What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (1 Viewer)

I understand the word "concern" but with the Pats being so stringent with the cap #'s, I don't think they are concerned at all considering his new contract. Maybe I'm wrong????
They got him extremely cheap for 4 years, less than $4.5M a year through 2015. In 2016 he goes up to $10M a year. Hernandez by comparison averages $7.5M a year from 2016-2018.

Looks like another new surgery is planned to remove the current plate in his arm and put a new one in. Worry is ongoing infection.

Top story on ESPN.com.

Must be MRSA, something me and my family have experience with; maybe changing my tune but I'm officially a little worried for this season. Career wise it shouldn't bother him but I bet he'll be a little off this season since I doubt he's been able to do mch working out.

USA Today reports Rob Gronkowski's doctors are "still a few weeks" away from determining whether Gronkowski needs a fourth left arm surgery.
Doctors are weighing non-surgical options to address Gronkowski's pesky infection. Even if Gronkowski needs the fourth surgery, there would be a chance he'd return before Week 1. A person informed of Gronkowski's status told USA Today there are "no scheduled surgeries at this point." The Patriots' medical staff won't have a good read on Gronk's status until his antibiotics cycle ends.

are people really worrying about the best FF TE to ever play in the NFL???Find another hobby trolls.
Please tell me more about how much you dont know? Looks like many are worried, including the team. Yikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, not real worried about his arm in MARCH at all.And judging by all the owners who have Gronk that I have been trying to trade for, neither do they.Why can't some of you guys here that are worried about this stuff be the former owners of Gronk after I rip you off cause you think he is injury prone. Boo hoo for me.
Even though rumors say he may miss week 1? Are you worried in April?

Must be MRSA, something me and my family have experience with; maybe changing my tune but I'm officially a little worried for this season. Career wise it shouldn't bother him but I bet he'll be a little off this season since I doubt he's been able to do mch working out.

USA Today reports Rob Gronkowski's doctors are "still a few weeks" away from determining whether Gronkowski needs a fourth left arm surgery.
Doctors are weighing non-surgical options to address Gronkowski's pesky infection. Even if Gronkowski needs the fourth surgery, there would be a chance he'd return before Week 1. A person informed of Gronkowski's status told USA Today there are "no scheduled surgeries at this point." The Patriots' medical staff won't have a good read on Gronk's status until his antibiotics cycle ends.
Same here -- it's just too much. I only own him in one keeper league (keep 2) and this may be enough to drop him (probably drop him for Spiller).

It may not be a supberbugs like MRSA, it could just be that the second surgery wasn't able to clean it all out because the plate itself is harboring the infection.

WAG. Not a doctor. Didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

yeah, not real worried about his arm in MARCH at all.And judging by all the owners who have Gronk that I have been trying to trade for, neither do they.Why can't some of you guys here that are worried about this stuff be the former owners of Gronk after I rip you off cause you think he is injury prone. Boo hoo for me.
Even though rumors say he may miss week 1? Are you worried in April?
Not worried at all. I will be trying to get him in every league. Unfortunately, the owners that have him aren't going to sell for less because of an arm infection in April. MRSA or not.

I hope he recovers as expected. With that said, this is poetic justice for Bullychick if he is out at all. Remember how this injury happened...on an extra point running up the score on the Colts.

I hope he recovers as expected. With that said, this is poetic justice for Bullychick if he is out at all. Remember how this injury happened...on an extra point running up the score on the Colts.
And also remember, he reinjured it on a fall trying to make a catch and prolly again after he was body slamming friends at a club. I'm not certain that reinjured i being an idiot, as I am not a doctor, but I'm just going out on a limb and saying that could not of helped it heal faster.

He is injury prone, he just is, its not debatable or even an argument. Does any one remember he had a neck injury in college as well?

And also remember, he reinjured it on a fall trying to make a catch and prolly again after he was body slamming friends at a club. I'm not certain that reinjured i being an idiot, as I am not a doctor, but I'm just going out on a limb and saying that could not of helped it heal faster. He is injury prone, he just is, its not debatable or even an argument. Does any one remember he had a neck injury in college as well?
He didn't miss a regular season game until last year. I think you're overstating it a bit here.

And also remember, he reinjured it on a fall trying to make a catch and prolly again after he was body slamming friends at a club. I'm not certain that reinjured i being an idiot, as I am not a doctor, but I'm just going out on a limb and saying that could not of helped it heal faster. He is injury prone, he just is, its not debatable or even an argument. Does any one remember he had a neck injury in college as well?
He didn't miss a regular season game until last year. I think you're overstating it a bit here.
yeah. Gronk is not injury prone. And I dont value him any less at all

Yeah, just cuz you dont miss MANY REGULAR SEASON games does not mean you are not injury prone. It just means he does not miss many REGULAR SEASON games because of those injuries. But he is often injured never the less.

I love how you made sure to put regular season, even though him not being available in the playoffs when they need him is awfully huge.

ETA: His neck, his ankle, his forearm (3 times), what else am I missing?

Yeah, just cuz you dont miss MANY REGULAR SEASON games does not mean you are not injury prone. It just means he does not miss many REGULAR SEASON games because of those injuries. But he is often injured never the less. I love how you made sure to put regular season, even though him not being available in the playoffs when they need him is awfully huge. ETA: His neck, his ankle, his forearm (3 times), what else am I missing?
It was a back injury that kept him out of the combine, right?

Yeah, just cuz you dont miss MANY REGULAR SEASON games does not mean you are not injury prone. It just means he does not miss many REGULAR SEASON games because of those injuries. But he is often injured never the less. I love how you made sure to put regular season, even though him not being available in the playoffs when they need him is awfully huge. ETA: His neck, his ankle, his forearm (3 times), what else am I missing?

Back injury

Yeah, just cuz you dont miss MANY REGULAR SEASON games does not mean you are not injury prone. It just means he does not miss many REGULAR SEASON games because of those injuries. But he is often injured never the less.

I love how you made sure to put regular season, even though him not being available in the playoffs when they need him is awfully huge.

What you are probably missing is Gronk from any of your teams, because clearly you think he is trash and I would bet at least one person in all of your leagues would pay or has paid you a good price for him recently.

I am easily still paying 1st round startup value. Even if I knew he would miss the first 6 games of this season, I am not lowering how much I value him.

You disagree?? I don't care. Have fun doing so.

So all the worst case scenario regarding this makes it sound like Gronk might not be ready for week 1.

So in dynasty circles....................is anyone actually lowering their value of Gronk because of this??? If so, please contact me and we can talk trade, cause I am certainly a Gronk buyer if people are selling.

This has to increase Hernandez's value even further.
I agree with you that is probably will................but really, should it?? Say Gronk misses the first 3 weeks of the season. Is that really enough to increase hernandez's value?? I mean, I certainly wouldn't pay more for him to MAYBE get a boost for 2-3 weeks at the start of the year.

I love Hernandez and paid a good price to get him in a league this offseason, but I wouldn't pay more NOW cause of this.

Just at a glance it doesn't look like it matters a whole lot to Gronk's or Hernandez's numbers if the other guy is there or not.

2011 and 2012 in 18 games together:

--Gronk's line prorates to a 16-game season of 1235/17

--AHern's line prorates to a 16-game season of 924/8

But in games where only one played:

--Gronk's 10-game line would work out to be 1267/18 for a full season.

--In five games without Gronk, Hernandez's stats prorate to 947/10 for 16 games.

How could an infection in early April mean he may not be ready for September?
They can't do another surgery until the infection is gone and they aren't sure how long that would take.

If another surgery is required, the estimate for a recovery would be about 10 weeks. Depending on when the surgery can be performed, which would be determined by whether the infection is completely eradicated

Just at a glance it doesn't look like it matters a whole lot to Gronk's or Hernandez's numbers if the other guy is there or not.

2011 and 2012 in 18 games together:

--Gronk's line prorates to a 16-game season of 1235/17

--AHern's line prorates to a 16-game season of 924/8

But in games where only one played:

--Gronk's 10-game line would work out to be 1267/18 for a full season.

--In five games without Gronk, Hernandez's stats prorate to 947/10 for 16 games.
Right, even if Gronk misses time, Hernandez's numbers (at least to this point) aren't any better when Gronk is out.

Gotta love offseason hype for stuff like this. And gotta love people who abandon ship and sell low, lol

I think it is almost pointless to try to establish exact fantasy "values" this far before the season. Of course, we can all try to play doctor and speculate--but who are we kidding here? The key is to look at the facts and the reality that we know. We know that Gronk is one of the best and most physical Tight ends in reality and of course fantasy. We also know that it is crucial that his forearm be healthy for him to perform at a high level. We are looking at possibly a likely 4th operation that according to professional medical reports--could very easily jeopardize availability for week 1. This also does not take into account that he is very likely to miss a lot or all of training camps. With that being said--- in what world does this not hurt his value at least a bit? It sure as heck doesn't raise his value. The key here is if this circumstance lowers his value enough to where some of us might be motivated to "buy" him. I personally won't draft him in the first round of redraft leagues as I think the risk outweighs the rewards there--but I would absolutely look at him in the 2nd/3rd rounds if he is still available.

I think it is almost pointless to try to establish exact fantasy "values" this far before the season. Of course, we can all try to play doctor and speculate--but who are we kidding here? The key is to look at the facts and the reality that we know. We know that Gronk is one of the best and most physical Tight ends in reality and of course fantasy. We also know that it is crucial that his forearm be healthy for him to perform at a high level. We are looking at possibly a likely 4th operation that according to professional medical reports--could very easily jeopardize availability for week 1. This also does not take into account that he is very likely to miss a lot or all of training camps. With that being said--- in what world does this not hurt his value at least a bit? It sure as heck doesn't raise his value. The key here is if this circumstance lowers his value enough to where some of us might be motivated to "buy" him. I personally won't draft him in the first round of redraft leagues as I think the risk outweighs the rewards there--but I would absolutely look at him in the 2nd/3rd rounds if he is still available.
I look at it like this. For dynasty purposes, he probably has 10 years left in his career. So 160 games. Why on earth am I gonna lower his value even if he was guaranteed to miss a game or two??

Ok, so say I lower his value 1-2 %. Big deal, that is like nothing.

He will lose some actual value in redraft leagues, specifically total points leagues, but for dynasty purposes he loses maybe 1% of his value for me, which is esentially nothing.

Oh yeah, not to mention he may very well not miss any time at all. And this injury will not keep him from running and maintaining the fantastic shape he is in.

My god, buy "low" on him from anyone stupid enough in your league to panic, which apparently is half the people in this thread.

A few years ago there were lots of Browns players that got staph infections. Don't think that changed any of their careers any

A few years ago there were lots of Browns players that got staph infections. Don't think that changed any of their careers any
How did it change their careers exactly? Unless Staph got into the Brains of Edwards and Winslow, pretty sure not much if at all. Other than missing some time, it didn't affect anything longterm. Jurevicius was at the end of his career, and Russell and Taylor were also going nowhere.

Bentley who knows, but he tore up his knee, so I would blame that more than anything. The complications didn't help anything, but that was also a knee, not a forearm.

What you are probably missing is Gronk from any of your teams, because clearly you think he is trash and I would bet at least one person in all of your leagues would pay or has paid you a good price for him recently.

I am easily still paying 1st round startup value. Even if I knew he would miss the first 6 games of this season, I am not lowering how much I value him.

You disagree?? I don't care. Have fun doing so.
Nope unloaded him, now have Graham. Next?

Continue with the opinions you have, because you are obviously always right.

Interesting. The most opinionated person on this site tells me "continue with the opinions you have, because you are obviously always right". Classic.

So what did you "unload him" for?? Without that little nugget of information, that statement was rather useless.

How could an infection in early April mean he may not be ready for September?
They can't do another surgery until the infection is gone and they aren't sure how long that would take.

>If another surgery is required, the estimate for a recovery would be about 10 weeks. Depending on when the surgery can be performed, which would be determined by whether the infection is completely eradicated
If I'm following right...

Another week or two for the current antibiotics cycle.

Then surgery. If the infection is gone they replace the plate. 10 week recovery. ~12 weeks total.

If the infection isn't gone at least another six weeks. Then surgery. Then 10 week recovery. 18 weeks minimum, depending on when the infection is gone.

Yesterday was 22 weeks out from Sunday of Week 1.

Interesting. The most opinionated person on this site tells me "continue with the opinions you have, because you are obviously always right". Classic.

So what did you "unload him" for?? Without that little nugget of information, that statement was rather useless.
Made this deal middle of last season...

Then made this deal in February.

How did it change their careers exactly? Unless Staph got into the Brains of Edwards and Winslow, pretty sure not much if at all. Other than missing some time, it didn't affect anything longterm. Jurevicius was at the end of his career, and Russell and Taylor were also going nowhere.

Bentley who knows, but he tore up his knee, so I would blame that more than anything. The complications didn't help anything, but that was also a knee, not a forearm.
Exactly. This infection won't change Gronk's career either

Infections can happen in surgery. Any surgery. It's always a risk. Gronk is not "infection-prone." He's also not "broken-bone-prone" unless you think he lacks vitamin C in his diet or something. If you have any kind of fantasy chops, get ready to lap up the value.

"He" is a raging idiot, and sold Graham for about 1/5 his actual worth. I wouldn't even give Witten for that "package". Maybe not even Gonzo knowing he will only play this year.

No idea what that deal has to do with Gronk whatsoever, or how it could possibly warrant your "next" comment.

I would send "he" a case of his preferred beer for giving you that gift of a trade. Either it was collusion, or he has no business playing any serious fantasy football leagues. One of those is clearly true.

And your Gronk trade was fine. Hard to call that "unloading" though. Even right this minute though, in 1.5 PPR TE leagues, I'll take Gronk side of that.

"He" is a raging idiot, and sold Graham for about 1/5 his actual worth. I wouldn't even give Witten for that "package". Maybe not even Gonzo knowing he will only play this year.

No idea what that deal has to do with Gronk whatsoever, or how it could possibly warrant your "next" comment.

I would send "he" a case of his preferred beer for giving you that gift of a trade. Either it was collusion, or he has no business playing any serious fantasy football leagues. One of those is clearly true.

And your Gronk trade was fine. Hard to call that "unloading" though. Even right this minute though, in 1.5 PPR TE leagues, I'll take Gronk side of that.
Seriously? Gronk over Quizz Thomas Finley and the Pick?

I never said it has to do with Gronk I said "Nope unloaded him (Gronk), now have Graham. Next?"

I never said i traded Gronk for Graham, you asked what i unloaded him for, then I showed how I aquired Graham. You asked. Sorry for providing to much info for you to digest.

But I think it is made quite obvious you read the parts you want and not all of a persons post.

You said earlier it was obvious I do not have Gronk and want him? Then i proved I moved him, I think it is quite obvious you have Gronk and will do anything including speak in unbelievable rhetoric your certainty that his arm is not concerning.

Pot meet kettle.

Users who are viewing this thread