What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Delanie Walker to the Titans is big (1 Viewer)

He was cut in my league. Just cut outright. 12 team compeitive league. Jordan Reed was cut as well. Most guys must not have been paying attention because I snagged both to back up Jimmy Graham. Now I'm having a hard time deciding who to cut between Walker, Reed, and Dwayne Allen.
I have trouble starting Allen with the two headed monster at TE in Indy

He was cut in my league. Just cut outright. 12 team compeitive league. Jordan Reed was cut as well. Most guys must not have been paying attention because I snagged both to back up Jimmy Graham. Now I'm having a hard time deciding who to cut between Walker, Reed, and Dwayne Allen.
Reed is a piece of glass. I think Niles Paul steals the job this year.

For me, Walker if in win now mode, Allen if in a rebuilding phase.

Seems like an underrated guy in dynasty, at least in my leagues.
Agree. He does turn 31 in 2015, but continues to play at a high level, and could have upside if Mariota is as good as advertised.
Do you think last year is his ceiling?
I don't think that last year is his ceiling just because of the crap they had at QB last year. If Mariota is anywhere near as good as some people think, Walker should benefit.

A few variables:

1) I like Mariota long term, hard to say how he does as a rookie (but a TE can be a great security blanket for a young QB)

2) Hunter could improve and command more targets/receptions, and they did add more WR talent in the form of DGB and Tre McBride.

3) Walker in TEN (he was always TE2 in SF, of course, behind Pro Bowl/All Pro-caliber Vernon Davis)...

2013 (60-571-6)

2014 (63-890-4)

I could see him exceeding his first two year reception ('14) and TD ('13) highwater marks. Yardage ('14) would be tough.

Yeah, I see his yardage pace as being near his max, except in a perfect storm kind of situation. I think he has TD upside from his 4 last year, though.

A few variables:

1) I like Mariota long term, hard to say how he does as a rookie (but a TE can be a great security blanket for a young QB)

2) Hunter could improve and command more targets/receptions, and they did add more WR talent in the form of DGB and Tre McBride.

3) Walker in TEN (he was always TE2 in SF, of course, behind Pro Bowl/All Pro-caliber Vernon Davis)...

2013 (60-571-6)

2014 (63-890-4)

I could see him exceeding his first two year reception ('14) and TD ('13) highwater marks. Yardage ('14) would be tough.
Agreed on the bold, and he had most of his best games with last year's rookie qb. But I do think MM will spread the ball more than Zach did and he has more talented, if young, receivers to work with.

I'd bet his receptions and yardage will be similar to 2014 but more touchdowns. Not a bad lower tier te1.

It looks like Mettenberger will probably start this week due to Mariota's knee injury.

Mett started 6 games last year. With Mett, Delanie had a bunch of pedestrian games and only one TD...but he also had one monster game with 155 yards. The Saints TE just shredded the Falcons last week so the Titans might try to do the same.

What do you guys think about Delanie this week?

Delanie left game early with an injury, as usual. Such a wuss
Sarcasm? He's a baller. I thought he worked his tail off last week, even chased down and tackled the INT return iirc.

Regardless, I'm more interested in how you think he'll do given the matchup and QB situation?

VandyMan said:
It looks like Mettenberger will probably start this week due to Mariota's knee injury.

Mett started 6 games last year. With Mett, Delanie had a bunch of pedestrian games and only one TD...but he also had one monster game with 155 yards. The Saints TE just shredded the Falcons last week so the Titans might try to do the same.

They probably go back to the DelanieGates game plan. Keeping TE in won't help the C, so thankfully that injury shouldn't change things

VandyMan said:

They probably go back to the DelanieGates game plan. Keeping TE in won't help the C, so thankfully that injury shouldn't change things
Keeping the TE in won't help the C, but might help the RT. Ugh. Tremblay has him at TE7 this week. I don't know if that's purely matchup-based or also takes into account the "we can't get ANOTHER qb hurt" factor. Didn't they keep Delanie in a lot last year when the OL was imploding?

ETA: matchup is definitely ripe for TE production. Not sure the Titans are in position to exploit it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Delanie left game early with an injury, as usual. Such a wuss
Sarcasm? He's a baller. I thought he worked his tail off last week, even chased down and tackled the INT return iirc.Regardless, I'm more interested in how you think he'll do given the matchup and QB situation?
Delanie will still remain the top target on offense, whether it's Mett or Marcus. The trouble is the Titans are pitiful so the production will be inconsistent. I've got him behind Gates now but will have to play him at flex during some byes

VandyMan said:

Keeping the TE in won't help the C, but might help the RT. Ugh. Tremblay has him at TE7 this week. I don't know if that's purely matchup-based or also takes into account the "we can't get ANOTHER qb hurt" factor. Didn't they keep Delanie in a lot last year when the OL was imploding?ETA: matchup is definitely ripe for TE production. Not sure the Titans are in position to exploit it.
I wouldn't put anything past Whiz. He's an idiot

Walker is fine steady TE this year. Unexciting but not too shabby either.

I don't think this changes, in any scenario.

He may never get 2 TDs with Fasano and Coffman around and may never have the 1 or 2 monster weeks he had last year. He is steady eddy here though

You guys like him ROS? Mariota if healthy will improve and Walker is certainly getting the targets.
I would prefer him as a flex or bye week fill in but I think his value hasn't changed. If Mettenberger were to play he will target Walker often so no drop off imo. Just don't like the offense as a whole, but who does. He's a mid floor guy with not a lot of upside until they can consistently get in the redzone.

You guys like him ROS? Mariota if healthy will improve and Walker is certainly getting the targets.
He's steady eddy. Nothing changes.

Maybe an uptick if they play in freezing temps or if the opposing team's D stinks but he's very even keel.

Woke up today and Delanie Walker was the 6th best TE in one of my 0.5 PPR leagues, standard. Gates is 7th, Kelce is 8th. I really haven't enjoyed any Titans players or the franchise since maybe McNair and George, and you can maybe blame Fisher and the lousy coaches they have had since, but anyhow Walker has become a favorite player of mine to watch. I am not sure if I have ever owned him in FF either, and yet I thought he was great and underused with the 9ers. Anyway he has been a great sleeper pick all season and he still seems to be going undernoticed. Great pick for those of you who got him late in drafts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Delanie Walker has the 10th-highest target share in the league last season.
Walker was the target on 26.9 percent of the Titans' passes when healthy, the largest percentage among tight ends. With Rishard Matthews now in town and Dorial Green-Beckham perhaps poised for a step forward, that number will likely come down. Add in what could be a run-heavy approach (#ExoticSmashmouth), and Walker could see a sharp decline from the 133 targets he banked last year. Despite a top-five finish last season, he is more of a back-end TE1 this time around.

Source: ESPN 
Jun 18 - 10:56 AM

There is no way he is "backend TE1" which means 10-12th best TE.

For FF you want a QB who loves the TE and he is quite literally the only target Mariota has shown he trusts. 

Bri said:
There is no way he is "backend TE1" which means 10-12th best TE.

For FF you want a QB who loves the TE and he is quite literally the only target Mariota has shown he trusts. 
What are the odds he gets 130 targets again?  Isn't it far more likely that he'll be under 100?

Cutting his production by 23% would put him in a virtual tie for TE8, which sounds exactly like "backend TE1" to me.

What are the odds he gets 130 targets again?  Isn't it far more likely that he'll be under 100?

Cutting his production by 23% would put him in a virtual tie for TE8, which sounds exactly like "backend TE1" to me.
Its not necessarily how many targets he gets, its how he uses them. He had a great end to last season and I tend to think he will have a better repore with Mariota this year. TE5 or better? I wouldn't doubt it at all.

Its not necessarily how many targets he gets, its how he uses them. He had a great end to last season and I tend to think he will have a better repore with Mariota this year. TE5 or better? I wouldn't doubt it at all.
I'll take the opposite view on this.  His age, the desire for the team to develop the young WR talent around him and go forward to the future, and the open remarks about running more leads me to believe this is a down year for Walker in fantasy.  Walker also had a solid handful of BIG CRAZY plays last year that really bolstered his FF bottom line.  He had that one game (Rams maybe?) where he literally had passes bounce off dude's helmets and leave him catching busted plays for a TD and big yards.  It seemed there were about 3 games last year where they caught teams in the perfect storm of they had quit, were destroyed by injuries, had guys go out with concussions mid-game, etc where it just seemed destined to open up the game for Walker. 

A good TE can be a young QBs best friend and he was that last year but now the time has come for Mariota to grow and that growth needs to be with the young skill players.  There's no reason to kindle a love-fest wit a 33 year old TE at this point.  I'd say Wright, if anyone, is the benefactor this year.

I'm predicting an improved team this year with what I think is an easy schedule.

The less targets makes sense initially.

They were the worst team and I expect them to improve. What does that mean with drives simply continuing rather than be 3 and out?

Robiskie/Mularkey had Tony G in Atlanta and Michael Turner too. Exotic Smashmouth phrase doesn't deter me.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GonzTo00.htm

I'm thinking of old Tony G and wondering- do you think Delanie at 33 is more athletic than Tony G at 33? Is that far-fetched? Often times, Delanie doesn't strike me as old and I figure that's from sitting behind Davis all those years.

I like Walker this year.  With DGB shipped out, that's a few more red zone looks that could go his way.  He's likely Mariota's #1 target again this year.

I like Walker this year.  With DGB shipped out, that's a few more red zone looks that could go his way.  He's likely Mariota's #1 target again this year.
- They want to run more (added Murray, Henry and seems to have bought into having a FB)

- They added Andre Johnson (could be just for veteran presence)

- They have a gazilion WRs AND a gazilion TEs on the roster currently, but have been saying earlier in the season that Walker will block more

- They gave Walker a 2 year extension worth up to 15m

Who the hell knows what will happen.

ESPN’s Paul Kuharsky expects Delanie Walker to lead the Titans in targets.
Walker led Tennessee with 133 targets last year. The Titans project to be more run heavy with the additions of DeMarco Murray and Derrick Henry, making him likely to decline from his 94/1,088/6 line. Walker is currently getting drafted as the TE6.

Source: ESPN 
Aug 20 - 9:30 AM

the emergence of T.Sharpe bothers me a bit ... even if he low end gets 70-80 targets, with Mathews in the mix, 2 beast RB's ...... I think 100 targets ad 65 catches is realistic do ya'll ?

surely he won't get 90 catches again, is anyone predicting that ?

Kinda nervous about starting him this week. Already worried about Titans trying to run and control clock but with AP and McKinnon toting it probably 50 times this game could be over in an hour and a half. Anybody starting a lower ranked tight end over him? 

Delanie Walker (hamstring, questionable) sounded unsure about his Week 3 status.

"We’ll see how I feel and go from there," Walker said. "We’re just trying to do the best plan to see if I can play on Sunday." The comments don't shed much on Walker's status. Even if he does suit up, he could be limited. Owners need to set up a backup plan for Walker.

Source: titansonline.com

I think there is a chance he is out this week. He got added to injury report yesterday. Practiced was listed as limited so was not concerned. But I read more on it and really worse than just limited, he was practicing and felt groin tightness so they pulled him and sent him for testing. Mularkey said they would know more this morning, as of a few minutes ago he was not seen at practice and listed as questionable and a game time decision.

Tough TE week to potentially lose him but got to start working on plan B.

When he missed a game earlier we saw Amaro benefit but he's not been active since week 4. Any idea from anyone if we might see Amaro activated and again the beneficiary or would it be Fasano or the guy with the possibly the best last name in the NFL, Supernaw.

The day the Niners dealt Walker and kept VD seemed like the 1st ***** in the armor for the end of a once-great franchise. It made no sense at the time and all this time later it's only proven to be that much worse considering how effective a blocker and receiver he was/is. 

Injuries are taking a toll on him lately, but he's still a phenomenal player and it was insane to lose him. 

Users who are viewing this thread