What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

 Apple Watch ⌚ (1 Viewer)

This thread sounds a lot like the iPad thread at first. "This thing is stupid why would I ever need it?"

All those people own iPads now.
Most of us have phones big enough now that owning a tablet is unnecessary. They still have a place, but I don't think phablet owners are using them much.
Yeah true they haven't sold very well.

This thread sounds a lot like the iPad thread at first. "This thing is stupid why would I ever need it?"

But why will I ever need it? My wife bought an iPad and the kids use it, but it can't replace a laptop for me. Similarly, I don't see how a watch replaces a phone or justifies its purchase.
For the same reason someone in your house needed an iPad, someone may eventually need an iwatch.
Someone invite Cook and Ive to the FFA so they can take notes from our gurus about how to run a company.

Another problem is there are just way too many choices, it will confuse people. Bunch of versions with tons of different bands.

I was 100% on board with the iPad and bought it first day available.

Hopefully it's one of those things you have to have before appreciating, but I'm just not seeing this one until it can work independently from the iPhone. I've never really felt grabbing my phone to check something was an inconvenience.
That's how I feel too. I finally feel like I have everything in a phone I could ever want with my 6plus. Apple, which I personally like ten times better than Android, and screen size. My wife doesn't believe me, but I have no desire to upgrade my phone anymore. I probably will, as the battery life will one day force me too.

But the watch? Meh. I still haven't seen one feature that I have the slightest interest in. Seems like pure vanity to me. A gadget. I saw a guy with a samsung watch showing it off at a business meeting a few months ago. We all thought it was silly. Whats the point, you know?

I feel a big swing and a miss on this one, but hey this will test the loyalty of fanboys.

I don't get it.
I've been trying to see what it does. The first thing on the site said it was a world class time piece and it monitors your heart beat. Honestly dont know what else it does.
It tells you when you need to stand up. :thumbup:
It replaces having a car key fob according to Cook.
I don't have a car key fob to begin with.
Once you have the Watch you can buy an Apple Car and be able to start it.

So how much will this thing cost by Christmas? I think they need to get under the $200 price point to make any noise. I would assume the iWatch 2 will be announced in a year with 2x the battery life.

So how much will this thing cost by Christmas? I think they need to get under the $200 price point to make any noise. I would assume the iWatch 2 will be announced in a year with 2x the battery life.
Doubt there's a price drop by Christmas. Seems pretty much locked in at $350 until the new one comes out next year.

Battery life is going to be the big problem with this thing. If you try to use it all day long, there's no way it will work for 10-12 hours.

Doubt there's a price drop by Christmas. Seems pretty much locked in at $350 until the new one comes out next year.
Yeah Apple's not big on price drops.... generally they'll improve specs to maintain a price point, rather than degrade the point itself.

Battery life is going to be the big problem with this thing. If you try to use it all day long, there's no way it will work for 10-12 hours.
My thing is it will be outdated in 1-2 years. For a watch at these prices that seems like a big deal.

My thing is it will be outdated in 1-2 years. For a watch at these prices that seems like a big deal.
Yeah. I think the bigger issue for me is it has to be teathered to my 6+. The whole purpose of the watch should be to substitute for that big device when I'm doing something where I don't want to lug it around, not act as a compliment to it.

They also completely missed the real "active" market which seems boneheaded these days.

Side note - why are people acting like this is new stuff?

Android phones are on their second generation of such gear if I recall.

Not hating on apple or any watches, but I think GPJ is on to something.

I have had my fitbit charge hr for 2 months. Had the bluetooth on for a day before turning it off.

If I want to see who is calling,ill look at my phone. No need for a watch

I say this only bc I am a big tech gadget guy. The whole watch thing has not interested me at all.

But maybe im just getting too old for this stuff and the kids will eat it.up.

• Smile
Reactions: One

I have had my fitbit charge hr for 2 months. Had the bluetooth on for a day before turning it off.

I say this only bc I am a big tech gadget guy. The whole watch thing has not interested me at all.

Kinda how I was with my Pebble.

When I first got it, it was really great with the Bluetooth connected. But really, I was only using the Bluetooth part to see who was calling or texting if I was in a meeting or something. I still had to get my phone out to text them back. Now I know the newer smart watches will let you text on the watch, but holy crap that's a small screen to try and text on.

I'm a gadget guy too, but the watches just don't do anything for me. My Pebble is used more for a watch than for everything else it can do.

Kinda how I was with my Pebble.

When I first got it, it was really great with the Bluetooth connected. But really, I was only using the Bluetooth part to see who was calling or texting if I was in a meeting or something. I still had to get my phone out to text them back. Now I know the newer smart watches will let you text on the watch, but holy crap that's a small screen to try and text on.

I'm a gadget guy too, but the watches just don't do anything for me. My Pebble is used more for a watch than for everything else it can do.
I'm holding out for a Pip-Boy - I've heard it has ultra-modern super-deluxe resolution graphics.

Battery life kills this thing for me. Well, that and the fact you still need to be tethered to a phone (and in close proximity) for it to actually do anything.

But it is really that battery.

I get ticked when I have to charge my fitbit once a week. I can't imagine having to charge a watch 2 or more times a day.
Only once a day like the Moto 360. Charging it overnight isn't a deal killer for me. I actually like the 360 , wouldn't mind one but its not enough to make me switch
OVernight charging is a killer for me during the week as I use the silent alarm to wake up for work. Charge it on Fri or Sat night. :thumbup:

If the watch is a standalone and doesn't need my phone to be nearby, I'm way more interested.

I'll prob still buy, but I'm not as excited as I was for previous products.

Not that I'd ever consider paying thousands of dollars for any watch (Rolex, et. al., included) but if I did I'd be pretty pissed if it was obsolete and unsupported in a few years.

If the watch is a standalone and doesn't need my phone to be nearby, I'm way more interested.

Did people really think this thing wasn't going to need your phone to work? Every other smart watch out there functions off of your phone.

Not that I'd ever consider paying thousands of dollars for any watch (Rolex, et. al., included) but if I did I'd be pretty pissed if it was obsolete and unsupported in a few years.
thats why it makes no sense for the edition model to me. My Planet Ocean will never be obsolete

Did people really think this thing wasn't going to need your phone to work? Every other smart watch out there functions off of your phone.
Garmin vivofit does a hell of a lot of stuff and doesn't need a phone anywhere near it.

Garmin vivofit does a hell of a lot of stuff and doesn't need a phone anywhere near it.
Right, but how did people think their smart watches would be able to get their phone notifications if it wasn't paired with their phone?

Right, but how did people think their smart watches would be able to get their phone notifications if it wasn't paired with their phone?
Several do this now. Literally dozens of them.

You and Otis...

Is this a NY thing? You're still gonna buy it even you're not really excited about it?

Besides the Garmin watches, what other smart watch does?

Pebble? Needs phone

Moto 360? Needs phone

Apple Watch? Needs phone

G Watch? Needs phone

Galaxy watch? Needs phone

Pebble? Needs phone

Moto 360? Needs phone

Apple Watch? Needs phone

G Watch? Needs phone

I thought several of the above had sim options. Including the G, no? Sim functionality is becoming the new standard. I would assume nearly certainly the next iwatch will be sim enabled.

Jobs would never have made this elitist mistake with the Apple Watch.

"Hey, look at my new Apple Watch I splurged $350 for"

"Hmm, you couldn't afford the $500 one?"

:bag:

Pebble? Needs phone

Moto 360? Needs phone

Apple Watch? Needs phone

G Watch? Needs phone

You are wrong. LG Urbane LTE(my favorite) and the Samsung Gear S watch do not need phones....

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/01/lg-watch-urbane-and-watch-urbane-lte-hands-on/

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/wearables/gear/SM-R7500ZKABTU

The Sim card is the most important factor imo. with that you can use it as a music player to blutooth to wireless headphones. it would be nice to not have to take a phone to workout, or fish, mow lawn, etc.

The only problem with an extra Sim is that there is the monthly fee.

The Sim card is the most important factor imo. with that you can use it as a music player to blutooth to wireless headphones. it would be nice to not have to take a phone to workout, or fish, mow lawn, etc.

I watched part of the keynote and Cook said that you can listen to music through Bluetooth headphones with just the Watch.

culdeus said:
MattFancy said:
culdeus said:
MattFancy said:
culdeus said:
MattFancy said:
fantasycurse42 said:

Pebble? Needs phone

Moto 360? Needs phone

Apple Watch? Needs phone

G Watch? Needs phone

I thought several of the above had sim options. Including the G, no? Sim functionality is becoming the new standard. I would assume nearly certainly the next iwatch will be sim enabled.
Honestly did not know that. I thought they needed to be paired with your phone. Wonder why more aren't using the SIM option then.

I watched part of the keynote and Cook said that you can listen to music through Bluetooth headphones with just the Watch.
Maybe you can DL a playlist or something, but there is no way you can stream without a SIM. This might not be a big deal for some, but the bigger issue is that if you can't stream, you can't get messages, or make calls. So you don't have your phone, you really just have a blutooth ipod.

A Sim card is inevitable in the next one if it already exist on some non-apple watches.

The freedom a Sim card provides is great, but the additional monthly payments won't be too attractive to customers.

I'm paying for Internet at home & on my cell phone. Why do I have to pay for it on a watch and my car?

Quez said:
johnnyrock62000 said:

Maybe you can DL a playlist or something, but there is no way you can stream without a SIM. This might not be a big deal for some, but the bigger issue is that if you can't stream, you can't get messages, or make calls. So you don't have your phone, you really just have a blutooth ipod.A Sim card is inevitable in the next one if it already exist on some non-apple watches.

The freedom a Sim card provides is great, but the additional monthly payments won't be too attractive to customers.

I'm paying for Internet at home & on my cell phone. Why do I have to pay for it on a watch and my car?
I agree with you. But you didn't mention streaming, checking messages or making calls in the quoted post. I was just saying you can listen to music on the Watch without a phone.

Huawei Talk Band 2 looks a lot more compelling IMO
I like the looks of that product as well but when it comes to Huawei you just never know what is going to be released when and where. Their phablets have been pretty great but I've never seen one in the wild.

But why will I ever need it? My wife bought an iPad and the kids use it, but it can't replace a laptop for me. Similarly, I don't see how a watch replaces a phone or justifies its purchase.
For the same reason someone in your house needed an iPad, someone may eventually need an iwatch.
Someone invite Cook and Ive to the FFA so they can take notes from our gurus about how to run a company.
I think someone already did. They found out no matter what the apple watch is, some people will buy it the first day it's available no questions asked. In multiple threads even.

I was just saying you can listen to music on the Watch without a phone.
To an extent.

In classic apple fashion you may be paying(or overpaying) for 8gb of storage in a watch but.... wait for it.... apple has decided you will only be allowed to store 2gb of music in that 8gb of storage. According to apple that's enough storage for a workout worth of music. Why WOULDN'T you want to upload/download/delete songs from itunes between every workout!?........

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/10/8182397/apple-watch-8gb-storage-music

... you almost couldn't make this stuff up. Waiting patiently to hear from icon why this is a great "FEATURE".

Quez said:
The freedom a Sim card provides is great, but the additional monthly payments won't be too attractive to customers.I'm paying for Internet at home & on my cell phone. Why do I have to pay for it on a watch and my car?
Well, if you're looking to have a bundled data plan on T-mobile you get unlimited talk/text/music streaming and "500mb of high speed data" for $5. with some of their phone plans. That sounds like very little data but keep in mind that on a screen that small you'll be getting text, pedometer, time, calender, traffic, weather, etc updates which will mostly be text so I would imagine people wouldn't go through that very fast. I'm not sure if you get 3g data after the "high speed" or not. Seems like text updates should work fine over 3g to me.

Without one of the qualifying data bundles I believe the unlimited talk/text/music streaming and "500mb of high speed data" for $15/month. Between a phablet on freedompop and the watch plan for $15/month I could probably get by with wifi the rest of the time. Sure hope they have a similar deal for the LG Urbane.

It's early days but I think the other carriers watch data plans try to fold the cost of the watch into the data plan for customers that have really, really poor math skills.

First new product category introduced by Apple without Jobs influence.

It could very well work out, but it's a huge moment for Apple as a company.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just saying you can listen to music on the Watch without a phone.
To an extent.

In classic apple fashion you may be paying(or overpaying) for 8gb of storage in a watch but.... wait for it.... apple has decided you will only be allowed to store 2gb of music in that 8gb of storage. According to apple that's enough storage for a workout worth of music. Why WOULDN'T you want to upload/download/delete songs from itunes between every workout!?........

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/10/8182397/apple-watch-8gb-storage-music

... you almost couldn't make this stuff up. Waiting patiently to hear from icon why this is a great "FEATURE".
Wat?

First new product category introduced by Apple without Jobs influence.

It could very well work out, but it's a huge moment for Apple as a company.
And yet I don't think there would have been this many options if Jobs was still around.
that was something that stuck out right from the beginning. it goes against the apple keep it simple for the customer strategy Jobs was so passionate about.

Apple has done great since he's passed, but so far it's just been incrementally improving the existing product line.

Huawei Talk Band 2 looks a lot more compelling IMO
I like the looks of that product as well but when it comes to Huawei you just never know what is going to be released when and where. Their phablets have been pretty great but I've never seen one in the wild.
Supposedly it won't hit the states until Sept. The features are pretty limited, but really, I don't want to read a whole email on my wrist... I just want the notification and the health tracking and a clock. The 6 day battery and the fact that its also a Bluetooth headset make it pretty compelling to me. No idea on price yet, but I'm guessing it'll be somewhere around $200.

Users who are viewing this thread