What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Delanie Walker to the Titans is big (1 Viewer)

jdoggydogg

Footballguy
Saw this in a FF e-mail today. I won't list the site because I think this is terrible:

The Titans have signed TE Delanie Walker to a 4-year deal. We've always been intrigued by Walker's ability, but he's been stuck behind Vernon Davis in San Fran. He'll step in as the starting TE in Tennessee. Walker isn't as talented as Cook, though, who could never emerge as a consistent fantasy option with the Titans. That makes it tough to get excited about Walker's outlook.
No. This is awful. Delanie Walker is no scrub. While the 49ers waited for Vernon Davis to mature, Walker was the more polished receiver - even as a rookie. The facile argument is that Walker is a step down from Cook because Cook is more talented. I think Walker steps right in as a solid sleeper TE in a position that was very weak in 2012.

From ProFootballWeekly.com:

Very well-sculpted with thick musculature. Looks every bit the part — likes the weight room and it shows. Tough and fearless entering traffic. Strong on contact and can maintain balance after the catch and power through arm tackles. Highly competitive with the ball in his hands and does not go down easy. Strong red-zone target. Excellent speed for his size (converted college receiver) — can stretch the seam and beat man coverage. Can swing his hips and seal edges. Functional base blocker in pass protection. Extremely versatile — has lined up at TE, WR, RB, FB, H-back and OLT positions and has handled a variety of assignments, including as a kickoff returner. Very hardworking and committed.

I've always liked Walker and have had him numerous times as a speculative add on my dynasty rosters.

I like Cook as well, drafted him in the 2nd round in one league... but we don't know just how talented or not talented he is yet. We know he is fast. Most seem to assume he must be really good, but obviously underused so far... As a Rams fan, I hope that is true. But I don't see it as the given that some pundits seem to think it is. He is a minus as a blocker, as opposed to Walker who does it all and is a special teams ace as well.

According to Pro Football Focus, Walker had the worst drop rate in the NFL, as he dropped nine of the 37 passes intended for him during the regular season. Walker also had two clear drops in the 49ers' opening playoff game against the Green Bay Packers. Walker caught 21 passes for 344 yards and three touchdowns this season.

According to Pro Football Focus, Walker had the worst drop rate in the NFL, as he dropped nine of the 37 passes intended for him during the regular season. Walker also had two clear drops in the 49ers' opening playoff game against the Green Bay Packers. Walker caught 21 passes for 344 yards and three touchdowns this season.
THIS. Walker has terrible hands. He'll have more real-life value as a blocker and special teamer.

The write up is from draft sharks....... Fwiw. I got the same email

I like walker also, he can make an impact in tn....

Walker is a replacement-level player, if that. He's been in the league 7 years and his best total so far is 344 yards and 3 TDs.

How many TEs have a breakout year at age 29?

Walker is a replacement-level player, if that. He's been in the league 7 years and his best total so far is 344 yards and 3 TDs.How many TEs have a breakout year at age 29?
Dallas Clark (28 was his first good season and even that wasn't great at 58/616)

Walker is a decent TE but won't be an impact pass catcher, and TEN is hoping Taylor Thompson eventually becomes their primary TE. Walker is just a guy.

I agree with the OP, I think Walker could shine if given the chance, the drops are a definitely a legit concern though.

Titans have always loved TEs that can block. They have Craig Stevens, Brandon Barden, Beau Brinkley and Taylor THompson on Roster after Cook's departure. I for one have not heard about the B's catching any balls. IMHO Walker is an insurance policy against Thompson developing slowly.

Could also be that the Titans want to have two blocking TEs on the field, both who can catch (Stevens and Walker), while they threaten vertically with Britt and Wright, and still with the possibility of springing CJ. Hopefully this will allow a more creative O

Last edited by a moderator:
Walker is a replacement-level player, if that. He's been in the league 7 years and his best total so far is 344 yards and 3 TDs.How many TEs have a breakout year at age 29?
Dallas Clark (28 was his first good season and even that wasn't great at 58/616)
yeah and clark had arguably one of the best qbs ever throwing to him.
Clark also had three seasons better than Walker's best season before age 28. And age 28 was his fifth year in the league, not his eighth.

Dallas Clark was a top 5 TE his 5th year.How abouthttp://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/ShulMi00.htm

I think A Fasano is the better cheap FA pickup. Not much better but he is usually good at the goal line. His TD numbers are not great but it was Miami. It's a coin flip if A Smith likes Moeaki over Fasano. Walker also has to contend with Thompson and C Stevens who will see a pass or two every game.

This isn't considerable news as it's presented. Like many said, the most he had was about a 330 yard season.

Craig Stevens is certainly capable of that if he's going to be the receiving TE too and he's an awesome blocker.

Walker is a fun sleeper candidate thought like he finally becomes something special. There is in no way a big commitment here by the Titans. He could be cut and not missed.

They could still go after a TE that is considerably better and an obvious starter.

Cook was a pain with his never reaching his potential and sometimes ridiculously bad blocking. Even when he had a good game, he seemed to irritate folks soon after. He was a very slow learner that often caught on by December, instead of during camp, and would suddenly produce then.

Before Cook, the Titans had a very solid respectable TE for many many years and they were key cogs to an offense that hasn't really had great WRs since Moon. Cook was a homerun swing and a miss.

They need to decide what they're doing here. Going back to the old ways or making Stevens a sixth lineman on most plays.

The Titans went away from their longtime FB not too long ago too. There's definitely a need here for a quality extra blocker that the O is used to.

When CJ runs outside, the Titans need speed from their blockers to get there. It's not such an easy commodity to find and they often struggle with it.

THIS. Walker has terrible hands. He'll have more real-life value as a blocker and special teamer.
37 is a small sample size to compare to like 100 for others. 21 of 37 isn't too good, I'm not singing the guys praises.Walker does not seem to have the mentality to be a backup. His drops often come when he first gets going and it's kind of annoying.

I would guess he gets cut, not that he makes the Titans.

yeah and clark had arguably one of the best qbs ever throwing to him.
Clark also had three seasons better than Walker's best season before age 28. And age 28 was his fifth year in the league, not his eighth.
CB, you asked have any tight ends broken out at age 29. That question is obviously looking to see if Walker has any hope. So, technically, no, Walker and Clark don't completely compare. But come on. Until his fifth year, he never caught more than 37 balls and never hit 500 yards. Are you really trying to suggest that's any good by saying it's better than Walker? He had Peyton throwing to him for those first years and wasn't playing alongside a sixth overall pick at the TE spot. The fact he only bested him by 100 yards is meaningless. Most players don't take five years to break out. And even then, it was TDs that year where he excelled. So it was still more his sixth year that opened eye.Either way, he's SOMEWHAT of a reasonable comp to suggest it's at least possible answering your question above. If you want to argue that it's not because Clark had 488 yards which is so much better than Walker's 344 yards, knock yourself out.

I'm not banging the Walker drum here, but drop rate is a subjective stat and varies wildly year to year.

No doubt he was terrible last year, but sample size caveats apply. Walker had between 9.5% and 12.6% drop% in 2011 (depending on source) and the only number I found for 2010 is 4.7%.

As far as not having a breakout year, well, being drafted in the 6th round the same year that your team also drafted Vernon Davis with pick 1.06 might have something to do with it? Opportunity matters. All we really know is that Vernon Davis is better than Delanie Walker. Food for thought.

I think Walker will be used mostly as a blocking TE.Gentlemen, remember the name.....

Taylor Thompson

I think Walker will be used mostly as a blocking TE.Gentlemen, remember the name.....

Taylor Thompson
That's the thing, though, Walker is small for a TE. 6'1", 240 or so. There are much better blocking TEs out there. Walker has great speed and athleticism, he had to develop into an adequate/decent blocker. Blocking is not really his best attribute.He has filled in at FB, though, and Tenn could use a FB...

If they underused Cook what makes you think they'll use Walker?
You name a mistake a TE can make and Cook made it. He was his own worst enemy. If he rocked early on in the season, he'd probably have tons better stats than he ever had. He often seemed to do well as the year closed.Ya can't forget he's had 3 or 4 OC and two of which have had huge success with TEs, not to mention two HC already-not only did he not develop into the TE the Titans wanted, but every one of them played Craig Stevens more than him. A new team is surely no indicator of him suddenly producing well.Gimmicky sort of experiment where he played slot WR was when I liked him best as a receiver. When Fisher was there, they had him occasionally run n block with speedy CJ like just the two of them and man oh man if he'd only nail one block. He is one frustrating TE.If the play were designed well, and a speedy back with him, Cook could be an absolute nightmare of a blocker-good luck keeping up and good luck getting to the RB, but he whiffs so bad or pushes "like a girl" and....grrr you can so see this lane of freedom for the back and he just wrecks it with those failed blocks. This was something Fisher spoke of on draft day(using him to block in open field) and I have no doubt he'll do that in STL.Bradford to Gresham was nice. The Rams have been trying to get him a TE, failed, and he's used the slot a ton. Cook has to grow up quick and be able to be relied upon. Bradford puts total faith in that spot and isn't afraid to(and does at times) look terrible doing it. When Clayton and Amendola were on, he just fired it and they got it. The Titans never showed that much faith in Cook nor did he show he deserved it. It is so very much "put up or shut up" time for Cook and I think you have to rank him very high for FF. I don't have confidence in him, but the targets will be there and a top TE is such a gem in FF.

Taylor Thompson
That's the thing, though, Walker is small for a TE. 6'1", 240 or so. There are much better blocking TEs out there. Walker has great speed and athleticism, he had to develop into an adequate/decent blocker. Blocking is not really his best attribute.He has filled in at FB, though, and Tenn could use a FB...
this stretch of the thread is odd.Titans resigned their (fairly) new FB.

They have one of the best blocking TEs in the NFL in Craig Stevens- a player they have even discussed playing on the OL when they went through injury struggles.

Taylor Thompson was a college DE that is a total "heh let's give it a shot" type project. He was a fifth round pick that received a (relatively) small contract and had zero impact on the team. He's athletic and that's why he's getting a chance, but he will not go from college DE to stud NFL TE in two years.

I think the point is there won't be any stud TE's-FF wise- for the Titan's. Locker will spread the ball around. Between Brit, Wright, Washington, and C Johnson. What's left for the TE's? If you have one clear defined TE starter for Tenn you might get a starter FF TE.

Taylor Thompson

They have one of the best blocking TEs in the NFL in Craig Stevens- a player they have even discussed playing on the OL when they went through injury struggles.

Taylor Thompson was a college DE that is a total "heh let's give it a shot" type project. He was a fifth round pick that received a (relatively) small contract and had zero impact on the team. He's athletic and that's why he's getting a chance, but he will not go from college DE to stud NFL TE in two years.

Taylor Thompson

Antonio Gates will not go from college power forward to stud NFL TE in two years.

Think about it for a minute. There are some blue chip players that drop the ball. Walker is going to be drafted lower than players with their own weaknesses.Pro Football Focus

Let’s start by looking at which players have dropped the most balls – Detroit and San Francisco fans may want to look away. It won’t take much figuring out to realize that Vernon Davis and Brandon Pettigrew led all tight ends in the league, with 24 drops over the past three years. If there’s any consolation both men appear to be getting better, with six drops for Pettigrew last year, and just five for Davis after drop his plagued 2009 and 2010 campaigns. Behind them, Brent Celek had two more than both Dallas Clark and Dustin Keller who rounded out the top five.

But a player’s sheer number of drops isn’t always the best indicator of who has the best and worst hands. Indeed those who are thrown more catchable balls are given more opportunity for drops than those thrown less. This is why it is important to look at who was thrown the most catchable balls and it should not come as a shock that Jason Witten leads the way by some distance. He’s been thrown 280 catchable balls over three years, 35 more than the man in second place, Tony Gonzalez. Others featuring prominently are Kellen Winslow (third), Pettigrew (fourth) and Davis (fifth).

I picked him up as a FA about a month ago.

Pretty sure I am going to sell (I also have Cook, Finley and Bennett) for whatever I can get.

Quick answer: its not big for a few reasons....

1) The QB isn't good

2) The offense isn't good

3) If cook can't do well he won't either

Drop rate is a somewhat meaningless and inconsistent stat. Joining Walker at the bottom of the list are Hernandez and Graham. Up at the top, you'll find Fasano, Tamme, Zach Miller, and Cumberland.The median guy on that list last year was Bennett, at 9.84%. In 2011, Walker's rate was 9.52%, in 2010, it was 12.12%, and in 2009, it was 4.55%. Even the guys with a higher number of targets see large fluctuations. Graham and Hernandez were near the bottom in 2012, but in the top half in 2011.

Taylor Thompson

Antonio Gates will not go from college power forward to stud NFL TE in two years.
heh neither will tony g

Taylor Thompson

heh neither will tony g
Tony Gonzalez was an All-American TE in college and football was his primary sport. He just happened to also play basketball as an undersized power forward.

Marcus Pollard scored twice as many points at age 29 (122 points) as his previous career high (62 points)Byron Chamberlain never ranked higher than TE46 until finishing as TE11 at age 28 and TE7 at age 30.Dwayne Carswell had one finish higher than TE16- a TE8 finish at age 28.Wesley Walls never finished in the top 50 until age 28. Then he had six consecutive top-8 finishes.I'm sure there are plenty of others, those were just a few off the top of my head. Now, those names aside, count me in the camp with the Delanie Walker skeptics. I don't think he's going to amount to anything fantasy relevant in Tennessee.

There are soo many other options at te. I think you would have to be desperate to pick him up
This is exactly what we were told in 2012, and it was a terrible year for TEs.
Yes, and picking up a crappy TE who just moved to a crappy offense wouldn't have made it a better year.
Calling Walker crappy isn't in the realm of the truth.
He's a fine TE, but his stats won't show it.

None of us will really know until we see how he is used during the season. He could have a Brandon Myers type season or he could do very little. All I know is he has very little competition there so he should finally get his opportunity to be a regular starter and he is a pretty cheap guy to acquire right now.

Walker is a replacement-level player, if that. He's been in the league 7 years and his best total so far is 344 yards and 3 TDs.

Marcus Pollard scored twice as many points at age 29 (122 points) as his previous career high (62 points)Byron Chamberlain never ranked higher than TE46 until finishing as TE11 at age 28 and TE7 at age 30.

Dwayne Carswell had one finish higher than TE16- a TE8 finish at age 28.

Wesley Walls never finished in the top 50 until age 28. Then he had six consecutive top-8 finishes.

I'm sure there are plenty of others, those were just a few off the top of my head. Now, those names aside, count me in the camp with the Delanie Walker skeptics. I don't think he's going to amount to anything fantasy relevant in Tennessee.
:no: Dwayne Carswell finished as TE8 (at age 28), which was his only season in the top 16 TEs, is off the top of your head?

Marcus Pollard scored twice as many points at age 29 (122 points) as his previous career high (62 points)Byron Chamberlain never ranked higher than TE46 until finishing as TE11 at age 28 and TE7 at age 30.

Wesley Walls never finished in the top 50 until age 28. Then he had six consecutive top-8 finishes.

I'm sure there are plenty of others, those were just a few off the top of my head. Now, those names aside, count me in the camp with the Delanie Walker skeptics. I don't think he's going to amount to anything fantasy relevant in Tennessee.
:no: Dwayne Carswell finished as TE8 (at age 28), which was his only season in the top 16 TEs, is off the top of your head?
I would imagine he thought if of those players and looked up the actual stats.

'Lott said:
'DropKick said:
'SSOG said:

I would imagine he thought if of those players and looked up the actual stats.
Yup. I knew of Carswell (aka "House") and Chamberlain because I'm a Broncos fan. I knew of Pollard and Walls because I'd recently been looking into TE aging patterns. I checked PFR to make sure I was remembering correctly and to get some numbers to back it up.

Drop rate is a somewhat meaningless and inconsistent stat. Joining Walker at the bottom of the list are Hernandez and Graham. Up at the top, you'll find Fasano, Tamme, Zach Miller, and Cumberland.The median guy on that list last year was Bennett, at 9.84%. In 2011, Walker's rate was 9.52%, in 2010, it was 12.12%, and in 2009, it was 4.55%. Even the guys with a higher number of targets see large fluctuations. Graham and Hernandez were near the bottom in 2012, but in the top half in 2011.
hernandez had a bunch of memorable and horrendous drops last yr. graham did too, and it was usually blamed on his bad hand or wrist or whatever.anyway, i dunno why you can label drop rate meaningless. it seemed to pretty accurately describe those guys. thing is, they are grate players that will perform well in spite of drops. delanie aint.

Users who are viewing this thread