Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Eminence

Le'Veon Bell

What do you feel you've learned having gone through this whole ordeal?

One, weed is not important. It's something that I can easily say bye to. If I want to do it later on in my life, then I'll enjoy it later on.

Bell seems to be insinuating that he loves the weed.

Is the implicit concern here that you think he is at risk for being a repeat offender?

Given what we just went through with Gordon/Blackmon and all of the things they said after getting in trouble, it's a little troubling. Reminds too much of Blackmon's "I'm done drinking...for now".

I hear you, especially given the minuscule thresholds we are dealing with respect to THC levels. I doubt he has a weed problem in the traditional sense, but now that he has been popped for it - testing is going to be a #####.

I hear you, especially given the minuscule thresholds we are dealing with respect to THC levels. I doubt he has a weed problem in the traditional sense, but now that he has been popped for it - testing is going to be a #####.

What his status with regard to alcohol - he can't drink either due to the DUI, right?

One, weed is not important. It's something that I can easily say bye to. If I want to do it later on in my life, then I'll enjoy it later on.

Is the implicit concern here that you think he is at risk for being a repeat offender?

Given what we just went through with Gordon/Blackmon and all of the things they said after getting in trouble, it's a little troubling. Reminds too much of Blackmon's "I'm done drinking...for now".

Didn't Gordon/Blackmon have ongoing issues before the NFL ever got involved, whereas for Bell this at least seems to be a first-time thing.

Gordon of course was kicked off the team for marijuana use in college, and then entered the supplemental draft. So whole different story there. Blackmon wasn't as bad but he was arrested a few times in college (once for a DUI) and the Bucs apparently staked out Blackmon's favorite bar for a week leading up to the draft to see how often he was in there.

I couldn't find anything in Bell's draft profile about marijuana. So I'm not sure him saying "my bad, never again" after his first offense is the same thing as two guys saying it after they'd been repeatedly in trouble for it many times.

Didn't Gordon/Blackmon have ongoing issues before the NFL ever got involved, whereas for Bell this at least seems to be a first-time thing.

Gordon of course was kicked off the team for marijuana use in college, and then entered the supplemental draft. So whole different story there. Blackmon wasn't as bad but he was arrested a few times in college (once for a DUI) and the Bucs apparently staked out Blackmon's favorite bar for a week leading up to the draft to see how often he was in there.

I couldn't find anything in Bell's draft profile about marijuana. So I'm not sure him saying "my bad, never again" after his first offense is the same thing as two guys saying it after they'd been repeatedly in trouble for it many times.

He's not saying never again.

It is not nitpicking when a guy is not even worthy of being discussed at the top players at their position. That is a wrong statement that deserves clarification for anyone who would make it because Bell has not nor is he considered in that light by anyone but you.

You have not backed up the statement either. Instead resting on some imaginary laurels. WTG.

Huh? I just proved how he wasn't far from Gio, who you chose to crown instead, in the passing game. You are debating against pretty simple math in the matter, not me. He also outproduced Gio's raw totals while playing less games. Pardon me for thinking a player with those credentials has equal-greater upside as the other for 2014. Your statement needs clarification if aything.

Maybe I am debating against incorrect math. That is why I put numbers up there to make that more clear.

Here is FFtoday PPR results from 2013-

1. Jamaal Charles KC 15 259 1,288 12 104 70 693 7 382.1 25.5

2. Matt Forte CHI 16 288 1,341 9 95 75 592 3 340.3 21.3

3. LeSean McCoy PHI 16 314 1,607 9 64 52 540 2 332.7 20.8

4. Knowshon Moreno DEN 16 242 1,039 10 74 60 548 3 296.7 18.5

5. Marshawn Lynch SEA 16 301 1,257 12 44 36 316 2 277.3 17.3

6. DeMarco Murray DAL 14 217 1,124 9 66 53 348 1 260.2 18.6

7. Reggie Bush DET 14 223 1,006 4 80 54 506 3 247.2 17.7

8. Eddie Lacy GB 15 284 1,178 11 44 35 257 0 244.5 16.3

9. Chris Johnson TEN 16 279 1,077 6 52 42 345 4 244.2 15.3

10. Adrian Peterson MIN 14 279 1,266 10 40 29 171 1 238.7 17.1

11. Fred Jackson BUF 16 207 896 9 65 46 375 1 233.1 14.6

12. Danny Woodhead SD 16 106 425 2 87 76 605 6 227.0 14.2

13. Giovani Bernard CIN 16 170 695 5 71 56 514 3 224.9 14.1

14. Joique Bell DET 16 166 650 8 69 53 547 0 220.7 13.8

15. Le'Veon Bell PIT 13 244 860 8 66 45 408 0 219.8 16.9 http://www.fftoday.com/stats/playerstats.php?Season=2013&GameWeek=&PosID=20&LeagueID=107644

Bell finished as RB 15 in PPR last season. He was outscored by Fred Jackson, Joique Bell, Woodhead and Bernard who were all time share RB.

Bell finished 10th overall for offensive snaps of all RB at 677 (despite missing the 1st 3 games)

Bernard finished 17th overall for offensive snaps of all RB at 614.

What has made Bell a valuable RB to have (and do not get me wrong I do like Bell) is the high volume of touches and the short yardage TD. Both of those things are threatened to be reduced I think with the Steelers bringing in Blount who is at minimum a good power goal line RB.

Meanwhile Bernard with Hue Jackson as the OC now is expected to have a greatly increased workload.

The idea of Bell being better in PPR is somewhat strange to me as well considering there are many other RB who I expect to outperform him in that scoring system. Not that Bell is a bad passing option. He isn't. But he is not as adept in this aspect of his game as Bernard or many other RB in the league (as shown from last seasons numbers). Honestly what made Bell valuable is mostly the short yardage TD he put up last season, not his passing numbers.

FF numbers sorted by receptions-

1. Pierre Thomas NO 16 147 549 2 84 77 513 3 213.2 13.3

2. Danny Woodhead SD 16 106 425 2 87 76 605 6 227.0 14.2

3. Matt Forte CHI 16 288 1,341 9 95 75 592 3 340.3 21.3

4. Darren Sproles NO 15 53 220 2 89 71 604 2 177.4 11.8

5. Jamaal Charles KC 15 259 1,288 12 104 70 693 7 382.1 25.5

6. Knowshon Moreno DEN 16 242 1,039 10 74 60 548 3 296.7 18.5

7. Ray Rice BAL 15 214 660 4 73 58 321 0 180.1 12.0

8. Giovani Bernard CIN 16 170 695 5 71 56 514 3 224.9 14.1

9. Reggie Bush DET 14 223 1,006 4 80 54 506 3 247.2 17.7

10. Joique Bell DET 16 166 650 8 69 53 547 0 220.7 13.8

11. DeMarco Murray DAL 14 217 1,124 9 66 53 348 1 260.2 18.6

12. LeSean McCoy PHI 16 314 1,607 9 64 52 540 2 332.7 20.8

13. Jacquizz Rodgers ATL 15 97 333 2 62 52 341 2 143.4 9.6

14. Chris Ogbonnaya CLE 16 48 239 0 75 48 343 2 118.2 7.4

15. Shane Vereen NE 8 44 208 1 69 47 427 3 134.5 16.8

16. Fred Jackson BUF 16 207 896 9 65 46 375 1 233.1 14.6

17. Le'Veon Bell PIT 13 244 860 8 66 45 408 0 219.8 16.9 http://www.fftoday.com/stats/playerstats.php?Season=2013&GameWeek=&PosID=20&LeagueID=107644&order_by=Rec&sort_order=DESC

In terms of receptions Bell finished 17th of all RB in 2013 despite getting more snaps than the majority of these RB. So I am not sure why you would consider that scoring format to be an advantage for Bell. I think he finishes better in standard leagues honestly.

Bell also did not score any TD in the passing game while all of these RB scored at least once except for Joique Bell and Rice.

So I am completely baffled at your assertion that Leveon Bell be considered not only a top PPR but potentially THE top RB in PPR. The simple math does not suggest that will be the case at all.

Then you followed that up saying I should have McCoy at the top of RB in PPR. Personally I think Sproles will eat into his targets in the passing game so while McCoy is certainly a top RB (unlike Bell) he may not get as many receptions in 2014 as he did last season.

Saying that Bernard and Bell are similar in passing stats also does not seem right to my simple math.

Bell 45 receptions 408 yards 0TD

Bernard 56 receptions 514 yards 3TD

McCoy 52 receptions 540 yards 2TD

Using my simple math Bernards receiving numbers look much closer to McCoy than they do to Bell.

RB with similar passing numbers as Bell were-

Fred Jackson 46 receptions 375 yards 1TD

Andre Ellington 39 receptions 371 yards 1TD

eta- On a talent and potential basis I see Bernard as being the more talented player. Bernard reminds me a bit of DeAngelo Williams with better pass protection and receiving skills (Although Williams has been underutilized in this and every other aspect of his opportunity).

Bell on the other hand seems like a player who's potential has already been pretty much maxed out in terms of opportunity.

Both are 22 year old players so I think both of their skill levels should improve as they develop.

Here are the percentage of snaps the 2 RB played in 2013 by game-

L. Bell PIT 0% 0% 0% 76% 72% 79% 77% 68% 68% 79% 70% 91% 83% 79% 86% 81% 64.4% of the total offensive snaps.

G.Bernard CIN 36% 34% 54% 74% 49% 58% 49% 46% 48% 67% 48% 50% 55% 77% 56% 63% 54.3% of the total offensive snaps.

Bell averaged 77.61% of the total offensive snaps in the 13 games that he played.

:lmao: gets me everytime

Part of me wants him to only have 1 touchdown through 9 or so games again. Even though I own him in 2 dynasties. The pure entertainment value of this thread last year at that time would be worth it.

Part of me wants him to only have 1 touchdown through 9 or so games again. Even though I own him in 2 dynasties. The pure entertainment value of this thread last year at that time would be worth it.

He was the #3 RB in PPR during the first 10 games.

He was the #3 RB in PPR during the first 10 games.

I know, that is what made it so funny.

PLease correct me if I am wrong, but Bell has never been popped for weed by the NFL, right?

Not by the NFL, but from what I understand, his DUI arrest for weed enters him into the NFLs substance abuse program.

PLease correct me if I am wrong, but Bell has never been popped for weed by the NFL, right?

Not by the NFL, but from what I understand, his DUI arrest for weed enters him into the NFLs substance abuse program.

Minor point I know, but IMO it's a slight positive that he's been smart / professional enough to not get caught by the NFL drug tests.

Meh, I don't own Bell anywhere (sadly), but I don't see any cause for concern. Some people enjoy smoking, but can prioritize it appropriately.

For instance, I really enjoy smoking weed. However, I have a job and a family, and smoking would put my job and ability to support my family at risk, so I don't do it. But when I am retired, that's no longer an issue, so I'll probably do it on occasion. That's how I read his response.

But if you're in my league, I think he's got a problem and you should probably get what you can now ( from me).

• Like 2

Meh, I don't own Bell anywhere (sadly), but I don't see any cause for concern. Some people enjoy smoking, but can prioritize it appropriately.

For instance, I really enjoy smoking weed. However, I have a job and a family, and smoking would put my job and ability to support my family at risk, so I don't do it. But when I am retired, that's no longer an issue, so I'll probably do it on occasion. That's how I read his response.

But if you're in my league, I think he's got a problem and you should probably get what you can now ( from me).

I read it as, "There's a time and place for weed. My peak earning years as a running back is not the time..."

• Like 1

Rotoworld:

Commissioner Roger Goodell stated Tuesday that he "isn't aware" of Le'Veon Bell's appeal of his three-game suspension.

Bell faces a three-game ban stemming from last year's DUI and marijuana arrest. His suspension was announced in early April. "That appeal is not heard by me," said Goodell. "I would have to get somebody else to get a timeline on that."
Jul 21 - 1:41 PM

Rotoworld:

Le'Veon Bell - RB - Steelers

Suspended RB Le'Veon Bell has not yet had an appeal hearing with the NFL regarding his three-game ban.

Bell told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler he has "no idea" regarding a suspension-appeal update, "or if the league is even looking at it." It's frustrating news as training camp inches close. For now, fantasy owners should be approaching Le'Veon as if he'll miss the first three weeks of the season, and consider any reduction in the three-game suspension an unexpected bonus.

Source: Ed Bouchette on Twitter

Jul 25 - 3:49 PM

Rotoworld:

Le'Veon Bell says his right knee still isn't fully healthy.

It's the third time in the last four months Bell has said he's "close" to 100 percent. The Steelers haven't shown any concern for Bell's knee. Bell made it through the offseason program without setbacks and should be full-go for training camp.

Source: Mark Kaboly on Twitter

Jul 25 - 4:37 PM

Rotoworld:

Suspended RB Le'Veon Bell was a full participant for the start of Steelers camp on Monday.

Bell missed last January's playoff loss to Baltimore with a hyperextended knee, and recently said he wasn't 100-percent healthy. Per beat writer Jeremy Fowler, however, Le'Veon looked "noticeably explosive" on the first day of camp. Fowler added that Le'Veon "says he's in the best shape of his life, and he's not lying," showing quick feet and straight-line speed in practice.

Source: ESPN.com

Jul 27 - 6:10 PM

Rotoworld:

Suspended RB Le'Veon Bell has not yet had an appeal hearing with the NFL regarding his three-game ban.

Bell told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler he has "no idea" regarding a suspension-appeal update, "or if the league is even looking at it." It's frustrating news as training camp inches close. For now, fantasy owners should be approaching Le'Veon as if he'll miss the first three weeks of the season, and consider any reduction in the three-game suspension an unexpected bonus.

Source: Ed Bouchette on Twitter

Jul 25 - 3:49 PM

Just another example of a screwed up system. How hard is it to notify a player when or even if their appeal will be heard?

Rotoworld:

The NFL and Le'Veon Bell are negotiating a settlement that could reduce his three-game suspension to one or two games.

Bell's suspension stems from an August 2014 incident in which he was pulled over with marijuana in his car, and got charged with both possession and a DUI. Bell's camp is arguing that he's being punished twice for the same offense. As a player with no known history of breaking the law, he appears to have a legit shot at a reduction. Bell, already in the conversation at No. 1 overall in fantasy, would surely be the top pick if he only will sit 1-2 games.
Jul 28 - 11:07 AM

Rotoworld:

The NFL and Le'Veon Bell are negotiating a settlement that could reduce his three-game suspension to one or two games.

Bell's suspension stems from an August 2014 incident in which he was pulled over with marijuana in his car, and got charged with both possession and a DUI. Bell's camp is arguing that he's being punished twice for the same offense. As a player with no known history of breaking the law, he appears to have a legit shot at a reduction. Bell, already in the conversation at No. 1 overall in fantasy, would surely be the top pick if he only will sit 1-2 games.
Jul 28 - 11:07 AM

That's great news but even with a 0 game suspension there would be a strong argument for Lacy as the #1 RB off the board.

Great. So let's talk about that knee issue now!

Everyone says he looks "explosive" in camp...

Two games is just enough to get him at somewhat of a discount

According to many rankings and ADP reports, he was ranked/being drafted in the Top-2 with a three-game suspension (PPR).

He should be the 1.01 pick in PPR leagues.

No discount.

He was hanging around with LaGarrett Blount at this time last year. I dont think they were a good combo, on or off the field. Bell really has shaped up. He has apologized and seems humbled by what has taken place. I feel 100% confidence in him and would talke him #1 overall if given the chance.

Is Bell number #1 pick worthy now that there are only two games? I would think he would be close to a consensus #1 pick had it been reduced to 0 games.

Is Bell number #1 pick worthy now that there are only two games? I would think he would be close to a consensus #1 pick had it been reduced to 0 games.

If you expect him to get the same per game touches that he did last season then there is a real possibility that he still leads the league in touches. That makes him very worthy of at least being in the conversation.

I think Lacy may be the only one I would consider in front of him.

If you expect him to get the same per game touches that he did last season then there is a real possibility that he still leads the league in touches. That makes him very worthy of at least being in the conversation.

In redraft you wouldn't consider ADP at that spot. I can't imagine what that dude is going to do to opposing D's this year and the record books.

In redraft you wouldn't consider ADP at that spot. I can't imagine what that dude is going to do to opposing D's this year and the record books.

You're right he should be in the conversation.

Are people that drafted Bell riding a Steelers running back in weeks 1 and 2? Or, did you draft a mid round back to start for a few weeks and miss out on some wide receiver or other positional talent?

Deangelo Williams should carry the load right? Interesting the Stelers official depth chart has Dri Archer as 3rd on the depth chart and yahoo has him listed officially has a WR. I had Bell fall to me, but didn't think too much at the time on how I would survive weeks 1-2.

Are people that drafted Bell riding a Steelers running back in weeks 1 and 2? Or, did you draft a mid round back to start for a few weeks and miss out on some wide receiver or other positional talent?

Deangelo Williams should carry the load right? Interesting the Stelers official depth chart has Dri Archer as 3rd on the depth chart and yahoo has him listed officially has a WR. I had Bell fall to me, but didn't think too much at the time on how I would survive weeks 1-2.

I got Jonas Gray to fill in. D. Williams went too early for my liking.

I've got Deangelo locked and loaded.

DeAngelo has looked great in preseason

Edited by Godsbrother

And that's about all you can get out of the guy is a couple games so this is perfect. Sadly, I don't own the guy. Going with Carlos Hyde and Alfred Morris.

• Like 1

And that's about all you can get out of the guy is a couple games so this is perfect. Sadly, I don't own the guy. Going with Carlos Hyde and Alfred Morris.

Jonathan Stewart here

What deangelo has done in this offense has me giddy as a bell owner. It also has to worry us that Bell may give up some goal line touches because deangelo has proven he can pound it in.

Edited by VikingFrog

What deangelo has done in this offense has me giddy as a bell owner. It also has to worry us that Bell may give up some goal line touches because deangelo has proven he can pound it in.

it won't matter. if you are 1-1 or 2-0, he was the perfect pick for you. come what may

• Like 1

will you guys be disappointed if the team mixes DWIl in more and says they are saving Bell to be fresher or say that DWIL has ""earned it", etc?

I think that is a very realistic scenario based on DWIL showing so well.