What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reggie Bush (1 Viewer)

Dr. Octopus

Footballguy
Lions agreed to terms with RB Reggie Bush, formerly of the Dolphins, on a four-year contract.One of the worst kept secrets of free agency is no more. Bush provides some desperately needed big-play ability to a running back corps that simply didn't threaten defenses last season. Yahoo's Jason Cole has reported the Lions are hoping to make Bush a "full-time," three-down back. That could be a dicey proposition for a player with Bush's injury history, but he'll undoubtedly lead the Lions' backfield in touches so long as he stays healthy. An elite pass-catching back joining the league's most pass-happy offense, Bush is going to have a monster PPR ceiling in 2013. We would call Bush the favorite to lead all NFL running backs in receptions this season.

Lions agreed to terms with RB Reggie Bush, formerly of the Dolphins, on a four-year contract.

One of the worst kept secrets of free agency is no more. Bush provides some desperately needed big-play ability to a running back corps that simply didn't threaten defenses last season. Yahoo's Jason Cole has reported the Lions are hoping to make Bush a "full-time," three-down back. That could be a dicey proposition for a player with Bush's injury history, but he'll undoubtedly lead the Lions' backfield in touches so long as he stays healthy. An elite pass-catching back joining the league's most pass-happy offense, Bush is going to have a monster PPR ceiling in 2013. We would call Bush the favorite to lead all NFL running backs in receptions this season.
He might be up there but with Sean Payton back in the fold I'd still bet on Sproles. I'd also bet Charles will be second, with Reid and check-down-happy Alex Smith passing to him. Could be a good value in PPR drafts in the mid rounds though.I still see him being somewhat of a timeshare back.

Lions agreed to terms with RB Reggie Bush, formerly of the Dolphins, on a four-year contract.

One of the worst kept secrets of free agency is no more. Bush provides some desperately needed big-play ability to a running back corps that simply didn't threaten defenses last season. Yahoo's Jason Cole has reported the Lions are hoping to make Bush a "full-time," three-down back. That could be a dicey proposition for a player with Bush's injury history, but he'll undoubtedly lead the Lions' backfield in touches so long as he stays healthy. An elite pass-catching back joining the league's most pass-happy offense, Bush is going to have a monster PPR ceiling in 2013. We would call Bush the favorite to lead all NFL running backs in receptions this season.
He might be up there but with Sean Payton back in the fold I'd still bet on Sproles. I'd also bet Charles will be second, with Reid and check-down-happy Alex Smith passing to him. Could be a good value in PPR drafts in the mid rounds though.I still see him being somewhat of a timeshare back.
LeShoure figures to get at least some of the goal line and short yardage work.

It's a good fit for Bush from an offensive philosophy perspective, I just find it hard to believe that LeShoure won't get his LeShare of touches, including goalline work. And Joique Bell is no slouch either.

I think it's win-win for everyone-not-named-Joique Bell. That is, unless we spent a ton of $$ on Bush. If it was in the neighborhood of $2-$4 mil I won't mind. More....? Too much. But a good signing by Detroit. We really needed it. Now we need a REALY #2 WR and serious secondary help.

Color me intrigued. This is gonna be one fun offense to watch! And let's face it.... Detroit is still gonna have to win games 38-35 for awhile. Reggie should have all kinds of room to run after catching swing/checkdown passes with Calvin on the field.

It's a good fit for Bush from an offensive philosophy perspective, I just find it hard to believe that LeShoure won't get his LeShare of touches, including goalline work. And Joique Bell is no slouch either.
I think you mean he's no Joque :)

Color me intrigued. This is gonna be one fun offense to watch! And let's face it.... Detroit is still gonna have to win games 38-35 for awhile. Reggie should have all kinds of room to run after catching swing/checkdown passes with Calvin on the field.
It worked for a few games with a concussed rookie, it should work with Bush.

I think it's win-win for everyone-not-named-Joique Bell. That is, unless we spent a ton of $$ on Bush. If it was in the neighborhood of $2-$4 mil I won't mind. More....? Too much. But a good signing by Detroit. We really needed it. Now we need a REALY #2 WR and serious secondary help.
From a fantasy standpoint, I can't see how this benefits LeShoure.

Bigger hit for Bell IMO. Leshoure will still get the short yardage/goal line work. I think they'll be happy giving Leshoure 15 carries a game like they did last year. This reminds me of the Giants with Jacobs/Ward, there should be enough to go around in this offense.

As a Leshore owner, I like it better than them signing Mendy, Beanie or even drafting a high rookie RB. Leshore's floor hasn't really changed.

As a Leshore owner, I like it better than them signing Mendy, Beanie or even drafting a high rookie RB. Leshore's floor hasn't really changed.
Correct, his floor is as low as it ever was. His ceiling is significantly lower now (assuming Bush stays healthy), his window has closed some and he may soon be shown the door if Bush is as good as they hope.

typical lions move, their oline and defense is awful, lets sign a 29 year old RB to a 4 year deal!
This is a great signing IMO. Bush isn't costing them much at all. He is going to fill a huge need in that offense, the short to intermediate pass catcher and solid RB. I can see him catching 60 balls in this offense.On to of that, they have a top 5 pick and can address the Oline there if they choose to. I hope they do.

typical lions move, their oline and defense is awful, lets sign a 29 year old RB to a 4 year deal!
This is a great signing IMO. Bush isn't costing them much at all. He is going to fill a huge need in that offense, the short to intermediate pass catcher and solid RB. I can see him catching 60 balls in this offense.On to of that, they have a top 5 pick and can address the Oline there if they choose to. I hope they do.
This would make a lot of sense although itll hard for them to pass on Milliner if he's there.OL upgrade or not, DET's OL is still worse than what he was running behind in MIA, but I bet he'll get the ball in space a lot in DET.

'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
They resigned a corner, signed a d lineman and a safety. Whats the problem? They will also draft defense and a WR in the draft, so its all good.Am I the only one who remember how explosive the Lions were with the scat back Best?

'Raider Nation said:
Meh. If he couldn't do it in New Orleans with that group, he won't do it here in Detroit. He's back on turf which only likely means a return to the nagging injuries. He was given this type of opportunity when he was younger, fresher, and faster, with a better team and it never happened.

'Nucker101 said:
Love the fit for Bush and the Lions. :thumbup:
He'll have room to run with Calvin stretching the field and drawing so much attention. Johnson and Bush fit together well.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Raider Nation said:
Meh. If he couldn't do it in New Orleans with that group, he won't do it here in Detroit. He's back on turf which only likely means a return to the nagging injuries. He was given this type of opportunity when he was younger, fresher, and faster, with a better team and it never happened.
:confused:Bush played in Miami the last two years. He looked like a different player and was pretty good there, iirc. Not sure how his numbers in New Orleans are relevant here.1,382 yards from scrimmage in 2011. 1,278 yards in 2012. 15 total TDs.

Bush played in Miami the last two years. He looked like a different player and was pretty good there, iirc. Not sure how his numbers in New Orleans are relevant here.

1,382 yards from scrimmage in 2011. 1,278 yards in 2012. 15 total TDs.
But, but artificial turf!

doesnt seem like the best situation for bush. not sure he will get the ball enough.
Despite the fact that they are looking to make him an every down back, they pass or check down to the running back A LOT, and he is fully capable?But I dont know, maybe people on FBG know better then the team in their intentions. Looks pretty obvious the plan, to me.

(Rotoworld) Reggie Bush called playing for the Lions a "running back's dream."

"It's the first thing we talked about when we watched the film and saw those safeties deep and those safeties rolling over, double-covering Calvin Johnson," Bush said. "It's a running back's dream." Bush was able to average 4.67 YPC in Miami over the last two seasons, a rate he should be able to sustain in Detroit. The biggest difference will be in the passing game, where the Lions use the short pass as an extension of their running attack. Jahvid Best was on pace to catch 73 passes in 2011 before another concussion derailed him.

Last edited by a moderator:

yept, looks like alot of RBBC in motor city

yept, looks like alot of RBBC in motor city
I wouldn't doubt that it is to some extent. Bush should be gold in PPR leagues though. Standard scoring may be a totally different story.

I like the idea of Reggie headed to Motown. He's a good RB, and can also catch the ball. In addition, the Lions (shockingly!) also added some defensive help. Still, having a legitimate running back means that now defenses can't try and triple team Johnson, because Reggie is dangerous both behind and across the line.

Granted, they still need help in the secondary and O-line, but they're moving in the right direction.

'Phenix said:
doesnt seem like the best situation for bush. not sure he will get the ball enough.
Despite the fact that they are looking to make him an every down back, they pass or check down to the running back A LOT, and he is fully capable?But I dont know, maybe people on FBG know better then the team in their intentions. Looks pretty obvious the plan, to me.

"It's the first thing we talked about when we watched the film and saw those safeties deep and those safeties rolling over, double-covering Calvin Johnson," Bush said. "It's a running back's dream." Bush was able to average 4.67 YPC in Miami over the last two seasons, a rate he should be able to sustain in Detroit. The biggest difference will be in the passing game, where the Lions use the short pass as an extension of their running attack. Jahvid Best was on pace to catch 73 passes in 2011 before another concussion derailed him.
your rotoworld blurb doesnt say anything near definitive about the lions planning on making bush and every down back. and we all know that teams rarely distribute workloads exactly how they tell the media. we all know that teams always present the most optimistic viewpoint of the newly acquired player. do you really need someone to run down all the coach and gm quotes about a certain player being the next "lead back" or whatever?

i just dont see bush's value increasing much. think hes about in the same spot. less carries, but more catches. about the same scoring opportunities.

i dont get your snark either. is it really that offensive that i hold the viewpoint that bush will split carries with leshoure?

'Phenix said:

your rotoworld blurb doesnt say anything near definitive about the lions planning on making bush and every down back. and we all know that teams rarely distribute workloads exactly how they tell the media. we all know that teams always present the most optimistic viewpoint of the newly acquired player. do you really need someone to run down all the coach and gm quotes about a certain player being the next "lead back" or whatever?

i just dont see bush's value increasing much. think hes about in the same spot. less carries, but more catches. about the same scoring opportunities.

i dont get your snark either. is it really that offensive that i hold the viewpoint that bush will split carries with leshoure?
Last year he was being drafted as the 21st RB in the 4th/5th round and finished RB #12 (both FBGs std & PPR scoring). Pretty good value last year as your flex/RB2.

'Neofight said:
'ratbast said:
'Casting Couch said:
'Sinrman said:
Correct, his floor is as low as it ever was. His ceiling is significantly lower now (assuming Bush stays healthy), his window has closed some and he may soon be shown the door if Bush is as good as they hope.
Why are they going to show him the door? Ill take last years numbers and be happy, they didnt sign Steve Jackson here folks, its Reggie Bush!

'Phenix said:

It didn't increase "much", but out of the likely landing spots, this is probably as good as it gets. I doubt he'll get too many fewer carries (he only had 216 and 227 the last 2 years). Even if he does, he'll almost certainly have way more receptions, and yards per reception are higher than yards per carry. Simply being on a better offensive (and weaker defensive) team should give him more scoring opportunities as well.Not a stud, but one of the better spots he could have landed IMO.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-bush-could-catch-80-passes-jim-schwartz-says

Reggie Bush could catch 80 passes, Jim Schwartz says
By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

With the Detroit Lions, Reggie Bush has a chance to be a central part of the offense -- both as a rusher and a receiver.

Lions coach Jim Schwartz made that clear Tuesday, when he said the dynamic running back could finish with 60 to 80 receptions in 2013, according to Tim Twentyman of the Lions' team site.

Bush always has been a player whose perceived value tends to fall short of actual production, but he has a shot to match Schwartz's expectations in Detroit. After all, Bush had 88 catches as a rookie with the New Orleans Saints in 2006.

Bush's production as a receiver tailed off in recent seasons, but we wouldn't put that on a depreciation of his skill-set. Put it this way: If the immortal Joique Bell could manage 52 catches last season, we feel comfortable setting that as a baseline for Bush.

The question goes back to durability. Schwartz has talked Bush up as someone who can run the ball, catch the ball, even do damage on special teams.

It's easy to get excited about a player with the versatile talents of Bush. Knowing how to properly deploy him is part of the trick.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

I've resisted thinking it since I'm a multi-league owner, but it's getting pretty easy to find a path to RB1 status for Bush.

I just asked about Bush again in a league, and the guy called Bush a "top 5 dynasty back".

Words can't describe my feelings on that, lol

I just asked about Bush again in a league, and the guy called Bush a "top 5 dynasty back".

If Schwartz is telling the truth about 80 catches he'll be top five this year at least. Too expensive to buy now IMO.
If Bush stays healthy all year (big if), and if he gets 80 catches (big if), and 200 carries (big if), he could be top 5.

Calling him a top 5 dynasty back is about as silly as it gets. Seriously, people out there can only name FOUR RBs they would take over Bush straight up??

I am doing a redraft league, slow draft, that started a couple days ago. Bush was the 20th RB selected. And that's redraft, not dynasty. I think he did slip a little and probably should been picked before a few guys, but wow.

ghostguy123 said:
wdcrob said:
ghostguy123 said:

If Schwartz is telling the truth about 80 catches he'll be top five this year at least. Too expensive to buy now IMO.
If Bush stays healthy all year (big if), and if he gets 80 catches (big if), and 200 carries (big if), he could be top 5.

Calling him a top 5 dynasty back is about as silly as it gets. Seriously, people out there can only name FOUR RBs they would take over Bush straight up??

I am doing a redraft league, slow draft, that started a couple days ago. Bush was the 20th RB selected. And that's redraft, not dynasty. I think he did slip a little and probably should been picked before a few guys, but wow.
If it's a PPR league he's a steal at the 20th RB.

ghostguy123 said:
wdcrob said:
ghostguy123 said:

The workload might be speculative but Bush has been healthy for a couple of years now.

Users who are viewing this thread