What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL outlaws RBs lowering their heads (2 Viewers)

A rb or any other player unable to lower his head in the open field prevents the player from delivering contact and protecting himself. Instead, he is now just a mere target and this will lead to more jaw and knee injuries.
They are not unable to lower their head...why do opponents of this continue to get the rule incorrect.
Dipping your should lowers you head and neck. It doesn't prevent injury. It opens your jaw to a hit and leans and dips your head in another direction opening yourself for a helmet to helmet hit from the side or another angle. Basically the rule does not lessen the likelihood of injury and adds a job for officials that all who have seen side by side legal and illegal examples have been unable to differentiate even in slow motion.
Yeah, I don't think you have much of a clue what lessens any injury if you think they are proposing a rule that opens them up to more injury.You don't seem to understand here...nor have you actually studied it...but k eep trying.

All styles lead to injuries...again, expecting otherwise is not realistic.
But you can minimize the effects of the violent ones that lead to long term injury - especially ones to the brain.I guess as I've gotten older, the hits like the one Richardson applied to Coleman don't make me go "ooh, ahh" as much as they make me go "eww, aww" now.
Different strokes.I enjoy (and I'm 35 if that matters) the hard hits...knock outs in boxing/ UFC, hard checks in hockey/ Lacrosse etc.
And there is a reason boxing is now an afterthought in American sports.

Yup. Nobody cared until the lawsuits hit. Safer equipment people...not rule changes (yet).
Nobody cared huh?Inform me of why Chuck Cecil was on the cover of SI called "too vicious for the NFL"? And why he wore the Kelso helmet...and why he retired due to concussions?Ill hang up and listen.If nobody cared...why was he fined over and over and over by the NFL?

I'd be awesome to have a whole field of Steve Tasker-like Mario mushrooms out there.
They had an NFL equipment manufacturer on Mike and Mike one morning and they were asking him about the helmets and equipment and if they can be safer. The guys stated that they already have safer equipment but the players do not want to wear it. He mentioned one specific incident where a prominent NFL QB came in and tried the helmet on....took one look in the mirror and gave it back....maybe the NFL should mandate better equipment and force this on the players...if that doesn’t upset Nike...
OR do both...because the helmet alone won't prevent things.And yeah, some of this came up a few years ago in GB when Rodgers went to the different helmet...some think it looks funny.

I'd be awesome to have a whole field of Steve Tasker-like Mario mushrooms out there.
They had an NFL equipment manufacturer on Mike and Mike one morning and they were asking him about the helmets and equipment and if they can be safer. The guys stated that they already have safer equipment but the players do not want to wear it. He mentioned one specific incident where a prominent NFL QB came in and tried the helmet on....took one look in the mirror and gave it back....maybe the NFL should mandate better equipment and force this on the players...if that doesn’t upset Nike...
OR do both...because the helmet alone won't prevent things.And yeah, some of this came up a few years ago in GB when Rodgers went to the different helmet...some think it looks funny.
What matters more, looks, or player safety? Longer games with more whistles for penalties allowing more commercial time or natural instincts when running and trying to protect yourself and being the hitter rather than the hittee?

What matters more, looks, or player safety? Longer games with more whistles for penalties allowing more commercial time or natural instincts when running and trying to protect yourself and being the hitter rather than the hittee?
I agree safety matters more...and you won't see an instance of me saying that they should not mandate the new helmet.I just don't think they should stop at just that as some of you appear to.As for longer games with more whistles...do games last longer or shorter when they have to attend to guys half out of it laying on the field?The purpose of the rule is to protect the hitter and the hittee.

I was wondering about this earlier...if you like stuff like UFC/MMA are you more likely to think this rule is stupid.Not a value judgement, just an observation. I can't stand the UFC/MMA stuff. But if those folks want to do it and other folks want to watch it, more power to ya.
Im a big MMA fan and am for the rule change, as I understand it.

:thumbup: Also, the NFL is now mandating knee and thigh pads but not mouthpieces that protect against concussions. But changes rules to make the game 'safer'. That's where I see a big disconnect.

Yup. Nobody cared until the lawsuits hit. Safer equipment people...not rule changes (yet).
Nobody cared huh?Inform me of why Chuck Cecil was on the cover of SI called "too vicious for the NFL"? And why he wore the Kelso helmet...and why he retired due to concussions?Ill hang up and listen.If nobody cared...why was he fined over and over and over by the NFL?
I'm referring to NFL rule changes. The focus on concussions started after the lawsuits.

I'm referring to NFL rule changes. The focus on concussions started after the lawsuits.
Well, that and knowing much more about them than they did in the past too.But of course it did...you all whine that these rules will destroy the game...but want to know the quicker way to destroy it?Have someone die on the field...or have more of these lawsuits and have the NFL have to pay out now and in the future.Want ticket prices skying even higher?

Well, that and knowing much more about them than they did in the past too.But of course it did...you all whine that these rules will destroy the game...but want to know the quicker way to destroy it?Have someone die on the field...or have more of these lawsuits and have the NFL have to pay out now and in the future.Want ticket prices skying even higher?
Or they could mandate the use of the safest equipment. That, to me, would be the best route to go. Especially since you can change the rules all you want, but the hits will still happen - and the players will still be using inferior safety equipment. The public doesn't see the equipment upgrades though - they notice the flags and rule changes much easier. So that's where the focus has been.And if they're so inclined, do both. But don't allow the use of lesser equipment (or in the case of concussion-reducing mouth guards, no equipment) and say we're making the game safer because we're blurring the lines of what's a legal hit and what's not.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

The crown-of-the-helmet rule has also passed by a wide margin, I'm told.

Or they could mandate the use of the safest equipment. That, to me, would be the best route to go. Especially since you can change the rules all you want, but the hits will still happen - and the players will still be using inferior safety equipment. The public doesn't see the equipment upgrades though - they notice the flags and rule changes much easier. So that's where the focus has been.And if they're so inclined, do both. But don't allow the use of lesser equipment (or in the case of concussion-reducing mouth guards, no equipment) and say we're making the game safer because we're blurring the lines of what's a legal hit and what's not.
Why stop at just the equipment?The equipment alone will not make all the difference.

Why stop at just the equipment?The equipment alone will not make all the difference.
I didn't stay stop there...I said I think it should happen first. Just because a hit is now going to get flagged (and fined) does it mean it will stop? But if the helmet/mouthpiece are better, even the flagged hit will be safer, no?

What's lost in all of this is--how many injuries have players AVOIDED by lowering their heads? We will soon see....and then next year we'll open the discussion back up.
How is leading with the crown of your helmet protecting yourself? How are you avoiding injury by doing so?
Imagine he didnt lower anything and was hit and driven to the ground--can that result in injury? The answer is yes.Imagine he was leading with his shoulder and suffered a shoulder injury.Concussions are not the only injury people can suffer and injuries are not limited to the head.
But nobody's suing the NFL for long term shoulder injuries.
Agreed. The driving force of this is strictly political and that's why I disagree with it. If were truely about players saftey the attire would be adjusted more then the play- but its not.
to be fairno one is suffering from dementia, or shooting themselves in the head because of shoulder or knee injuries.head injuries are worse, they just are.

And it's preposterous that someone like Eric Dickerson can be involved in a lawsuit against the NFL for just the type of injuries this rule is designed to reduce yet simultaneously decry the proposal of a rule to prevent such injuries in the first place.

It's maddening.
:goodposting:
I really think these guys speaking out against it understand the rule. I think they are under the impression that they can't lower their head at all.

They had an NFL equipment manufacturer on Mike and Mike one morning and they were asking him about the helmets and equipment and if they can be safer. The guys stated that they already have safer equipment but the players do not want to wear it. He mentioned one specific incident where a prominent NFL QB came in and tried the helmet on....took one look in the mirror and gave it back....maybe the NFL should mandate better equipment and force this on the players...if that doesn’t upset Nike... the NFLPA

And it's preposterous that someone like Eric Dickerson can be involved in a lawsuit against the NFL for just the type of injuries this rule is designed to reduce yet simultaneously decry the proposal of a rule to prevent such injuries in the first place.

It's maddening.
I really think these guys speaking out against it understand the rule. I think they are under the impression that they can't lower their head at all.
either way the issue is players now don't think to the future, but when they get to the uture they'll be completely able to persue legal action for the league not making the game safer despite the players objectionsNow I am not a league wonk, I think the league ignoring this concussion issue for years and providing misinformation about it is wrong, and they should lose law suits over this. They turned their heads on the risks. But now that they are addressing them, WHATEVER their motivation, we as fans and the players should not be so pessimistic

The game changes, rules change, people and players adjust. It would be nice to change the culture so NFL players saw a concussion as a worse injury than an ACL tear, but I do not think that is going to happen. If the players are not going to embrace safety the league has to cram it down their throats, because the league is the one who is ultimately liable.

Bengals voted against it. If you are a Bengal fan feel free to blame the league, anyone else, blame your owner for voting for the rule.

Steelers voted to keep the tuck rule.

Putting their head down to push forward...and doing so leading with the drown to deliver a blow are completely different things...and they are pretty easy to see for most reasonable people.
And every defensive head-to-head penalty has looked good to you, has it? All those calls have been 100% reasonable to you?
No more than every holding call or non-holding...or pass interference.Nothing is 100%...so nice straw man.Seems all you have to go on right now.But oh...its so destructive and apparently the best part of the game to you is a RB dropping his helmet to lead with the crown and hit a defender.
I didn't say the best part of the game, I said one of, and yes Earl Campbell was one of the best parts of the game and it was because of plays like that.
And today Earl Campbell can't move and is one of the poster boys for why things need to change.Again, using Campbell as an example does not help prove your point here...it only strengthens your opposition.
I thought Campbell suffered from a genetic spinal disease.

Putting their head down to push forward...and doing so leading with the drown to deliver a blow are completely different things...and they are pretty easy to see for most reasonable people.
And every defensive head-to-head penalty has looked good to you, has it? All those calls have been 100% reasonable to you?
No more than every holding call or non-holding...or pass interference.Nothing is 100%...so nice straw man.Seems all you have to go on right now.But oh...its so destructive and apparently the best part of the game to you is a RB dropping his helmet to lead with the crown and hit a defender.
I didn't say the best part of the game, I said one of, and yes Earl Campbell was one of the best parts of the game and it was because of plays like that.
And today Earl Campbell can't move and is one of the poster boys for why things need to change.Again, using Campbell as an example does not help prove your point here...it only strengthens your opposition.
I thought Campbell suffered from a genetic spinal disease.
There was talk of that...but also more talking his head...and just the years of pounding and taking hits...several articles about that and I think I linked to one somewhere in this topic.As well as his agreement with the NFL making things safer

The bottom line is the players have to change from the "video" game hits and go back to fundamental tackling. If you see your target, this rule is not supposed to apply. Which from pee-wee football is how you are taught to tackle. Why has this been the proper form for tackling? Because of the danger of spinal issues when you hit somebody without seeing your target, it just so happens to correlate with concussion/brain issues as well. But the video game world has made everyone looking for the "knock out shot" rather than the hard tackle.

Go ahead NFL. Just remove the RB position and have it be a strictly passing game with rough two hand touch.

I wish the players actually had a say in these changes. I would love to see their thoughts on all of this. They know the risks of football, they signed on to play it. This new safety smart NFL is nothing but an attempt to save face in the publics eye and avoid future lawsuits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go ahead NFL. Just remove the RB position and have it be a strictly passing game with rough two hand touch.I wish the players actually had a say in these changes. I would love to see their thoughts on all of this. They know the risks of football, they signed on to play it. This new safety smart NFL is nothing but an attempt to save face in the publics eye and avoid future lawsuits.
Yes...they know the risks...just as the ones that are suing the league did as well.This over the top drama bs is hilarious from some of you though.

Go ahead NFL. Just remove the RB position and have it be a strictly passing game with rough two hand touch.I wish the players actually had a say in these changes. I would love to see their thoughts on all of this. They know the risks of football, they signed on to play it. This new safety smart NFL is nothing but an attempt to save face in the publics eye and avoid future lawsuits.
You should write Junior Seau's family and tell them this.

The bottom line is the players have to change from the "video" game hits and go back to fundamental tackling.
:goodposting: I've posted this before ... a good a time as any to repost it:

Can NFL tackling rules be reasonably altered to make the game that much safer?

Kinda spitballing here, just trying to hash out some ideas. Here's part of the inspiration for this topic, from SI's 2011 NFL Preview issue:

Good, hard, sharp, and sure tackling is the very essence of a successful defense, and no player should hope to be placed upon a team unless he has become adept in this most important of football fundamentals. No team is going to be severely beaten, even if it has no offense at all, if it is composed of eleven good tacklers ...

—GLENN SCOBEY (POP) WARNER, May 1927

On a November Sunday in Cleveland last year, Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez completed a pass to wideout Braylon Edwards in the shallow left flat. Browns cornerback Sheldon Brown jumped forward to perform the essential job that Pop Warner had described 83 years earlier: Tackle the ballcarrier. (Huddle. Repeat.) Football plays can end in various ways: with touchdowns, field goals, incompletions, fair catches, dead-ball penalties and stepping out-of-bounds. But most end with the ballcarrier being taken to the ground by the defense. It is absolute. After a tackle, whistles are blown, the ball is spotted and the offense must draw up another play and start anew.

But tackling has also become one of the most uncertain elements in the modern NFL, altered not only by evolutions in strategy (sideline-to-sideline passing attacks supplanting between-the-numbers power running) and performance (more elusive athletes with each passing year), but also most recently by rules changes designed to protect ballcarriers from injuries by limiting concussive, helmet-to-helmet hits. The pure, unbridled, bone-jarring tackle is a fading memory.

As Brown moved up on Edwards, his instincts told him to blast headlong with little regard for the consequences, tactical or physical. There are two basic ways to tackle: either "break down" into a balanced crouch to reduce the possibility of getting juked in the open field, or barrel into the ballcarrier at full speed. Brown had played his first seven NFL seasons for the Eagles under the late defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, who gave his troops only one option.

"Coach Johnson taught us to never break down, just keep running through like knives," says Brown. "And if I miss on the correct side, one of my teammates will be right behind me, running like a bat out of you know where, and he'll make the hit and maybe force a turnover. One of the knives will hit." (Ravens coach John Harbaugh, who worked under Johnson in Philadelphia, says, "Arrow through snow" that's what Jim used to say: Attack like an arrow through snow.")

As an Eagle, Brown lived Johnson's credo. In January 2007 he laid out Saints running back Reggie Bush with a blowup hit by driving hard upfield on a swing pass, a shot so monumental it made the cover of SI six months later. But here, against the Jets, Brown hesitated. The previous month, after the notorious Oct. 17 afternoon so packed with violent, concussive hits that it became known as Black Sunday, the NFL announced it would stringently enforce rules against head shots. That clouded Brown's mind. "I tried to break down and then come up," says Brown of the play on Edwards. "He dipped his shoulder, and that got him lower than me, and I took the brunt of the hit. They talk about defenseless receivers. I put myself in a defenseless position, and I hurt my shoulder. I was confused with all the changes, and I made an adjustment." (Though his forward momentum was stopped, Edwards never did go down—four other Cleveland defenders threw themselves into the play, and the whistle blew with the Jets receiver still standing.)
It seems clear that certain types of tackling techniques that are physically riskier than others. The question I'm raising is this: can safer tackling techniques be legislated within the rules of the game of football? Here are some speculative rule changes that come to mind -- haven't considered all angles or potential game-play consequences, just brainstorming:
[*]Illegal for tacklers to leave their feet if their shoulder, chest, or head touches the ball carrier -- this means that if DB wants to blow up a WR over the middle, they cannot launch themselves like a missle. They can still run through the WR, but the fact that the ground dissipates some of the force should lessen the impact of these over-the-middle tackles. Note that the way this rule is worded, the intent is to still allow diving at a ball carrier's feet, or a last-second dive to grab a jersey, or tackle attempts like that. So long as there's no leaving the feet to launch the upper body into a ball carrier, the tackle is legal.

[*]Illegal for shoulder, chest, or head of tackler to touch the ball carrier if at least one hand does not touch the ball carrier -- I'd call this the "wrap-up" rule, and it also aims to discourage launching-type tackles. I considered proposing that BOTH hands must touch the ball carrier if the tackler's upper-body conacts the ball carrier, but I was thinking that might be a little too restrictive. Maybe the two-hand version of the rule could be instituted for QBs in the pocket.

[*]Institute a tackling "strike zone" -- The tackler's upper body (shoulders, helmet, chest) can only contact the ball carrier's body between the shoulders and knees. This one is actually partially in place, as explicit head shots are forbidden. Diving at a player's feet to trip them up with the hands or arms would still be legal.

[*]Relax the pass-intereference rules in favor of the defense -- Saw this proposed elsewhere. The idea is that with pass-interference rules so strongly favoring the offense, defenses have adopted the strategy ot taking hard shots at receivers to jar caught balls loose. Letting DBs guard routes more physically would give the defense another option. My corollary is to perhaps change the 5-yard-bump zone into a 10-yard zone, or even 15 yards -- bring back true bump-&-run coverage.

So ... are these kinds of proposals (not necessarily these specific ones) reasonable? How much safer can tackling rules help make the game? Enough to get us to credible, player-approved 18-game seasons? And what kinds of game-safety changes do others envision the NFL adopting in the near future?

It's maddening.
Well look how long its taken officials in game and the people that dole out the fines to get helmet to helmet or hits on a defenseless reciever correct...hell they aren't even at that point yet of getting things correct. Now factor in this? Its going to be a freaking mess

Well look how long its taken officials in game and the people that dole out the fines to get helmet to helmet or hits on a defenseless reciever correct...hell they aren't even at that point yet of getting things correct. Now factor in this? Its going to be a freaking mess
As in the rule will be misapplied sometimes? You mean like holding or pass interference is about fourteen times a game?

You thought there was a flag on every play before. lol

This game is becoming a joke, the irony in thios is this is not making the game any better.

The reason there is a game is because of the fans, you take what the fans like away, what do you have?

As in the rule will be misapplied sometimes? You mean like holding or pass interference is about fourteen times a game?
Difference here is officials are told to throw a flag to err on the side of safety with the H2H and DEFLESS WR hits. You don't think the same thing will happen with this now?

You thought there was a flag on every play before. lolThis game is becoming a joke, the irony in thios is this is not making the game any better.The reason there is a game is because of the fans, you take what the fans like away, what do you have?
Soccer in the US?

Difference here is officials are told to throw a flag to err on the side of safety with the H2H and DEFLESS WR hits. You don't think the same thing will happen with this now?
No I don't because I clearly interpret differently from you what the NFL is trying to do with this. I like Jeff Fisher's explanation:
Fisher told Andrew Siciliano on NFL Network that the new rule is a major step forward as the NFL continues to try to take brain injuries out of the game.“I think this is a huge victory for the National Football League,” Fisher said. “Here’s how the game should be played: Let’s bring the shoulder back. We’ve lost the shoulder in the game. Let’s bring it back.”Fisher said concerns that flags will be thrown any time a running back tries to break a tackle are unfounded.“It’s not going to be over-officiated,” Fisher said. “The key thing here is you can deliver a blow with shoulder, with face, with hairline. It’s just deliberately striking with the crown, the top of the helmet.”Fisher said he understands that players oppose the rule, but he said that everyone who has studied it — from coaches to medical personnel to officials — has agreed that this rule needs to be passed.“Every step along the way we’ve been unanimous,” Fisher said. “If the players knew the amount of time that went into this they’d have a better understanding.”

It's maddening.
So I assume you are against removing the tuck rule?there's almost no chance they apply judgement to that call and get it right as often as we want, and that call is not 15 yards it is a turn over.

PI is miscalled a TON more than head hits, doesn't that bother you?

Sorry but i have no idea how some of you think this won't change the game at all. On paper is one thing, in game and actually happening is another.

Sorry but i have no idea how some of you think this won't change the game at all. On paper is one thing, in game and actually happening is another.
Because it's pretty black and white to some of us what this is intended to do, which is to prevent a running back from ramming head on with the top of his head into a defender. That's it.

I came in here breathing fire, but a lot of you have made some pretty good points to get me off the ledge. The fact is that this game is no longer the game that most of us grew up loving. We can either deal with it, or stop watching. I just hope this won't impact the game TOO much. I can already a see a huge 4th quarter run in a huge game for a huge first down by the home team. WOOOPS! Called back because the RB used the crown of his helmet. That stadium is going to burn to the ground. Matt Forte already loves the rule:

Matt Forte ‏@MattForte22 The proposed rule change for running backs might be the most absurd suggestion of a rule change I've ever heard of.In order to lower ur shoulder u obviously have to lower ur head. It's a way of protecting ur self from a tackler and a way to break tacklesU can't change the instinctive nature of running the football.

Users who are viewing this thread