What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

 Apple Watch ⌚ (1 Viewer)

Johnny Rock

Footballguy
Lots of rumors of an Apple iWatch being designed and produced. I'm intrigued, especially by the bendable "Willow Glass."

I suspect Jobs had a wish list of products that he dreamed up but that he didn't have the time to make or the technology didn't exist yet. Perhaps this is the first of those items? There's probably better articles available but I thought I'd get the discussion started since rumors have been out there for awhile and no thread.

http://www.t3.com/news/apple-iwatch-rumours-features-release-date

The Apple iWatch is rumoured to be in some form of production right now we round up the news and speculation on its specs, features and potential release date

Apple is rumoured to be developing a wrist watch of some description, which would most likely synch up with an iPhone or iPad to give you updates on youre wrist, allow you to control other devices and pull data from the cloud.

Supposedly a team of about 100 product designers are working on the iWatch including managers, marketers and software and hardware engineers who previously worked on the iPhone and iPad. Thats according to two people familiar with the companys plans, which puts them in a remarkably small category.

According to the two in the know, the project is beyond experimentation phase in its development.

Apple iWatch Features

A further two informers claiming to be au fait with Apples various super-plans say it is experimenting with a wristwatch-like device made of curved glass, operating on iOS. The NYT notes Corning has developed bendable glass last year called Willow Glass which could be used to wrap around something wrist, and cites Forresters claim that Apples certainly made a lot of hiring in that area.

There are also claims Apple is in discussions with Chinese manufacturer Foxconn, which makes a large number of iPhone and iPad parts, about producing an iWatch. Foxconn are apparently working to make more power-efficient displays and stripping down chips, aimed at multiple Foxconn customers. This Wall Street Journal report also claims Apple has hired employees with backgrounds in sensors and related tecehnologies.

Apple iTV, Siri and iCloud

While many have dismissed the idea of a Apple iWatch in the past, some are coming around to the idea in think pieces. The Cult of Mac notes that recently Siri and iCloud has become massively important to Apple and that these two technologies actually lend themselves very well to a wristwatch strategy. It also points out that it would be particularly well suited as a remote control to any TV that may be being worked on. The Apple iTV is an entire area of speculation in itself, which weve collated and summarised for you here.

It has also been pointed out that an iWatch wouldnt be such a dramatic new area for Apple, since the square iPod Nano with watchstraps can act as, well, pretty much a watch with knobs on. A Blog To Watch also concurs that Siri integration will be key.

Apple iWatch: Flexible/curved screen

There is some reason to belive the Apple iWatch might not be just around the corner, however. There are suggestions it could be three years off - Corning says thats at least as long as it will take companies to start rolling out flexible displays, which the iWatch is supposed to feature.

Corning produces Willow glass, which companies could use to create flexible or curved displays. But according to Bloomberg, president of the firm James Clappin said in an interview: People are not accustomed to glass you roll up. The ability of people to take it and use it to make a product is limited.

Cornign has made the glass and is making a lot of effort to teach very big name customers how to use it but the firm estimates were at least three years off before anyone will produce proper consumer electronics with them. Could one of those big names be Apple? There's no way to be sure, but certainly it doesn't seem too far fetched.

Apple iWatch: Battery

There are reams of speculation on precisely what tech the device would have under the hood, which at this point may seem like a rumour bridge too far but certainly one thing that would seem obvious is some form of better battery performance, since you wouldnt want to take a watch off and charge it twice a day like can be required for a smartphone. On this point, some have highlighted a patent Apple owns for wireless charging.

Apple iWatch: Design

While early possibilities led us to believe an iWatch would be effectively an iPod Nano on a strap, the latest developments are much more intriguing. According to a patent application unearthed by AppleInsider, Cupertino has been investigating the possibility of a wraparound design similar to the slap bracelets of the early 1990s.

According to the patent, the iWatch could be made of a flexible screen that wraps entirely around the user's wrist and utilises solar power and kinetic energy to keep the battery topped up.

A couple of interesting mockups have hit the web, but unfortunately there wasn't much to be gleaned from the handdrawn sketches submitted as part of the patent application.

Source: AppleInsider

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be nice to be able to walk around the house and be able to answer texts without carrying my phone.

If they pull off the glucose sensor it will absolutely demolish a whole industry. Same with a wearable HRM.

I'm a buyer regardless of anything :bag:

I already have a fairly nice watch collection, but this will be a good add. I actually wish it was more like a Fuel Band instead, so I can wear one of my watches and keep this on the other wrist at all times.

Biggest issue is going to be size. Watches have gotten much smaller in the years since Fossil came on the scene. Samsung watch is HUGE. You can't make a watch super smart and have it not be huge. I mean fitbit just tracks steps and time and is about the same size as a typical watch you see today.

Are these watches going to be waterproof?

Plus, I am predicting a rise in the incidence of arm cancer ten years after these come out.

Count me out.

Must have:
Bright display visible in direct sunlight.
Min 24 hour battery life... preferably able to last a week on a charge (kinetic/solar charge support?)

Comfortable to wear
Effortless syncing with iPhone

Must have:

Bright display visible in direct sunlight.

Min 24 hour battery life... preferably able to last a week on a charge (kinetic/solar charge support?)

Comfortable to wear

Effortless syncing with iPhone
The bold are guaranteed - The other two are probable IMO

So lots of buzz again about a September 9th iWatch unveiling. But will Apple double dip along with the iPhone 6? This IT Blog says that the wait time may be 5 months. http://www.computerworld.com/article/2600626/wearables/apple-iwatch-release-date-itbwcw.html

"How quickly you forget The Teachings Of Steve. “Thou shalt milk every new product for maximum buzz.” ... No truly revolutionary product in Apple’s history has ever been launched alongside another. It’s a waste of marvel. [And] is it realistic to get people digging into their pockets for an iPhone 6, and then, on the very same day, tell them they need to spend another $300-400 on the iWatch?

But now that I’ve talked it over with myself, I’m hoping John Paczkowski is right. One massive event would be amazing. All those “Apple doesn’t innovate” arguments would be banished forever."

So lots of buzz again about a September 9th iWatch unveiling. But will Apple double dip along with the iPhone 6? This IT Blog says that the wait time may be 5 months. http://www.computerworld.com/article/2600626/wearables/apple-iwatch-release-date-itbwcw.html

"How quickly you forget The Teachings Of Steve. “Thou shalt milk every new product for maximum buzz.” ... No truly revolutionary product in Apple’s history has ever been launched alongside another. It’s a waste of marvel. [And] is it realistic to get people digging into their pockets for an iPhone 6, and then, on the very same day, tell them they need to spend another $300-400 on the iWatch?

But now that I’ve talked it over with myself, I’m hoping John Paczkowski is right. One massive event would be amazing. All those “Apple doesn’t innovate” arguments would be banished forever."
The iPhone hasn't been a revolutionary product for some time now. Incremental innovation at best.

The iWatch, on the other hand, does have the possibility of being revolutionary. Classic case of Apple following with a (perhaps) much better product.

But $400 (rumored price point)?

It better be damned revolutionary.

I'm guessing (purely hypothetical:

1) bio sensors for fitness tracking

2) extensive Siri integration for voice control/feedback

3) display texts, caller ID, etc to keep phone in pocket

4) FaceTime by forward facing cam (**** Tracy watch)

5) control of music playback via gestures on watch face (vs having to pull phone out)

6) peer to peer gaming... Could see this getting popular

Interesting feature would be a clasp cam on lower wrist side to act as a camera (w watch face previewing image).

Is that enough to make me want one? Eh probably not.

If it became a vehicle for mobile payments (display a qr code or emit magnetic or RFID code readable by all existing card readers... THAT could be sweet (just hold wristwatch to any CC reader to pay for stuff)

Like six people will care about the watch. Makes sense to release it simultaneously with the workhorse so it doesn't appear as if they are putting it forward as their next big thing, because in that context it would be a colossal failure.

So what is this watch going to be able to do and why would people want it?
The wild speculation is that the bio feedback it generates will give those that wear it lower health insurance premiums. So by wearing it you save money and possibly live longer. That's a pretty big deal.

The wild speculation is that the bio feedback it generates will give those that wear it lower health insurance premiums. So by wearing it you save money and possibly live longer. That's a pretty big deal.
Sweet. I'll be happy to wear the watch of any fatties for half of the variance in premiums.

That sounds like pretty wild speculation.

Like six people will care about the watch.
:lol:

That's precisely why the tech industry has been wildly speculating about it for years now... This would be among the most anticipated new tech product launches in the last decade.

Nobody gives two ####s that Samsung released their galaxy watch because everyone is waiting to see what apple does.

What's apple's last large-scale consumer electronic device flip? iPod? iPhone? iPad?

:lol: six people.

"Why would I want a big iphone?" was the common sentiment when the ipad was released. Since that turned out ok for apple, I'll wait and see what the iWatch has to offer.

"Why would I want a big iphone?" was the common sentiment when the ipad was released. Since that turned out ok for apple, I'll wait and see what the iWatch has to offer.
I don't recall that being the sentiment, but obviously we don't know what this thing is going to do yet, so yes, let's wait and see. Just wildly speculating like everybody else.

Like six people will buy the watch. Makes sense to release it simultaneously with the workhorse so it doesn't appear as if they are putting it forward as their next big thing, because in that context it would be a colossal failure.
FMP
Okay, Steve Ballmer
Weird.

And maybe nobody gave two ####s about the Samsung watch because it is a watch that offers little no value to them?
I agree the samsung watch offers little value to it's proposed customers.

5) control of music playback via gestures on watch face (vs having to pull phone out)

Interesting feature would be a clasp cam on lower wrist side to act as a camera (w watch face previewing image).

If it became a vehicle for mobile payments (display a qr code or emit magnetic or RFID code readable by all existing card readers... THAT could be sweet (just hold wristwatch to any CC reader to pay for stuff)
300-400 bucks for this?

What of this does the ####ty samsung watch not already have?

This. Myself included doubting the iPad. Didn't see why you'd need a device between phone and laptop.

This. Myself included doubting the iPad. Didn't see why you'd need a device between phone and laptop.
I bought an iPad on a weekend when both my phone and laptop had broken. Needed something to Skype with my now fiancé who was in China for work.

Basically only good for browsing the internet laying down with a bigger screen than a phone. Waste of money.

Basically only good for browsing the internet laying down
I put a decent value on this, but agree the only thing an ipad is good for is browsing. I rarely use my laptop for anything non-work related.

Basically only good for browsing the internet laying down
I put a decent value on this, but agree the only thing an ipad is good for is browsing. I rarely use my laptop for anything non-work related.
I enjoy it a lot too, but there are much cheaper tablet that do the same thing.

Apple doesn't even support mobile payments on their phones yet, do they?

I'm not expecting anything innovative out of Apple at this point. I don't think they've given the tech world one new thing worth a damn since Cook took over, focusing more on stifling the innovation of their competitors through litigation than on actually innovating themselves.

That said, they know how to make a good simple user interface and android smart watches are still a PITA to use. I bet these are going to be much more user friendly and maybe give Android that kick in the pants to get serious with these things like they did with tablets.

Like six people will care about the watch.
:lol: Nobody gives two ####s that Samsung released their galaxy watch because everyone is waiting to see what apple does.
I just don't think smart watches will take off no matter what the brand is. Maybe there is a new use, like mobile payments you suggested, but you could just as easily do the same thing with a phone. There could be some sales driver that we have no idea about, a popular game, some new app, etc. Who knows? As of now they are going to need more than fitness & messaging apps to make me or anyone I know want one.

300-400 bucks for this?
Please see the bolded for emphasis. I don't have any affiliation with apple and am wildly speculation like everyone else in here. I'd not put too much stock in the 3-400 price point either.

My guess is we've not seen a iWatch because Apple hasn't nailed down a "killer feature/function" good enough to hang their hat on.

Do keep in mind, there are a LOT of people spending $100-200 for fitness devices just for health sensors.

You have to be kidding me.
No. Look at the acaisitions and hires they have made in the last year.

Do you need to have your phone syncd with a smart watch for it to make calls, use internet, etc? Or do they have their own Sims? I could see some use in not having to lug around my phablet at times if I could just use a watch to text/ call etc.

You have to be kidding me.
No. Look at the acaisitions and hires they have made in the last year.
insurance companies?

Do you need to have your phone syncd with a smart watch for it to make calls, use internet, etc? Or do they have their own Sims? I could see some use in not having to lug around my phablet at times if I could just use a watch to text/ call etc.
Some of the newer ones are going to supposedly have their own sims so that if your phone isn't right next you you you can still get the call.

Health and fitness wearables to track data for insurers and employers has been in the works for a long time.

Health and fitness wearables to track data for insurers and employers has been in the works for a long time.
Sure. And smart phones were in the works long before the iPhone.
I have no idea what they are planning, but a GPS, ANT+ enabled watch that could place calls, etc would replaced Garmins at a 300-400 dollar price point.

For fitness nuts that would be a game changer.

Users who are viewing this thread