What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone not like Eddie Lacy? (1 Viewer)

he had a 4+ YPC for most of the period where the game was close. He had a few negative runs in the first couple drives and was less effective (although still converted first downs) when the game was out of hand and the Packers pounded the ball to kill clock. if you watched the game and took any negatives about Lacy out of it, I think you were watching the wrong game.

He isn't fast, but he isn't slow either. Somewhere comfortably between AP and Knowshon :) He is also a smart runner, who cuts very well, and has the swivel you like to see in a back. For a big back, while he runs with power, he really isn't just a brute back ... he creatively finds his holes and when there is someone in his way, he becomes a brute back.

I honestly don't understand, from an NFL team's standpoint, when you are up 3 scores, why you have your workhorse in when you are just runing into the line to run out the clock.

These guys take enough of a beating when the game is competitive. I own Lacy..I have just never understood this. Maybe its b/c I am a Spurs fan in the NBA and Pop always takes a full season, full career approach with his studs.
Yeah. I thought when they put in Starks in the 4th that was the end of the night for Lacy. He'd already had 20+ carries and GB had a 2 td lead vs an inept team. Made zero sense to run him out there so he could slam into a stacked line.
Starks had been in there for two full series in the late 3rd / early 4th. Plus, he's coming off an injured knee. Lacy was the only option to carry the ball late.

Last time they gave it to someone besides Starks/Lacy in game-killing mode was when they were holding a lead against the Bengals, driving in Bengals territory, with 5 minutes left on the clock. How did that turn out? Franklin fumbled the ball for a defensive score and they lost the game. I'm glad they didn't put Franklin in there. And there was nobody else to give it to at that point.

I find it funny that people are now complaining that they use Lacy TOO MUCH. Can't have it both ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly don't understand, from an NFL team's standpoint, when you are up 3 scores, why you have your workhorse in when you are just runing into the line to run out the clock.

These guys take enough of a beating when the game is competitive. I own Lacy..I have just never understood this. Maybe its b/c I am a Spurs fan in the NBA and Pop always takes a full season, full career approach with his studs.
Yeah. I thought when they put in Starks in the 4th that was the end of the night for Lacy. He'd already had 20+ carries and GB had a 2 td lead vs an inept team. Made zero sense to run him out there so he could slam into a stacked line.
Starks had been in there for two full series in the late 3rd / early 4th. Plus, he's coming off an injured knee. Lacy was the only option to carry the ball late.

Last time they gave it to someone besides Starks/Lacy in game-killing mode was when they were holding a lead against the Bengals, driving in Bengals territory, with 5 minutes left on the clock. How did that turn out? Franklin fumbled the ball for a defensive score and they lost the game. I'm glad they didn't put Franklin in there. And there was nobody else to give it to at that point.

I find it funny that people are now complaining that they use Lacy TOO MUCH. Can't have it both ways.
You don't want to kill the rookie halfway through the season.

There is a pretty big difference between the Bengals offence and the Vikings. Also, there were two series in the 4th Q when it was a 3 score game when Lacy amassed 10 touches. Completely unnecessary. Starks or Kuhn should have been in there to pound the ball.

Starks had 1 carry in the 4th and 4 in the 3rd. If that is too much of a workload for his knee, he shouldn't be dressed. Lacy is coming off a concussion. Call me crazy, but I'd rather risk Starks' knee than Lacy's head if I'm the Packers.

I'd understand keeping him in with a two score lead vs a competent team. But we're talking about the Vikings here.

I'd say this about any featured RB in the league. We've seen what happens when an RB goes over 400 touches. There is zero upside keeping them out there in situations like last night.

Don't feel like going back and finding my post in here, but I was WAY off on Lacy. Not only does he look amazing, but they've adapted their offense to be more focused on the run. Easy top 10 back, and a huge value in most drafts this year.

He can handle a heavy workload but arent you supposed to have around 100 yards if you get 30 carries?
Just looking at the stat line for ypc?

He was hit at or behind the line several times to start out.

Still ended up with a nice night showing good vision through the holes...and enough speed to get to the outside and turn nothing into something.
No i watched the game, he reminds me of Ricky Williams. But it wasnt the best game ive seen him play and i don't get all the chest pounding after last night. He had 30 carries.
The chest pounding is that he appears to be far and away the lead back on a great offense that is content giving him 30 carries. He is also becoming seemingly more involved in the pass game.

Even with Starks back and running well...Lacy still got the carries.

Probably felt better about him staying healthy than Starks taking that pounding.

he had a 4+ YPC for most of the period where the game was close. He had a few negative runs in the first couple drives and was less effective (although still converted first downs) when the game was out of hand and the Packers pounded the ball to kill clock. if you watched the game and took any negatives about Lacy out of it, I think you were watching the wrong game.

He isn't fast, but he isn't slow either. Somewhere comfortably between AP and Knowshon :) He is also a smart runner, who cuts very well, and has the swivel you like to see in a back. For a big back, while he runs with power, he really isn't just a brute back ... he creatively finds his holes and when there is someone in his way, he becomes a brute back.
When was this "period"?

Yes - I am sure whoever is playing against him in person or in FF doesn't like him.

Personally as an owner in two leagues I like him as friend, but not more than that.

You know why? Because it's the nfl. If you let up things like the Cowboy/Lions game happens. You have to play 60 minutes.

You know why? Because it's the nfl. If you let up things like the Cowboy/Lions game happens. You have to play 60 minutes.
So by putting in their backup RB they would no longer be playing 60 minutes? Er, wait a sec. That means that they haven't played a full 60 minutes this entire season! Why did they let up in the 2nd Q when they put Starks in?

Dodds has him as a RB1 for the rest of the season, which means those of us who drafted him in round 5+ got 2nd round value. Gotta love that!

At his press conference today McCarthy said they want to get the ball to Starks some more. Limited his carries yesterday because it was his first game back after missing 4 because of injury.

At his press conference today McCarthy said they want to get the ball to Starks some more. Limited his carries yesterday because it was his first game back after missing 4 because of injury.
I'm actually ok with this. He will spell Lacy and keep him fresher, and it won't be long before Starks is hurt again (sadly).

He can handle a heavy workload but arent you supposed to have around 100 yards if you get 30 carries?
Just looking at the stat line for ypc?

He was hit at or behind the line several times to start out.

Still ended up with a nice night showing good vision through the holes...and enough speed to get to the outside and turn nothing into something.
No i watched the game, he reminds me of Ricky Williams. But it wasnt the best game ive seen him play and i don't get all the chest pounding after last night. He had 30 carries.
What other RBs have had 30 carries this year (well, he had 29)? Or better yet, what other RBs have had 20+ carries in their last 4 games?

Im guessing its a short list. Lacy is one of the few workhorses left, and in a great offense current depleted at WR. No reason to not think his outlook is very promising right now.

OU#1 said:
Dodds has him as a RB1 for the rest of the season, which means those of us who drafted him in round 5+ got 2nd round value. Gotta love that!
Anybody who drafted him after the 2nd round got value with Lacy, even moreso considering how the 2nd/3rd round RB staples are underperforming. His ADP was late 3rd-early 4th by late August so pretty much everyone who took the chance on him still got a winning ticket.

Impressed with him. First guy never tackles him. Runs with power and authority unlike his other Bama RBs.

KingPrawn said:
Thanks for sharing this. I think Starks has showed really well in his touches all year long.

OU#1 said:
Anybody who drafted him after the 2nd round got value with Lacy, even moreso considering how the 2nd/3rd round RB staples are underperforming. His ADP was late 3rd-early 4th by late August so pretty much everyone who took the chance on him still got a winning ticket.
Yeah...he was my 3rd RB drafted (after Richardson and Bush). Lacy and Moreno have made up for the Trent bust pick.

KingPrawn said:
Thanks for sharing this. I think Starks has showed really well in his touches all year long.
He has...I don't think McCarthy's words do much to lessen Lacy's value...but may give Starks some bye week filler at a flex spot value here and there. Definitely looks like the handcuff to keep if you have the bench room for him.

KingPrawn said:
He has...I don't think McCarthy's words do much to lessen Lacy's value...but may give Starks some bye week filler at a flex spot value here and there. Definitely looks like the handcuff to keep if you have the bench room for him.
Not at all. Lacy is the guy and McCarthy doesn't use a RBBC. They are running enough for Lacy to get his 20-25 touches, and still leave 10 or so for Starks to keep Lacy fresh and healthy.

Especially now that he's getting more targets, Lacy is about as safe as they come, in terms of role.

Starks is running hard but I think his carries should be going to Jonathan Franklin. There has to be another reason Franklin is not getting some work.

Starks is running hard but I think his carries should be going to Jonathan Franklin. There has to be another reason Franklin is not getting some work.
Franklin did nothing in camp or pre-season. If Harris didn't go down, Franklin wouldn't be on the active roster. He looked good on the 13 carries, but I don't think it's good practice to let those 13 carries take the ball away from the guys who have shown more, over a longer stretch. The fumbles were an issue, too. I think they simply trust Lacy and Starks more than Franklin.

There is a pretty big difference between the Bengals offence and the Vikings. Also, there were two series in the 4th Q when it was a 3 score game when Lacy amassed 10 touches. Completely unnecessary. Starks or Kuhn should have been in there to pound the ball.

Starks had 1 carry in the 4th and 4 in the 3rd. If that is too much of a workload for his knee, he shouldn't be dressed. Lacy is coming off a concussion. Call me crazy, but I'd rather risk Starks' knee than Lacy's head if I'm the Packers.

I'd understand keeping him in with a two score lead vs a competent team. But we're talking about the Vikings here.

I'd say this about any featured RB in the league. We've seen what happens when an RB goes over 400 touches. There is zero upside keeping them out there in situations like last night.
Yea, this is a ridiculous post, sorry.

Half of the reason reason they drafted him was to put him in there in clock-killing mode after Rodgers builds a lead. They haven't had that clock-killing ability and it's cost them games the past few years. Now that we have him, we shouldn't use him for fear of injury? If McCarthy saw this post he would laugh in your face. This is Lacy's job. You can't play scared.

I, for one, am glad they finally got "the guy" in the backfield and I hope they feed him until he pukes when the Packers have a big lead.

Half of the reason reason they drafted him was to put him in there in clock-killing mode after Rodgers builds a lead. They haven't had that clock-killing ability and it's cost them games the past few years. Now that we have him, we shouldn't use him for fear of injury? If McCarthy saw this post he would laugh in your face. This is Lacy's job. You can't play scared.

I, for one, am glad they finally got "the guy" in the backfield and I hope they feed him until he pukes when the Packers have a big lead.
If Lacy had 18 touches on the day and they were up 2 scores vs Denver..sure..you pound your best RB in there.

He had 30 touches on the day, 4 minutes left against Minnesota. They were not grinding out first downs, they were running into the line 3 times and punting. Hell Minnesota had pulled AP for Gerhart at that point.

Run Kuhn into the line, run the dirty dead ghost of Dorsey Levens in there. It doesn’t matter.

Its not a big issue really, Ive just always found this curious. Preserve your beasts when you can.

Be glad they got their "guy" while you can. Pounding him 30+ touches a game is a quick way to make you look for another "guy". Are the Packers that scared of a pathetic Vikings team when they're up by 3 scores?

Fumbling...

Starks running well and hard...giving them more power plus some speed and he rarely puts the ball on the ground.

Concept Coop said:
sho nuff said:
Buck Bradcanon said:
KingPrawn said:
Not at all. Lacy is the guy and McCarthy doesn't use a RBBC. They are running enough for Lacy to get his 20-25 touches, and still leave 10 or so for Starks to keep Lacy fresh and healthy.

Especially now that he's getting more targets, Lacy is about as safe as they come, in terms of role.
I'm not sure you can make the statement that McCarthy doesn't use RBBC. Nothing to base that on. He's never had two backs with their capabilities before. Remember, coming out of training camp McCarthy stated that Starks was the starting RB. Lacy is still the back to own but I think Starks sees more carries from here on out. I think we see a 70% - 30% split or maybe even closer to 60/40.

They want Starks to have more carries because they want an overall higher volume of RB carries. Seems pretty simple. Doesn't represent a hit on Lacy's value. He will still be in at the goalline.

Don't feel like going back and finding my post in here, but I was WAY off on Lacy. Not only does he look amazing, but they've adapted their offense to be more focused on the run. Easy top 10 back, and a huge value in most drafts this year.
I didn't post in this thread, but I'm a convert as well. After owning Starks a few years ago, I swore never to own another Packers RB. I just couldn't take seeing them get inside the 10 and either go Kuhn or empty backfield. But shortly before the draft, I started coming around on him, and ended up drafting him in the 3rd round. Couldn't be more thrilled to have overcome my initial skepticism.

You know what makes me puke? Guys like you who are dishonest in a fantasy football league with access to Leaguesafe, CROOK

You know what makes me puke? Guys like you who are dishonest in a fantasy football league with access to Leaguesafe, CROOK
Oh Snap!

Lacy was inexplicably cut in my auction league last week. We do a silent auction each week for players. I think he goes for more than 20% of the total salary cap this weekend. I'm betting $24 or so. Which is nice for a team like me with great RB depth because at least two teams will be gutting rosters to gain the cap space for a shot at him.

Can't wait to see who is available next week!

Lacy was inexplicably cut in my auction league last week. We do a silent auction each week for players. I think he goes for more than 20% of the total salary cap this weekend. I'm betting $24 or so. Which is nice for a team like me with great RB depth because at least two teams will be gutting rosters to gain the cap space for a shot at him.

Can't wait to see who is available next week!
who the hell was he cut for?

I'm not sure you can make the statement that McCarthy doesn't use RBBC. Nothing to base that on. He's never had two backs with their capabilities before. Remember, coming out of training camp McCarthy stated that Starks was the starting RB. Lacy is still the back to own but I think Starks sees more carries from here on out. I think we see a 70% - 30% split or maybe even closer to 60/40.
I can base that on his past usage of RBs. Perhaps Starks is enough to change that, but I'm not counting on it. I'm fine with 70/30, as a Lacy owner. That's got to be pretty close to league average, and not what I'd call a RBBC. But 60/40 would be concerning.

And he named Harris the starter (not for the season); not Starks.

I can base that on his past usage of RBs. Perhaps Starks is enough to change that, but I'm not counting on it. I'm fine with 70/30, as a Lacy owner. That's got to be pretty close to league average, and not what I'd call a RBBC. But 60/40 would be concerning.
I agree. 70/30 is fine if they are running the ball 30-35 times a game, but what happens when they end up only run it 20 times a game? I've been really high on Lacy this past few weeks but I'm starting to get a little worried with how good Starks is looking. I was considering Lacy a top 5-8 back the ROS, but not so sure anymore. GB would be stupid to not use him more and their bound to have some games where they don't rush as much.

depends..Lacy and Starks carried the ball 36 times last week. If Lacy gets a 60% share that is still 21+ carries a game. If he gets that, plus a catch or two and the lions share of goal line work...I'm happy.

ETA: I don't have any doubt that Starks will get nicked up again in the next 2 weeks. Guy can't stay healthy.

Josh Meyer are you a Packer Fan? If so, you need to return your badge and gun to Lambeau Field immediately.

:popcorn:

I'm not involved in this, but I saw the following post in another forum.

This is a 12 team start-up, $306 buy-in. It's a group of owners that for the most part don't know each other. Because of this, it was decided to use LeagueSafe to manage the fees. The commish at the time (we'll call him "C" was unfamiliar with LeagueSafe, so another owner (his name is Josh Meyer - meyerj31@gmail.com) became Treasurer and set-up the LeagueSafe account (ONLY because the commish didn't know how).

We drafted back in February as soon as everyone was paid up - the deadline set in LeagueSafe was 3/1. A few months later, C needed to step down, so I stepped in for him as commissioner. On July 29th, a few weeks after this transition, Josh Meyer gave C commish powers in LeagueSafe. C immediately gave me commish powers, and I removed commish powers from both C and Josh Meyer.

Everyone was paid up, the deadline had passed, and I was the only person with access to league funds. As far as I was concerned, everything was fine with LeagueSafe until the end of the season.

Josh had a pretty good team on paper - but it was definitely a win now team. He had traded away his future 1st earlier in the year. He was fairly active in the off-season, but after the start of the regular season, he only made a few waiver-wire moves and trades. After week 6, when he was 2-4, he made a big trade. Josh traded Calvin and Terrance Williams to another owner (we'll call him "J") for Finley and Rice. (Keep in mind at the time that Johnson had missed a game, and Finley had just put up some huge numbers. The trade looks a lot different 2 weeks later)

Josh loses again and is now 2-5 with a win-now team that will need to be rebuilt. Low and behold - he didn't set his roster for week 8. He removed his contact info, and he didn't respond to anyone's attempts to contact him. Obviously, he dropped out of the league.

HERE IS WHERE THE $%#* HITS THE FAN

Somebody gets onto LeagueSafe and sees the following:

9/3/2013 Josh Meyer has left the league.

7/30/2013 Josh Meyer received a $306.00 refund.
That's right - the day after he transferred commish powers to me, Josh Meyers was able to get a refund from Leaguesafe. He then "left" our league account on LeagueSafe, but continued to set lineups, make trades, and add waivers for the first 7 weeks of the season. I'll get more into what's going on with LeagueSafe if anyone is interested. What happened appears in violation of their terms and conditions, but that's for another conversation.

So, we don't just have an owner that dropped out mid-season, we've got a guy who didn't have a right to be playing in the league anyway. The league by-laws are pretty extensive, but there's nothing in them for how to handle this extremely messed up circumstance. Being commish, and considering the implications, I decided it was best not to impose my will on this and discuss, as a league, how to handle it.

The main thoughts are:

A. Leave everything as-is, find a new owner, and move on.

B. Josh Meyer didn't have the right to be making roster moves once he got his refund. All of the player transactions he made after that point should be reversed. Games won/lost would remain the same, as per the league by-laws, I would've been setting the lineup for his team until a replacement could be found.

There's some pretty strong feelings on both sides. J feels like he's being punished if his trade is reversed. Others think that the only reason Josh Meyer made that trade was because he didn't care about the league and was trying to sabotage his team and the league. As commish, I want to be as fair as possible, but also keep the league together. I've gotten some flack for not stepping in immediately and making a decision one way or another.

So:

1. I want to warn everyone - be weary of Josh Meyer. His email is meyerj31@gmail.com. If he's in a league you commish - be VERY weary.

2. Did I do the right thing by getting input from my league mates, or as commish should I have made a decision immediately on this matter?

3. Given the circumstances, should the decision for how to proceed be from a league vote, or should I make it as commish?

4. If you were in this league, and this came to a vote which option would you choose (A or B)?

Personally, I think involving all league members in this, and putting it to a vote, was the best course of action. However, there is one owner in particular who is very upset about it, and may potentially leave depending on the outcome of the vote. I'd hate to see him go as he is a very passionate and active owner. I want to get feedback from others and get their input.

Thoughts?

How did you guys let him set lineups for 7 weeks? Seems like you guys didn't cover your bases. Not saying he's justified, but you've gotta keep schmucks in check.

EDIT: And probably just make a thread about it instead of clogging up multiple ones. :P

EDIT: And probably just make a thread about it instead of clogging up multiple ones. :P
That's basically on me. Enough people showed curiosity that I decided to post the full story. Probably should've linked, but not sure about etiquette of linking to another ff forum.

I'm impressed by Lacy, but not wowed. This has become one of the best run blocking units in the NFL. EVERYONE they put in the backfield is succeeding. Franklin looked great, Starks looks great, etc (both have a higher YPC I believe than Lacy). To me, Lacy should have a 5+ YPC with that line.

TRich would succeed with the holes that line is opening. Just sayin'...

I'm impressed by Lacy, but not wowed. This has become one of the best run blocking units in the NFL. EVERYONE they put in the backfield is succeeding. Franklin looked great, Starks looks great, etc (both have a higher YPC I believe than Lacy). To me, Lacy should have a 5+ YPC with that line.

TRich would succeed with the holes that line is opening. Just sayin'...
That's who Lacy is. He's not going to average 5+ YPC at this level (very few RBs have; ever). But he's going to be steady, productive, and handle the load. Plenty of NFL RBs have made a living doing just that (Rice, Martin, recently), and I expect Lacy to, too.

Also - I'd be careful using YPC when the usage and sample sizes are different. I remember Dallas Cowboys fans being excited about Troy Hambrick, and pointing to his 5+ YPC. That number dropped dramatically when he carried the full load. Tate/Foster, Piecrce/Rice - plenty of solid RBs provide less YPC than their backups. That's the nature of the stat. Getting 5YPC on fresh legs in the middle of the game is different than getting 5 YPC over the stretch of a game, on 25 carries, which include short yardage and grind out the clock work.

Users who are viewing this thread