Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Eminence

Le'Veon Bell

His usage against Baltimore was unprecedented. In previous weeks, Bell was spelled for entire series by Jones and occasionally Dwyer. Bell was averaging 3.2 YPC for the season coming into the Baltimore game.

Against Baltimore, he was in every series, and he averaged 4.6 YPC.

I can see the utilization and YPC regressing closer to season averages for the remaining 4 games. The game was on Thanksgiving, against Baltimore, in a game that was extremely critical to their season. Which, unfortunately they lost. All of those factors, not as much the concussion, lead me to believe he splits a bit more time this week, as he was doing in the weeks prior to the Baltimore game.

While this is true, it doesn't actually tell the whole story.

While Bell was being spelled from time to time, neither Jones or Dwyer were getting significant touches. Since Bell has been the main RB, neither Jones or Dwyer has more than 7 touches in a single game. Furthermore, the two of them combined haven't had more than 11 touches in a single game since Bell's been back (and in that game where they got 11 touches, Bell had 25).

Bell has received 78% of the RB touches since he became the main RB. I don't see that drastically changing.

For the last 5 weeks, he has the 3rd-highest utilization of any RB.

His touches have been: 20, 25, 22, 25, 23

His snap counts have been: 51, 46, 61, 48, 60

The third highest utilization for any RB?

Wow?

Anyone have any sense of the Miami rushing defense? How's that look from a matchup perspective?

Miami vs RBs this year:

CLE 13/47/0

IND 22/95/1

ATL 29/139/0

NO 8/29/1 (Sproles 7/114/1 rec)

BAL 38/120/2

BUF 25/77/1

NE 33/147/2

CIN 30/141/2

TB 33/143/1

SD 24/148/0

Car 21/85/0

NYJ 19/95/0

Only one 100 yard game all year to a single RB (Mathews) but 9 TDs allowed, 11 including receiving. These stat lines look really promising though since Bell gets so much of the work.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

Re: the utilization link above - that is incredible.

Running it week 6-13 for just RBs puts Bell in between Peterson & Forte.

Also, Lacy is no. 1.

Lacy

ADP

Bell

Forte

Moreno

Charles

Stacy

McCoy

Bush

Morris

Remarkable.

• Like 1

So, how are Bell owners feeling about this week's matchup?

I'm a fan of the way the guy plays, his ability to catch the ball, his role on the team, and his utilization. Turn on the game and sure enough soon enough he seems to get the ball. So for me he's staying in.

But the Cincy game seems like a tough matchup, especially as they have not allowed many RB TDs this year, and not for some time.

Not confident, but with Peterson attached to my bench, Bell is in my lineup. So I'm hoping for a magical day.

I'm a fan of the way the guy plays, his ability to catch the ball, his role on the team, and his utilization. Turn on the game and sure enough soon enough he seems to get the ball. So for me he's staying in.

But the Cincy game seems like a tough matchup, especially as they have not allowed many RB TDs this year, and not for some time.

His work load alone makes him difficult to bench. I like his high floor.

20+ touches with 4/5 catches is always nice in PPR leagues especially.

His work load alone makes him difficult to bench. I like his high floor.

20+ touches with 4/5 catches is always nice in PPR leagues especially.

he has pretty good size and doesn't need to be subbed situationally for a dedicated goal line RB, which is also a plus.

Not confident, but with Peterson attached to my bench, Bell is in my lineup. So I'm hoping for a magical day.

Same here. Without Adrian, bells my best back.

I'm not crazy about his prospects this week, but you can't ignore the fact that he's a lock for twenty plus touches. My other options in a PPR format are Tate and Andre Brown. Am I crazy to start Bell over those two?

I'm starting Moreno and Vereen over him in PPR. He is consistent though even against tougher defenses. He'll give you no less than 15 points in PPR I'd bet.

I'm not crazy about his prospects this week, but you can't ignore the fact that he's a lock for twenty plus touches. My other options in a PPR format are Tate and Andre Brown. Am I crazy to start Bell over those two?

not at all, both guys are setup to have a nice game this weekend.

It's a horrible matchup on paper, as only Matt Forte in week 1 has had what I would call a great game against Cincinatti. But then, again Baltimore was an awful matchup on paper as well.

I've been debating between Bell and Steven Jackson all week and I've got to stick with Bell.

Over the last 7 weeks, here are his targets/game: 7, 10, 3, 5, 5, 9, 9. Bell is averaging 6.9 targets/game over the past 7 weeks. In a PPR league, under the Sunday Night lights, there is just no way I can sit Bell this week (and I've been trying hard to find a reason).

With AP on my bench right now, I'm going with Vereen and Andre Brown over Bell. Non PPR league. Anybody want to talk me out of that?

With AP on my bench right now, I'm going with Vereen and Andre Brown over Bell. Non PPR league. Anybody want to talk me out of that?

As of now, I have Andre Brown and Tate on my bench in favor if Bell. Despite Seattle traveling across the country and their d not being as stellar on the road, I'm not confident starting Brown over him. Plus, Hillis will be getting the GL carries, which is crazy because Brown is a good short yardage back. As for Tate, I just don't trust the Indy O, as they totally abandoned the run last week. Bell is the bell cow and got a whopping seven targets last week. I think his floor is 15 points in a PPR this week

Anyone like Bell over Lacy this week in PPR? Am I crazy? I'm worried with defense keying in on Lacy.

Yes, benching lacy due to the DAL D is crazy.

I'm starting Moreno and Vereen over him in PPR. He is consistent though even against tougher defenses. He'll give you no less than 15 points in PPR I'd bet.

I hope you were still able to pull out a win, because neither of those guys you started over Bell did much of anything. I thought Vereen was headed for big things last week as well, if he had just put up five more points I would have won in a league where I was facing Jamal Charles. I'm still alive in the league where I have Bell though, so I'm happy for now, we'll see how he does in Super Bowl week on Sunday.

A completely objective choice, I'm sure...haha

We need the elite blocking Bell has displayed in the worst fashion possible.

*Mike is also talking about back in April when he states "easy choice" included the surgically repaired toe of Lacy.

Edited by BigSteelThrill

How do you see the weather affecting him this week? On the one hand, it would probably make them more conservative. On the other, it could make footing more difficult.

I've been tracking the forecast and I believe the majority of the accumulation is suppose to hit TE city before the game. Hopefully the field will be clear for the most part by gametime

So where does he rank in a redraft next year?

Depending on what happens in the offseason this year across the league, I can see him as high as 7 or 8 and no lower then 20th in PPR leagues,

assuming the Pittsburgh O-line finally comes together and is blessed with good health then the rushing numbers will come. Couple those with the receiving numbers and he's easily a Top 10 Rb :towelwave:

assuming the Pittsburgh O-line finally comes together and is blessed with good health then the rushing numbers will come. Couple those with the receiving numbers and he's easily a Top 10 Rb :towelwave:

Yeah that's how I see it as well. He's locked in as the Steelers 3 down back. He pass blocks well and he catches the ball well. The gorilla in the room that could seriously derail that projection is if Pittsburgh trades Big Ben. Then teams might start stacking the box against.

Edited by water1

So where does he rank in a redraft next year?

Depending on what happens in the offseason this year across the league, I can see him as high as 7 or 8 and no lower then 20th in PPR leagues,

A young, workhorse RB who had a very productive rookie campaign won't go lower than 15th overall and I don't see how he's not a first rounder in 12 team leagues.

Remember this time last year we were saying the same thing about guys like Doug Martin, Trent Richardson, and C.J. Spiller. I am just playing devils advocate here because I love his talent and the spot he is in, but you just never know.

Remember this time last year we were saying the same thing about guys like Doug Martin, Trent Richardson, and C.J. Spiller. I am just playing devils advocate here because I love his talent and the spot he is in, but you just never know.

Valid points, but there's a reason those guys got so much hype. Martin was disappointing, but the team was all over the place and then he was injured (granted, his replacements did look better). Spiller had both injury concerns / ding concerns and a split backfield. Richardson we all miffed on (well, most of us). I suppose you could have seen the lack of explosiveness last year, but plenty of "experts" had him as high as top 5.

Every back after the uber top tier has some questions, and Bell is no different. But a true 3 down back who is young and had a productive year both running and catching the ball will get a lot of love in next years drafts - perhaps deservedly so.

Valid points, but there's a reason those guys got so much hype. Martin was disappointing, but the team was all over the place and then he was injured (granted, his replacements did look better). Spiller had both injury concerns / ding concerns and a split backfield. Richardson we all miffed on (well, most of us). I suppose you could have seen the lack of explosiveness last year, but plenty of "experts" had him as high as top 5.

Every back after the uber top tier has some questions, and Bell is no different. But a true 3 down back who is young and had a productive year both running and catching the ball will get a lot of love in next years drafts - perhaps deservedly so.

Agree with most of this.

I don't think that Spiller is in the same category at all. He is a supreme physical talent who looked like he might be taking over the lion's share of the carries. People's excitement for him was his speed and explosion, not volume.

Martin was in a similar boat as Bell is now, but honestly he was fine if not for the injury. Several of Bell's games were like Martin's, but I have little doubt that over the course of the season, Martin would have been productive.

Richardson is perhaps the best cautionary tale, though I think people always were down on Cleveland as a spot for just about any skill player. In the end, whatever Richardson's problems were apparently were not the result of the Browns' system, but either way, Pittsburgh is such a better place for a RB. And Bell seems to be getting better as he gets more comfortable and the Steelers get him more involved. Admittedly, I was high on Richardson this year, but there were definitely flags as the season progressed, whether injury or ability. Bell continues to improve.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Steelers reporter Scott Brown expects Le'Veon Bell to be "one of the biggest beneficiaries" of new OL coach Mike Munchak's addition to Pittsburgh's staff.

Brown expects Le'Veon to "thrive" in Pittsburgh's revised rushing attack, which will make zone blocking a "staple" on offense. The Steelers added zone concepts last offseason, but they'll be emphasized by Munchak. After breaking Franco Harris' Steelers rookie record for yards from scrimmage (1,259), Bell should be viewed as a rock-solid RB2 pick in 2014 fantasy drafts.
Source: ESPN.com

This development on top of Bell's being what looks to be the team's three down back, and his still young age (he turns 22 next month) can be argument to rank him in top 6 in person dynasty formats.

Rotoworld:

Coach Mike Tomlin indicated Sunday the Steelers are not pursuing running backs to siphon significant carries from Le'Veon Bell.

The Steelers have hosted Maurice Jones-Drew and LeGarrette Blount in free agency, but they would be pretty clear-cut backups in Pittsburgh. "We need to add quality depth to that position," Tomlin stated. "It would be good to get a been-there, done-that type of guy in the room to maybe help (Bell) with growth and development. But I don’t view it as a necessity, quite honestly."

I took Bell ahead of Bernard last year and although I still think it was a slight mistake I like what I'm hearing out of Pittsburgh.

I took Bell ahead of Bernard last year and although I still think it was a slight mistake I like what I'm hearing out of Pittsburgh.

Are you crazy? The Bernard hype is out of control. I will take Bell any day. At least he will get 20 touches a game and is a sure fire goal line back on a team that loves to pound the rock.

I would say most people would still take Bernard ahead ahead of Bell. The gap has closed with the way Bell closed the year and the talk coming out of Pittsburgh.

I would say most people would still take Bernard ahead ahead of Bell. The gap has closed with the way Bell closed the year and the talk coming out of Pittsburgh.

I will always take the gio type over the bell type. In today's nfl, the big RB that pounds the ball as a true workhorse is gone in a mendenhall minute when they get talked up while the Gio type of guys just seem to progress and prgress until that hit that perfect stride/combo of experience and skill (like Charles, McCoy, etc).

I know that is generalizing but overall the dynamic guys seem to outlast the bruisers. Even when it's not true, you always go into each fantasy season thinking it is because you get worn down with the speculation. How many years have we been hearing gore is at the brink (and how many people sold too early)? And we are hearing it now with lynch despite two great recent seasons.

I just reread the first few pages of this thread. Hunchback saying that this draft is weak and he'd rather have picks in future drafts. Sure hope he doesn't need a RB. And TDMills saying Bell would be a bust based on what Edgerrin James did in Arizona and what second rounders did on other teams. And my favorite was when he said that Lacy and Gio had more talent and that if Bell was more talented he wouldn't have been a second rounder!?!!>

Then the guy goes off for 1200 total yards and 8 TD's in 13 games. And it turns out this draft had some nice gems...

I will always take the gio type over the bell type. In today's nfl, the big RB that pounds the ball as a true workhorse is gone in a mendenhall minute when they get talked up while the Gio type of guys just seem to progress and prgress until that hit that perfect stride/combo of experience and skill (like Charles, McCoy, etc).

I know that is generalizing but overall the dynamic guys seem to outlast the bruisers. Even when it's not true, you always go into each fantasy season thinking it is because you get worn down with the speculation. How many years have we been hearing gore is at the brink (and how many people sold too early)? And we are hearing it now with lynch despite two great recent seasons.

Good post w the exception of the Lynch thing. No one said Lynch is done, just that his contract is pricey

I just reread the first few pages of this thread. Hunchback saying that this draft is weak and he'd rather have picks in future drafts. Sure hope he doesn't need a RB. And TDMills saying Bell would be a bust based on what Edgerrin James did in Arizona and what second rounders did on other teams. And my favorite was when he said that Lacy and Gio had more talent and that if Bell was more talented he wouldn't have been a second rounder!?!!>

Then the guy goes off for 1200 total yards and 8 TD's in 13 games. And it turns out this draft had some nice gems...

My biggest issue with taking Bell is his ceiling. Does anyone see him as a RB1 long term?

Size-speed-power-pedigree and most importantly no real roster threat... Umm I do. RB1 depends a lot on schedules and workload. I don't have him as a RB1 this year but 1200+ 10+ TDs is in reach immediately.

Easy game