What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No Mike Goodson to the Jets thread? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Sorry if this has been posted, but I'm not seeing one.

Jets land RB Mike Goodson for 3 years, $6.9M

Jets signed RB Mike Goodson, formerly of the Raiders, to a three-year, $6.9 million contract.

Goodson has spent his entire four-year career buried on depth charts. He started off behind DeAngelo Williams/Jonathan Stewart in Carolina and then spent last year caddying for Darren McFadden and Marcel Reece with the Raiders. But as evidenced by Goodson's career 4.51 YPC average, he has some burst at 6'0/210. With the Jets, he'll be battling Bilal Powell and possibly a draft pick to be the top dog in a committee. Goodson can also help passing game (40 catches in 2010) and return kicks. It's a rare inexpensive, quality addition for the Jets -- who reportedly believed he was one of free agency's biggest sleepers.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/258115/jets-land-rb-mike-goodson-for-3-years-$69m

So is this the 'Official Mike Goodson to the Jets' thread?

If so I think the opportunity is there...but it's March.

Good to know.
There wasn't much on that roster as far as RBs are concerned, so Goodson has a good shot at the starting job IMO.
Until they draft a RB. Sell high right now if you can.
Draft insider Tony Pauline warns to "mark down" UCLA RB Johnathan Franklin as a second-round target by the Jets.

The team is "very high on the RB and a terrific fit for Mornhinweg's offense," Pauline tweeted. Along with the Jets, Pauline listed the Cincinnati Bengals, Miami Dolphins, St. Louis Rams and San Diego Chargers as possible destinations.

Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

Mar 13 - 10:17 AM

His problem is getting injured all the time and fumbling, but he has undeniable talent and is extremely versatile.

Jets suck bad. Pretty much a non-event. They are in Jax territory now. FF wasteland.
They actually were surprisingly effective on the ground last year: 6th in attempts, 12th in yardage, 13th TDs. There's some opportunity there for a RB to be fantasy relevant.

'JohnnyU said:
'rockaction said:
Good to know.
There wasn't much on that roster as far as RBs are concerned, so Goodson has a good shot at the starting job IMO.
WHAT!!!!! You're CRAZY!!!!! POWELL is going to be THE GUY next yr!!!!!*sarcasm*FYI as a Powell owner in Dynasty I hope Goodson fumbles every time he touches the ball...

'JohnnyU said:
'rockaction said:
Good to know.
Yep. It was a short reply, but not sarcasm. Thought the post deserved at least a comment back when I did it.

'cstu said:
'JohnnyU said:
'rockaction said:
Good to know.
Draft insider Tony Pauline warns to "mark down" UCLA RB Johnathan Franklin as a second-round target by the Jets.

The team is "very high on the RB and a terrific fit for Mornhinweg's offense," Pauline tweeted. Along with the Jets, Pauline listed the Cincinnati Bengals, Miami Dolphins, St. Louis Rams and San Diego Chargers as possible destinations.

The Jets don't seem to have much faith in Powell then, huh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know.

The Jets have too many needs to blow a 2nd rounder on a RB now. I don't have Goodson or Powell, but I suspect one of them will provide value in 2013. I'd love to acquire both of them even cheaper off of this speculation of a 2nd round RB selection.

Good to know.

The Jets have too many needs to blow a 2nd rounder on a RB now. I don't have Goodson or Powell, but I suspect one of them will provide value in 2013. I'd love to acquire both of them even cheaper off of this speculation of a 2nd round RB selection.
The Jets could be acquiring another first or second round pick in a Darrell Revis trade and the team is also filing a lot of their other holes with bargain bin FA signings (much like the Goodson one). I don't think it's impossible that they spend a high(ish) pick on a RB if one they like is available.

The Jets could be acquiring another first or second round pick in a Darrell Revis trade and the team is also filing a lot of their other holes with bargain bin FA signings (much like the Goodson one). I don't think it's impossible that they spend a high(ish) pick on a RB if one they like is available.
I know things are all more expensive in NYC but Goodson is anything but a "bargain bin" RB at close to $7 million for 3 years. Raiders were paying him around $600K last year IIRC. Good YPC and seemed to get over the fumblitis issue. He'll be a good addition to the Jets bcakfield, but there are a number of RB's available in this draft who can equal a Mike Goodson for less money. But like you said, if they can parlay an extra first or second round pick from the Bucs, good for them!

I know things are all more expensive in NYC but Goodson is anything but a "bargain bin" RB at close to $7 million for 3 years. Raiders were paying him around $600K last year IIRC. Good YPC and seemed to get over the fumblitis issue. He'll be a good addition to the Jets bcakfield, but there are a number of RB's available in this draft who can equal a Mike Goodson for less money. But like you said, if they can parlay an extra first or second round pick from the Bucs, good for them!
$2.3 MM a year for a "starting" RB is shopping in the free agency bargain bin. I'm not calling it a good deal or saying they bought him cheaply, just stating that they are filling their holes with second rate FAs like Goodson, DT David Garary and OG Willie Colon and can keep doing so for some of their other holes like WR, S, and TE. I don't think that any of these signings speaks to what they'll do in the draft.ETA: They are now looking at DHB to play WR and have brought LaRon Landry's older brother in for a visit to perhaps replace him.

Laugh all you want, the reality is that Goodson is much better than any RB currently on the Jets roster.

The injury and fumbling concerns are definitely there for Goodson, but he is a talented back and I see him being fantasy relevant. More so than Shonn Greene..

I'm not sure how much different Goodson is than Joe Mcknight. And the draft is deep enough at RB that they could get a rookie similar to Goodson in the 5th round.

I would have rather seen the Jets pursue Bradhsaw.

Does not compute: circular reference.So did they fill that hole or not? If they filled it, why would they be throwing a high draft pick at the position? Goodson was once a third rounder, I believe, and he's proven effective. I kind of hope they do draft someone, because Goodson will be overlooked even more. But I just don't see that happening. I think Powell and Goodson are both serviceable backs at the very least.
I'm not sure how much different Goodson is than Joe Mcknight. And the draft is deep enough at RB that they could get a rookie similar to Goodson in the 5th round.I would have rather seen the Jets pursue Bradhsaw.
I can see that comparison, but Goodson seems a little more proven. Maybe it's just my perception from when he started a few games in Carolina.I really think there is a chance there's something wrong w/Bradshaw. He was going to cost less than $4 mil for the Giants to keep him. If people are paying $2.3 mil for Goodson, then Bradshaw's $3.75 mil cost seems like a great deal IF he's fully functional. I won't be touching him this year even if he lands on GB.

Good to know.

Since when does anything the Jets do make sense?

Fair enough. I just have a hard time predicting nonsensical moves. When predicting nonsense, everything is fair game, right?

Does not compute: circular reference.So did they fill that hole or not? If they filled it, why would they be throwing a high draft pick at the position? Goodson was once a third rounder, I believe, and he's proven effective. I kind of hope they do draft someone, because Goodson will be overlooked even more. But I just don't see that happening. I think Powell and Goodson are both serviceable backs at the very least.
My response was to the point that the Jets have too many holes to fill in order to draft a RB in Round 2. All of these "holes" are slowly getting filled in FA - QB - Garard; RB - Goodson; OG - Colon; DT - Garary; OLB - Barnes; they are also looking to address safety with Landry and WR with Heyward-Bey.My point is that none of these signings preclude the team from drafting any position in Round 2, they'll take who they deem is the best player available at the pick.My inclination is that the team does want Goodson to win the job and I actually think he was a smart "cheap" signing as he's a talent whose skill set fits in well with their switch to a WCO. But if a RB they really like is there for them in Round 2 or Round 3 (especially if/when they acquire more picks in a Revis trade) don't be surprised if they draft one. Of course that RB is not guaranteed to beat out Goodson at all. I do think he ends up being the main ball carrier this year. I also wouldn't be shocked if Powell earns that right.

My response was to the point that the Jets have too many holes to fill in order to draft a RB in Round 2. All of these "holes" are slowly getting filled in FA - QB - Garard; RB - Goodson; OG - Colon; DT - Garary; OLB - Barnes; they are also looking to address safety with Landry and WR with Heyward-Bey.

My point is that none of these signings preclude the team from drafting any position in Round 2, they'll take who they deem is the best player available at the pick.

My inclination is that the team does want Goodson to win the job and I actually think he was a smart "cheap" signing as he's a talent whose skill set fits in well with their switch to a WCO. But if a RB they really like is there for them in Round 2 or Round 3 (especially if/when they acquire more picks in a Revis trade) don't be surprised if they draft one. Of course that RB is not guaranteed to beat out Goodson at all. I do think he ends up being the main ball carrier this year. I also wouldn't be shocked if Powell earns that right.
I like what new GM, John Idzik, is doing here. Most Jets fans don't like it, but I think he's getting "hold the fort" guys and/or trying to catch lightning in a bottle, which is smart. As a Jets fan, I don't see them winning more than 5 games this year, but if it means a couple losing seasons to build a young team that will be a solid contender for the long haul down the road, I'm good with it.I must admit, I didn't know much about Goodson before reading the original post by Johnny U, but it fits the bill... cheap signing with potential. I also like the Colon signing. Garrard was signed before Kolb was released, but I'm hearing rumors that mornhigwig still thinks highly of him from their days working together in Philly. problem with Kolb is he can't stay on the field.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Jets trade Revis for Tampa Bay's next year #1 over all pick. the Jets will probably be around top 5 overall themselves. combine TB's #1 from next year, possibly 25-ish... and the Jets high #1 to get Johnny Manziel if they're not in the right slot to take him outright.

I like what new GM, John Idzik, is doing here. Most Jets fans don't like it, but I think he's getting "hold the fort" guys and/or trying to catch lightning in a bottle, which is smart. As a Jets fan, I don't see them winning more than 5 games this year, but if it means a couple losing seasons to build a young team that will be a solid contender for the long haul down the road, I'm good with it.
for Bridgewater. :thumbup:

I like what new GM, John Idzik, is doing here. Most Jets fans don't like it, but I think he's getting "hold the fort" guys and/or trying to catch lightning in a bottle, which is smart. As a Jets fan, I don't see them winning more than 5 games this year, but if it means a couple losing seasons to build a young team that will be a solid contender for the long haul down the road, I'm good with it.
. total game wrecker.

Good to know.

The Jets don't seem to have much faith in Powell then, huh?
I don't think a Goodson signing indicates a lack of faith. It isn't like they went out and got a clear and proven starting RB like Bush or Bradshaw or Steven Jackson. Goodson to me looks like a guy who adds depth and some versatility (if they platoon).

I like the signings so far, Idzik adding much needed competition at value levels as they try to escape from cap hell.

Yeah, hes done pretty much nothing. Signed bums (a QB that hasn't played in yr!!???), and hasn't even renogiated anybodys contract. He got hired, cut a bunch bums who were already getting cut prior to his hiring; its at the point where FAs won't even visit. A team in NY and people don't want to play for it, what a joke.

All they care about is trading Revis.

Mike Goodson, Jets running back, returns from suspension

His four-game suspension over, Mike Goodson said he expects to play Monday night when the Jets travel to face the Atlanta Falcons in Week 5.

During his suspension, Goodson was allowed to participate in team meetings and had access to the Jets' training facility in Florham Park. He could not, however, practice with his teammates and he did not attend the Jets' first four games of the season.

On Aug. 27, the last time Goodson spoke publicly, he said the incident and suspension embarrassed him, and that he was dedicated to making changes in his life. The wait to get back on the field with the team, Goodson said today, seemed "like forever."

In the absence of playing football, Goodson said he ran and lifted weights two times a day, often alone. He also monitored his diet in hopes that he can provide "a spark" to the Jets immediately.

"I'm healthy, strong, fast and ready to play," Goodson said.

"To be out there running and doing stuff like that, it’s nothing like being in football shape," Goodson said. "Going through a week of practice, I think I’ll be ready."

The running back returns to a unit depleted by Chris Ivory's hamstring injury. Goodson will compete with Alex Green for carries behind Bilal Powell.

Wherever he plays, Goodson says he is eager to participate with a singular objective.

"Wherever they choose to place me, wherever they choose to put me at, just bring a spark."
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/09/mike_goodson_jets_running_back_returns_from_suspension.html

I'd bump him over Ivory, but not sure how much action he'll see. Powell's running pretty well at this point. He's earned the role for the time being.

The Jets are playing the Falcons, my guess is they will be in catch up mode. How is Goodson at catching out of the backfield?

I remember him looking really explosive back in Carolina. Might be worth a shot. Ivory is always injured and I'm not too sold on Powell.

Ivory returned to practice today, which further clouds the picture for Goodson. Interesting guy to watch, but not sure you can spend a roster spot there in standard leagues without a clearer picture.

Users who are viewing this thread