What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

 Apple Watch ⌚ (1 Viewer)

adonis said:
The Commish said:
:lmao: @ the predictable ####show. Back to questions.

Does this thing have GPS in it? I assume that if you wanted to listen to music it'd be via bluetooth?
No, it uses the GPS from the phone, which makes it quite inconvenient if you need a watch and phone to track your runs. However, no comparable smartwatch has GPS and a good battery life, so for now, it's a tradeoff.
:oldunsure: What do you mean by "smartwatch" here? Seems like a very narrowed group of competitors to make the statement regarding GPS and battery life.

adonis said:
The Commish said:

Does this thing have GPS in it? I assume that if you wanted to listen to music it'd be via bluetooth?
No, it uses the GPS from the phone, which makes it quite inconvenient if you need a watch and phone to track your runs. However, no comparable smartwatch has GPS and a good battery life, so for now, it's a tradeoff.
:oldunsure: What do you mean by "smartwatch" here? Seems like a very narrowed group of competitors to make the statement regarding GPS and battery life.
I don't have any specific qualifications, but certainly one that is in color, has a touch screen, has the ability to load different apps by third party vendors, and does a variety of different things rather than just being a primary "fitness" watch, or something else more specialized. Just took a wild stab here, as I'm not sure there's a clear definition I've seen.

However, many of the wearables I've seen that have been referred to as "smartwatches", will be gone in a year or two, replaced by things that are much more like the apple watches and the droid watches we're seeing coming out now. Kinda like the nokia phones, and the iriver mp3 players after the iphone and ipod. Other devices conformed to the industry leaders, and the ones that lagged behind or were more specialized, pretty quickly get ingested by the leaders as feature upgrades.

Again, just guessing here.

tommyGunZ said:
cstu said:
tommyGunZ said:
When I'm looking for a luxury sports car am I an idiot for not looking at Civics before buying a Ferrari?

They refusal of you anti-Apple guys to admit that Apple products are premium products is far worse than the Apple religiousness that you mock.
Are you talking about the ones that I can't even stick a SD card into?

If Apple was selling Ferraris they would only have 200 hp and tell people it's as good as a Lambo.
Why would I want to stick a SD card into my watch?
... because you don't want to have to spoon feed 2gb of music onto it?

A lot of people want the "sport" watch to exercise with and needing to carry both a phone and a watch doesn't seem all that sporty to me. If you can't stream your music it's much easier to have it all on your device instead of swapping audio on and off of it every few days..

Everything out there so far seems to point back to it being a $150+ accessory to the phone. Do the "fitness watches" have space for music etc? If not, that might be the one thing it has over them. Last I read there was space for around 2G of music? Is that correct?
What accessory is $150?

tommyGunZ said:
cstu said:
tommyGunZ said:
When I'm looking for a luxury sports car am I an idiot for not looking at Civics before buying a Ferrari?

They refusal of you anti-Apple guys to admit that Apple products are premium products is far worse than the Apple religiousness that you mock.

If Apple was selling Ferraris they would only have 200 hp and tell people it's as good as a Lambo.
Why would I want to stick a SD card into my watch?
... because you don't want to have to spoon feed 2gb of music onto it?

A lot of people want the "sport" watch to exercise with and needing to carry both a phone and a watch doesn't seem all that sporty to me. If you can't stream your music it's much easier to have it all on your device instead of swapping audio on and off of it every few days..
Seems like such ability would severely affect water tolerance. Running in rain would worry me.

adonis said:
The Commish said:

I don't have any specific qualifications, but certainly one that is in color, has a touch screen, has the ability to load different apps by third party vendors, and does a variety of different things rather than just being a primary "fitness" watch, or something else more specialized. Just took a wild stab here, as I'm not sure there's a clear definition I've seen.

However, many of the wearables I've seen that have been referred to as "smartwatches", will be gone in a year or two, replaced by things that are much more like the apple watches and the droid watches we're seeing coming out now. Kinda like the nokia phones, and the iriver mp3 players after the iphone and ipod. Other devices conformed to the industry leaders, and the ones that lagged behind or were more specialized, pretty quickly get ingested by the leaders as feature upgrades.

Again, just guessing here.
I was asking what YOU meant...no need to really guess is there? You should know what you're talking about :oldunsure: Just wanted to make sure you weren't including the exercise watches and such. Thanks

I saw an interesting TED talk recently that discusses why companies like Apple are successful and why competitors are still trying to catch up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp0HIF3SfI4

It's interesting to me because the debate against Apple is "What" is being sold (specs) but according to the speaker, Simon Sinek, what drives most people to buy things is not the "What" but the "Why." In Apple's case it's the intuitive UI and high quality of the experience.

And no offense to the one who bought it to run with...but there are other watches that destroy the apple watch for running and do have on board music and are much more functional.
MUCH more functional? At the very least the jury is still out on this one. It only just came out. Developers are surely working on it. Lots of them.
For running? Yes, there are several out there more functional for that purpose. Having a gps and all.

Last edited by a moderator:
adonis said:
The Commish said:

Garmin VivoActive does.Sony has one with GPS too.

I saw an interesting TED talk recently that discusses why companies like Apple are successful and why competitors are still trying to catch up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp0HIF3SfI4

It's interesting to me because the debate against Apple is "What" is being sold (specs) but according to the speaker, Simon Sinek, what drives most people to buy things is not the "What" but the "Why." In Apple's case it's the intuitive UI and high quality of the experience.
Exactly. Combine this with the "Death of the spec" and you'll start to get the picture.

I guarantee 90% of the dorks beating their chests over Octo-Core processors wouldn't be able to tell the difference between octo/quad core in use... but it gives them a quantitative item to help them feel like their phone is superior :)

Bottom line is both platforms are great... pick an OS you prefer and roll with.

cstu said:
Are you still #####ing about the loss of floppy drives on your laptops too?

Cmon man.... physical media is dead. If you're afraid to get out of bed with the corpse, that's your decision. Just let us know when you're ready to get back into the game.

Of all the anti-iPhone gripes... this one is comically bad.

Lucked out. My cousin (Apple Employee) offered up his 50% discount on the watch.

Went with:

Apple Watch 42mm Stainless Steel Case with Bright Blue Leather Loop - Large

And no offense to the one who bought it to run with...but there are other watches that destroy the apple watch for running and do have on board music and are much more functional.
MUCH more functional? At the very least the jury is still out on this one. It only just came out. Developers are surely working on it. Lots of them.
For running? Yes, there are several out there more functional for that purpose. Having a gps and all.
When I said I wanted it for running it wasn't really for GPS.

Lucked out. My cousin (Apple Employee) offered up his 50% discount on the watch.

Went with:

Lucky soma#####
No doubt. ?⌚⌚⌚️?

He has like 90 days to use the discount. Pretty telling how he didn't want it, though. The watch has lots of convincing to do, even with a big Apple user like me.

cstu said:

Cmon man.... physical media is dead. If you're afraid to get out of bed with the corpse, that's your decision. Just let us know when you're ready to get back into the game.

:lmao:

An SD card isn't any more 'physical media' than the hard drive in your phone.

You don't mind over-paying for memory, I get it.

Went with:

Lucky soma#####
No doubt. ?⌚⌚⌚️?He has like 90 days to use the discount. Pretty telling how he didn't want it, though. The watch has lots of convincing to do, even with a big Apple user like me.
Are you concerned with what some people may think of you when they see you wearing one?

cstu said:

Would it help you feel a little better about your antiquated ways if I said "removable media"?

How's that DVD collection coming along? ;)

cstu said:

Yeah I have never understood the whole "nobody cares about specs!" argument when it comes to storage. Who are these people that hate having more storage? Having local storage extends battery life. That should be reason enough all by itself.

"But, but apple will sell me a 64gb version several years from now for just hundreds and hundreds of dollars more than the eunick version, I mean base model, that I am spending hundreds and hundreds on today".

Or you could just slide in a 64gb memory card today for ~$20.

I thought you meant other watches are much more functional overall, not just for runners. I haven't seen Apple positioning the watch in such a limited way. Surely there are possibilities and things we don't know that we don't know, that may be great. This is v1.0. When I got my first smart phone I was excited to be able to get on the internet from virtually anywhere. Who knew at the time that having a flashlight, radio, video recorder, camera, games, GPS, accelerometer, etc., would be so indispensable?

I haven't ordered a Watch, but I'm intrigued by the possibilities to come. If they don't come or aren't conveyed well, then oh well.

Everything out there so far seems to point back to it being a $150+ accessory to the phone. Do the "fitness watches" have space for music etc? If not, that might be the one thing it has over them. Last I read there was space for around 2G of music? Is that correct?
What accessory is $150?
:oldunsure: Trick question?
No, was serious. I have heard of third party bands for the watch that may have batteries built in that sounded pretty cool but never heard a price on the final product. Is that what you meant? What is the $150 accessory?

Went with:

Lucky soma#####
No doubt. ?⌚⌚⌚️?He has like 90 days to use the discount. Pretty telling how he didn't want it, though. The watch has lots of convincing to do, even with a big Apple user like me.
Are you concerned with what some people may think of you when they see you wearing one?
Seriously?

What accessory is $150?
No, was serious. I have heard of third party bands for the watch that may have batteries built in that sounded pretty cool but never heard a price on the final product. Is that what you meant? What is the $150 accessory?
I'm pretty sure he meant the Watch is an accessory to the phone, since they're tied together. He just got the price wrong.

BoltBacker said:
What accessory is $150?
The watch. $150+ accessory....is that better??

johnnyrock62000 said:
BoltBacker said:
What accessory is $150?
I'm pretty sure he meant the Watch is an accessory to the phone, since they're tied together. He just got the price wrong.
Sorry...the last target price I saw was $150 for the entry level. Did that change? What did it go up to for the basic model?

One said:
eoMMan said:
One said:
Bucky86 said:
One said:

Went with:

Lucky soma#####
Seriously?
I'll take that as a no. Cool.

BoltBacker said:
cstu said:
[icon] said:

Yeah I have never understood the whole "nobody cares about specs!" argument when it comes to storage. Who are these people that hate having more storage? Having local storage extends battery life. That should be reason enough all by itself.

"But, but apple will sell me a 64gb version several years from now for just hundreds and hundreds of dollars more than the eunick version, I mean base model, that I am spending hundreds and hundreds on today".

I know that I don't care about external storage because I've never run out of space on a phone or tablet (and I've never had the highest memory option) and I have a long glorious history of misplacing thumb drives so I'd imagine I could easily have the same problem with SD cards.

I don't speak for everyone. If external memory is important to you, by all means don't use the Apple ecosystem.

But every time we have one of these threads people come in here and demand Apple users justify their purchases. It's incredibly silly. Particularly in this case because one reason why existing Apple users are going to select the Apple Watch is because they don't want to switch to an entirely new ecosystem. So its irrelevant whether the Apple Watch is "better" than Android Wear.

johnnyrock62000 said:
BoltBacker said:
What accessory is $150?
Sorry...the last target price I saw was $150 for the entry level. Did that change? What did it go up to for the basic model?
Dude, this is Apple we're talking about here. The Apple Watch's charger probably retails for $150 ;)

The watch starts at $349 for the cheapest model I believe.

johnnyrock62000 said:
BoltBacker said:
What accessory is $150?
Dude, this is Apple we're talking about here. The Apple Watch's charger probably retails for $150 ;)

:lol:

My bad :bag: I'm not a shareholder anymore so I don't pay that close attention. This certainly puts perspective the "feature" discussion above though. Holy poop!

Just because Apple is priced like a premium product doesn't make it one. The Macbook line certainly is the best-in-class product, but the phones and tablets aren't. The Watch looks pretty far behind its cheaper competitors, at least for now.

Just because Apple is priced like a premium product doesn't make it one. The Macbook line certainly is the best-in-class product, but the phones and tablets aren't. The Watch looks pretty far behind its cheaper competitors, at least for now.
I honk you are in the minority on this one, iPhones and iPads are almost universally ranked best in class every year when updated, and almost every review of the watch says that while there are a few shortcomings, it is by far the best all around smart watch available.

I think it's safe to say (based on all the opinions/information/specs out there) it's a "jack of all trades, master of none" type device as or right now. It's not to watches what the ipod was to music devices or the iPad was to tablets...especially at the price.

BoltBacker said:
cstu said:
[icon] said:

Let's not pretend this is a uniquely Apple thing. Even Google hates external/removable/physical storage as antiquated and has been trying to kill it for years. Unfortunately a segment of the mobile market fears change and clings to "that techy nonsense left over from the paleolithic era of computing"

I think it's safe to say (based on all the opinions/information/specs out there) it's a "jack of all trades, master of none" type device as or right now. It's not to watches what the ipod was to music devices or the iPad was to tablets...especially at the price.
I would agree. Nifty little gadget but not something I'll be buying.

I know that I don't care about external storage because I've never run out of space on a phone or tablet (and I've never had the highest memory option) and I have a long glorious history of misplacing thumb drives so I'd imagine I could easily have the same problem with SD cards.

I don't speak for everyone. If external memory is important to you, by all means don't use the Apple ecosystem.

But every time we have one of these threads people come in here and demand Apple users justify their purchases. It's incredibly silly. Particularly in this case because one reason why existing Apple users are going to select the Apple Watch is because they don't want to switch to an entirely new ecosystem. So its irrelevant whether the Apple Watch is "better" than Android Wear.
Apparently you've never used one because you insert the SD card into the device and is functions as a second hard drive.

Apparently you've never used one because you insert the SD card into the device and is functions as a second hard drive.
The entire point of having a slot is for it to be removable, because some people don't always have the same SD card in the device. Or because people want to be able to insert the SD card from their camera into the device instead of doing a computer based transfer. Again, if that's important to you, please buy accordingly. It's not very important to me in the cloud computing era. It's not as if Apple engineers are idiots who have never considered an SD card. It's not some exotic technology. If they felt that it was an important selling point, they'd reverse course the way they did with cameras on IPads and bigger screens on phones. That they haven't after all this time suggests that they've correctly determined that it's not a very marketable feature.

The entire point of having a slot is for it to be removable, because some people don't always have the same SD card in the device. Or because people want to be able to insert the SD card from their camera into the device instead of doing a computer based transfer. Again, if that's important to you, please buy accordingly. It's not very important to me in the cloud computing era. It's not as if Apple engineers are idiots who have never considered an SD card. It's not some exotic technology. If they felt that it was an important selling point, they'd reverse course the way they did with cameras on IPads and bigger screens on phones. That they haven't after all this time suggests that they've correctly determined that it's not a very marketable feature.
That is false. The point is to expand the amount of storage you have on the device at a price point well, well below the outrageous price apple is trying to charge you for an extra 32gb of storage.

Let's not pretend this is a uniquely Apple thing. Even Google hates external/removable/physical storage as antiquated and has been trying to kill it for years. Unfortunately a segment of the mobile market fears change and clings to "that techy nonsense left over from the paleolithic era of computing"
Why? :moneybag:

The difference is that non-Apple people won't put up with it.
According to the Apple website here are the prices for identically spec'd iPhone 6 +, the only difference is the memory:

16GB - baseline

64GB - $100 more than baseline

128GB - $200 more than baseline

To gain the additional 48GB you're paying over $2 a GB.

To gain the additional 112GB you're paying over $1.75 a GB.

Kingston 64GB SD card on Amazon - less than $30 with free shipping ($.47 per GB)

Kingston 128GB SD card on Amazon - less than $85 with free shipping ($.67 per GB)

I expect manufacturers to get some markup on parts, but when it comes to memory it's easy to see how much they're really gouging you. Don't give the consumer an option that might undermine a high profit area. Apple knows if they come out with a 16GB iPhone that has an SD slot their 128GB and 64GB sales would take a large hit. While it's not ideal for the consumer, it's actually brilliant on Apple's part and appears to working extremely well for them.

It's not marketable to Apple users...no question about that, at least not any more. That's all they care about.

ETA: Though I will say, I sorta miss the flexibility with my iPod Touch. That's primarily because it doesn't have a cell radio in it, so anything I want to do music wise, I have to find wifi. But it's not a huge deal to me.

BoltBacker said:
cstu said:
[icon] said:

Lol.

Well, yeah, google wants you to use their cloud based storage solutions so of course they want on device storage to be minimized.

Similarly, I'm sure apple will pay a pretty penny for the next watch that gives you... 16gb(?) of storage on a ~$400 device down the line because presumably people would like to use these things without being tethered to a phone when you go for a run.

Having a memory card slot only makes sense for memory companies that sell the cards... AND EVERY SINGLE CONSUMER. I'm not even sure why the people that may or may never even use it are so adamant in their argument they won't use it. It's like someone railing against all-wheel drive if the added price was a few pennies.

johnnyrock62000 said:
BoltBacker said:
What accessory is $150?

My bad :bag: I'm not a shareholder anymore so I don't pay that close attention. This certainly puts perspective the "feature" discussion above though. Holy poop!
And the $350 is for a "sports watch". If you want one that really looks like a nice watch(metal band) I think the "cheap" version is $650.

johnnyrock62000 said:
BoltBacker said:
What accessory is $150?

And the $350 is for a "sports watch". If you want one that really looks like a nice watch(metal band) I think the "cheap" version is $650.
This is getting pretty expensive for a meh, "jack of all trades" accessory only useable with iPhone, no? I can justify the price if it were a stand alone.....I'm just not seeing it here.

Apple has really done their work on customers. Well done, Apple, well done.

NO ONE takes their SD card out after putting it in their device, unless maybe they buy a bigger card.

There's no SD card in Apple devices being they want to gouge their customers for over-priced memory. It may have a side benefit of making devices smaller but the primary reason is higher profit margins.

johnnyrock62000 said:
BoltBacker said:
What accessory is $150?

This is getting pretty expensive for a meh, "jack of all trades" accessory only useable with iPhone, no? I can justify the price if it were a stand alone.....I'm just not seeing it here.
You seem to be literally the only person on earth who thought this was going to be a stand alone product.

Here's the thing - if you are comfortable over-paying for memory because you really like their devices, that's fine. What I can't understand is the denial of why they are doing it. This is not just an Apple thing - when other companies remove SD slots I say the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread