What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aaron Hernandez will win your 2013 Fantasy League (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
'doowain said:
McDaniels was already phasing out Welker last year before the injuries to Gronk and Hernandez. I can see him taking a 1/4 to 1/3 of Welker's targets. Add in the departure of Lloyd and we are going to see an astronomical number of targets for a TE.

Hernandez averaged 8.4 targets a game last year in 10 games. That projects to 134 for 16 games. A third of Welker's targets would be 58. Let's be conservative and say 40. That would put him at 174 targets.

He's not a TE. He's a WR. And he's my favorite to finish 2013 as TE1.

He will outperform Gronk and Graham and can be had 3-4 rounds later.

:boxing:
No argument with Hernandez. However, I don't think Welker was being phased out. Game Logs IIRC I thought there was some question as to whether Welker suffered a concussion in one of the pre season games which caused the lower than usual targets in the first game.
No, Welker was essentially beneched for Edelman in the first game. Why would a concussion keep you from starting but allow you to play?He got benched in week 1, then Mr "Will Win your 2013 Fantasy League" got hurt in Week 2, and Welker was thrust back into a primary role.
Benched? Edelman replaced him on punt returns and that was it. Edelman only had 2 targets on offense that first game. But doesn't matter anymore. Sorry to see him go. Who will make Hernandez better is Jake Ballard.

'Concept Coop said:
'doowain said:
I can't remember the exact numbers, but Welker was playing something like 50% of the snaps early on in the season. How is that not "being phased out"?
As I said, there was something going on behind the scenes. I don't know what that is. But I know Welker led the team in targets and played very close to 100% of the teams snaps after the first 2 games. He was benched for Edelman - that doesn't make sense to me. I think it is the FO sending a message, but I honestly don't know. But I don't think it was the Patriots suggesting that they are better without Welker, or that his role is going to be phased out of the offense.
Check out this really good accounting of those 3 weeks in question by Menobrown from an AC thread. What you can deduce from this can vary, but it is great information nonetheless.
Help me understand where this lack of playing time occurred.
Week one: he did not start which he normally does but not all together unusual because up that point he'd only started in 85% of his games with NE. In week one Gronk and Hernandez played every down. Welker, who normally plays 89% of the snaps, played 64% operating in an almost 2 plays to 1 timeshare with Edelman. Circumstances of the game did not seem to dictate snaps either as there were several obvious passing downs that Welker was on the sideline. He ended up turning in low output game.Reaction to this-several Patriots beat writers wonder whats up and that's where we get into either conspiracy theories or a beat writer like Reiss who thinks it's purely football related and they prefer to go more 3 TE sets and Edelman to improve the blocking. Mcdaniels is asked and summary version of what he says is they are going to handle the WR's and TE's like they do the RB's. Meaning game plan and role could change week to week. This is old news to the RB's for that team, not something Welker has had to deal with.Week two- Welker does not start again and he's on the sideline the first few play of the game when Hernandez got his ankle rolled, by Edelman in fact who was in for Welker.Stop here. We've only had a game and few plays of decreased Welker usage but a guy many think the Patriots want to use to replace him just got hurt. This led to more playing time for Welker but what we don't know is what was the Patriots plan if Hernandez had not gotten injured? Would his role have increased anyway or was it a product of the Hernandez injury? Or was the Patriots plan what Mcdaniels alluded to earlier where even if Hernandez had been healthy Welker was more a situational game plan player as opposed to weekly high volume player? I don't think we know these answers.Now back to week two. Welkers role increase and he ends up with a good game but did not see his first and only first half target until about 2 minutes left in the first. Than, and this is very important IMO, despite Hernandez being lost to injury Edelman continued to start over Welker in two WR sets and played more snaps than him.Reaction to this after the game: more puzzlement by fans and beat writers. Welker assuring people he's not hurt, Brady saying he does not think it's hurt and parroting some of what Mcdaniels alluded to saying it's part of the game plan . Beat writers like Riess stating his decreased role in the offense bears watching and calling Edleman and Welker in a 2a/2b battle.Week 3. By halftime of this game Edelman had played more snaps than Welker, got more targets in addition to 2 carries and all in all looked like a big part of their gameplan as he got targeted 7 times with 2 carries in a very productive first half. Than he breaks his hand.Stop here. Now Edelmand and Hernandez are gone. From this point forward Welker was Welker of old in terms of playing time, targets. Again similar to the Hernandez question earlier what we don't know is how Welkers role would have played out had Edelman not broke his hand.

'Concept Coop said:
'doowain said:
I can't remember the exact numbers, but Welker was playing something like 50% of the snaps early on in the season. How is that not "being phased out"?
As I said, there was something going on behind the scenes. I don't know what that is. But I know Welker led the team in targets and played very close to 100% of the teams snaps after the first 2 games. He was benched for Edelman - that doesn't make sense to me. I think it is the FO sending a message, but I honestly don't know. But I don't think it was the Patriots suggesting that they are better without Welker, or that his role is going to be phased out of the offense.
Check out this really good accounting of those 3 weeks in question by Menobrown from an AC thread. What you can deduce from this can vary, but it is great information nonetheless.
Help me understand where this lack of playing time occurred.
Week one: he did not start which he normally does but not all together unusual because up that point he'd only started in 85% of his games with NE. In week one Gronk and Hernandez played every down. Welker, who normally plays 89% of the snaps, played 64% operating in an almost 2 plays to 1 timeshare with Edelman. Circumstances of the game did not seem to dictate snaps either as there were several obvious passing downs that Welker was on the sideline. He ended up turning in low output game.Reaction to this-several Patriots beat writers wonder whats up and that's where we get into either conspiracy theories or a beat writer like Reiss who thinks it's purely football related and they prefer to go more 3 TE sets and Edelman to improve the blocking. Mcdaniels is asked and summary version of what he says is they are going to handle the WR's and TE's like they do the RB's. Meaning game plan and role could change week to week. This is old news to the RB's for that team, not something Welker has had to deal with.Week two- Welker does not start again and he's on the sideline the first few play of the game when Hernandez got his ankle rolled, by Edelman in fact who was in for Welker.Stop here. We've only had a game and few plays of decreased Welker usage but a guy many think the Patriots want to use to replace him just got hurt. This led to more playing time for Welker but what we don't know is what was the Patriots plan if Hernandez had not gotten injured? Would his role have increased anyway or was it a product of the Hernandez injury? Or was the Patriots plan what Mcdaniels alluded to earlier where even if Hernandez had been healthy Welker was more a situational game plan player as opposed to weekly high volume player? I don't think we know these answers.Now back to week two. Welkers role increase and he ends up with a good game but did not see his first and only first half target until about 2 minutes left in the first. Than, and this is very important IMO, despite Hernandez being lost to injury Edelman continued to start over Welker in two WR sets and played more snaps than him.Reaction to this after the game: more puzzlement by fans and beat writers. Welker assuring people he's not hurt, Brady saying he does not think it's hurt and parroting some of what Mcdaniels alluded to saying it's part of the game plan . Beat writers like Riess stating his decreased role in the offense bears watching and calling Edleman and Welker in a 2a/2b battle.Week 3. By halftime of this game Edelman had played more snaps than Welker, got more targets in addition to 2 carries and all in all looked like a big part of their gameplan as he got targeted 7 times with 2 carries in a very productive first half. Than he breaks his hand.Stop here. Now Edelmand and Hernandez are gone. From this point forward Welker was Welker of old in terms of playing time, targets. Again similar to the Hernandez question earlier what we don't know is how Welkers role would have played out had Edelman not broke his hand.
All good information with a lot of factual stuff, but I still can not get on board with Welker being "phased out" of anything. Standing on the sidelines for the 1st play of the game is pretty meaningless. There could be a million reasons why Welker started the season playing slightly less than people would have expected. Hell, wasn't in two years ago Percy Harvin was only playing like 50% of the snaps for the Vikings?? he wasn't being phased out of anything, they were just using him differently, considering he still got a lot of touches. It could be that they KNEW their normal offense would be good, and simply wanted to try out some new sets and different plays. It could be that they wanted to limit Welkers snap count because he is getting older and he is constantly getting banged around. This would not be considered "phased out", but moreso a slightly lesser play count for health purposes, especially at the beginning of the year to keep him healthy. Coulda also been disciplinary, or a million other reasons.Now, let's say they DID want to phase him out, whatever the hell that means...........as soon as he would have been on the field producing like usual they would have pretty quickly realized that phasing him out was really, really stupid. Their mainstay offense was Gronk, hernandez, and Welker together on the field when it counted. Just because they altered this towards the beginning of the year we have to go all conspiracy theory about how he was somehow slowly being transitioned to a player who was barely going to see the field??Or maybe I am just wrong and they really were trying to phase him out, in which case they are straight up IDIOTS!!

Does every Hernandez thread ever started have to be bumped now? Jesus. No one could have seen this coming, so why bump stuff like this? The novelty has warn off.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Does every Hernandez thread ever started have to be bumped now? Jesus. No one could have seen this coming, so why bump stuff like this? The novelty has warn off.
You don't have to open them. This place is like a soap opera.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Preseason needs to start already!

Quite the contrary, the name of the thread is....

Aaron Hernandez will win your 2013 Fantasy League

Also we cant quite possibly see injuries coming, but we still suffer from predictions that go a miss. Doowain made a horrible prediction that he wanted to draw attention to by starting a thread with such certainty that couldnt go more possibly wrong, as for anyone who made a trade for him, myself included, we must take our licks for that bad move. Him more so because he was so certain that again, it needed a thread. But then again, if ConnSkin disliked Doowain, it would be OK, you know, cause thats how it works.

Doowain should be disgusted at such a horrible prediction, Of all the 2750+ players currently on teams, he picked the one player that is being charged with murder as the guy to win your 2013 fantasy league?

This is my favorite line ... "He will outperform Gronk and Graham and can be had 3-4 rounds later." :boxing: <- He even added this

Not only will he not outperform them, but I have a better chance of performing better then Hernandez. :ninja: <- I added this

Last edited by a moderator:
The admins probably frown on just posting "postcount++" so its a cheap way to get extra posts necroing things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread