What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alfred Morris, why is he rated so low (1 Viewer)

At best, this becomes a 3 headed committee, no?  Maybe Alf wins 1st and 2nd down roles.  I just can't see it, but just in case it happens, is he really worth rostering?  Would he be the goal line back?  I think the bottom line is nobody knows.  If you have 8 bench spots, sure, take a flier and see what happens.  I'd rather invest my lotto tickets in less crowded backfields.

Without the injuries, this guy would probably be working in a car dealership.  I think when McKinnon and Breida get healthy, the excitement will die down.
 You may be right; but:

McKinnon has shown, multiple times, that he doesn’t excel in a “traditional” lead RB role.

Alf has shown that he can exceed in that role, AND that he can exceed in Shanahan’s offense.

Breida is small, and maybe he can handle a lead role, but I’m skeptical.

If it turns into Alf as the 1st/2nd down RB who gets goal-line carries, while McKinnon serves as the pass-catcher (where he’s a better fit, IMO), and Breida is a backup for both, it’s not unreasonable for Alf to get 700-800 yards and 6+ TD.

Evan Silva is telling people to drop ware and Cohen types for Alf.  Really pushing him.  

SCT said:
Ya seems pretty high on him for sure. 
Remember Alf was the guy who started over Roy Helu in 20-whatever. How many fantasy teams did Silva ruin with the Helu call? I think he's unconsciously trying to make up for it in some weird way with this one.

One thing u got to give to him, he's not affraid of a bold statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't too impressed with what Morris did with Dallas last year. He had like 1 big game and then 2 that were decent. The other 3 or 4 we're not even flex worthy. And that's when he pretty much had the backfield to himself.  

Breida's got the shoulder injury.  Not sure he's going to be 100% to start the season either.

I wasn't too impressed with what Morris did with Dallas last year. He had like 1 big game and then 2 that were decent. The other 3 or 4 we're not even flex worthy. And that's when he pretty much had the backfield to himself.  
He averaged 4.8 YPC. Nothing to sneeze at. He's never been a burner.  

If I had to choose between Morris and Breida I'd go with Morris regardless of the format.

For some reason I thought Breida was a plus pass catcher but when I looked at his stats from last year I saw a 56% catch rate on 32 targets, then I dug a bit further and saw he had the 2nd most drops amongst RBs last year (5) and then I went even further and watched all of his targets. He doesn't even look like a mediocre pass catcher to me, he looks pretty awful.

Whatever I watched from last year sure didn't look fluky to me. As an undersized back if Breida doesn't have ppr value he doesn't have much value IMO.

My guess is Juszczyk catches way more passes than any fantasy player would like this year.  

The 49ers fear Jerick McKinnon suffered a year-ending knee injury in Saturday's practice.

"We hope we're wrong," said coach Kyle Shanahan after practice. "He just made a cut on air and no one was around him and just went down. It looked awkward. We’re concerned about it, but we don’t have an MRI done, so we don’t know for sure." Ace beat writer Matt Maiocco suggests Alfred Morris is the favorite to open the season as the 49ers' starter with Matt Breida "likely to be the backup." Morris should be owned and drafted in all leagues as a top-75 fantasy pick.

Source: NBC Sports 

Sep 1 - 4:44 PM

If I had to choose between Morris and Breida I'd go with Morris regardless of the format.

For some reason I thought Breida was a plus pass catcher but when I looked at his stats from last year I saw a 56% catch rate on 32 targets, then I dug a bit further and saw he had the 2nd most drops amongst RBs last year (5) and then I went even further and watched all of his targets. He doesn't even look like a mediocre pass catcher to me, he looks pretty awful.

Whatever I watched from last year sure didn't look fluky to me. As an undersized back if Breida doesn't have ppr value he doesn't have much value IMO.

My guess is Juszczyk catches way more passes than any fantasy player would like this year.  
I really appreciate your analysis, SSND.  Seriously, when I see you post in a thread, I go read that thread.  Thanks.

I really appreciate your analysis, SSND. Seriously, when I see you post in a thread, I go read that thread. Thanks.
I appreciate it man I'm just trying to be thorough. But I would also love if someone else could look at what I watched and tell me if there's something I'm missing about Breida. I could understand a small sample size argument but that argument works both ways. He only had 22 receptions in college (three seasons) so I don't know why it's safe to assume that he will step into a majority of McKinnon's targets. And again, just basing off of what I watched from last year, I don't think it's a safe assumption in the slightest. The dude was consistently dropping some very catchable balls. 

I'm not sure if this Bay area sports reporter has a source within the Niners feeding him this info, but this is what Pro Football Talk has up:

Alfred Morris expected to start if Jerick McKinnon is out

If McKinnon is out, Morris is the likely starter, Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area reports.

LINK

I'm not sure if this Bay area sports reporter has a source within the Niners feeding him this info, but this is what Pro Football Talk has up:

Alfred Morris expected to start if Jerick McKinnon is out

If McKinnon is out, Morris is the likely starter, Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area reports.

LINK
Jerick McKinnon suffers torn ACL on final play of team workout

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24548405/jerick-mckinnon-san-francisco-49ers-knee-injury

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers running back Jerick McKinnontore his ACL while making a cut on the last play of practice Saturday, a league source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

An MRI confirmed the tear.

Niners coach Kyle Shanahan said McKinnon made a cut on air and immediately went down awkwardly on a non-contact play.

Because McKinnon's injury was noncontact and because of how it looked, Shanahan acknowledged there was concern it was ACL-related.

"Yeah, I mean anytime I watch someone feel their knee, there's always that concern," Shanahan said before an official diagnosis was announced. "But I have felt that way before and it hasn't been (an ACL), so I'm not trying to (make this) the darkest moment in the world right now. We hope that we're wrong."

McKinnon missed most of the preseason with a calf strain suffered in a practice Aug. 12. He had slowly been working his way back but was expected to be ready for the Sept. 9 opener against the Minnesota Vikingsbefore Saturday's injury. In fact, Shanahan said Saturday was McKinnon's first time back working in live team drills.

McKinnon was expected to be the Niners' starting running back in the opener, a role he had been unable to grasp in his previous four seasons with Minnesota.

The Niners signed McKinnon to a four-year, $30 million in the offseason and had high hopes for making him one of the focal points of their offense. The injury also came just before teams had to trim their roster to the league-mandated 53 players.

San Francisco released running backs Joe Williams, Jeremy McNichols and Jeff Wilson Jr. as part of those roster moves.

You’re still only drafting him for depth (at least I would hope you’re not expecting to roll him out as a starter) so similar to guys like ADP. Bye week flex type stuff. 

You’re still only drafting him for depth (at least I would hope you’re not expecting to roll him out as a starter) so similar to guys like ADP. Bye week flex type stuff. 
Exactly; morris  owners can only hope shanny rides him to the sunset

Last edited by a moderator:
Strangest thing happened in my draft today for my local league 12 team non PPR league.  23rd round Breida and Morris still on board.  I had only 1 QB Brady (Winston) and 1 TE Rudolph.  If I don't take another TE and Rudolph goes down in practice I get a 0 no waivers before week 1.  If Brady goes down no QB.

I took Breida in 23rd (I know absurd he was still there) then followed up with Morris in 24th.

After I got done with draft I got the news.  Bizzaro world.

Strangest thing happened in my draft today for my local league 12 team non PPR league.  23rd round Breida and Morris still on board.  I had only 1 QB Brady (Winston) and 1 TE Rudolph.  If I don't take another TE and Rudolph goes down in practice I get a 0 no waivers before week 1.  If Brady goes down no QB.

I took Breida in 23rd (I know absurd he was still there) then followed up with Morris in 24th.

After I got done with draft I got the news.  Bizzaro world.
That's how you win your leagues??

Dang. That's weird-### mojo. 

3 yards and a cloud of dust. 

I like Alf.

i was surprised he was just sitting around for the Niners to sign when they did.

I’m hopeful Alf can get the job done. But I’m not thrilled with the type of offense the Niners will be running with Alf as opposed to a more dynamic McKinnon.

they never should have let Hyde go. 

3 yards and a cloud of dust. 

I like Alf.

i was surprised he was just sitting around for the Niners to sign when they did.

I’m hopeful Alf can get the job done. But I’m not thrilled with the type of offense the Niners will be running with Alf as opposed to a more dynamic McKinnon.

they never should have let Hyde go. 
Ding ding ding ding ding!

Users who are viewing this thread