Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Eminence

Le'Veon Bell

Anybody gonna roll the dice and start him in a flex spot today? I have to with Crowder now out. Wonder how many touches can we realistically expect for him to get today. 

very interested in his role today.  I’m a big Clyde fan, but Le’Veon of old could take this O to another level.

Chiefs RB Le'Veon Bell is active for Week 7 against the Broncos. 

Bell should be ready to rock as Clyde Edwards-Helaire's change-of-pace back, likely immediately seeing work in short-yardage/goal-line situations. Then we will take it from there for Week 8 and beyond. CEH is a high-end RB2 for Week 7, with Bell a low-ceiling FLEX. Inactive for the Chiefs are WR Sammy Watkins, RB Darwin Thompson, LB Darius Harris, RT Mitchell Schwartz, TE Ricky Seals-Jones and DE Taco Charlton. 

Oct 25, 2020, 3:04 PM ET

Le'Veon Bell rushed six times for 39 yards in the Chiefs' Week 7 win over the Broncos. 

Bell was not targeted in the passing game. It was an inconclusive Chiefs debut for the 28-year-old back, as Kansas City scored defensive and special teams touchdowns in a 43-16 victory where they ran only 51 offensive plays. Clyde Edwards-Helaire out-touched Bell by a modest 9-6 margin. The limited work is the limited work, but Bell's 6.5 yards per carry were 1.9 yards more than he managed in either of his 2020 appearances as a Jet. Neither Bell nor CEH handled a true goal-line carry, though both got a tote inside the 10. CEH's touchdown was an 11-yarder. The rookie also dropped another potential score. Rather amazingly, Bell now gets to face the Jets for Week 8. CEH will be the touch favorite, but Bell will be a viable FLEX in the #RevengeGame to end all revenge games for 2020. 

Oct 25, 2020, 7:24 PM ET

PREVIOUSNEXT

Bell looks like he lost some quickness.

I'd be a little relieved if I was a CEH owner (not that Bell won't take away production).

CEH is starting to look really good. Remember, the rooks didn't get near the developmental time (offseason) they normally do.

Edited by Football Jones

5 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

I'd be a little relieved if I was a CEH owner (not that Bell won't take away production).

CEH is starting to look really good. Remember, the rooks didn't get near the developmental time (offseason) they normally do.

6.5 yds per carry in limited work...

Just now, Ministry of Pain said:

6.5 yds per carry in limited work...

Yep.

It still remains to be seen how Bell will be used, but CEH is going to be hard to dethrone (& is getting better).

17 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

Dude, it was snowing and it was his first game. I'm s CEH owner and I'm still plenty worried, especially with the dropped TD.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deranged Hermit said:

Dude, it was snowing and it was his first game. I'm s CEH owner and I'm still plenty worried, especially with the dropped TD.

We all know it was his first game.

This isn't the Bell of old, though. 

eye ball test....I thought he looked really good for the first game and is a solid addition in real football......fantasy wise your guess is as good as mine.....obviously not an RB1 or 2 without injury and a tough flex call until we see more.....wasn't sure if I would like the fit....but looks promising in real football...

I have no choice but to start him this coming week.

Hoping the Jets revenge game narrative becomes reality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

I have no choice but to start him this coming week.

This would seem to be the spot to give him a shot. I'm glad he at least got a few carries in to knock the rust off.

The line is a ridiculous -19 1/2 in favor of KC down from -21.  Not sure if it will mean more workload for Bell.

2 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

I think it's a good game script for him because they should easily build a lead and have plenty of chances to work him in but can we really call it a revenge game? I guess that has more ring to it then  calling it a "something to prove" game but I'm thinking he should be thankful to the Jets organization for the rest of his life.

• Like 1

Traded Bell for Gurley  today. i needed a rb that I could plug and play every week and the Gurley owner could afford to take the gamble on Bell. This could go very well or very bad for me.

• Like 1

Have him in e leagues, starting him in one. Would love to see him blow up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ffmail4me said:

Well you'd think if there is ever a game Bell is going to go off, it would be this one 

Exactly. 

1 hour ago, ffmail4me said:

Well you'd think if there is ever a game Bell is going to go off, it would be this one 

I think it really depends if he is up to speed with the offense yet or not or needs more time practicing and learning the playbook first.  

Maybe he gets a couple extra snaps, but I doubt Reid is going to have any focus on giving him a revenge game and won't use him more than he is comfortable with yet (and I have no idea what the comfort level is).  If anything, I'd expect him to have bigger games as the season goes on as both the team and him become more comfortable with each other.  It's probably easiest for a RB to get up to speed than other positions, so I'm not sure how long that takes, but it will be interesting to see. 

I thought he looked good in his few carries last week. 

Edited by GreenNGold

2 hours ago, foxco said:

Have him in e leagues, starting him in one. Would love to see him blow up.

does E stand for Eighteen?  I'd start him in more than 1/18.

2 hours ago, Deranged Hermit said:

Traded Bell for Gurley  today. i needed a rb that I could plug and play every week and the Gurley owner could afford to take the gamble on Bell. This could go very well or very bad for me.

Feels like a pretty solid trade.  Low floor/High ceiling for high floor/low ceiling.   I'd take the clear RB1 in a good-ish of late offense vs the Rb1B-at-best in KC.

3 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Feels like a pretty solid trade.  Low floor/High ceiling for high floor/low ceiling.   I'd take the clear RB1 in a good-ish of late offense vs the Rb1B-at-best in KC.

That's what I figured. This is a 14 team league so I'm banking  on the sure starter. Barring injury, I can't see Gurley not producing week in and week out. Bell I can see as being more streaky.

The Le’Veon Bell revenge game could get ugly for Adam Gase’s Jets

On Sunday, Le’Veon Bell will face his former team, the New York Jets. While Bell hasn’t spoken to Kansas City media this week, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know he’ll be fired up for this one.

For starters, Bell, who was released by the winless Jets a few weeks ago, went out of his way to land on a team that would face his former team within weeks of his signing. Amid reports that Jets coach Adam Gase never wanted Bell, who signed with New York as a big-money free agent in March 2019, it’s the perfect opportunity to avenge the lack of respect Gase showed him.

Let’s be very clear: That was his experience in New York. It’s not like Bell is an old man. He’s 28. Yet, Gase never adequately catered the offense to his strengths, and the desperate Jets released him midseason. It was a slap in the face, even if Gase wouldn’t say he expects Bell to be fired up for this one.

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure that he’s going to be worried about just winning a game, period,” Gase told reporters Thursday.

Problem is, kicking the Jets’ tails would go hand-in-hand with getting his revenge.

“I know he’s going to be hyped up — he’s supposed to,” said Jets running back Frank Gore, who has played for five different NFL teams and knows what it’s like to face an ex-squad. “Like you said, they just released him a couple weeks ago and he gets an opportunity to show that he still can play. I feel like he still can play.”

Former All-Pro running back Brian Westbrook agrees. Like Gore, he knows from experience. Westbrook starred for current Chiefs coach Andy Reid’s Philadelphia Eagles teams for eight seasons before facing his old squad in 2010 as a member of the San Francisco 49ers.

“It was almost like, ‘I don’t need to study this week — I just need to go out there and play,’” said Westbrook, who spoke to Yahoo Sports on behalf of Crown Royal’s purple bag project. “I was ready to play, I was excited to beat Andy and the guys that I played against for a long time and just hit them and be hit by them. It was a cool feeling for me, something that kind of gets your juices flowing and gets you excited when gameday comes around.”

Westbrook also offered the important caveat that he played for the Eagles far longer than Bell played for the Jets, so Bell doesn’t have the same attachment to the Jets that Westbrook had for the Eagles.

“I think if the Chiefs played the Steelers, he’d probably feel it a little bit more,” Westbrook said. “But he did play for the Jets, nonetheless.”

Which means Bell is set to go off for Kansas City, Westbrook said, not just this week — but beyond, too.

Why Le’Veon Bell is a perfect fit for Andy Reid’s offense

For starters, Westbrook loves the potential of what Reid can scheme up with his new running back tandem of Bell and rookie Clyde Edwards-Helaire, the NFL’s second-leading rusher. Westbrook made two Pro Bowls for Philly under Reid and knows what a running back needs to do to thrive in his system.

“It would probably take me an hour to tell you everything they can do together,” Westbrook said.

Both can run inside zone and outside zone, he said, and both can run power concepts. Plus Bell can line up outside and run quality, receiver-style routes, while Edwards-Helaire offers a big-play element. 

With all the talent around the Chiefs — Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins among them — opponents can’t devote resources to stopping either man, which should lead to a rushing yardage windfall this season.

“If you’re the defense, you’ve got to pick your poison a bit,” Westbrook said. “If I’m playing against Kansas City, I’m saying we have to get after Patrick Mahomes and not allow him to have so much success throwing bombs down the field.” 

In order to do that, Westbrook said, defenses have to back up their linebackers, safeties and cornerbacks and concede the short stuff.

“And that kind of lends itself to what we’ve seen the past couple weeks, where you just hand the ball to your running back and allow them to go to work,” Westbrook said. “It’s a hard offense to stop when you think about all the weapons.”

It’s even harder to stop when you’re as talent-deprived as the Jets. Yet, there is a scenario where the Chiefs’ run game doesn’t go crazy Sunday.

How the Jets can prevent a big Bell day 

If Gregg Williams, the Jets’ infamously aggressive defensive coordinator, concedes the run like all the other teams that have had success against Kansas City have done, Bell and Edwards-Helaire will have big games. 

Here’s the thing about that: doing so might negate one of the Jets’ few strengths. Their run defense has been adequate this year, as they rank 14th against the rush, according to Football Outsiders’ DVOA. 

On the flip side, they rank 28th against the pass in DVOA. If Williams sticks to his philosophy of taking away the run — which could be tempting, especially with a former Jet with hard feelings lining up in the Chiefs’ backfield — Kansas City’s passing game will likely go crazy.

It’s a no-win situation for the Jets. Anything can happen in the NFL, but the Chiefs (6-1) are 19.5-point favorites to win according to BetMGM, meaning Bell is highly likely to get his revenge, big individual day on the ground or not.

Yet, someone on Kansas City’s offense is probably going to go off Sunday, and it would be poetic justice if it’s Bell, who figures to have a better result against the Jets than Westbrook had in his “revenge game” against the Eagles in 2010, when he logged a single carry for 6 yards in the 49ers’ 27-24 loss.

“If you think about what you’ve seen from the Jets so far this season, you can’t help but think this kind of a homecoming game for the Kansas City Chiefs, a great stat game,” Westbrook said with a laugh. “It’s one of those games where you circle off on the calendar and say I’ve got to get a couple touchdowns today because this is going to help me boost my Pro Bowl status.”

Edited by Faust

Anyone actually bought on him?

I'm a bit RB needy in a dynasty league. 

I was offered Bell for Kirk and Tua in a non-SF league, but feel that's way overpaying.  Trying to get an idea of what level of guy Bell is worth.

personally I think people need to pump the brakes a little.....I feel Bell is coming in as a complimentary piece and the ceiling would be Hunt when Chubb is healthy.... IMO Reid could care less about any revenge angle, that's not what they are about in KC.....and he probably isn't going to run it up in any way shape or form when/if they get a big lead....he won't want it to seem like he is letting Bell go gang busters just to rub it in to the Jets....

On 10/29/2020 at 7:51 PM, Drunken Cowboy said:

I think they will let him get his revenge. 6 TDs is not out of question 

I think .6 is a reasonable estimate for both Bell and CEE.    Jets run defense is surprisingly good, their main weakness is the occasional big gainer, which neither Bell nor CEE are known for.

I'm just glad that we speak to people on behalf of their corporate sponsors now.

Did anybody catch that? We spoke to Westbrook as part of Crown Royal's Purple Bag Project blah blah blah.

That's disgusting. 

• Sad 1

On Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 7:51 PM, Drunken Cowboy said:

I think they will let him get his revenge. 6 TDs is not out of question 

What revenge? The Jets gave him a lot of money, he did not perform well, and then they traded him to a Super Bowl team.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Truebluey said:

I think .6 is a reasonable estimate for both Bell and CEE.    Jets run defense is surprisingly good, their main weakness is the occasional big gainer, which neither Bell nor CEE are known for.

Who is CEE?

5 minutes ago, Helaire-ious said:

Who is CEE?

Clyde Edwards-Eclair?

• Laughing 1

15 minutes ago, Fariq said:

Clyde Edwards-Eclair?

The "H" is silent. 

2 minutes ago, Helaire-ious said:

The H is still there. CEH ;)

You have to sound it out in your head to get the joke. 

Le'Veon Bell rushed six times for seven yards in the Chiefs' Week 8 win over the Jets, adding three receptions for 31 additional yards. 

Aside from turning a screen into an 18-yard catch early in the first quarter, Bell failed to take revenge on his former club as the Chiefs barely ran the ball in a blowout victory. Bell failed to convert 3rd-and-2 and 4th-and-1 carries for first downs, with the latter coming from the Jets' 14-yard line in the third quarter. Bell now has just 12 totes through two games as a Chief. He has an appealing Week 9 matchup in the Panthers before the Chiefs head on bye, but we have not seen much reason through two games in red to regard Bell as anything more than a low-floor FLEX. 

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

Yeah its not just the Jets. He looks tentative and slow and done.

Maybe gase isn't QUITE as dumb as we all think 

2 hours ago, TLEF316 said:

Yeah its not just the Jets. He looks tentative and slow and done.

Maybe gase isn't QUITE as dumb as we all think 

He's actually dumber, but nothing to do with Bell.

• Like 1

Have you all watched Bell run before? His M.O. is patience which I understand could look like hesitance to some. He's never been the kinda back that will plow into the line whether there's a hole or not. 

He didn't look washed to me at all. He just looks like Leveon Bell looks when he's out of sync with his O-line. 

1 hour ago, ATB said:

Have you all watched Bell run before? His M.O. is patience which I understand could look like hesitance to some. He's never been the kinda back that will plow into the line whether there's a hole or not. 

He didn't look washed to me at all. He just looks like Leveon Bell looks when he's out of sync with his O-line. 

The OL he had in Pitt was a huge luxury that afforded him some patience which fit his style.  Its not there with KC and for sure looks washed as well.  Faded not thread bare.  I see a difference between 23 yo LB and almost 29 yo LB just like i see it with most RBs. 

Hmmmm.

Adam Teicher

@adamteicher

Clyde Edwards-Helaire was not at the early part of Chiefs practice today. I'm told he was in the building earlier today. Will learn his situation when the Chiefs issue their injury report later

2:41 PM · Nov 19, 2020·Twitter for Android