What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone not like Eddie Lacy? (1 Viewer)

Legitimate question. Big RBs always scare me, even those with qick feet. It seems like their shelf life isn't as long in the NFL, Jerome Bettis notwithstanding. I think the bust factor is much higher with the Lacy type of RBs. Let's face it, you or I could gain a 1000 yards behind the line at Alabama. I know that Trent Richardson is a good back, but Eddie Lacy isn't Trent Richardson. Not to mention that Richardson averaged less than 4 yards a carry last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
He seems to be the best of an average lot at RB this season. He was a good player on a great college team.

His success will be determined by situation/opportunity, I dont think his talent will carry him if his situation is bad.

over rated. a monster o-line makes average RBs look like beasts. i don't think he'll be a bust but he's no sud either. not worth a 1st or even 2nd round draft grade imo.

His success will be determined by situation/opportunity, I dont think his talent will carry him if his situation is bad.
This seems about right. If Lacy was put in TRich's situation last year I would have expected worse numbers. If Lacy goes to a team that spreads the ball out (Falcons, Packers, etc.) then he could put respectable numbers right away.

It's odd to me when people bring up his O-line. There is plenty of tape consisting of Lacy creating yardage, independent of his line. But we're slowly coming around. I haven't heard the Shonne Greene/Brandon Jacobs talk for a while.

I would have been infinitely more comfortable if he had worked out and I knew what kind of athlete he was. Right now, I'd easily take Bernard if he were drafted into a better situation.

I worry that too much of his success was predicated on a dominant O-line. Not that it is generally a good idea to forego game resumes, but I am interested to see some of his #'s at his pro day before making a firm decision.

I guess I dont understand why Trent Richardson is given a pass on the "great o -line " argument, why is he given the benefit of the doubt and not Lacey? Yes Trent probably is more talented, but there have also been some NFL scouts quoted as saying Lacey might be a better pro than Trent or Ingram.

Maybe after his Alabam pro day, the Lacey doubters will silence.

Doug Martin wasnt a top 3 Dynasty pick at this time last year, I expect Lacey to have a similar type rise in value after the NFL draft.

Also, how would Alabama's o-line compare to numerous NFL O-lines? Can we really say the Alabama O-line from last year is better than any O-line in the NFL?

Maybe the Chicago Bears :excited: haha,

I think he's a mid 2nd/early 3rd type talent but will be drafted a bit higher due to such a weak rb class.

He's the best in a group of trash.

I think he's a mid 2nd/early 3rd type talent but will be drafted a bit higher due to such a weak rb class.
What keeps him from being a legit 1st rounder? What is he lacking, in your opinion?
Nobody can ever put it into words. Especially if they've seen his last 4-5 games of the season.The answer is "because I read that this class suxxs, and teams don't draft RB's in the 1st anymore!!"Except that they do, every year. And even when they come close to NOT doing it, the highest drafted RB's carry tremendous value.

What keeps him from being a legit 1st rounder? What is he lacking, in your opinion?
Speed, he'll run in the mid/late 4.5's at his pro day which equates to a 4.65+ "real" combine time.He doesn't really have good vision, he can see huge holes (like he saw all year), but when he doesn't have a 3-5 yard head of steam he actually goes down pretty easily for a guy his size. he almost never got touched in the backfield, that won't happen a lot in the NFL.He's a great college RB who had an amazing line. Those big guys look great when they don't get touched until they have a full head of steam, but if they get slowed down before gaining steam they sputter and can't create on their own.He's being hyped because there are no other RB's to get excited about in this class. Being the #1 RB in a class gets people excited when they don't look at it in context...the overall RB class is awful.

Nobody can ever put it into words. Especially if they've seen his last 4-5 games of the season.The answer is "because I read that this class suxxs, and teams don't draft RB's in the 1st anymore!!"Except that they do, every year. And even when they come close to NOT doing it, the highest drafted RB's carry tremendous value.
Agreed.There are plenty of good RB's who were taken in a spot that Lacy will be drafted.Doug Martin last year round 1 pick 31Ray Rice round 2 pick 24LeSean McCoy round 2 pick 24MJD round 2 pick 28

I guess I dont understand why Trent Richardson is given a pass on the "great o -line " argument, why is he given the benefit of the doubt and not Lacey? Yes Trent probably is more talented, but there have also been some NFL scouts quoted as saying Lacey might be a better pro than Trent or Ingram.

Doug Martin wasnt a top 3 Dynasty pick at this time last year, I expect Lacey to have a similar type rise in value after the NFL draft.

Also, how would Alabama's o-line compare to numerous NFL O-lines? Can we really say the Alabama O-line from last year is better than any O-line in the NFL?

What's the argument here? Doesn't matter if it isn't an NFL line... fact of the matter is that line was so much more dominate than other college players that you have to consider that when analyzing the running back. And I wouldn't be shocked to see the Alabama offensive line compare, either. There are three first round picks on that line... crazy.

Also, how would Alabama's o-line compare to numerous NFL O-lines? Can we really say the Alabama O-line from last year is better than any O-line in the NFL? Maybe the Chicago Bears :excited: haha,
Doesn't work that way. Bama's o-line plays against 1 or 2 DLinemen that will be drafted in the NFL. Pro Offensive Lines play against all NFL caliber D-lines. 95% of lines can't open holes big enough for a car like the Alabama line did against even the SEC.

Speed, he'll run in the mid/late 4.5's at his pro day which equates to a 4.65+ "real" combine time.He doesn't really have good vision, he can see huge holes (like he saw all year), but when he doesn't have a 3-5 yard head of steam he actually goes down pretty easily for a guy his size. he almost never got touched in the backfield, that won't happen a lot in the NFL.He's a great college RB who had an amazing line. Those big guys look great when they don't get touched until they have a full head of steam, but if they get slowed down before gaining steam they sputter and can't create on their own.He's being hyped because there are no other RB's to get excited about in this class. Being the #1 RB in a class gets people excited when they don't look at it in context...the overall RB class is awful.
Great post. I agree with all your points with the exception of there are no other RB's to get excited about. There are a few that will be solid pro's and will come at a decent-good value.

What's the argument here? Doesn't matter if it isn't an NFL line... fact of the matter is that line was so much more dominate than other college players that you have to consider that when analyzing the running back. And I wouldn't be shocked to see the Alabama offensive line compare, either. There are three first round picks on that line... crazy.
3? Maybe 2 ( Womak/Fluker) Highly doubt Barret Jones is a first rd pick

Nobody can ever put it into words. Especially if they've seen his last 4-5 games of the season.
I haven't seen many clearly expressed concerns, either. -The size thing is there - I get that. I don't mind his size or view it as a negative, but it's there. -The running style comments don't add up to me. He's not a bruiser at all. He can be, but he always looks to make people miss, and do so at a great rate.-The O-line argument is a cop out; are we just going to ignore everyone with a weekly talent advantage on their roster, especially at O-line? We would have missed out on The U backs (Gore, Willis, Portis), Peterson, Trent, Martin, and so on. That is what happens when you go to the best football teams in the country. On the other side, you play the LSU, Florida, Georgia, SCAR level defenses too. -To add to that, there is plenty of evidence that Lacy is not a system/O-line product. -Speed? I don't see it. He looks faster than Ingram and will run about what Doug Martin did, despite being bigger. Very fast for his size.-Ingram/Yeldon/Richardson. Cop out. Those are the concerns I have heard, and they really don't add up to me. My concerns, because he's not perfect: his footwork - while strong, especially for his size - can be sloppy at times. His initial burst is great for his size, but will it translate to the NFL? Can he be a 3rd down back? His hands look good, but they weren't tested much - did have a couple drops. His blocking was just okay, considering his size/strength. He can get a bit upright at times. He's a legit 1st round prospect, in my opinion. And I thought and said so before I saw a single mock with him going in the first.

Doesn't work that way. Bama's o-line plays against 1 or 2 DLinemen that will be drafted in the NFL. Pro Offensive Lines play against all NFL caliber D-lines. 95% of lines can't open holes big enough for a car like the Alabama line did against even the SEC.
There are plenty examples of Lacy making people miss, running them over, and running by them. There are plenty examples of him getting hit at the line and making something out of nothing. What more must he do? And LSU, Florida, ND, UGA, SCAR are nothing to sneeze at. He's not playing Wyoming, Idaho, Fresno, like Martin did at Boise st.

Speed, he'll run in the mid/late 4.5's at his pro day which equates to a 4.65+ "real" combine time.
He had plenty of long runs in the SEC. He looks really fast, faster than Ingram who posted a sub 4.65 time. His speed isn't an issue.
He doesn't really have good vision, he can see huge holes (like he saw all year), but when he doesn't have a 3-5 yard head of steam he actually goes down pretty easily for a guy his size. he almost never got touched in the backfield, that won't happen a lot in the NFL.
There are plenty of plays in which he was stuffed at the line and made something out of it. The UGA game had a good amount alone. He vision lacking is something new for me - hadn't heard it before and don't agree. He makes people miss, a lot, and you have to be able to see them to do that.
He's a great college RB who had an amazing line. Those big guys look great when they don't get touched until they have a full head of steam, but if they get slowed down before gaining steam they sputter and can't create on their own.RB class is awful.
There is TONS of footage of Lacy making poeple miss. Tons of footage of him getting hit at the line. I get that his O-line was great, so was Gore's, Peterson's, Martin's, Portis', Willis', Richardson's, etc. That's what happens when you play for this Bama team. You also have to play LSU, SCAR, UGA, FLA, etc.
He's being hyped because there are no other RB's to get excited about in this class. Being the #1 RB in a class gets people excited when they don't look at it in context...the overall RB class is awful.
I was hyped about him when Lattimore was healthy. I think he is being hyped because he destroyed two of the best defenses in the nation in back-to-back games. The UGA defense had as much NFL talent as any, and Lacy was a monster. His line isn't going to outrun defenders for him, or make them miss, or run them over.

The answer is "because I read that this class suxxs"
You will agree after the NFL draft when you see where these RB's get drafted.
I actually probably won't, even if you're right, because this class has really great value at CB, Safety, WR, etc. and it won't surprise me to see the best RB "pushed down" further than normal. I'll still believe in Lacy's talent. Now if he goes in the 3rd or after anyone else, I'll give it some serious thought. Because I don't think Ball, Bell, or Bernard are close.But for my money he goes between picks 20-45.

Agreed.There are plenty of good RB's who were taken in a spot that Lacy will be drafted.Doug Martin last year round 1 pick 31Ray Rice round 2 pick 24LeSean McCoy round 2 pick 24MJD round 2 pick 28
and there are a lot more who sucked drafted in that range.

What position do you guys think the Packers and Lions and Falcons need over running back? I can see the lions drafting a corner and the packers taking a Dtackle and Atlanta taking a linebacker for sure. But after that I'd say all those teams are heavily slanted towards drafting a running back in the first round. Assuming they don't make a splash in free agency with a Reggie Bush or Sjax of course.

What position do you guys think the Packers and Lions and Falcons need over running back? I can see the lions drafting a corner and the packers taking a Dtackle and Atlanta taking a linebacker for sure. But after that I'd say all those teams are heavily slanted towards drafting a running back in the first round. Assuming they don't make a splash in free agency with a Reggie Bush or Sjax of course.
There's no chance, barring a trade into the late 1st, that the Lions take a RB in the 1st this year. Packers and Falcons might but the Falcons need a TE more than RB.

There's no chance, barring a trade into the late 1st, that the Lions take a RB in the 1st this year. Packers and Falcons might but the Falcons need a TE more than RB.
And if Gonzo comes back? I can see them skipping TE for another year. But then if SJax signs with them, they might also wait on RB till 14 too...

And?My point was more so that if Lacy does not go in the middle of the first round then it does not mean that he can't be very sufficient in the NFL. I was just citing recent examples of studs that slipped intto the late first round and into the second round.

And if Gonzo comes back? I can see them skipping TE for another year. But then if SJax signs with them, they might also wait on RB till 14 too...
LB and other needs would arise over TE, but a two TE set with Roddy and Jones out wide would make Matt Ryan very happy.

I know he said 1st round but DET taking him with the 36th pick makes a lot of sense.

And?My point was more so that if Lacy does not go in the middle of the first round then it does not mean that he can't be very sufficient in the NFL. I was just citing recent examples of studs that slipped intto the late first round and into the second round.
Of course it doesn't mean that he can't be a good NFL player. It just means that he isn't thought of as a stud type lock RB like many seem to think. If he was thought of in that light he would be going in the top half of the first round.Solid RB's fall in the draft, but the ones who the NFL thinks are elite caliber guys still go in the top 15 picks, Lacy isn't one of those guys. he's more of a mid 2nd/3rd round talent and his risks correspond to that level of player.Some of the guys drafted in that range end up great players, but the majority fizzle out. That's about how i view Lacy, a guy who has some potential but the chance he ends up a stud are less then 50%.

I know he said 1st round but DET taking him with the 36th pick makes a lot of sense.
As a local,If the Lions took a running back at 36 I think most of the fans would be salty, salty, salty.

Of course it doesn't mean that he can't be a good NFL player. It just means that he isn't thought of as a stud type lock RB like many seem to think. If he was thought of in that light he would be going in the top half of the first round.

Solid RB's fall in the draft, but the ones who the NFL thinks are elite caliber guys still go in the top 15 picks, Lacy isn't one of those guys. he's more of a mid 2nd/3rd round talent and his risks correspond to that level of player.

Some of the guys drafted in that range end up great players, but the majority fizzle out. That's about how i view Lacy, a guy who has some potential but the chance he ends up a stud are less then 50%.
that's a cop out if i ever saw one... you've talk him down all thread and then you throw that in there. haha.tell us dr. moderator, is there something you see with his ankle that we don't know about?

Of course it doesn't mean that he can't be a good NFL player. It just means that he isn't thought of as a stud type lock RB like many seem to think. If he was thought of in that light he would be going in the top half of the first round.

Solid RB's fall in the draft, but the ones who the NFL thinks are elite caliber guys still go in the top 15 picks, Lacy isn't one of those guys. he's more of a mid 2nd/3rd round talent and his risks correspond to that level of player.

Some of the guys drafted in that range end up great players, but the majority fizzle out. That's about how i view Lacy, a guy who has some potential but the chance he ends up a stud are less then 50%.
that's a cop out if i ever saw one... you've talk him down all thread and then you throw that in there. haha.tell us dr. moderator, is there something you see with his ankle that we don't know about?
How is that a cop-out? I'm not 100% sure about any prospect, anyone who says they are is a fool. I think Lacy is over-rated based on what i've read on here, i don't think he's a horrible player with no shot to succeed. I know this might be shocking to some, but i've been wrong before, rarely, but it has happened.

Of course it doesn't mean that he can't be a good NFL player. It just means that he isn't thought of as a stud type lock RB like many seem to think. If he was thought of in that light he would be going in the top half of the first round.Solid RB's fall in the draft, but the ones who the NFL thinks are elite caliber guys still go in the top 15 picks, Lacy isn't one of those guys. he's more of a mid 2nd/3rd round talent and his risks correspond to that level of player.Some of the guys drafted in that range end up great players, but the majority fizzle out. That's about how i view Lacy, a guy who has some potential but the chance he ends up a stud are less then 50%.
It's probably not wise to bet against the FF Nostradamus, but I'd be willing to bet on Lacy's draft position. If he's drafted in the 1st round or first ten picks of 2nd round, I win. If anywhere later than that, you win. Interested?

It's probably not wise to bet against the FF Nostradamus, but I'd be willing to bet on Lacy's draft position. If he's drafted in the 1st round or first ten picks of 2nd round, I win. If anywhere later than that, you win. Interested?
I would bet against him going in the first round, wouldn't add in the first 10 picks of the 2nd round since i can bet via sportsbooks without giving the extra 10 picks.

I would bet against him going in the first round, wouldn't add in the first 10 picks of the 2nd round since i can bet via sportsbooks without giving the extra 10 picks.
Alright that's fine. What do you want to put at stake: sig, some cash, etc?

i only bet cash, not into sig bets or anything of that nature. You can PM me if you want to throw something on it, don't want to clog up the thread.

By the time the draft rolls around they could have Tony G back in the mix. There's also some pretty good TEs in the free agent class in Jared Cook, Martellus Bennett, Fred Davis, Duston Keller, maybe JerMichael Finley etc.

By the time the draft rolls around they could have Tony G back in the mix. There's also some pretty good TEs in the free agent class in Jared Cook, Martellus Bennett, Fred Davis, Duston Keller, maybe JerMichael Finley etc.
Indeed. Next week is going to be very interesting...

i only bet cash, not into sig bets or anything of that nature. You can PM me if you want to throw something on it, don't want to clog up the thread.
I won a bet here once and the guy actually mailed me $100. I wish I could remember who that was. A real stand up guy that I have a lot respect for. It would be easy for someone not to honor a bet made on a message board.

While I love Richardson from a talent perspective, it's interesting that he gets such a pass based on situations. He played for Alabama too, you know, yet he was great in spite of it even though his numbers Alabama weren't a standout amongst the other two Bama guys. Ingram/Lacy only put up great numbers because they played for Alabama, yet Richardson was great all on his own even though his numbers on that same Alabama team were worse than Lacy's and only marginally better than Ingram.

I'm a believer in Richardson so I'm not sure why I'm bringing this up, other to point out what a difference the eye test can make for us. When Richardson has been in a bad situation (Cleveland), he's done poorly. When he's been in a great situation (Bama) he's done well, but no better than two guys who are typically considered "good but nothing special" in that same situation.

It's worth noting that Lacy's career low YPC at Bama was higher than Richardson's career high.

Nobody can ever put it into words. Especially if they've seen his last 4-5 games of the season.
I haven't seen many clearly expressed concerns, either. -The size thing is there - I get that. I don't mind his size or view it as a negative, but it's there. -The running style comments don't add up to me. He's not a bruiser at all. He can be, but he always looks to make people miss, and do so at a great rate.-The O-line argument is a cop out; are we just going to ignore everyone with a weekly talent advantage on their roster, especially at O-line? We would have missed out on The U backs (Gore, Willis, Portis), Peterson, Trent, Martin, and so on. That is what happens when you go to the best football teams in the country. On the other side, you play the LSU, Florida, Georgia, SCAR level defenses too. -To add to that, there is plenty of evidence that Lacy is not a system/O-line product. -Speed? I don't see it. He looks faster than Ingram and will run about what Doug Martin did, despite being bigger. Very fast for his size.-Ingram/Yeldon/Richardson. Cop out. Those are the concerns I have heard, and they really don't add up to me. My concerns, because he's not perfect: his footwork - while strong, especially for his size - can be sloppy at times. His initial burst is great for his size, but will it translate to the NFL? Can he be a 3rd down back? His hands look good, but they weren't tested much - did have a couple drops. His blocking was just okay, considering his size/strength. He can get a bit upright at times. He's a legit 1st round prospect, in my opinion. And I thought and said so before I saw a single mock with him going in the first.
I agree with all that you said. Let me add though that he looks like Michael Bush with a little more explosiveness. I liked Bush so that's not a bad thing but I don't see an elite back in him either. I do think he's inconsistent and he doesn't look comfortable as a receiver.

I agree with all that you said. Let me know add though that he looks like Michael Bush with a little more explosiveness. I liked Bush so that's not a bad thing but I don't see an elite back in him either. I do think he's inconsistent and he doesn't look comfortable as a receiver.
I always try to ask a hypothetical question when developing rookie rankings; "Player X was a bust - why?" If I ask that with Lacy, I think you're right. I'd have to say "Lacy was a bust because his footwork wasn't consistent enough, his burst wasn't enough, and he was a liability on 3rd down."

Users who are viewing this thread