Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Johnny Rock

 Apple Watch ⌚

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/12/17109036/applewatch-kardiaband-alivecor-ekg-reader-hyperkalemia-health-artificial-intelligence

AppleWatch wristband sensor claims to detect potassium in your blood — without needles

The AliveCor KardiaBand, a sensor compatible with the Apple Watch, can detect dangerous levels of potassium in blood with 94 percent accuracy. Though the US Food and Drug Administration has not yet approved KardiaBand for this purpose, it’s an interesting step forward considering that, right now, the condition is usually caught using invasive blood tests that use needles.

The KardiaBand by AliveCor is a sensor that snaps into a slot on the watchband. The user touches the sensor, which then takes a reading of the electrical activity of the heart, called an electrocardiogram (EKG). This reading can reveal abnormal heart rhythm and atrial fibrillation (AFib), and the sensor sends the information to an app. Yesterday, at the American College of Cardiology conference in Florida, AliveCor CEO Vic Gundotra presented research done with the Mayo Clinic showing that the same technology can detect too-high levels of potassium in the blood, called hyperkalemia.

To train AI with these data points, the team took the dataset and divided it into parts. They used some of the data to train the network. Basically, they told it which EKG reading patterns showed hyperkalemia, and let the AI learn for itself how to spot the pattern. Once the training was complete, the team tested the AI on a different part of the data to see if, given just the EKG, they could tell if it revealed hyperkalemia. It was about 90 to 94 percent accurate.

$199 for band then $99 per year subscription

https://store.alivecor.com/products/kardiaband

49 minutes ago, LAUNCH said:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/12/17109036/applewatch-kardiaband-alivecor-ekg-reader-hyperkalemia-health-artificial-intelligence

AppleWatch wristband sensor claims to detect potassium in your blood — without needles

The AliveCor KardiaBand, a sensor compatible with the Apple Watch, can detect dangerous levels of potassium in blood with 94 percent accuracy. Though the US Food and Drug Administration has not yet approved KardiaBand for this purpose, it’s an interesting step forward considering that, right now, the condition is usually caught using invasive blood tests that use needles.

The KardiaBand by AliveCor is a sensor that snaps into a slot on the watchband. The user touches the sensor, which then takes a reading of the electrical activity of the heart, called an electrocardiogram (EKG). This reading can reveal abnormal heart rhythm and atrial fibrillation (AFib), and the sensor sends the information to an app. Yesterday, at the American College of Cardiology conference in Florida, AliveCor CEO Vic Gundotra presented research done with the Mayo Clinic showing that the same technology can detect too-high levels of potassium in the blood, called hyperkalemia.

To train AI with these data points, the team took the dataset and divided it into parts. They used some of the data to train the network. Basically, they told it which EKG reading patterns showed hyperkalemia, and let the AI learn for itself how to spot the pattern. Once the training was complete, the team tested the AI on a different part of the data to see if, given just the EKG, they could tell if it revealed hyperkalemia. It was about 90 to 94 percent accurate.

$199 for band then $99 per year subscription

https://store.alivecor.com/products/kardiaband

THIS is the type of stuff where the rubber REALLY hits the road with these smartwatches IMO. Biometric/heath systems that go well beyond your standard step counters. For people with cardiac issues, this device, if accurate, could be an incredible, life-saving development. 

Wow... :thumbup: 

• Like 1

https://9to5mac.com/2018/03/07/golf-analyzer-apple-watch-app/

A lot of people argue that apps on the Apple Watch are completely and utterly useless —insisting that complications are the true potential behind Apple Watch. However, the app Golf Plus wants to buck that trend by potentially replacing your high-end golf analyzing gear with Apple Watch.

The watchOS app will analyze various elements of your swing and provide crucial data on how to improve your swing. It claims the app is very accurate because the Watch is always on your wrist and learns with AI and an internal sensor on the Apple Watch. It also senses a swing 100 times per second.

With Apple Watch Series 2 or above, Golf Plus will also track location data on its own to further enhance the accuracy. It uses this data to figure out how far the ball has gone. The finer details can be found on the corresponding iPhone app for review.

Apple touts the Watch as a fitness tracker, and Golf Plus takes this a step further with tracking sports data. The app is available on the App Store for a hefty $11.99, but that is much cheaper than golf swing analyzer gear. If you’re serious into golfing and wear an Apple Watch, this is the app to check out.

55 minutes ago, LAUNCH said:

https://9to5mac.com/2018/03/07/golf-analyzer-apple-watch-app/

A lot of people argue that apps on the Apple Watch are completely and utterly useless —insisting that complications are the true potential behind Apple Watch. However, the app Golf Plus wants to buck that trend by potentially replacing your high-end golf analyzing gear with Apple Watch.

The watchOS app will analyze various elements of your swing and provide crucial data on how to improve your swing. It claims the app is very accurate because the Watch is always on your wrist and learns with AI and an internal sensor on the Apple Watch. It also senses a swing 100 times per second.

With Apple Watch Series 2 or above, Golf Plus will also track location data on its own to further enhance the accuracy. It uses this data to figure out how far the ball has gone. The finer details can be found on the corresponding iPhone app for review.

Apple touts the Watch as a fitness tracker, and Golf Plus takes this a step further with tracking sports data. The app is available on the App Store for a hefty $11.99, but that is much cheaper than golf swing analyzer gear. If you’re serious into golfing and wear an Apple Watch, this is the app to check out.

Very cool but speaking as someone who was in the golf industry for 13 years, and who saw every possible device of this type imaginable at the annual PGA tradeshow:

There are tons of these type devices out there.. usually having multiple sensors or at least sensors low on the club shaft itself. Even those don't gather GREAT data, without being combined with launch monitor / ball tracking data.

Honestly, all this is doing is capturing the pendulum of the wrist above the joint. It might gather useful tempo data, and perhaps pick up inconsistencies from swing to swing.... but the target market for this is not your "Few rounds a year" guy (who's going to have the truly ####ed up swing that this can see issues with). The people who will care enough about their swing to drop $12 on an app and to spend time working out the issues are decent to good golfers... and those guys require more nuanced data than this can provide, IMO. 

Love the idea though.. just not sure you can get what you need from a watch in this case. I could be wrong... just my .02. 

• Like 1

Has anyone purchased the Series 4?  If so, what are your thoughts?  I still have Series 0, and am thinking of making the jump.

On 11/14/2018 at 2:38 PM, bigbottom said:

Has anyone purchased the Series 4?  If so, what are your thoughts?  I still have Series 0, and am thinking of making the jump.

Thinking of doing the same for my wife. I know next to nothing about these things.

The face on my watch smashed yesterday. I had to talk the wife out of immediately going to the store and buying me a new one just so I could at least explore the option of fixing it. Anyone have any experiences they’d like to share with trying to fix / pay to fix the face?

😒

I bought an Ionic when it first came out. Like the app, battery, and so on. Last summer it stopped working. Got a replacement after about three weeks. Last couple weeks a button quit working and it’s a little weirder now since the one button doesn’t work. Contacted Fitbit and they pretty much told me to pound sand. Gave me a 25% off of a new Fitbit but with sales in stores, this “coupon” is pretty much no use. 

Would not mind a Charge 3 but am pissed at Fitbit. Is the Apple Watch a worthy competitor or are there too many differences to go forward with an Apple Watch? Curious to hear from others. 

On 1/15/2019 at 5:37 AM, bigmarc27 said:

The face on my watch smashed yesterday. I had to talk the wife out of immediately going to the store and buying me a new one just so I could at least explore the option of fixing it. Anyone have any experiences they’d like to share with trying to fix / pay to fix the face?

😒

I smashed mine a year ago. Replaced by Apple store via Apple care. Has worked great since... water seal still works 

1 hour ago, [icon] said:

I smashed mine a year ago. Replaced by Apple store via Apple care. Has worked great since... water seal still works 

How long does the battery last? I’m having trouble thinking about buying one without being able to track sleep cause it has to recharge. 

Got my wife one of these.  Not super impressed so far.  She had a specific app in mind for it but I figured there would be some other neat uses for it.  I got a ticwatch for my android and it seems better at actually sensing what you are doing from a gyro perspective.  :shrug:

2 hours ago, Mario Kart said:

How long does the battery last? I’m having trouble thinking about buying one without being able to track sleep cause it has to recharge. 

It takes next to no time to charge, just wake up, charge it and pick it up off the cradle before leaving the house is what might work

1 hour ago, culdeus said:

So the 4th gen doesn't support Gmail or Hangouts.  Neat. 

I can get my gmail on 4th gen.  It is linked to my email accounts from my phone.  

Edited by D-Day

7 minutes ago, D-Day said:

I can get my gmail on 4th gen.  It is linked to my email accounts from my phone.  

Wife wants work and Gmail separate.  Probably going to return for 3rd gen. 

23 hours ago, Mario Kart said:

Honestly I’m a guy who can barely get through a day with a 5000mah battery pack on my iPhone X (ie a power user) and I have no problem getting over 24 hours out of the Apple Watch. I’ve gone 2 days before but it’s close.

If you’re looking for several days of charge, it’s not for you. If you’ll charge it once every day or two, you’ll be fine. 

It also charges VERY quickly off a 2.1A block. 

3 hours ago, [icon] said:

Honestly I’m a guy who can barely get through a day with a 5000mah battery pack on my iPhone X (ie a power user) and I have no problem getting over 24 hours out of the Apple Watch. I’ve gone 2 days before but it’s close.

If you’re looking for several days of charge, it’s not for you. If you’ll charge it once every day or two, you’ll be fine. 

It also charges VERY quickly off a 2.1A block. 

Is the fitness tracker of the same quality as the Fitbits? With what you wrote, I could see charging it while I shower because I would never test the water issue. So, charging for 10-15 minutes would be the charging time. A part of me says to wait for the Series 5 but there are no sales going on right now anyway.

1 hour ago, Mario Kart said:

Is the fitness tracker of the same quality as the Fitbits? With what you wrote, I could see charging it while I shower because I would never test the water issue. So, charging for 10-15 minutes would be the charging time. A part of me says to wait for the Series 5 but there are no sales going on right now anyway.

I’d say you’ll probably get a day’s use out of 15-25 mins of charging depending on your useage. I put mine on at 6:30 am and I’m at 70% right now. 

Fitness tracker seems quite accurate. 

On 5/21/2019 at 8:03 PM, [icon] said:

I’d say you’ll probably get a day’s use out of 15-25 mins of charging depending on your useage. I put mine on at 6:30 am and I’m at 70% right now. 

Fitness tracker seems quite accurate. 

I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Series 4 but the 3 month wait for the Series 5 is too welcoming. I'd like to jump in now because my Fitbit is acting up, for what I'm used to from it, but three months seems like the right thing to do. Thoughts?