Mathews

Woodhead

BJGE

Ellington

Sadly, I think Stacy is probably the best comparison to Bell. I know Pit fans and fantasy owners would like to get excited about Bell, but if you're realistic then you've got to admit their situations are similar. Both will get about 16-20 touches a week behind a bad offensive line. Solid, but unspectacular. Best suited as a flex. Neither is going to sniff RB10-15 numbers.

No idea how you can out MJD ahead of Bell at this point.
I was strictly speaking about the rest of the season, not long-term. I didn't give it a lot of thought, but I do expect MJD to have a larger workload than Bell. It's not a huge disparity between the two. Do you honestly think Bell will outproduce him?

roflmao?

Gore-AGREED

Lynch-AGREED

Sproles-He's averaged 10.3 touches/game, with a high of 14

ADP-AGREED

Lacy-AGREED

RBush-AGREED

Forte-AGREED

Morrris-Doesn't get many receptions; agree in non-PPR, it's closer in PPR though

DeMarco-Agreed, if he's okay with his knee

McCoy-AGREED

Moreno-AGREED

Charles-AGREED

Bernard-AGREED, although the presence of BJGE makes it closer

CJ0K-DISAGREE

TRich-DISAGREE

Foster-AGREED

FJax-DISAGREE; I WOULD HAVE THESE TWO IN THE SAME TIER, BUT BELL HAS NO COMPETITION, WHILE FJAX HAS SPILLER

Ridley-DISAGREE, WHEN VEREEN COMES BACK (FF PLAYOFFS) RIDLEY WILL HAVE TOO MUCH COMPETITION

DeAngelo-DISAGREE, DOESN'T SCORE, HAS TOLBERT TAKING TOUCHES ALREADY, & WHEN STEWART COMES BACK (FF PLAYOFFS) DWILL WILL HAVE TOO MUCH COMPETITION

McFadden-DISAGREE; HE HAS A MUCH LONGER HISTORY OF INJURY & I FIND IT HARD TO RELY ON HIM

Ray Rice-AGREED

Doug Martin-AGREED

in PPR: Woodhead, J Bell-I LIKE BOTH AS A RB3/FLEX PLAY, BUT IF I NEED A RB2 TO RELY ON FOR CONSISTENT TOUCHES, I WANT THE GUY WHO IS A 3-DOWN BACK
Bell is value because he is a 3-down back, not because he plays on an offensive juggernaut, or because he is the best RB on the planet. I'd have him in the mid-high RB2 range.

roflmao?

Gore-AGREED

Lynch-AGREED

ADP-AGREED

Lacy-AGREED

RBush-AGREED

Forte-AGREED

Morrris-Doesn't get many receptions; agree in non-PPR, it's closer in PPR though

McCoy-AGREED

Moreno-AGREED

Charles-AGREED

CJ0K-DISAGREE

TRich-DISAGREE

Foster-AGREED

FJax-DISAGREE; I WOULD HAVE THESE TWO IN THE SAME TIER, BUT BELL HAS NO COMPETITION, WHILE FJAX HAS SPILLER

Ridley-DISAGREE, WHEN VEREEN COMES BACK (FF PLAYOFFS) RIDLEY WILL HAVE TOO MUCH COMPETITION

DeAngelo-DISAGREE, DOESN'T SCORE, HAS TOLBERT TAKING TOUCHES ALREADY, & WHEN STEWART COMES BACK (FF PLAYOFFS) DWILL WILL HAVE TOO MUCH COMPETITION

McFadden-DISAGREE; HE HAS A MUCH LONGER HISTORY OF INJURY & I FIND IT HARD TO RELY ON HIM

Ray Rice-AGREED

Doug Martin-AGREED

in PPR: Woodhead, J Bell-I LIKE BOTH AS A RB3/FLEX PLAY, BUT IF I NEED A RB2 TO RELY ON FOR CONSISTENT TOUCHES, I WANT THE GUY WHO IS A 3-DOWN BACK
Bell is value because he is a 3-down back, not because he plays on an offensive juggernaut, or because he is the best RB on the planet. I'd have him in the mid-high RB2 range.
touches don't necessarily translate when the team stinks, the O-line stinks and there isn't a to of scoring opps.

Sproles will score more points on 10.3 touches than Bell would on 20.6...

roflmao?

Gore-AGREED

Lynch-AGREED

ADP-AGREED

Lacy-AGREED

RBush-AGREED

Forte-AGREED

McCoy-AGREED

Moreno-AGREED

Charles-AGREED

CJ0K-DISAGREE

TRich-DISAGREE

Foster-AGREED

Ray Rice-AGREED

Doug Martin-AGREED

Weird that you used red for agree and green for disagree.

You agreed with 14 players, and you disagreed on Sproles, who will get maybe 7 less touches, but is still averaging 80 yards per game. Morris who is averaging 15 touches and over 5 ypc. Chris Johnson who is getting at least as many touches as Bell and is more talented. Trent Richardson who is in at least as good of a situation as Bell with similar touches. Ridley who will get as many touches as Bell on a better offense and with more ypc. McFadden who will easily outscore Bell while healthy.

I think Fred Jackson and Spiller both get about as many touches as Bell (they are both averaging 16), so they have to be considered very similar values for the rest of the year. MJD will get more touches than Bell. Is Steven Jackson dead to everyone? He could be an RB1 when he returns. I still think Stacy = Bell.

I just don't see the case to be made for a high RB2 valuation. 10-15 is a joke. 15-20 is a stretch. 20-25 is probable. 25-30 is not unrealistic if he can't find the end zone often.

why does everybody keep saying his remaining schedule is so tough? doesn't looks so daunting to me.

The problem for Bell is going to be dismal offensive line, and being part of a rotation. He is not going to get 15+ carries per game, and will split time with Felix and Dwyer.

The problem for Bell is going to be dismal offensive line, and being part of a rotation. He is not going to get 15+ carries per game, and will split time with Felix and Dwyer.
Except in the two games he's played, he's gotten 16 carries each game (plus 4 and 3 receptions).

In the two games he's played, he's gotten 73% of the carries.

roflmao?

Gore-AGREED

Lynch-AGREED

ADP-AGREED

Lacy-AGREED

RBush-AGREED

Forte-AGREED

McCoy-AGREED

Moreno-AGREED

Charles-AGREED

CJ0K-DISAGREE

TRich-DISAGREE

Foster-AGREED

Ray Rice-AGREED

Doug Martin-AGREED

Weird that you used red for agree and green for disagree.

You agreed with 14 players, and you disagreed on Sproles, who will get maybe 7 less touches, but is still averaging 80 yards per game. Morris who is averaging 15 touches and over 5 ypc. Chris Johnson who is getting at least as many touches as Bell and is more talented. Trent Richardson who is in at least as good of a situation as Bell with similar touches. Ridley who will get as many touches as Bell on a better offense and with more ypc. McFadden who will easily outscore Bell while healthy.

I think Fred Jackson and Spiller both get about as many touches as Bell (they are both averaging 16), so they have to be considered very similar values for the rest of the year. MJD will get more touches than Bell. Is Steven Jackson dead to everyone? He could be an RB1 when he returns. I still think Stacy = Bell.

I just don't see the case to be made for a high RB2 valuation. 10-15 is a joke. 15-20 is a stretch. 20-25 is probable. 25-30 is not unrealistic if he can't find the end zone often.
Yeah, don't know why I did that. By the time I realized it, I didn't feel like changing the colors.

Saying Sproles averages 80 yards/game is a little mis-leading. Technically, it's true, but he's only hit 80 yard/game in 2 of the 6 Saints games. The fact is that he's going to get 10-15 touches, but if he's getting 10-15 touches, and Bell is getting 18-20 touches, I'm going to feel more comfortable with the guy who gets more touches.

With Morris, I originally dis-agreed, (that's why it's green), but I changed it to agreeing with you, unless you are talking about PPR, in which case, I'd prefer Bell.

With regards to Chris Johnson, he may have been more talented, but he's not CJ2K anymore. Based on what he's done this year, and what I expect him to do the rest of the year, I'd prefer Bell. It doesn't matter what Johnson was able to do in the past, it's what he is doing & will do this year.

Trent Richardson is getting pulled in passing situations, is averaging 3.1 YPC, and doesn't look impressive to me. I may be wrong on this, but based on what I've seen from him over the past 20 NFL games, I'm not impressive, & I'd prefer Bell.

Why do you think Ridley will get as many touches as Bell? He's played 5 games this year, and he has 19 touches in 1. Bell has played 2 games and has 19 touches in both. When Vereen comes back, Ridley is going to have to share touches with him. Plus, we have seen how quick BB is to bench Ridley for fumbles. I prefer Bell.

McFadden should outscore Bell IF healthy. But, IF my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle. McFadden doesn't have a history which makes me feel safe expecting him to stay healthy.

10-15 isn't a joke. It's the best case scenario, IMO, but it's not a joke. Add Morris into the equation, and you have 15 RBs who I feel will be ahead of Bell. Al that needs to happen is one of them to stumble, and he could jump into that top 15. With regards to the other guys you mentioned, they could finish ahead of Bell, but I don't think so. Just because you don't agree with someone's opinion doesn't make it a "joke."

Rotoworld:

Coach Mike Tomlin said he was pleased with Le'Veon Bell's Week 6 performance.
Bell's box score was ugly as he rushed 16 times for just 34 yards, but he was up against a very stout Jets' run defense that ranks second in the NFL. I thought he ran very well," Tomlin said. "They've got some talented people up front. There weren't many holes." Bell's stranglehold on the every-down role is not loosening heading into a tough Week 7 matchup with against the Ravens.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Okay, I was on sportsline & I saw this:

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/story/24122161/week-8-fantasy-trade-value-chart

According to that article, the writer would consider "buying low" on Bell to get RGIII or Julius Thomas straight up, but giving Fitzgerald for him would be "a steep price to pay for Bell?"

I have Bell and don't intend to trade him, but if I needed a QB, I'd be very happy to get RGIII back. Same with Thomas, if I needed a TE. No way would I want to trade him for Fitzgerald, if I needed a WR.

Are these legitimately "fair" trades, or is this article as off as I think it is?

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/story/24122161/week-8-fantasy-trade-value-chart

According to that article, the writer would consider "buying low" on Bell to get RGIII or Julius Thomas straight up, but giving Fitzgerald for him would be "a steep price to pay for Bell?"

I have Bell and don't intend to trade him, but if I needed a QB, I'd be very happy to get RGIII back. Same with Thomas, if I needed a TE. No way would I want to trade him for Fitzgerald, if I needed a WR.

Are these legitimately "fair" trades, or is this article as off as I think it is?
Agreed. I wouldn't accept Fitz for him at this point, but I don't see either RG3 or Julius Thomas as surefire "fair" trades, but it would depend on your roster and needs. I think you're right in that Fitz seems the one to jump out at you though. I view him as a WR3 in any format right now.

Agreed. I wouldn't accept Fitz for him at this point, but I don't see either RG3 or Julius Thomas as surefire "fair" trades, but it would depend on your roster and needs. I think you're right in that Fitz seems the one to jump out at you though. I view him as a WR3 in any format right now.
Someone offered me L Bell for Mike Williams straight up. I snapped called. :fleeced:

If you could get RGIII or Julius Thomas, I would trade Bell in a heartbeat. I would not do Fitz for Bell.

Over at FFToday, their free Rest of the Way Rankings....

1 Jamaal Charles KC 10

2 Marshawn Lynch SEA 12

3 Adrian Peterson MIN 5

4 LeSean McCoy PHI 12

Tier 2

5 Matt Forte CHI 8

6 Reggie Bush DET 9

7 Frank Gore SF 9

8 Eddie Lacy GB 4

9 Knowshon Moreno DEN 9

10 Le'Veon Bell PIT 5

11 Alfred Morris WAS 5

12 Giovani Bernard CIN 12

Tier 3

13 Ray Rice BAL 8

14 Arian Foster HOU 8

15 Fred Jackson BUF 12

16 Darren Sproles NO 7

17 Chris Johnson TEN 8

18 DeMarco Murray DAL 11

19 Trent Richardson IND 8

20 Maurice Jones-Drew JAC 9

;)

Averaging only 3 targets per game since he came back? Any hope that he becomes more involved in the passing game moving forward?

I would never trade a guy like Bell for a skeletor RB...even Morris. Skeletor cannot be trusted.

I would never trade a guy like Bell for a skeletor RB...even Morris. Skeletor cannot be trusted.
But the fact is that Morris still seems to be the guy in DC, and he is running for a good average. They've been down big in a few games (1 and 2, especially), which takes him out of the gameplan. If Griffin is doing well, that gives them a better chance of staying in games, which would allow him to accumulate more carries.

But the fact is that Morris still seems to be the guy in DC, and he is running for a good average. They've been down big in a few games (1 and 2, especially), which takes him out of the gameplan. If Griffin is doing well, that gives them a better chance of staying in games, which would allow him to accumulate more carries.
Skins fan here. In a keeper league, this is a no brainer for several reasons. Keep Bell. Even in redraft, Bell is the pick.

1) I don't see Morris remaining a Skin beyond his rookie contract as the team won't pay big money to a RB when Shanahan can find someone off the street and plug him in.

2) Morris is completely one-dimensonial as he is useless in the passing game. Bell appears to extremely valuable in the passing game.

3) Roy Helu is the most talented RB in Washington. He is about as good of a runner (less power, more explosion) and a great receiver (14 rec/100 yd game vs. SF 2 seasons ago).

4) Washington's defense is HORRIBLE with probably the worst secondary in football and it is going to take several seasons to correct it. Which means, more shootouts = Helu in the backfield.

5) I would personally never trade a 3-down RB (which there is only a handful of in the NFL) for a 2-down RB that is already losing GL carries.

Skins fan here. In a keeper league, this is a no brainer for several reasons. Keep Bell. Even in redraft, Bell is the pick.

1) I don't see Morris remaining a Skin beyond his rookie contract as the team won't pay big money to a RB when Shanahan can find someone off the street and plug him in.

2) Morris is completely one-dimensonial as he is useless in the passing game. Bell appears to extremely valuable in the passing game.

3) Roy Helu is the most talented RB in Washington. He is about as good of a runner (less power, more explosion) and a great receiver (14 rec/100 yd game vs. SF 2 seasons ago).

4) Washington's defense is HORRIBLE with probably the worst secondary in football and it is going to take several seasons to correct it. Which means, more shootouts = Helu in the backfield.

5) I would personally never trade a 3-down RB (which there is only a handful of in the NFL) for a 2-down RB that is already losing GL carries.
Those are good points; I'll probably stick with Bell.

Those are good points; I'll probably stick with Bell.
I own both in one league. I would never trade Bell for Morris. Morris is nice to have, but Bell is a gem. Sure it needs a little polishing, particularly after missing so much of preseason and the early part of the regular season, but a gem none the less.

You guys are way off on Morris. He's a far better back than Helu. Helu is a great change of pace back, but he's not built to carry the load and move the pile like Morris.

Is Bell a must start in a PPR League this week against Oak? He is high up there on a lot of rankings - Either him or Julius Thomas has to ride the pine... Great problem to have, but I don't want him on the bench if he goes over 100 and has 2 tds.

I have both Morris and Bell and am leaning towards starting Bell this week. I think he is a legitimate top 10 back this week

Although Pittsburgh stinks to high heaven this season, I'm very encouraged by the running I've seen from Bell. He's got great balance, keeping his feet when getting knocked around on the inside and outside, he's catching pretty well, and they're feeding him the ball as the bellcow. It's the best I could have hoped for this season on this poor a team. For redraft this year he looks to be a good RB2 or Flex play for the second half of the season.

Rotoworld:

Le'Veon Bell rushed 16 times for 73 yards and one touchdown and caught seven passes for 63 yards in Thursday night's Week 13, 22-20 loss to the Ravens.

Bell was the best player on the field in this one. He had a second rushing touchdown taken off the board in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter because his helmet popped off when he was at the one-yard line. The new rule signals the end of the play no matter what. On that play, Bell and Jimmy Smith were involved in a vicious collision. Bell was knocked out on the play and had to be helped off the field and guided to the locker room. It ended a fine performance. Bell's two big gains were a 43-yard run to set up an Emmanuel Sanders touchdown and a 29-yard catch-and-run on a screen play to set up Jerricho Cotchery's one-yard score. Bell was definitely woozy but will have ten days to rest up for Pittsburgh's Week 14 date with the Dolphins.

Users who are viewing this thread