What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (13 Viewers)

Seems like Bell is being pretty overrated here.  RB1??  WTF??  Using that term a bit loosely are we?

He is a shell of what he was.  Sorry to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not anymore it isn't, right?  That contract is basically terminated.

The Jets aren't going to be on the hook for $8M if he gets hurt playing for another team after they released him.
Yes now it is. That’s why he was released - but that’s what made him difficult to trade.

Hypothetically, if KC gets rollin, and he's the lead back, he could put up pretty big numbers.....I think thats all anyone is saying.....and looking around at the fantasy wasteland that is RB he's a worth a shot

The reality is CEH hasn't been able to execute on short yardage, and he's not been a factor in the passing game......Darrel Williams is a JAG.

I hear people say Bell is a shell of his former self......is he really though?  Isn't he like 28?  

We know he was misused by Gase, and the jets are the worst franchise in the NFL.

I'm sure he's not as explosive as he was his first few seasons at Pitt.........but I also doubt he's completely washed up, and his skillset fits what KC does perfectly.....he's a big target for Mahomes......and again, if they start moving the ball at will again, he's going to get plenty of redzone looks.....the opportunity is there on a good offense.

CEH is averaging 4.2 ypc, is a liability in pass protection,  and bad in short yardage situations. He has done nothing that will hold Bell back if he is remotely his old self. Is he? Who knows, but I think he probably is. He isn't that old, even for a RB. When you see a RB slow way down at his age, it is normally a mileage or injury issue, not an age issue.

He isn't that old, even for a RB. When you see a RB slow way down at his age, it is normally a mileage or injury issue, not an age issue.
You also dont normally see a RB drop from 5ypc to 4, sit out an entire season after that for a huge deal, GET that huge deal from a stupid GM, then go for 3ypc and now 2ypc, and then shine. 

There is no "normal" with Bell here

It’s fun to speculate in fantasy football.  It’s fun to think about upside like in this case.

I still say most likely outcome is CEH is reduced to a RB2 ceiling with 60% of the touches and Bell is a RB3 with an occasional “breakout game”.

Want precedent and ceilings?  Look at Damien Williams numbers including touches in the offense last year when he was the starter.

This is starting to remind me of the good old days with the Christine Michael upside debate!

I will say that Bell's value did not go DOWN from where it was several weeks ago.

Still not worth a 1st.  I would give a 2nd if I needed a RB

Not anymore it isn't, right?  That contract is basically terminated.

The Jets aren't going to be on the hook for $8M if he gets hurt playing for another team after they released him.
Yes, i would assume his last contract is ended.  But the guarantee mentioned above would be why a team wouldn't trade for him, because then they would pick up that contract as written.  Once he was cut then you negotiate your own contract with him, which is what the Chiefs did.

The reality is CEH hasn't been able to execute on short yardage, and he's not been a factor in the passing game......Darrel Williams is a JAG.

We know he was misused by Gase, and the jets are the worst franchise in the NFL.
If I were KC and had CEH under their control on a miniscule contract I would be using Bell for all the receiving and short yardage work. KC should breeze into the playoffs so they should just keep CEH healthy and avoid the wear and tear on him.

I am no fan of Bell but he will look night and day different in that offense. Plus you have the lotto factor if CEH does get an injury. Bell, or most solid backs, could be a top 3 RB in that offense if they got most of the work.

If I were KC and had CEH under their control on a miniscule contract I would be using Bell for all the receiving and short yardage work. KC should breeze into the playoffs so they should just keep CEH healthy and avoid the wear and tear on him.

I am no fan of Bell but he will look night and day different in that offense. Plus you have the lotto factor if CEH does get an injury. Bell, or most solid backs, could be a top 3 RB in that offense if they got most of the work.
What does that make CEH? 

He isn't that old, even for a RB. When you see a RB slow way down at his age, it is normally a mileage or injury issue, not an age issue.
You also dont normally see a RB drop from 5ypc to 4, sit out an entire season after that for a huge deal, GET that huge deal from a stupid GM, then go for 3ypc and now 2ypc, and then shine. 
Regardless of the holdout and the contract, how many RBs have gone from 5 to 4 to 3 YPC........and then rebounded to become productive starters?

Regardless of the holdout and the contract, how many RBs have gone from 5 to 4 to 3 YPC........and then rebounded to become productive starters?
To be fair he did go from a good offense to a trash offense back to a good offense.

He will volume for really good numbers.  Will he get it?  Probably not

The guy that leads KC in rushing yards during the season and probably three down duty in the playoffs when it really counts. 
Just checking. Apparently any solid back that gets the majority of the carries is a top 3 back... CEH is RB20 ppg

Just checking. Apparently any solid back that gets the majority of the carries is a top 3 back... CEH is RB20 ppg
According to FBG scoring he is RB17. As I have already said, I am not a Bell fan but based on how we've seen his perform in a top NFL offense in the past IF CEH got hurt I absolutely think Bell "COULD" be a top 3 back. It doesn't seem all that controversial opinion to me.

Are you saying that there is no way that Bell "COULD" be a top 3 back in the KC offense if CEH were to get injured and was out of the picture? That seems like a more controversial statement to me.

According to FBG scoring he is RB17. As I have already said, I am not a Bell fan but based on how we've seen his perform in a top NFL offense in the past IF CEH got hurt I absolutely think Bell "COULD" be a top 3 back. It doesn't seem all that controversial opinion to me.

Are you saying that there is no way that Bell "COULD" be a top 3 back in the KC offense if CEH were to get injured and was out of the picture? That seems like a more controversial statement to me.
No I’m just surprised that CEH isn’t a top 3 back based on how confident you are. He’s gotten the vast majority of the action from the backfield this season

Rotoworld:

Speaking Wednesday, coach Andy Reid said he wasn't sure if Le'Veon Bell will even be active for Week 7 against the Broncos.

It would be good news for Clyde Edwards-Helaire's fantasy prospects with the Chiefs as heavy 10.5-point road favorites. CEH is coming off a 161-yard rushing effort against Buffalo and might be able to squeak out one more lock-and-load RB1 week out of things if Bell is unable to pick up the offense in time to play Sunday. Reid said Bell's Week 7 status will all depend on how comfortable he is with the playbook.

RELATED: 

Clyde Edwards-Helaire

SOURCE: Zac Stevens on Twitter

Oct 21, 2020, 1:08 PM ET

My guess is Reid is not going to tip his cap in regards to a new addition. Can't imagine Bell isn't active this week if only as a third-string option or as an additional receiving threat. 

My guess is Reid is not going to tip his cap in regards to a new addition. Can't imagine Bell isn't active this week if only as a third-string option or as an additional receiving threat. 
Exactly. Reid has no reason to change the mindset of the next DC he faces. Everything on film is the rookie.

• Smile
Reactions: ATB
steelwind said:
I think Bell will be active and play limited 3rd down snaps.  Won't be a major factor this week.  However, next week vs Jets I think his role will expand.
I've seen it before. New team sets up extra touches vs player's old team.

The weather at Den expects 5-9 inch of snow.  If Bell is active, it might be a run heavy game plan for KC.  CEH and Bell  could be very busy this week.

Interestingly, it could be the CEH/Bell vs Gordon/Lindsey show.

• Smile
Reactions: ATB
The weather at Den expects 5-9 inch of snow.  If Bell is active, it might be a run heavy game plan for KC.  CEH and Bell  could be very busy this week.

Interestingly, it could be the CEH/Bell vs Gordon/Lindsey show.
I like the bigger back in the weather scenario. So both Bell and Gordon. A shiftier, smaller back should be less effective in slow, slick conditions. 

I don't think CEH is a complete bust.  He's just not returning the first round value RB1 that many thought he would.

Back to Bell.  I get the notion many are calling to sell.  I think he is a hold, no matter how they use him.  We now have a clear picture of who the handcuff is.  If something were to happen to CEH, and keep in mind he is a rookie they tend to break down (think Josh Jacobs last year), Bell would be RB1 given his all around talent.

Saw Bell get traded straight up for Hockenson this week.  The previous Hock owner made the move because he also had Kelce and Waller and not much for RBs. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that Chiefs RB Le'Veon Bell is expected to make his "debut" in Week 7 against the Broncos.

Rapoport said, "we will see the debut" of Bell today, obviously implying that he will be active despite a quote from head coach Andy Reid earlier in the week casting some doubt onto Bell's Week 7 status. He added that Bell has been staying late to learn the Kansas City playbook. Bell will still play a limited role in the offense with Clyde Edwards-Helaire expected to see the bulk of the work for now. The biggest threat to CEH will be Bell's prowess as a receiver out of the backfield. Bell could push CEH into RB2 territory if he takes away targets from the Chiefs' first-round selection.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 25, 2020, 9:44 AM ET

Anybody gonna roll the dice and start him in a flex spot today? I have to with Crowder now out. Wonder how many touches can we realistically expect for him to get today. 

Chiefs RB Le'Veon Bell is active for Week 7 against the Broncos. 

Bell should be ready to rock as Clyde Edwards-Helaire's change-of-pace back, likely immediately seeing work in short-yardage/goal-line situations. Then we will take it from there for Week 8 and beyond. CEH is a high-end RB2 for Week 7, with Bell a low-ceiling FLEX. Inactive for the Chiefs are WR Sammy Watkins, RB Darwin Thompson, LB Darius Harris, RT Mitchell Schwartz, TE Ricky Seals-Jones and DE Taco Charlton. 

Oct 25, 2020, 3:04 PM ET

Le'Veon Bell rushed six times for 39 yards in the Chiefs' Week 7 win over the Broncos. 

Bell was not targeted in the passing game. It was an inconclusive Chiefs debut for the 28-year-old back, as Kansas City scored defensive and special teams touchdowns in a 43-16 victory where they ran only 51 offensive plays. Clyde Edwards-Helaire out-touched Bell by a modest 9-6 margin. The limited work is the limited work, but Bell's 6.5 yards per carry were 1.9 yards more than he managed in either of his 2020 appearances as a Jet. Neither Bell nor CEH handled a true goal-line carry, though both got a tote inside the 10. CEH's touchdown was an 11-yarder. The rookie also dropped another potential score. Rather amazingly, Bell now gets to face the Jets for Week 8. CEH will be the touch favorite, but Bell will be a viable FLEX in the #RevengeGame to end all revenge games for 2020. 

Oct 25, 2020, 7:24 PM ET

PREVIOUSNEXT

Bell looks like he lost some quickness.

I'd be a little relieved if I was a CEH owner (not that Bell won't take away production).

CEH is starting to look really good. Remember, the rooks didn't get near the developmental time (offseason) they normally do.

I'd be a little relieved if I was a CEH owner (not that Bell won't take away production).

CEH is starting to look really good. Remember, the rooks didn't get near the developmental time (offseason) they normally do.
6.5 yds per carry in limited work...

Dude, it was snowing and it was his first game. I'm s CEH owner and I'm still plenty worried, especially with the dropped TD.

eye ball test....I thought he looked really good for the first game and is a solid addition in real football......fantasy wise your guess is as good as mine.....obviously not an RB1 or 2 without injury and a tough flex call until we see more.....wasn't sure if I would like the fit....but looks promising in real football...

Users who are viewing this thread