What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

 Apple Watch ⌚ (1 Viewer)

You seem to be literally the only person on earth who thought this was going to be a stand alone product.
I think these wearables will only really take off when they become stand alone products.

I am not looking for more things to take with me out the door every day and remember to attach to a wall outlet teat each night.

Give me a wearable(watch/glasses/etc) that stays charged for at least a week and allows me to leave the phone/keys/credit cards/ID behind then I don't mind the price being $400-$900 for that level of convenience. Hopefully we are seeing these early products as a step in that direction.

BTW the LG watch is a lot closer step and Samsung already has a watch that is a standalone product.

You seem to be literally the only person on earth who thought this was going to be a stand alone product.
I think these wearables will only really take off when they become stand alone products.

I am not looking for more things to take with me out the door every day and remember to attach to a wall outlet teat each night.

Give me a wearable(watch/glasses/etc) that stays charged for at least a week and allows me to leave the phone/keys/credit cards/ID behind then I don't mind the price being $400-$900 for that level of convenience. Hopefully we are seeing these early products as a step in that direction.

BTW the LG watch is a lot closer step and Samsung already has a watch that is a standalone product.
We have a user interface hurdle to overcome before a wearable can replace the cell phone....

Not to mention, #### browsing the web on these little things. I don't share the compelling need for a wearable to be completely standalone. Would something to work as a GPS on a jog be nice? Sure. Am I looking for something to replace my phone? No.

I find it's some of the folks who mocked the 4" screen as unuseable are now wanting to lean on a standalone 2" screen.

JMHO... everyone's needs will vary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's not pretend this is a uniquely Apple thing. Even Google hates external/removable/physical storage as antiquated and has been trying to kill it for years. Unfortunately a segment of the mobile market fears change and clings to "that techy nonsense left over from the paleolithic era of computing"
Why? :moneybag:

The difference is that non-Apple people won't put up with it.
According to the Apple website here are the prices for identically spec'd iPhone 6 +, the only difference is the memory:

16GB - baseline

64GB - $100 more than baseline

128GB - $200 more than baseline

To gain the additional 48GB you're paying over $2 a GB.

To gain the additional 112GB you're paying over $1.75 a GB.

Kingston 64GB SD card on Amazon - less than $30 with free shipping ($.47 per GB)

Kingston 128GB SD card on Amazon - less than $85 with free shipping ($.67 per GB)

I expect manufacturers to get some markup on parts, but when it comes to memory it's easy to see how much they're really gouging you. Don't give the consumer an option that might undermine a high profit area. Apple knows if they come out with a 16GB iPhone that has an SD slot their 128GB and 64GB sales would take a large hit. While it's not ideal for the consumer, it's actually brilliant on Apple's part and appears to working extremely well for them.
The weird part is always how people argue to defend their BS moneygrab in this area.

When I'm looking for a luxury sports car am I an idiot for not looking at Civics before buying a Ferrari?

They refusal of you anti-Apple guys to admit that Apple products are premium products is far worse than the Apple religiousness that you mock.
Just because Apple is priced like a premium product doesn't make it one. The Macbook line certainly is the best-in-class product, but the phones and tablets aren't. The Watch looks pretty far behind its cheaper competitors, at least for now.
I honk you are in the minority on this one, iPhones and iPads are almost universally ranked best in class every year when updated, and almost every review of the watch says that while there are a few shortcomings, it is by far the best all around smart watch available.
I'm more interested in my experiences than rankings. Pretty excited that my fiancee is taking my iPad2 on a work trip to India so that I can finally excuse buying a better tablet. :)

We have a user interface hurdle to overcome before a wearable can replace the cell phone....

Not to mention, #### browsing the web on these little things. I don't share the compelling need for a wearable to be completely standalone. Would something to work as a GPS on a jog be nice? Sure. Am I looking for something to replace my phone? No.

I find it's some of the folks who mocked the 4" screen as unuseable are now wanting to lean on a standalone 2" screen.

JMHO... everyone's needs will vary.
To me the huge push for Google Now and Siri was for the transition to wearables. A wearable that responds to voice commands and a tablet(/phablet) to use in certain use cases makes the most sense to me. Trying to type on a 4" screen is an awful interface experience and always will be.

I currently use my phone as an audio device 90% of the time already and absolutely hate typing on it even though the screen is bigger than 4".

:lmao: Lotta anti-apple folks can't just leave the thread can they? Why so angry?

"I'M SOOOOOOOO GLAD MY FIANCE IS TAKING THIS POS IPAD!!!!!! I'M GOING TO GO BUY A REAL ONE NOW!!!!! HAR HAR HAR HAR."
Yep, hate apple so hard I bought a macbook. A lot of us are just interested in new tech coming out, but a little creeped out by amount of fanboy posts on display like the above.

People still type on keyboards? At minimum I assumed people used swype IF they didn't just talk to the phone...go figure.

Must be a tough time to be an Apple hater.

Reading through the threads, I can't help but wonder if they feel their message board efforts have some sort of negative impact on the brand.

Pretty pathetic. :lol:

:lmao: Lotta anti-apple folks can't just leave the thread can they? Why so angry?

"I'M SOOOOOOOO GLAD MY FIANCE IS TAKING THIS POS IPAD!!!!!! I'M GOING TO GO BUY A REAL ONE NOW!!!!! HAR HAR HAR HAR."
Yep, hate apple so hard I bought a macbook. A lot of us are just interested in new tech coming out, but a little creeped out by amount of fanboy posts on display like the above.
:lmao: Okay, then. I was just confused since we're in a thread specifically talking about Apple's new watch and then someone decided to start bashing a completely different product of theirs. It's also cute when people are called fan boys for simply like a companies product more than another and not really giving a crap about the subtle differences enough to buy something else.
I am not bashing anything, I was just responding to that silly Gunz post. I just haven't been impressed with it, particularly for the price.

:oldunsure: Why are we #####footing around with terms like "some people" when you have an issue with slapdash? Not calling you out slapdash. Just weird. If you want to be passive aggressive at least use "a certain person" or some BS like that :lmao:

:oldunsure: Why are we #####footing around with terms like "some people" when you have an issue with slapdash? Not calling you out slapdash. Just weird. If you want to be passive aggressive at least use "a certain person" or some BS like that :lmao:
Because there are multiple people that do this? :shrug:
who else is "bashing" some other Apple product in this thread? NOTE: I don't really remember the first few pages of this thread.

I don't think anyone has been angry. Confused, definitely, but not angry.

It's really not all that serious.

:lmao: ooooooof...ok, if you say so. I'd suggest this is a "skin" issue if you are bothered enough about the SD card discussion to label it "bashing" and calling people out for it. It's a philosophical decision that is worth discussion.

And no offense to the one who bought it to run with...but there are other watches that destroy the apple watch for running and do have on board music and are much more functional.
MUCH more functional? At the very least the jury is still out on this one. It only just came out. Developers are surely working on it. Lots of them.
For running? Yes, there are several out there more functional for that purpose. Having a gps and all.
I thought you meant other watches are much more functional overall, not just for runners. I haven't seen Apple positioning the watch in such a limited way.Surely there are possibilities and things we don't know that we don't know, that may be great. This is v1.0. When I got my first smart phone I was excited to be able to get on the internet from virtually anywhere. Who knew at the time that having a flashlight, radio, video recorder, camera, games, GPS, accelerometer, etc., would be so indispensable?

I haven't ordered a Watch, but I'm intrigued by the possibilities to come. If they don't come or aren't conveyed well, then oh well.
Oh, Ive seen watches that are just as functional...but was saying that someone who bought it and gave a reason for running...seems an odd choice to me.

Im intrigued by the possibilities...and for me none of the watches out there gave me everything I wanted at the time and price.

Garmin was the closest...but not enough for me to have waited for it at the time...so I went with a watch that is strictly for running (as I do carry around an Ipod anyway...actually right now its my wife's old iPhone 4 since my tiny nano bit the dust)

Because there are multiple people that do this? :shrug:
who else is "bashing" some other Apple product in this thread? NOTE: I don't really remember the first few pages of this thread.
I guess if you want to count the bashing of iPhones for not having an SD slot. :shrug:
More of bashing people for defending not having expandable storage as anything more than a money grab...which it is.

And yes...the same can be said for Samsung taking that out of the S6 line (and people complained about it in the Android/Samsung threads too...and it made me happy I didn't wait for the 6 and got the 5 months ago).

I use Apple products and every time I upgrade I always buy the largest amount of memory. Yes, I'm pissed that I can't have a 500 GB 6+ or iPad, but #####ing about it isn't going to change a thing. I could take my money elsewhere, but I haven't.

I have 6,000 photos, 100+ videos recorded, 12+ pages of apps and 2,000 songs on my 6+. Life's too short to worry about an SD card when there is plenty of space. Did I pay a premium for the memory? Yes. Do I care? No.

I use Apple products and every time I upgrade I always buy the largest amount of memory. Yes, I'm pissed that I can't have a 500 GB 6+ or iPad, but #####ing about it isn't going to change a thing. I could take my money elsewhere, but I haven't.

I have 6,000 photos, 100+ videos recorded, 12+ pages of apps and 2,000 songs on my 6+. Life's too short to worry about an SD card when there is plenty of space. Did I pay a premium for the memory? Yes. Do I care? No.
This is my approach as well. When you factor in reliability and convenience issues associated with removable/physical media and easy integration of the cloud for file access and backup, just seems like a no brainer for me, personally.

There are things worth going all Dentist on and obsessing over value... This isn't one of them. For some folks, it may be. Cool.

:lmao: ooooooof...ok, if you say so. I'd suggest this is a "skin" issue if you are bothered enough about the SD card discussion to label it "bashing" and calling people out for it. It's a philosophical decision that is worth discussion.
Cool. Maybe you can start the official "Smart Phone" thread to discuss these important issues? I want to hear about peoples experiences with the Apple watch.
And you think this is going to happen whining about people discussing SD cards?

Is it true that this thing doesn't have GPS? Does that mean if you want to use if for running, you still need to bring your phone?

Is it true that this thing doesn't have GPS? Does that mean if you want to use if for running, you still need to bring your phone?
yes and yes. Based on this thread, It's not for you H10....much better fits out there for you.

yes and yes. Based on this thread, It's not for you H10....much better fits out there for you.
That's crazy to not have that a basic function.
They have the function. Only reason not to release it is to release it in a later version. That model's worked well for them in the past.

You don't NEED the phone to run with the Watch. Plenty of people run without phones, watches or even clothes.

Just start running.

That's crazy to not have that a basic function.
They have the function. Only reason not to release it is to release it in a later version. That model's worked well for them in the past.
Yep. Why include all relevant/current technology/features when withholding them means the masses will buy 2, 3, 4 watches/phones/tablets instead of one.

Apple brings out more weird behavior than most companies. Especially the Apple haters, they go nuts about what other people want to spend their money on.

The Commish said:
And back to the memory discussion:
Memory is $7.20
They really have a fantastic thing going right now. Holy Crap!!
This just in...there's only $.58 worth of syrup in a $6.00 - 44 oz. soda at the movie theater. I know! Who knew?!
:goodposting:

It's pretty common to see a 100% upgrade over "cost" to manufacture an item to cover various other overhead and costs.... then another 100% markup from wholesale to retail. The fact that Apple sells direct certainly helps their margins, on those sales, but with their fixed pricing, they have to leave room for margins at retail if they want any chance of shelf space.

Jobber said:
Mr. Ected said:
Jobber said:
No GPS is a deal breaker. Wow.
If it's tied to your phone, does it then 'have' GPS?
If you leave your cell at home and go on a bike or run, then no, it does not 'have' GPS.
Huge shortcoming. You would think they could have popped in GPS and had the apps trace your run etc and then sync back up and transfer that data to your phone when you get home. Big swing and miss there.

They also need to figure out a way to get music on it, like spotify or Amazon prime or pandora, not just iTunes.

They solve these two problems and I'll fork over $399. But not before that.

Jobber said:
Mr. Ected said:
Jobber said:
If you leave your cell at home and go on a bike or run, then no, it does not 'have' GPS.
Huge shortcoming. You would think they could have popped in GPS and had the apps trace your run etc and then sync back up and transfer that data to your phone when you get home. Big swing and miss there.

They also need to figure out a way to get music on it, like spotify or Amazon prime or pandora, not just iTunes.

It really is baffling to me. I'm sure they had their reasons, but WTF?

Jobber said:
Mr. Ected said:
Jobber said:

Would guess battery life on both.

Jobber said:
Mr. Ected said:
Jobber said:
Huge shortcoming. You would think they could have popped in GPS and had the apps trace your run etc and then sync back up and transfer that data to your phone when you get home. Big swing and miss there.They also need to figure out a way to get music on it, like spotify or Amazon prime or pandora, not just iTunes.

Battery life.

Jobber said:
Mr. Ected said:
Jobber said:
Huge shortcoming. You would think they could have popped in GPS and had the apps trace your run etc and then sync back up and transfer that data to your phone when you get home. Big swing and miss there. They also need to figure out a way to get music on it, like spotify or Amazon prime or pandora, not just iTunes.

Trace your run is a deal breaker for you? I had no idea you were a runner.

Jobber said:
Mr. Ected said:
Jobber said:
Huge shortcoming. You would think they could have popped in GPS and had the apps trace your run etc and then sync back up and transfer that data to your phone when you get home. Big swing and miss there.They also need to figure out a way to get music on it, like spotify or Amazon prime or pandora, not just iTunes.

Battery life.
You already have to charge it daily. I can run with my garmin for 12 hours before it needs to be charged.

Jobber said:
Mr. Ected said:
Jobber said:

Battery life.
You already have to charge it daily. I can run with my garmin for 12 hours before it needs to be charged.
Right. And if your Garmin did everything the Apple Watch does it would not last 12 hours with GPS.

Jobber said:
Mr. Ected said:
Jobber said:

Trace your run is a deal breaker for you? I had no idea you were a runner.
Starting to run again. It's been a long long time. At this point I'm only doing short 2 mile runs, but that's how it starts. Carrying the iPhone is kind of annoying, if I could wear a watch that would track the run and also play my music, it would be well worth a hefty price tag.

Jobber said:
Mr. Ected said:
Jobber said:

Battery life.
Right. And if your Garmin did everything the Apple Watch does it would not last 12 hours with GPS.
It doesn't "DO" much on it's own. It needs the phone to go with it. Putting in a GPS that can easily be turned on/off is easy enough to do in this instance. That's not their model though. No other excuse/reason needed :shrug:

Jobber said:
Mr. Ected said:
Jobber said:

Battery life.
It doesn't "DO" much on it's own. It needs the phone to go with it. Putting in a GPS that can easily be turned on/off is easy enough to do in this instance. That's not their model though. No other excuse/reason needed :shrug:
Well duh, I mean why would Apple put all the current functionality into their current device? Can't give the people want they want right away. I mean it took them 3 years to finally put NFC into the iPhone.

And I'm not a total Apple hater, have a Macbook Air and love it. But this is the downside of Apple. They'll slowly add functionality to their products so people have to keep buying the newest one. the Apple Watch2 will probably have GPS.

Well duh, I mean why would Apple put all the current functionality into their current device? Can't give the people want they want right away. I mean it took them 3 years to finally put NFC into the iPhone.

And I'm not a total Apple hater, have a Macbook Air and love it. But this is the downside of Apple. They'll slowly add functionality to their products so people have to keep buying the newest one. the Apple Watch2 will probably have GPS.
Doubt it...they'll fix the perceived "battery problem" first...then in version 3-4ish, they'll come back with enhancements.

Users who are viewing this thread