Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black

Christine Michael

Not sure why everyone's so down on him this year. They have no receivers.

The backup RB on most teams don't get a lot of value, regardless of their WRs.

The backup RB on most teams don't get a lot of value, regardless of their WRs.

Hi Bernard Pierce!

Coach Pete Carroll praised second-round RB Christine Michael on Thursday.

"He’s done nothing but good stuff," Carroll said. "He's very quick, lightning quick, a really good worker, he finishes, he makes an impression to you all the time about how he’s willing to bust his tail to get down the field and finish runs, finish blocks and all that stuff. He’s fast, and he’s picking things up so he’s doing good." With Robert Turbin (foot, active/PUP) sidelined, Michael has a chance to carve out a significant role as the No. 2 back.

Carroll today on Michael. :gang2:

My impression when reading this thread is that, at least for this year, people are way too high on him.

My impression when reading this thread is that, at least for this year, people are way too high on him.

And that means you will be way late to the party and have to pay through the nose to get him. Draft high and hold on to this kid. That's what I just did...

And that means you will be way late to the party and have to pay through the nose to get him. Draft high and hold on to this kid. That's what I just did...

I dont play dynasty, and that was my point. It seems like all the people who are slobbering over him in here are dynasty guys, but they also think he is going to be productive or viable for fantasy this year. For that to happen, he needs to have A LOT work in his favor.

I dont play dynasty, and that was my point. It seems like all the people who are slobbering over him in here are dynasty guys, but they also think he is going to be productive or viable for fantasy this year. For that to happen, he needs to have A LOT work in his favor.

I think he is an interesting late round flier, maybe 14th-15th round in 20 man roster leagues. If the hype approaches anywhere near David Wilson level from last year - I would stay far away IMHO. That said, I just took him in the 8th of a start-up.

A few more items from Rotoworld:

Texas A&M senior RB Christine Michael took 11 carries for 50 yards and two touchdowns Saturday against Mississippi State.

This is just the second game Michael has been awarded double digit carries this season. We really like the senior's talent, but he has been in the doghouse all season for unspecified reasons. That and his medical history may concern NFL evaluators.
Sat, Nov 3, 2012 04:09:00 PM

Texas A&M senior RB Christine Michael will continue to come off the bench in a backup role.

Instead, junior Ben Malena will draw his second straight start. Michael started the season opener against Florida but was suspended for the game against SMU for violating team rules. He only touched the ball eight times against South Carolina State while Malena has rushed for 6.4 yards per carry in that time. Along with Malena being a smaller, faster back to fit the Aggies' air raid offense, there are likely ulterior circumstances that have not been disclosed keeping Michael from seeing more touches.
Wed, Sep 26, 2012 07:17:00 PM

Through three games, Texas A&M senior RB Christine Michael has only received 24 touches and amassed 80 yards in 2012.

Michael was suspended for the SMU game for a violation of team rules and it has been rumored that the senior missed the first half of this past weekend's game against South Carolina State for tweet during that game against the Mustangs. He is not a perfect fit for head coach Kevin Sumlin Air-Raid offense, and coupled with Michael's injury history, we could see a dip in production this season.
Mon, Sep 24, 2012 01:18:00 PM

Texas A&M senior RB Christine Michael has been suspended for Saturday's game against SMU for a violation of team rules.

Senior safety Steven Campbell will also be suspended for Saturday's game. No specifics were disclosed in terms of which rules the two players broke, but it may have been in the last 24 hours. Freshman back Trey Williams had a great game last week and could see the majority of the carries.
Sat, Sep 15, 2012 03:21:00 PM

Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin said at Monday's SEC media day that senior RB Christine Michael will be ready to play opening weekend.

Michael tore his left ACL in Novemeber after breaking his right tibia in 2010, so he certainly has a checkered injury history. Sumlin added that Michael is "way ahead" of his expected recovery time. Any positives are great to read about Michael, and we consider him the top senior talent at running back. A new offensive scheme is in place, but the Aggies would be foolish not to take advantage of Michael's talent in 2012.

Tue, Jul 17, 2012 05:18:00 PM

Thanks Faust.

I don't expect any of that to slow this train down but I figured everyone would like to know some more about his history. Although what exactly happened to cause the suspension is not clear to me. I remember doing some digging on that 2 months ago but didn't really find an answer about that. I had him 3rd pre NFL draft. I wasn't that worried about it. Like you said yellow flag.

Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 12:00 am

Eagle Staff Report

Texas A&M running back Christine Michael said Friday at the NFL combine he fully expected to play in the Cotton Bowl against Oklahoma and still doesn't know why he didn't see action in the Aggies' 41-13 victory.

"I was starting every rep in practice," Michael told reporters in Indianapolis. "The way I practiced even if it was a walkthrough, I was going full speed every time. I had no clue that I wasn't going to play not a down in that game. It was shocking to me, and it still shocks me to this day."

That ended a tough senior season for Michael, who was suspended for the SMU game after breaking a team rule and lost his starting position. He ended with 417 yards and 12 touchdowns on 88 carries.

Michael was asked Friday about being in the doghouse of A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin.

"There was a lot to it," Michael said. "We had a coaching change, a whole new coaching staff, a whole new offense. It got shaky for me. I wasn't used to it. Like I said, sometimes you just live and you learn. I never experienced changes like that. A lot of things got shaky. I went into my own tunnel and got a little stubborn and was just in my own world."

A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel put his arm around Michael near the end of the Cotton Bowl, offering support.

"He's a great guy, a great friend," Michael said. "All my teammates, not just Johnny. I thought to myself and I had to second guess myself like, 'Did I say anything wrong at practice? Did I do anything wrong?' That didn't happen because after the game [sumlin] came to me. He hugged me. He smiled at me. He told me good season, and he told me congratulations. So I knew it didn't have nothing to do with [me]. I wasn't too sure. I'm still not too sure."

Michael added that he still considers Sumlin a friend.

http://www.aggiesports.com/football/article_7c4db650-dbf1-5eed-84f6-83495a6b3d3e.html

So he claims ignorance of why he was suspended.

DALLAS -- Texas A&M starting running back Christine Michael and safety Steven Campbell have been suspended for the Aggies' game against SMU Saturday for a violation of team rules, the team announced.

There is no indication of what the violation was. The announcement was made just moments before the Aggies' kickoff against the Mustangs on Saturday at Gerald R. Ford Stadium.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/college-football/story/_/id/8381844/texas-aggies-suspend-rb-christine-michael-s-steven-campbell-game-smu

Not a chance. At this point, after the "big 6" (Bell, Ball, Bernard, Lacy, Austin, Hopkins) there isn't a player I would rather have. If people are willing to wait for the likes of Hunter and Patterson to produce, why not Michael. I'm taking him early.

Rotoworld:

Coach Pete Carroll praised second-round RB Christine Michael on Thursday.

"He’s done nothing but good stuff," Carroll said. "He's very quick, lightning quick, a really good worker, he finishes, he makes an impression to you all the time about how he’s willing to bust his tail to get down the field and finish runs, finish blocks and all that stuff. He’s fast, and he’s picking things up so he’s doing good." With Robert Turbin (foot, active/PUP) sidelined, Michael has a chance to carve out a significant role as the No. 2 back.

Oh, in a redraft, I would only draft him if I had Lynch and it would be late.

Not a chance. At this point, after the "big 6" (Bell, Ball, Bernard, Lacy, Austin, Hopkins) there isn't a player I would rather have. If people are willing to wait for the likes of Hunter and Patterson to produce, why not Michael. I'm taking him early.

Wow....he fell to me at 2.3....this is a rookie/people on the waiver wire draft. Some really bad picks were made 1.9 through 2.2. I just don't understand picking up most waiver wire guys because of need in a dynasty league. Patterson, K Allen, Wheaton, Woods, Hunter, Dobson are still available at WR. Stacy, Randle, and Murray still there at RB. And Kelce and Ertz are there at TE. And all of the QBs are still on the board. I will be with any of these guys in the third round. Woot woot!

ok guys, we get it, he's a potential stud sleeper that is going to backup Marshawn.. Now let this thread die! I've seen this thread for a couple days, but just assumed it was a thread about some cute sideline chick. Opened up a gold-mine. Time to delete the thread now. Kthanksbye

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2013/08/02/rice-confirms-he-had-platelet-rich-plasma-like-procedure-done-in-switzerland/#more-18058

Report from today's mock game.

Although he did not put up big rushing numbers, rookie Christine Michaels looked elusive out in the open field. It was hard to judge distance on the runs for the running backs because the tackle speed was thud. However, Michaels did struggle in the pass game with a couple drops.

Hmmmm, am I missing something? Because according to "HawkBlogger" found here = http://www.hawkblogger.com/2013/08/2013-seahawks-training-camp-news-notes.html -

Christine Michael
Michael showed off his receiving chops today. Not only was he making tough catches, but he immediately got his eyes down-field and created some big gains.

Perhaps it was a different practice, I guess. That seems logical.

Peter King@SI_PeterKing7h

Best rookies I've seen: 1 Cle OLB Barkevious Mingo, 2 Pit RB Le'Veon Bell, 3 Sea RB Christine Michael, 4 Buf QB EJ Manuel.

Kiss of death. If Peter King likes him, he's now dropped way down my list.

I've been to three Seahawks training camps, one of which included a mock game (hour long scrimmage, full pads, but definitely short of full contact). Michael is the real deal: dynamic change of direction, explodes through the LOS, doesn't shy from contact, breakaway speed (clearly pulls away from our LBs, who almost all run mid 4.5s). He is still learning to read the ZBS, but in no way is he tentative. Downhill runner on all but a few plays, and he was getting direct coaching from Cable, Smith, or Carroll on the practice field when he was lollygagging in the backfield on one or two runs (out of 20-30 I saw). He's definitely a reasonable #1RB for a long term hold in dynasty. Lattimore arguably had more talent, but hasn't proven it post knee reconstruction, and to me seems like more of a gamble. The rest of the RB crew may be in better situations for immediate production, and I could see picking any of them ahead of Michael if you need a contributor immediately, but Michael is the type of talent that can be successful in any scheme.

Very intriguing guy. The problem is, you'll likely have to wait 3+ years to get anything of value from him. That's an eternity.

Unless you believe he will replace Lynch and his brand new giant conract, which is a hard sell. I own the guy in a few leagues, but that's the reason I wouldn't go crazy on him. Anything can happen at any time, but there is no "natural" path for reasonable production for a long time.

possibility to lynch who is a grinding rb and has some miles is not totally out of the question... an injury to lynch and christine looks like top 10 potential... Guy has it man and have liked him before the draft.. Just pull up some highlights guy looks like barry sanders with a mean streak.

Christine Michael will get a chance sometime during the year. Seattle runs the ball a lot and if they find they can play both they will. This is going to happen but unless Lynch gets hurt I don't see Michael being fantasy relevant this year. Michael's dynasty draft position is pretty high right now. I am taking him late 1st/early 2nd, if he doesn't last I take someone else. I see owners taking him at spot 4/5/6 and I think this is too high when there are other players on the board still. In fantasy stud RB's are gold so I can see why owners are taking a chance on him that early. If I am in a IDP league I am letting him pass since there are good defensive players late in the first.

Very intriguing guy. The problem is, you'll likely have to wait 3+ years to get anything of value from him. That's an eternity.

Unless you believe he will replace Lynch and his brand new giant conract, which is a hard sell. I own the guy in a few leagues, but that's the reason I wouldn't go crazy on him. Anything can happen at any time, but there is no "natural" path for reasonable production for a long time.

possibility to lynch who is a grinding rb and has some miles is not totally out of the question... an injury to lynch and christine looks like top 10 potential... Guy has it man and have liked him before the draft.. Just pull up some highlights guy looks like barry sanders with a mean streak.

Lynch has 2 years left on his contract. He will be close to 30 by the end of it. If Lynch misses any time next year, due to injury, and this kid is as good as people think, then Lynch might not see the field again as a Seahawk. No way they extend him.

Even if Lynch doesn't get injured, they will have to kick the tires on Michael between now and the end of Lynch's contract.

Lynch has 2 years left on his contract. He will be close to 30 by the end of it. If Lynch misses any time next year, due to injury, and this kid is as good as people think, then Lynch might not see the field again as a Seahawk. No way they extend him.

Even if Lynch doesn't get injured, they will have to kick the tires on Michael between now and the end of Lynch's contract.

If I had a gun to my head and had to guess...

Lynch plays out this year and Michael gets experience in the system. He and Lynch begin to split carries in 2014 and start yielding more to him as the year goes on. Lynch doesn't get re-signed and walks in free agency to a team with RB needs or plays as a backup somewhere.

During this time Robert Turbin is re-upped to play a backup role in Seattle. He'll be allowed to test free agency but will come back when he doesn't get a starting gig.

In the meantime, if the Seahawks keep Spencer Ware on the roster it may be worth while to keep an eye on him. I've heard some pretty good things out of camp so far...

Lynch plays out this year and Michael gets experience in the system. He and Lynch begin to split carries in 2014 and start yielding more to him as the year goes on. Lynch doesn't get re-signed and walks in free agency to a team with RB needs or plays as a backup somewhere.

During this time Robert Turbin is re-upped to play a backup role in Seattle. He'll be allowed to test free agency but will come back when he doesn't get a starting gig.

In the meantime, if the Seahawks keep Spencer Ware on the roster it may be worth while to keep an eye on him. I've heard some pretty good things out of camp so far...

Lynch and Turbin are signed through 2015. Unless Lynch is released, it's likely 3 years until Michael can be full time.

Lynch and Turbin are signed through 2015. Unless Lynch is released, it's likely 3 years until Michael can be full time.

That's what I get for reading the quote above mine and not actually looking it up. :sadbanana:

Lynch could be a cap casualty any year.

Anyone could be. But barring complete failure, at 5 million a year, it's unlikely.

Here's his contract. I'm no capologist but doesn't seem so unlikely to me. Esp. in 2015 where he'll be making $7.5 M w/ a $9M cap hit. I'd say the chances of him being on the roster by then are not that high.

Year Base S. Bonus Misc. Cap Hit

2012 4,000,000 1,500,000 - 5,500,000 -

2013 7,000,000 1,500,000 - 8,500,000

2014 5,000,000 1,500,000 500,000 7,000,000 -

2015 5,500,000 1,500,000 2,000,000 9,000,000 -

2016 UFA

• $17 million guaranteed (2012-13 salaries, signing bonus)
  • Signing Bonus: $6 million
  • Incentives (2014-15): $1 million for 1,500+ yards
  • 2014 Roster Bonus: $500,000
  • 2015 Roster Bonus: $2 million

Coulda sworn he had only 2years left. I was wrong. But then again, at a $9 million cap number that third year he either restructures or is cut. Before now and then the Seahawks will have to see what Michael can do. Maybe not much this year unless he just plays out of his mind or an injury. But next year, the Seahawks will test him. Then again. If Lynch goes down this year with some sort of ailment, and Michael busts off 1K in like 7 games, they just might save themselves $16 million over two years and go with the rook who probably has a 4 year deal... $16 million can pay for some pretty talented FA's.

That's what I get for reading the quote above mine and not actually looking it up. :sadbanana:

I still like your timeline for Michael even despite the extra year on Lynch's contract. For Lynch to remain the starter over Michael in 2015 multiple things need to break right (or wrong if you're a Michael owner). First, he needs to be willing to restructure that $9mil final year of his contract, then he needs to stay healthy the entire year as a 29 y.o. RB that doesn't shy away from contact and third, he needs to match Michael's production stride for stride.

Is there not still a good chance, that Lynch is suspended for two misdemeanor charges: driving under the influence, and driving with a blood-alcohol level over the legal limit of 0.08 percent. He keeps delaying this but for how much longer. I think this could be his last year as a Seahawk. He is getting at least 8 IMO or a year because of the Buffalo incident also. What did Leonard Little get.

I would be buying Michel now before he shoots up in value next off-season. Seattle is bringing in other RB's for a big reason that are like Lynch because they like that game and know he is gone sooner rather than later.

Anyone could be. But barring complete failure, at 5 million a year, it's unlikely.

His going rate goes up after this year. Seattle is already in a tight cap situation and have young players that will need re-signed. Entirely possible he's given an ultimatum of restructure or be cut in any future years. Moot point if either Michael or Turbin are not healthy or don't pull their weight but if they prove capable it's absolutely a possibility.

His going rate goes up after this year. Seattle is already in a tight cap situation and have young players that will need re-signed. Entirely possible he's given an ultimatum of restructure or be cut in any future years. Moot point if either Michael or Turbin are not healthy or don't pull their weight but if they prove capable it's absolutely a possibility.

I think people are kidding themselves if they think Seattle is going to cut Lynch. I can think of a lot of other teams who might stand in line to sign him, including the other 3 teams in their division. I don't think it really matters what Michael and Turbin do. Lynch has had 17 100 yard games out of the last 27. The only person who might derail Lynch is himself, which of course, is certainly possible.

Is there not still a good chance, that Lynch is suspended for two misdemeanor charges: driving under the influence, and driving with a blood-alcohol level over the legal limit of 0.08 percent. He keeps delaying this but for how much longer. I think this could be his last year as a Seahawk. He is getting at least 8 IMO or a year because of the Buffalo incident also. What did Leonard Little get.

I would be buying Michel now before he shoots up in value next off-season. Seattle is bringing in other RB's for a big reason that are like Lynch because they like that game and know he is gone sooner rather than later.

Little was suspended for 8 games for his first offense, but then he did kill someone...

Isn't his hearing pushed back until like November? If he is convicted, Goodell is going to suspend him. If that happens in November, and IF Michael is a beast too, then he Lynch might be cut in the offseason and save the Seahawks 16 million over 2 years....

Little was suspended for 8 games for his first offense, but then he did kill someone...

Isn't his hearing pushed back until like November? If he is convicted, Goodell is going to suspend him. If that happens in November, and IF Michael is a beast too, then he Lynch might be cut in the offseason and save the Seahawks 16 million over 2 years....

I have a feeling he will be able to get it put off into next off-season. He still has the hit and run incident on his record and why I wonder about a year.

From TNT beat reporter Eric Williams on last night's game.

Perhaps the most impressive performance of all was rookie running back Christine Michael. He finished with 89 yards on 16 carries, including a long of 24 yards in the fourth quarter.

Michael seemed to get stronger as the night went on, and Carroll said he wanted to make sure to get the Texas A&M product into a rhythm.

“We weren’t going to get frustrated with what happened early, and just keep sticking to it,” Carroll said. “He bounced the ball well outside on his long run – had a couple of nice runs. He’s got a long way to go, but he ran hard, looked quick and made some guys miss. So I think it’s a very good first game for him.”

I agree with the bolded. Michael impressed me in many ways. Speed. Power. Elusive. Burst. I see now why people have been raving about him.

Perhaps the most impressive performance of all was rookie running back Christine Michael. He finished with 89 yards on 16 carries, including a long of 24 yards in the fourth quarter.

Michael seemed to get stronger as the night went on, and Carroll said he wanted to make sure to get the Texas A&M product into a rhythm.

“We weren’t going to get frustrated with what happened early, and just keep sticking to it,” Carroll said. “He bounced the ball well outside on his long run – had a couple of nice runs. He’s got a long way to go, but he ran hard, looked quick and made some guys miss. So I think it’s a very good first game for him.”

He got stronger as the night went on because the Charger 3rd and 4th stringers were gassed. Not to take anything away from him, but.....

We werent going to get frustrated with what happened early, and just keep sticking to it, Carroll said. He bounced the ball well outside on his long run had a couple of nice runs. Hes got a long way to go, but he ran hard, looked quick and made some guys miss. So I think its a very good first game for him.

He got stronger as the night went on because the Charger 3rd and 4th stringers were gassed. Not to take anything away from him, but.....

Yeah but they were all fresh and fighting for jobs...

We werent going to get frustrated with what happened early, and just keep sticking to it, Carroll said. He bounced the ball well outside on his long run had a couple of nice runs. Hes got a long way to go, but he ran hard, looked quick and made some guys miss. So I think its a very good first game for him.

No...they were not fresh. Seattle had the ball for over 20 min of the 2nd H and gained nearly 260 yds on 35 plays. SD went 3 and out 3 times, ran 6 plays and punted and had a 2 min TD drive. They were gassed and fighting for breath.

When Lynch's contract starts to balloon, they will cut him loose. Michael is the future. It is no different than Wilson behind Bradshaw, Miller behind Bush, Spiller behind Jackson. Talent rises to the top and will make older, more expensive RBs expendable. Lynch is the man for now but they will not pay him 15 mil a yr per his contract in 2015.

Michael led all RBS in 5 drills at combine. He is legit but needs to mature. The same thing they said about Lynch when he got drafted.

Took Christine at 1.10 and 2.01 in 12 team dynasty rookie drafts.

The contract information is interesting and also the DUI looming. Makes sense that they seize the opportunity for an insurance policy.

I just want to remind people that contracts can be restructured too.

Still a great prospect with a promising future. If that future is sooner then great but if drafting or trading for him you should be prepared to be patient for 2 years as Lynch is a quality RB and it is only one preseason game.

The contract information is interesting and also the DUI looming. Makes sense that they seize the opportunity for an insurance policy.

I just want to remind people that contracts can be restructured too.

Still a great prospect with a promising future. If that future is sooner then great but if drafting or trading for him you should be prepared to be patient for 2 years as Lynch is a quality RB and it is only one preseason game.

I agree 2-3 yr payoff along along same progression as Spiller. IN 2015 when Lynch contract balloons he will be 29 and they will have Michael going into his 3rd yr.

they are still 3rd and 4th stringers. I like this chick's prospects too, but I have a hard time getting excited over Michael running strong at the end of a preseason game.

they are still 3rd and 4th stringers. I like this chick's prospects too, but I have a hard time getting excited over Michael running strong at the end of a preseason game.

Also in regards to this argument, his blockers were 2nd/3rd/4th stringers.

We're normally so willing to 'accept' a player doesn't look great when his blocking is mediocre, whilst is most of preseason when the firsts go off.

Also in regards to this argument, his blockers were 2nd/3rd/4th stringers.

We're normally so willing to 'accept' a player doesn't look great when his blocking is mediocre, whilst is most of preseason when the firsts go off.

You must be an owner because anyone that pimps anyone in the preseason based on their 3/4 quarter statistics is completely out of touch. I own michael and I think he will be good but too me the second half of a preseason game does nothing to convince me one way or the other