Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

timschochet

Kobe Bryant

If he can come back form this injury, at 34 with 1400+ games on the odometer, that will be amazing.

Define "come back".

Wait. So the guy who was going to retire after next season has decided that he's going to come back in 2015 after all now that he ruptured his achilles?

And his team is going to eat that salary in the meantime?

Not buying it. He's toast.

The good news for Kobe fans, he should get the sentimental vote for 1st team all defense and first team all-nba.

I'm also amazed that JMon hasn't checked it even though he is on this basketball hiatus on the forum.

The good news for Kobe fans, he should get the sentimental vote for 1st team all defense and first team all-nba.

I'm also amazed that JMon hasn't checked it even though he is on this basketball hiatus on the forum.

Nah, he'll be locked up in his room weeping for the next month.

Kobe has been trying to do a Jordan impersonation his entire career. He'll get one last chance. People appreciate you more when you are not there. This gives him a chance for his "he's back" moment when he returns in 2015 at 36. Even lifelong Kobe haters, of which I've been most of his career, will find themselves rooting for him.

He'll be back, no way he goes out like that.

Even lifelong Kobe haters, of which I've been most of his career, will find themselves rooting for him.

I doubt it.

Nah, he'll be locked up in his room weeping for the next month.

Looks like hes shown up in the Lakers thread.

Even lifelong Kobe haters, of which I've been most of his career, will find themselves rooting for him.

I doubt it.
I'll be rooting for him to retire

How funny would it be if they amnesty him and use the money to get some backcourt depth (2 of Ellis, mayo, and Martin) then go win the title next year without him?

How funny would it be if they amnesty him and use the money to get some backcourt depth (2 of Ellis, mayo, and Martin) then go win the title next year without him?

If they win the title this year or next without him, nobody will be happier than Kobe. He's all about the team.

I hate to see any athlete get hurt but I have zero doubts he will be back.

Was wondering though,did they really call a foul on that play he got hurt?

Ref see's him go down and know right away that it has to be a foul!

Put me in the amnesty camp. Save $50M, re-sign him next summer, and make a run in 2015 with Dwight, Kobe at the point, and the beast LA scoops with the $ saved by amnestying Kobe.

Kobe's strange Facebook manifesto:

This is such BS! All the training and sacrifice just flew out the window with one step that I've done millions of times! The frustration is unbearable. The anger is rage. Why the hell did this happen ?!? Makes no damn sense. Now I'm supposed to come back from this and be the same player Or better at 35?!? How in the world am I supposed to do that??I have NO CLUE. Do I have the consistent will to overcome this thing? Maybe I should break out the rocking chair and reminisce on the career that was. Maybe this is how my book ends. Maybe Father Time has defeated me...Then again maybe not! It's 3:30am, my foot feels like dead weight, my head is spinning from the pain meds and I'm wide awake. Forgive my Venting but what's the purpose of social media if I won't bring it to you Real No Image?? Feels good to vent, let it out. To feel as if THIS is the WORST thing EVER! Because After ALL the venting, a real perspective sets in. There are far greater issues/challenges in the world then a torn achilles. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, find the silver lining and get to work with the same belief, same drive and same conviction as ever.One day, the beginning of a new career journey will commence. Today is NOT that day."If you see me in a fight with a bear, prey for the bear". Ive always loved that quote. Thats "mamba mentality" we don't quit, we don't cower, we don't run. We endure and conquer.I know it's a long post but I'm Facebook Venting LOL. Maybe now I can actually get some sleep and be excited for surgery tomorrow. First step of a new challenge.Guess I will be Coach Vino the rest of this season. I have faith in my teammates. They will come thru.Thank you for all your prayers and support. Much Love Always.Mamba Out

If he can come back form this injury, at 34 with 1400+ games on the odometer, that will be amazing.

Define "come back".

To get back to the same level of performance. Is that impossible?

If they win the title this year or next without him, nobody will be happier than Kobe. He's all about the team.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

This is such BS! All the training and sacrifice just flew out the window with one step that I've done millions of times! The frustration is unbearable. The anger is rage. Why the hell did this happen ?!? Makes no damn sense. Now I'm supposed to come back from this and be the same player Or better at 35?!? How in the world am I supposed to do that??I have NO CLUE. Do I have the consistent will to overcome this thing? Maybe I should break out the rocking chair and reminisce on the career that was. Maybe this is how my book ends. Maybe Father Time has defeated me...Then again maybe not! It's 3:30am, my foot feels like dead weight, my head is spinning from the pain meds and I'm wide awake. Forgive my Venting but what's the purpose of social media if I won't bring it to you Real No Image?? Feels good to vent, let it out. To feel as if THIS is the WORST thing EVER! Because After ALL the venting, a real perspective sets in. There are far greater issues/challenges in the world then a torn achilles. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, find the silver lining and get to work with the same belief, same drive and same conviction as ever.One day, the beginning of a new career journey will commence. Today is NOT that day."If you see me in a fight with a bear, prey for the bear". Ive always loved that quote. Thats "mamba mentality" we don't quit, we don't cower, we don't run. We endure and conquer.I know it's a long post but I'm Facebook Venting LOL. Maybe now I can actually get some sleep and be excited for surgery tomorrow. First step of a new challenge.Guess I will be Coach Vino the rest of this season. I have faith in my teammates. They will come thru.Thank you for all your prayers and support. Much Love Always.Mamba Out

Strange? I think it's great. He is being honest. And determined. He consistently lives up to the greatness that I have always believed he has. This is yet another reason why he's perhaps my favorite athlete of all time. What more could you want?

Strange? I think it's great. He is being honest. And determined. He consistently lives up to the greatness that I have always believed he has. This is yet another reason why he's perhaps my favorite athlete of all time. What more could you want?

Sometimes less is more.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9167365/los-angeles-lakers-guard-kobe-bryant-achilles-injury-signal-end-lakers-era

There are some injuries you watch once and never want to see again. Kevin Ware's leg violently breaking. Joe Theismann's leg snapping in half under the weight of Lawrence Taylor. One look and the devastation is nauseatingly real.

Then there are the injuries you watch a hundred times and still can't believe.

No matter how many times you see the play of Kobe Bryant falling to the ground, grabbing the back of his left foot and grimacing in the fourth quarter of the Lakers' stirring victory over the Golden State Warriors on Friday night, it doesn't look like what it could end up being.

The end of an era.

The end of his ride.

The end.

In the blink of an eye, everything changed for Kobe Bryant and the Lakers.

It says here that it won't be the end because the man himself -- in an angry but determined haze at 3:30 in the morning Saturday -- vowed that he will be back from what appears to be a torn Achilles tendon injury. That this won't be the way he goes out.

"One day, the beginning of a new career journey will commence." Bryant wrote on his Facebook page early Saturday morning. "Today is NOT that day."

For as long as he feels that way, and for as long as he can still summon that fire, he has earned the benefit of everybody's doubt. The troubling part, though, is that it's not everybody else's doubt Bryant is actually worried about.

It's his own.

"Do I have the consistent will to overcome this thing?" Bryant wrote in a gut-wrenching late-night post. "Maybe I should break out the rocking chair and reminisce on the career that was. Maybe this is how my book ends. Maybe Father Time has defeated me.

"Then again maybe not!"

As sure as he will always be of his own will and ability, when something like this happens, it is impossible to feel certain of anything anymore.

The sheer randomness of the injury is what's so terrifying. The play on which Bryant popped his Achilles' tendon Friday night was a routine one for him. A step he has "done millions of times!"

In Bryant's mind, he can conquer everything, even randomness, with his will, passion and fire.

He is different. He is better. He is not human.

Until one night he is.

It is the senselessness of it, the randomness of it, that cuts so deeply.

Because it is that deep faith in his own exceptionalism that has always given Bryant his edge. Injuries such as this happen to other people, not to him.

Yes, he works harder than just about any other athlete in the game to back that up. The stories about his legendary work ethic are all true. The six-hour shooting sessions in the middle of the night. The 40-mile bike rides through the desert. The maniacal early-morning conditioning sessions. All true.

But the belief comes first, then the magic.

The Lakers hold on to that same kind of faith. It's why Bryant is such a perfect torchbearer for this franchise.

They are different. They are special. They always find a way.

These are core beliefs inside the franchise and among its loyal fan base.

But the past couple of seasons, those beliefs have all been called into question, too.

First came the disappointing end to Phil Jackson's tenure in 2011. He deserved a happy ending, or at least better than an embarrassing four-game sweep at the hands of the Dallas Mavericks. And until the final buzzer sounded that year, the Lakers and their fans clung to the belief that the basketball gods who govern such things wouldn't let him go out like that.

Until he did.

Next came the failed trade for Chris Paul and NBA commissioner David Stern's decision to cancel it, as acting owner of the league-owned Hornets.

Things like that are supposed to happen to other teams, not to the Lakers. Breaks like that go for them, not against them. And the prized player most certainly doesn't end up down the hall, in the Clippers locker room.

Until he did.

When the Lakers came back this summer with trades for Steve Nash and Dwight Howard, all felt right again. Faith was restored. The Lakers were exceptional again. Special. They always found a way.

Until it all fell apart two games into the season, when Nash broke his leg.

Bryant has been the constant through all these crises of confidence. It was his will that held the team together and the force of his spirit that guided the franchise in the dark days after owner Jerry Buss passed away this February.

Bryant was the link. The one who knew what it meant to be a Laker and most deeply understood why they are special.

The one who kept the faith of the faithful.

Without him, it's not clear what happens next. Buss is gone. Jackson is retired. Magic Johnson is busy owning the Dodgers. Derek Fisher is in Oklahoma City. Pau Gasol probably makes too much money to stay another year. Dwight Howard hasn't said this is for him, or proved himself ready to carry the mantle yet.

All of those thoughts surely raced through Bryant's head late Friday night. His fears, his doubts, his emotions were raw. He was angry. He was devastated. He couldn't sleep.

"The frustration is unbearable. The anger is rage. Why the hell did this happen ?!?" he wrote. "Now I'm supposed to come back from this and be the same player or better at [age] 35?!? How in the world am I supposed to do that??

"[it] feels good to vent, let it out. To feel as if THIS is the WORST thing EVER! Because After ALL the venting, a real perspective sets in. There are far greater issues/challenges in the world then a torn achilles. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, find the silver lining and get to work with the same belief, same drive and same conviction as ever."

That belief has sustained him a good long while. That drive has given him his edge. That conviction has rarely wavered.

It is both his greatest strength and his deepest weakness. The one spot he can be wounded. His Achilles' heel.

Bryant has been the constant through all these crises of confidence. It was his will that held the team together and the force of his spirit that guided the franchise

It feels like I wrote this. My thoughts exactly.

Bryant has been the constant through all these crises of confidence. It was his will that held the team together and the force of his spirit that guided the franchise as they fought for the 8 seed It feels like I wrote this. My thoughts exactly.

Fixed.

Bryant has been the constant through all these crises of confidence. It was his will that held the team together and the force of his spirit that guided the franchise It feels like I wrote this. My thoughts exactly.

Sounds like he saved a nation of starving children when you say it that way.

Put me in the amnesty camp. Save $50M, re-sign him next summer, and make a run in 2015 with Dwight, Kobe at the point, and the beast LA scoops with the $ saved by amnestying Kobe.

That makes them exactly what they are this year, a borderline playoff team.

If he gets a single all defensive team vote this season, I think you can pretty much ignore the award completely. He's been completely awful on that end all season.

However, I really think going forward that this is appropriate how his career should end. Kobe work ethic and drive is amazing and admirable, but it comes with a stubbornness and selfishness that are ultimately his downfall. The injury pretty much an overuse injury and he desire to play over 40 minutes a night the past month are admirable, but it's just not smart. I'm pretty sure he tries to comeback and really hope he does, but this is pretty much the end for him playing at a level that isn't going to make him incredibly frustrated.

edit: basically wanted to say that I think it is appropriate that kobe basically is the reverse of the mind will quit before the body does.

Define "come back".

To get back to the same level of performance. Is that impossible?

You're right. That would be amazing.

i never liked kobme and altho i never root for anyone to get hurt i will say this brohans karma has a way of catching up with you if you are a guy who cheats on your wife or who may have raped someone then i think in the end you are going to get yours and in my heart of hearts i do not even think that this is his come uppince i think there is worst stuf out there for him weather it is here or when he has to face the big kahuna upstairs and i will tell you what you can not buy the big cheese a nice rock and have him look the other way and i will also tell you this you can not just get his name tatood on your arm and say hey sorry colorado cops god is not talking see brohans it does not work that way when you are dealing with walks between the eternities so yeah whatever he will come back because he loves him self so much but at the end of the day no matter what he does or if he passes mj on the scoring list he is still a steaming pile as a human and sorry brohan would not want to be you take that to the bank bam right there last of the brohicans

Is this the same ankle he injured earlier in the thread?

I'll be looking fwd to his swedish fish update next week.

That makes them exactly what they are this year, a borderline playoff team.

Kobe's best chance to win another championship is to sign for the veteran minimum with the Heat or Thunder.

I look forward to the Lakers playing great team basketball like they did @ Indiana. Their best victory of the season.

It is unfortunate Kobe never bought into the team concept this year and they were even in a position of having to be in this must-win game to simply get into the playoffs.

Good luck Kobe. The odds are great that you'll return in your late 30's good as ever.

God Bless.

His facebook post was classic and reads like this.

Me,me,me more me,poor me,what will I do,me,me me.

Oh yeah,go team.

Signed,me

I look forward to the Lakers playing great team basketball like they did @ Indiana. Their best victory of the season. It is unfortunate Kobe never bought into the team concept this year and they were even in a position of having to be in this must-win game to simply get into the playoffs. Good luck Kobe. The odds are great that you'll return in your late 30's good as ever. God Bless.

So what non-PG do you think did buy into the team concept this year, since Kobe is second only to LeBron in assists by non-PGs this season at 6 per game.

His facebook post was classic and reads like this. Me,me,me more me,poor me,what will I do,me,me me. Oh yeah,go team. Signed,me

Basically.

His facebook post was classic and reads like this. Me,me,me more me,poor me,what will I do,me,me me. Oh yeah,go team. Signed,me

Basically.

Who should he post about on his Facebook account?

I look forward to the Lakers playing great team basketball like they did @ Indiana. Their best victory of the season. It is unfortunate Kobe never bought into the team concept this year and they were even in a position of having to be in this must-win game to simply get into the playoffs. Good luck Kobe. The odds are great that you'll return in your late 30's good as ever. God Bless.

On offense, he had some really good team-concept games in the second half of the season. Maybe Nash and coach D had an influence on him. Unfortunately, he still had too many inefficient hero games. This was his best season since about 2008-2009.

Basically.

Who should he post about on his Facebook account?

Just thought it was a nice touch to eventually mention his team.

So what non-PG do you think did buy into the team concept this year, since Kobe is second only to LeBron in assists by non-PGs this season at 6 per game.

:wall:

. Unfortunately, he still had too many inefficient hero games.

:goodposting:

Individually, Kobe very well just had his best season since 2008-09. Hero ball isn't going to win him (or Melo) any titles against the league's elite.

I think they save at least $80M on the LT alone. Might be $100M.

I want to start ending all my facebook posts with Mamba Out.

lolololololololol

"its either me or Shaq" - Kobe

Coach Kobe should propel the Lakers to a championship. :excited:

OMGOMGOMGOMG

Guy is having a bad month:

Kobe Bryant filed a cease-and-desist order on the auction house his mother hired to sell his stuff from high school. From the Philadelphia Inquirer:

... Until Pamela Bryant, Kobe Bryant's mother, wanted to auction it off for an expected $1.5 million so she could use the money to buy a house in Nevada.

That's when the Los Angeles Lakers shooting star (and Lower Merion High School basketball phenomenon) put the brakes on the idea, sending a cease-and-desist letter to the auctioneer, Goldin Auctions LLC of West Berlin.

The 42 items of merchandise, which include several Lower Merion uniforms worn by the player and two 2000 Lakers Championship rings designed for his parents, were to go up for auction in June, each authenticated as genuine by Pamela Bryant.

In a tale of what can happen when adult children move on but leave behind their "treasures," Goldin filed suit asking the judge to clarify ownership of the memorabilia and clear the way for the auction.

"A team-issued championship ring is among the most treasured of all sports collectibles and the opportunity to own one from an active player as significant as Kobe Bryant is rare," company founder Ken Goldin said in an April 30 news release announcing the auction of the memorabilia.

"Normally, items like these can only be viewed in a museum or the Hall of Fame," he said. "We are honored to be able to make these offerings to collectors around the world."

Kobe Bryant's Los Angeles lawyer, Mark Campbell of Loeb & Loeb LLP, was considerably less communicative. "Mr. Bryant's personal property has ended up in the possession of someone who does not lawfully own it," the law firm said in an emailed statement.

"We look forward to resolving this legal matter through the legal system. There will be no further comment at this time."

"... someone who does not lawfully own it."

Dang. That's his mom, after all.

Meanwhile, via the AP, the auction house is counter-suing:

"A New Jersey auction house filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Camden on Thursday for the right to sell the stuff after the NBA star's lawyers wrote the firm telling it to cancel a planned June auction.
In this case, the 900 mementoes happen to be worth upward of $1.5 million."

Also odd since Bryant has largely put separation between himself and his time in the Philadelphia area. I'm also a fan of the last line of the article.

"Kobe Bryant did not respond to a Twitter request seeking comment."

Anyway, I'd be pretty mad if my mom tried to sell my stuff from high school without my permission, too. Of course, I also might come pick it up at some point since it was 16 years ago.

Guy is having a bad month:

Kobe Bryant filed a cease-and-desist order on the auction house his mother hired to sell his stuff from high school. From the Philadelphia Inquirer:

... Until Pamela Bryant, Kobe Bryant's mother, wanted to auction it off for an expected $1.5 million so she could use the money to buy a house in Nevada.

That's when the Los Angeles Lakers shooting star (and Lower Merion High School basketball phenomenon) put the brakes on the idea, sending a cease-and-desist letter to the auctioneer, Goldin Auctions LLC of West Berlin.

The 42 items of merchandise, which include several Lower Merion uniforms worn by the player and two 2000 Lakers Championship rings designed for his parents, were to go up for auction in June, each authenticated as genuine by Pamela Bryant.

In a tale of what can happen when adult children move on but leave behind their "treasures," Goldin filed suit asking the judge to clarify ownership of the memorabilia and clear the way for the auction.

"A team-issued championship ring is among the most treasured of all sports collectibles and the opportunity to own one from an active player as significant as Kobe Bryant is rare," company founder Ken Goldin said in an April 30 news release announcing the auction of the memorabilia.

"Normally, items like these can only be viewed in a museum or the Hall of Fame," he said. "We are honored to be able to make these offerings to collectors around the world."

Kobe Bryant's Los Angeles lawyer, Mark Campbell of Loeb & Loeb LLP, was considerably less communicative. "Mr. Bryant's personal property has ended up in the possession of someone who does not lawfully own it," the law firm said in an emailed statement.

"We look forward to resolving this legal matter through the legal system. There will be no further comment at this time."

"... someone who does not lawfully own it."

Dang. That's his mom, after all.

Meanwhile, via the AP, the auction house is counter-suing:

p>

"A New Jersey auction house filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Camden on Thursday for the right to sell the stuff after the NBA star's lawyers wrote the firm telling it to cancel a planned June auction.
In this case, the 900 mementoes happen to be worth upward of $1.5 million."

Also odd since Bryant has largely put separation between himself and his time in the Philadelphia area. I'm also a fan of the last line of the article.

"Kobe Bryant did not respond to a Twitter request seeking comment."

Anyway, I'd be pretty mad if my mom tried to sell my stuff from high school without my permission, too. Of course, I also might come pick it up at some point since it was 16 years ago.

File this under "my parents threw out my baseball cards."