What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post Your 2013 Dynasty Rookie Draft (1 Viewer)

ctrlaltdefeat

Footballguy
I'll start it off with mine.

12 team ppr - 1/2/3/1 and 1 flex (rb, wr, te)

1) Cordarrelle Patterson WR Tennessee

2) Eddie Lacy RB Alabama

3) Montee Ball RB Wisconsin

4) Giovanni Bernard RB UNC

5) Keenan Allen wr Cal

6) Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

7) Jonathan Franklin, RB - UCLA

8) Justin Hunter, WR - TEN

9) da rick rogers wr tenn tech

10) de andre hopkins wr clemson

11) Tavon Austin WR

12) Zach Ertz TE

13) Andre Ellington RB

14) Le'veon bell rb michigan

15) Terrence Williams, WR Baylor

16) Quinton Patton WR Louisiana Tech

17) Jawan Jamison, RB Rutgers

18) marcus lattimore rb south Carolina

19) Geno Smith QB WVU

20) Joseph Randle RB OK STATE

21) Markus Wheaton WR, Oregon State

22) Christine Michael, RB Texas A&M

23) Robert Woods WR USC

24) Ray Graham RB Pitt

25) Matt Barkley qb USC

26) Mike Gillislee RB Florida

27) Aaron Dobson, WR Marshall

28) Stepfan Taylor rb stanford

29) Zac Stacy rb

30) Marquise Goodwin wr Texas

30) Marquess Wilson WR Washington ST

31) Ryan Swope wr Texas A & M

32) Knile Davis rb Arkansas

33) Travis Kelce te Cincinnati

34) EJ Manuel qb Florida State

35) Gavin Escobar te

36) Tyler Wilson qb Arkansas

Last edited by a moderator:
Zac Stacy is going to be such a steal if he keeps going in the 3rd in these pre-NFL draft rookie drafts. Love it.

Zac Stacy is going to be such a steal if he keeps going in the 3rd in these pre-NFL draft rookie drafts. Love it.
He's slowly moving up boards. He'll be a high second rounder pretty soon.
I've got the 2.1 in a league like this that drafts before the NFL and I'll be targeting him there.
2.10 or 2.01? Pretty sure you can wait a bit if it's the latter. He's not going before the 30s in the drafts I've seen.ETA: just checked and he went #28 and #28 in two drafts with several devy players already out of the rookie pool. So solidly in the mid-30s.

He's slowly moving up boards. He'll be a high second rounder pretty soon.
I've got the 2.1 in a league like this that drafts before the NFL and I'll be targeting him there.
2.10 or 2.01? Pretty sure you can wait a bit if it's the latter. He's not going before the 30s in the drafts I've seen.ETA: just checked and he went #28 and #28 in two drafts with several devy players already out of the rookie pool. So solidly in the mid-30s.
Yeah sorry, 2.01.I'm part of another forum that seems to be collectively intrigued by Stacy, and the majority of my leaguemates frequent that site. So I might need to reach at the top of the 2nd for him. I also have the 3.01, so it's worth considering waiting for sure.

People draft before the April draft? That makes 0 sense to me.
It's fun if you have to do your own legwork instead of relying on the NFL draft to tell you who to pick. Obviously adds a bit of randomness to things, but the cream usually rises.

Makes it twice as fun, for me. You need a league very interested in the talent evaluation part of the rookie draft, as you don't have the NFL's evaluation to work from. Makes the NFL draft twice as fun as well, because you're rooting for your guys to land in great situations. Imagine being the guy who took Jon Dwyer in the top-5 and then watched him fall all the way to the 6th? It adds some randomness, but it's really fun. Started an entire league around the idea, because it's too radical a change to just spring on an existing league. Changes the worth of draft picks drastically.

Ball at 1.3 seems crazy to me. I can see situation breaking his way if a team like PIT looks past his physical tools and drafts on resume, but even then I don't think he's 1.3.

Unless your player is uber-talented (and even then) he will rise and fall as to where he goes. You see QB's under Reid and when they go elsewhere? You see Fitzgerald? You can draft the most talented guy but if you're picking 6 or so his talent could be rendered useless depending on landing spot. Drafting now takes away some of the skill and puts it in the luck column. Kind of like a week 17 SB. But hey, enjoy.

Unless your player is uber-talented (and even then) he will rise and fall as to where he goes. You see QB's under Reid and when they go elsewhere? You see Fitzgerald? You can draft the most talented guy but if you're picking 6 or so his talent could be rendered useless depending on landing spot. Drafting now takes away some of the skill and puts it in the luck column. Kind of like a week 17 SB. But hey, enjoy.
I'm a draft right after the NFL draft guy due to the imperfect information we have on players, but I can appreciate the challenge of this format.

I'm not in any leagues that draft before the NFL draft but I can certainly see the intrigue of it. You're going by your own assesment of these players instead of the NFLs.Also it probably makes the NFL draft even more interesting - hoping your guys land in good spots.

I don't remember ever seeing two TE's go in the 1st round.
I was about to post the same thing. That seems really high at a time when there seems to be a glut of TE talent.
depends on the league though....in my dynasty its .5/1.0/1.5 RB/WR/TE PPR....I expect Eifert to go in the top 4 and Ernz in the top 10 in my draft....
Sure, it makes sense under your scenario, but it doesn't look like that's the case in this example. Nothing was specified other than 'PPR'.

Argh. This thread is off to a bad start with only one rookie draft listed followed by a bunch of useless discussion about the pros and cons of pre-NFL draft rookie drafts and the validity of two rookie TE's going in the 1st round which is being defended by some based on a scoring system for which this one example was not (1.5ppr for TE's).

Get it together fellas! :rant:

Drafting before April seems weird to me. Sure it would be a challenge and the draft would be so much more fun, but we aren't in the NFL front offices. We don't get to have guys in for workouts or out to dinner and pick their brains to figure out if they are knuckleheads or not. But I can see some benefits.

At first I was thinking back to my main league where we had out Free Agent night (we bid on players who's contracts were up) so early in the offseason to keep something going on year round in the league that we did it before NFL Free Agency. Guys were getting signed to big contracts and then their NFL team would bring a FA at the same position or draft a guy in the first round. After a couple years of that stupidity we moved it back. I saw no benefit in that (unlike some I see for this), but it took me a good two years to get it moved back. Listening to the owners defend keeping the early Free Agent Night date (I'm talking in February), was comedy. Some guys said they would rather keep the uncertainty in their major offseason decisions, one of which seemed to be rebuilding every single season.

Give me some more information so I can make an informed decision and save me some time to spend with my family or around the grill...

The whole point of an early rookie draft is incomplete information. If you can separate the gems from the frauds without needing the NFL draft as a guide map, you can turn a much bigger profit in an early February rookie draft than you could in a May rookie draft.

We did a startup last year in early February that included all rookies. Here's the order they went in:

1. Trent Richardson

2. Justin Blackmon

3. Andrew Luck

4. Robert Griffin III

5. Michael Floyd

6. Lamar Miller

7. Kendall Wright

8. Doug Martin

9. David Wilson

10. Alshon Jeffery

11. Rueben Randle

12. Juron Criner

13. Chris Polk

14. LaMichael James

15. Mohamed Sanu

16. Dwayne Allen

17. Bernard Pierce

18. Ryan Broyles

19. Tauren Pool

20. Orson Charles

21. Coby Fleener

22. Tommy Streeter

23. Robert Turbin

24. Isaiah Peed

25. Vick Ballard

26. Stephen Hill

27. Ronnie Hillman

28. Joe Adams

29. Cyrus Gray

30. Jeff Fuller

31. Brian Quick

32. Ryan Tannehill

33. Dwight Jones

34. Chris Givens

35. Nick Toon

36. Marvin McNutt

37. Chris Rainey

38. BJ Cunningham

39. Marvin Jones

40. Devier Posey

41. Michael Egnew

42. Edwin Baker

43. Ty Hilton

44. Greg Childs

45. Jarius Wright

46. Ladarius Green

47. TJ Graham

48. Brock Oswelier

49. Bobby Rainey

50. Jonas Grey

51. Devon Wylie

52. Brandon Bolden

53. Lance Lewis

54. Dan Herron

55. AJ Jenkins

56. Terrance Ganaway

57. Brandon Weeden

58. Bryce Brown

As you can see, there were some pretty massive steals. For me, the allure of an early draft is the same as the allure of dev leagues: you can get superstar talents at thrift store prices because they're still relatively unknown.

When players have been in the league for 3-4 years, we usually have a pretty good idea of who they are. When they get drafted by NFL teams, we have a decent idea of who they are. When they're just college players, they're largely unknowns.

The further back you reach, the less certainty you have. That means more opportunities to find awesome players before they become untouchable. You can't get Julio Jones or AJ Green in any leagues now because the market price is nauseating, but maybe you can get Amari Cooper and maybe he'll become that type of player.

Less information = more emphasis placed on your ability to navigate uncertainty = more of an edge for good owners.

Starting ours on Tuesday. 14 teams, PPR. Offense only. 7 rounds, because we have unlimited rosters until the cut-down date after preseason. This one's going deeeep.

Will update as we go.

This is just a mock but not much going on right now so I thought I would post it anyway since it goes 4 rounds and has analysis.

http://dynastyfootballwarehouse.com/how-the-experts-see-it-pre-draft/
I disagree with most of the post round commentary. I like Gillislee as a solid insider runner. He can have all the Ryan Mathew types he wants.

How can Vance McDonald be a surprise pick or a bad pick at 4.11? He may not work out but there is little risk at 4.11.

Just started. 14 team PPR. Will update as we go. Pretty unconventional so far, guys are obviously much more likely to go with their gut/eyes in this format when we have no idea how NFL teams have evaluated these guys. Its really fun the way these picks can come out of the blue as guys "reach" past conventional ADP to get their guys that they believe in:

1.1 Eddie Lacy

1.2 Cordarelle Patterson

1.3 Giovanni Bernard

1.4 Da'Rick Rogers

1.5 Tavon Austin

1.6 Jonathan Franklin

1.7 DeAndre Hopkins

1.8 Montee Ball

1.9 Keenan Allen

1.10 Marcus Lattimore

1.11 Justin Hunter

1.12 Christine Michael

1.13 Andre Ellington

1.14 Zac Stacy

2.1 Le'Veon Bell

2.2 Tyler Eifert

2.3 Knile Davis

2.4 Spencer Ware

2.5 Robert Woods

2.6 Geno Smith

2.7 Joseph Randle

2.8 Markus Wheaton

2.9 Quinton Patton

2.10 Terrence Williams

2.11 Stedman Bailey

2.12 Mike Gillislee

2.13 Zach Ertz

2.14 Rex Burkhead

3.1 Travis Kelce

3.2 Stepfan Taylor

3.3 Aaron Dobson

3.4 Marquess Wilson

3.5 Chris Harper

3.6 Josh Boyce

3.7 Kenjon Barner

3.8 Ryan Swope

3.9 Tyler Wilson

3.10 James Casey

3.11 Kerwynn Williams

3.12 Jawan Jamison

3.13 Miguel Maysonet

3.14 Denard Robinson

4.1 Ray Graham

4.2 E.J. Manuel

4.3 Mark Harrison

4.4 Mike Glennon

4.5 Gavin Escobar

4.6 D.J. Harper

4.7 Montel Harris

4.8 Tavarres King

4.9 Jordan Reed

4.10 Marquise Goodwin

4.11 Keenan Davis

4.12 Matt Barkley

4.13 Ryan Nassib

4.14 Latavius Murray

5.1 Dennis Johnson

5.2 Stepfon Jefferson

5.3 Marcus Davis

5.4 Kenny Stills

5.5 Vance McDonald

5.6 Cobi Hamilton

5.7 Charles Johnson

5.8 Aaron Mellette

5.9 Tyler Bray

5.10 Cierre Wood

5.11 Dion Sims

5.12 Jake Stoneburner

5.13 George Winn

5.14 Michael Ford

6.1 Michael Hill

6.2 Connor Vernon

6.3 CJ Anderson

6.4 Chad Bumphis

6.5 Kenbrell Thompkins

6.6 Emory Blake

6.7 Courtney Gardner

6.8 Mike James

6.9 Matt Scott

6.10 Arrelious Benn

6.11 Corey Fuller

6.12 Dion Lewis

6.13 Jasper Collins

6.14 T.J. Moe

7.1 Onterrio McCalebb

7.2 Brandon Kaufman

7.3 Ace Sanders

7.4 Zach Rogers

7.5 Jeremy Stewart

7.6 Levine Toilolo

7.7 Treavor Scales

7.8 Ryan Otten

7.9 Zac Dysert

7.10 Chris Gragg

7.11 Theo Riddick

7.12 Tim Hightower

7.13 Benny Cunningham

7.14 Robbie Rouse

ConnSKINS26 said:
Just started. 14 team PPR. Will update as we go. Pretty unconventional so far, guys are obviously much more likely to go with their gut/eyes in this format when we have no idea how NFL teams have evaluated these guys. Its really fun the way these picks can come out of the blue as guys "reach" past conventional ADP to get their guys that they believe in: 1.1 Eddie Lacy1.2 Cordarelle Patterson1.3 Giovanni Bernard1.4 Da'Rick Rogers1.5 Tavon Austin1.6 Jonathan Franklin1.7 DeAndre Hopkins1.8 Montee Ball1.9 Keenan Allen1.10 Marcus Lattimore1.11 Justin Hunter1.12 Christine Michael1.13 Andre Ellington1.14 Zac Stacy2.1 Le'Veon Bell
Bump. Into the 2nd round now.
Start 0 TE league?

ConnSKINS26 said:
Just started. 14 team PPR. Will update as we go. Pretty unconventional so far, guys are obviously much more likely to go with their gut/eyes in this format when we have no idea how NFL teams have evaluated these guys. Its really fun the way these picks can come out of the blue as guys "reach" past conventional ADP to get their guys that they believe in: 1.1 Eddie Lacy1.2 Cordarelle Patterson1.3 Giovanni Bernard1.4 Da'Rick Rogers1.5 Tavon Austin1.6 Jonathan Franklin1.7 DeAndre Hopkins1.8 Montee Ball1.9 Keenan Allen1.10 Marcus Lattimore1.11 Justin Hunter1.12 Christine Michael1.13 Andre Ellington1.14 Zac Stacy2.1 Le'Veon Bell
Neither TE picked yet?!

Nope, start 1 TE league, but the TE1's are spread around the league very evenly. I'm surprised as well, and trying to trade up as we speak for Eifert.

And what do you mean "neither" TE picked yet, as if there's a consensus #2 guy at TE? There isn't.

Nope, start 1 TE league, but the TE1's are spread around the league very evenly. I'm surprised as well, and trying to trade up as we speak for Eifert.And what do you mean "neither" TE picked yet, as if there's a consensus #2 guy at TE? There isn't.
Most people still consider Ertz the #2 TE even though his stock has dropped.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Neither TE picked yet?!
Both are overrated.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Neither TE picked yet?!
Both are overrated.
Seems to be the theme for every single player in this draft.......

Just started. 14 team PPR. Will update as we go. Pretty unconventional so far, guys are obviously much more likely to go with their gut/eyes in this format when we have no idea how NFL teams have evaluated these guys. Its really fun the way these picks can come out of the blue as guys "reach" past conventional ADP to get their guys that they believe in: 1.1 Eddie Lacy1.2 Cordarelle Patterson1.3 Giovanni Bernard1.4 Da'Rick Rogers1.5 Tavon Austin1.6 Jonathan Franklin1.7 DeAndre Hopkins1.8 Montee Ball1.9 Keenan Allen1.10 Marcus Lattimore1.11 Justin Hunter1.12 Christine Michael1.13 Andre Ellington1.14 Zac Stacy2.1 Le'Veon Bell2.2 Tyler Eifert2.3 Knile Davis2.4 Spencer Ware2.5 Robert Woods2.6 Geno Smith2.7 Joseph Randle2.8 Markus Wheaton2.9 Quinton Patton2.10 Terrence Williams2.11 Stedman Bailey2.12 Mike Gillislee2.13 Zach Ertz2.14 Rex Burkhead3.1 Travis Kelce3.2 Stepfan Taylor3.3 Aaron Dobson3.4 Marquess Wilson3.5 Chris Harper3.6 Josh Boyce3.7 Kenjon Barner3.8 Ryan Swope3.9 Tyler Wilson3.10 James Casey3.11 Kerwynn Williams3.12 Jawan Jamison3.13 Miguel Maysonet3.14 Denard Robinson4.1 Ray Graham4.2 E.J. Manuel4.3 Mark Harrison

4.4 Mike Glennon

4.5 Gavin Escobar
Almost midway through round 4, bolded my picks. A couple reaches to get my guys, I'll admit. But that's the great thing about drafting before the NFL. Conventional ADP means nothing because someone could gamble on their guy at any time, banking on the NFL liking them more than people predict...and you have to plan accordingly depending on how much you like a guy.

Just started. 14 team PPR. Will update as we go. Pretty unconventional so far, guys are obviously much more likely to go with their gut/eyes in this format when we have no idea how NFL teams have evaluated these guys. Its really fun the way these picks can come out of the blue as guys "reach" past conventional ADP to get their guys that they believe in: 1.1 Eddie Lacy1.2 Cordarelle Patterson1.3 Giovanni Bernard1.4 Da'Rick Rogers1.5 Tavon Austin1.6 Jonathan Franklin1.7 DeAndre Hopkins1.8 Montee Ball1.9 Keenan Allen1.10 Marcus Lattimore1.11 Justin Hunter1.12 Christine Michael1.13 Andre Ellington1.14 Zac Stacy2.1 Le'Veon Bell2.2 Tyler Eifert2.3 Knile Davis2.4 Spencer Ware2.5 Robert Woods2.6 Geno Smith2.7 Joseph Randle2.8 Markus Wheaton2.9 Quinton Patton2.10 Terrence Williams2.11 Stedman Bailey2.12 Mike Gillislee2.13 Zach Ertz2.14 Rex Burkhead3.1 Travis Kelce3.2 Stepfan Taylor3.3 Aaron Dobson3.4 Marquess Wilson3.5 Chris Harper3.6 Josh Boyce3.7 Kenjon Barner3.8 Ryan Swope3.9 Tyler Wilson3.10 James Casey3.11 Kerwynn Williams3.12 Jawan Jamison3.13 Miguel Maysonet3.14 Denard Robinson4.1 Ray Graham4.2 E.J. Manuel4.3 Mark Harrison

4.4 Mike Glennon

4.5 Gavin Escobar
I see the Da'Rick Rogers pick as a belief in his talent. He is not ranked this high by scouts and he has had off the field issues as part of the reason for that. In the rookie players poll being run by Faust he is pick 10. Meanwhile Keenan Allen was pick 4 in the poll but falls to 9 here. So seems like they have flipped spots in PPR. Rodgers was 2.02 in standard scoring poll.

There was a big run on Rbs at the end of the 1st round and into the 2nd round. I think the Nfl draft will drop a couple of those guys later.

Even though this is a 14 team league I am still seeing players I like being available into the 3rd and 4th rounds. Most drafts, even IDP leagues I am not seeing talent like this being around so late as there are players this year. I would actually like to have some roster space for later picks from this draft.

Who is 2.4 Spencer Ware? :loco:

I was about to post the same thing. That seems really high at a time when there seems to be a glut of TE talent.
Is there? You've got Gronk, Graham, and Hernandez, but then who? Rudolph is young and gets TDs, but where are the yards? Witten is great, but pretty old for a TE. Ditto that for Daniels. Gates and Vernon are both MIA. Gonzo has made it clear he's a one year rental. Finley's stock has dropped like a rock. You're left with players like Olsen and Pitta being above-average dynasty TE1s- two TEs who are 28 and possess severely limited upsides. I'd say the TE pool right now is extremely shallow, and I'd be very high on some of the rookies compared to the veteran alternatives.
Crappy draft.

Users who are viewing this thread