What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (2 Viewers)

The odds that he plays and put up huge numbers are so slim it makes it a no brainer.

There are some people that for some reason assume that the second he steps foot on the field he's suddenly a top 10 weekly play. Why? Do you not think it might take a few games to get up to speed?
While he's getting up to speed--given his historical numbers--he is still a top 10 weekly play imo. Not just my opinion either--I drafted him for bait and after several inquiries finally agreed to a killer trade this waiver week, and would really prefer it if it works as well for the other guys as it looks like it did for me. :mellow:

The odds that he plays and put up huge numbers are so slim it makes it a no brainer.

There are some people that for some reason assume that the second he steps foot on the field he's suddenly a top 10 weekly play. Why? Do you not think it might take a few games to get up to speed?
What are you using to base your mythical odds on?

And no, I do not think he will need a couple of games to be a TE1

So if he doesn't play this week, is 1 or even 5 weeks rest going to make any kind of difference after all those surgeries.

I always wondered in the back on my mind, how so many surgeries can not be looked upon as a big redflag, but the fantasy community seemed to gloss over it.

Is it basically now or never with Gronk for this season,?
There was this ominous article from back in April:

NFL Rumors: Infection Could End Career Of Patriots’ Rob GronkowskiAccording to multiple reports, New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski will very likely need yet another surgery on his broken left arm, one that already has required three surgeries to this point. With this already devastating news, there is new fear that the infection may still need to be eradicated and, if there are still issues with the infection of the bone and plate, it could cost Gronkowski much more than just the beginning of the 2013 NFL season.

This is according to Dr. Ben Wedro, who practices emergency medicine at Gundersen Clinic in Wisconsin and has provided medical information for media outlets at the Olympics. He told The Boston Herald that the worst case scenario for Gronkowski and the Patriots could be quite dismal.

“If you have issues with reinfection of the bone and the plate, there can be long-term consequences that the bone will not heal,” said Wedro. “It may need significant time to heal. That means sometimes that they have to take the plate out, wash the wound out and let all of the infection completely resolve before they go back in and do a repair. Sometimes, you can get a chronic non-union, or non-healing, of the bone.”

Unfortunately, it gets worse.

Again, Wedro is not treating Gronkowski, so he does not have any first-hand knowledge of the injury or the exact situation as it relates to the tight end’s recovery. But he has seen similar cases before, and they do not always have a happy ending.

“If he has a wound that is chronically infected — they cannot get rid of the infection — it could stop them from having the definite operation to completely repair his arm, which means he probably would not play football,” Wedro said. “That is the worst-case scenario. I’m not saying that is going to happen, but that is the worst-case scenario.”
While I understand everyone wants information about this situation, this article isn't relevant. It comes from someone who has no actual first-hand knowledge of the injury/situation, AND it was from before the most recent forerarm surgery, AND after that 4th surgery, it was reported that the infection had cleared (link below).

http://tracking.si.com/2013/05/20/rob-gronkowski-arm-surgery-back-infection-patriots/

So, this report was someone saying "here's the worst-case scenario, even though I have not looked at Gronk, his forearm, an X-ray, anything." THEN, the worst-case scenario that he said could happen, was reported to not have happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do people forget 2 Fridays ago it was reported that "if the game were today, he'd play", then Sunday rolled around and he didn't? Something is going on.
:goodposting:
Yea, it is starting to feel like very bad news could be coming. The Pats obviously planned on him being ready by now so if he is not ready then something new is causing problems. New is not good.
If Dr. Andrews confirms these reports, wouldnt NE basically have to IR him?

Do people forget 2 Fridays ago it was reported that "if the game were today, he'd play", then Sunday rolled around and he didn't? Something is going on.
Yea, it is starting to feel like very bad news could be coming. The Pats obviously planned on him being ready by now so if he is not ready then something new is causing problems. New is not good.
Why would they? I don't think Gronk was on PUP or IR return. I think he had a roster spot, so they can sit on that spot unless Week 17, right?

I strongly suspect that Dr. Andrews has already given the Pats his report, but since the Pats are all cloak and dagger we will not know anything until Sunday. This week ends up like all the rest, wait and see what happens. He will play, not play or be put on IR at some point this season. With the Pats that is all you are going to get.

I strongly suspect that Dr. Andrews has already given the Pats his report, but since the Pats are all cloak and dagger we will not know anything until Sunday. This week ends up like all the rest, wait and see what happens. He will play, not play or be put on IR at some point this season. With the Pats that is all you are going to get.
Doctors: Gronkowski not cleared to playOctober 11 - The Sports Xchange

The New England Patriots still have not cleared tight end Rob Gronkowski to play, despite optimism earlier in the week that he could return this Sunday against the New Orleans Saints.

Dr. James Andrews, whom the Patriots hired as an independent physician, did not give Gronkowski clearance to play as of Friday, according to multiple media reports.

Gronkowski has been practicing for several weeks while recovering from multiple back and forearm surgeries, but has not played this season. Andrews did not operate on Gronkowski.

Dr. Jesse Jupiter, who performed Gronkowski's most recent forearm surgery, has also not cleared him to play, according to ESPN.

When Patriots coach Bill Belichick was asked Friday about his confidence in the team's medical staff, he said, "As it relates to our medical people, we have confidence in all of them. They do a good job."

Gronkowski said Thursday his status is still day-to-day. He practiced on a limited basis.

"It's basically nothing new," he said. "I mean, I'm just working hard every week, working hard out at practice, and nothing's changed, we're day by day, like we've been from the very beginning."

The New England Patriots still have not cleared tight end Rob Gronkowski to play, despite optimism earlier in the week that he could return this Sunday against the New Orleans Saints.

Dr. James Andrews, whom the Patriots hired as an independent physician, did not give Gronkowski clearance to play as of Friday, according to multiple media reports.

Gronkowski has been practicing for several weeks while recovering from multiple back and forearm surgeries, but has not played this season. Andrews did not operate on Gronkowski.

Dr. Jesse Jupiter, who performed Gronkowski's most recent forearm surgery, has also not cleared him to play, according to ESPN.

When Patriots coach Bill Belichick was asked Friday about his confidence in the team's medical staff, he said, "As it relates to our medical people, we have confidence in all of them. They do a good job."

Gronkowski said Thursday his status is still day-to-day. He practiced on a limited basis.

"It's basically nothing new," he said. "I mean, I'm just working hard every week, working hard out at practice, and nothing's changed, we're day by day, like we've been from the very beginning."
The retellings of this same story are getting more and more ominous despite no actual news.

It sounds like Dr. James Andrews has neither given nor not given clearance to play yet. Or am I misreading it and Andrews actually said Gronkowski is not ready?

It's a huge difference between Dr(s). have not seen him yet to give clearance and Dr(s) have seen him and are not giving clearance. None of the info I have read indicates which one it is....it just states that he doesn't have clearance to play yet. Maybe he has a scheduled visit with his Dr. this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

If he had seen one of the Drs this week and they didn't give clearance and told him he can't play I think this would have been reported differently ("Drs won't clear Gronk", etc). So, I'm holding on to a slim hope that he just hasn't seen the Drs yet and they will clear him.

Why would they? I don't think Gronk was on PUP or IR return. I think he had a roster spot, so they can sit on that spot unless Week 17, right?
He had a roster spot but that was based on who's information? If its this Dr that blew earlier surgeries and Gronk has a forearm that may never heal correctly it would seem he wont play at all this year.

I think PFT has it right that even if Gronk doesn't play until after Week 6 they kept him on the active roster so he could practice and get back to full fitness.

If he'd been on the PUP list he wouldn't have been allowed to practice either -- so his return would have been Week 9/10/??.

It's a huge difference between Dr(s). have not seen him yet to give clearance and Dr(s) have seen him and are not giving clearance. None of the info I have read indicates which one it is....it just states that he doesn't have clearance to play yet. Maybe he has a scheduled visit with his Dr. this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

If he had seen one of the Drs this week and they didn't give clearance and told him he can't play I think this would have been reported differently ("Drs won't clear Gronk", etc). So, I'm holding on to a slim hope that he just hasn't seen the Drs yet and they will clear him.
He has seen the Doctors-you don't have your stud TE seeing the good Dr. Andrews on Saturday, seeking that clearance late in the week before the Sunday game.

He has either seen Dr Andrews, and been cleared(yet nothing released by NE bc they like to hide $%*#)

or

Seen the Drs. and he's not cleared......based on not being ready.

Weeks back we heard Gronk family not being happy. I don't think NE hired Andrews for this consultation......I think Gronk's family hired that Dr. bc they don't trust the NE medical staff.

(KFFL)Updating an ongoing story, New England Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski's (forearm, back) representatives have serious concern over the health of his left forearm. Multiple industry sources said his arm might have recovered properly on its own if he hadn't had a plate surgically implanted into his arm to return to the field last season. A source said there is serious concern over the integrity of the bone and surrounding nerves near the plate. There are also concerns that an abscess developed following the surgery that caused an infection and weakened the bone. Gronkowski's family and representatives were made aware of the issues and advised him to hold off on returning until it could be determined if the bone had fully healed. This led to the decision to have Dr. James Andrews evaluate him.

Why does the same story continue getting posted in this thread?

edit: Probably because every news outlet keeps posting it every few minutes

Why does the same story continue getting posted in this thread?
Because the "media" is doing it as well. Because Gronk gets clicks, they each copy from each other the same story with slight changes in wording and hope that people click on it.
That explains why the same story keeps getting put up by various outlets.

It doesn't explain why the same story keeps getting posted in this thread.

The actual answer to the question "Why does the same story continue getting posted in this thread?" is that people are not reading the thread...they are just popping in to copy/paste the story they just saw.

Considering he's being listed as a game time decision, I would guess he hasn't seen the doctors for clearance yet. Or that he's been cleared, but the Pats are keeping a lid on it.

Obviously all a guess, but if his doctors had seen him and decided he couldn't be cleared I suspect it would leak.

OK. Here is what I heard pretty much being discussed all day on local media combining multiple discussions from multiple sources.

Gronk got medical clearance to return to play and came off the preseason PUP list at the end of training camp. The Pats felt he would be able to return somewhere in the Week 3-6 range and thus did not place him on the regular season PUP list to start the season. It sounds like Gronk struggled some to get in game day football shape and has had some lingering issue or issues (strength? pain? didn't feel right? wasn't 100%, fear of additional injury or permanent damage?)

The Pats medical staff saw how Gronk was progressing, assessed and evaluated him, and in their mind felt he has been ready to go for a while now. Gronk, on the other hand, has not been as sure of that. I heard today that one of the concerns in his camp is that he may have had an abscess occur in his arm from the plate being inserted and repeated surgeries. His doctor apparently told him that if that were the case, his arm could be much weaker and could be in danger of another break or potentially longer term issues if not fully healed.

Thus the Mexican standoff. The Pats expected him to be suited up and playing by now. Gronk/family/agent/posse concerned that he is not 100%. where Dr. Andrews comes in would be as the tiebreaker. It was speculated that one of the following happened: the Pats said get a second opinion from a top doctor (and he could pick the doctor) . . . OR . . . both sides spoke with the league and the league gave them a short list of medical experts and they both agreed to use Andrews.

To be clear, Gronk had to be medically cleared to begin with or he could not have practiced. The new request for medical clearance is to determine if his arm and back are fully healed, will he be at risk of additional damage or injury, and bottom line is he fit to play. It does not sound like Andrews has seen Gronk or given his opinion yet. I do not believe Andrews examined him and then said he could not play. The news that has come out today makes it sound like Andrews has checked him and has not given his blessing, which I believe is misleading. It sounds like all involved have yet to get together. Or they are in the process of getting together (or just did so) and the results of that check up, test, or examination have not been released to the public (or made it to the media yet).

OK. Here is what I heard pretty much being discussed all day on local media combining multiple discussions from multiple sources.

Gronk got medical clearance to return to play and came off the preseason PUP list at the end of training camp. The Pats felt he would be able to return somewhere in the Week 3-6 range and thus did not place him on the regular season PUP list to start the season. It sounds like Gronk struggled some to get in game day football shape and has had some lingering issue or issues (strength? pain? didn't feel right? wasn't 100%, fear of additional injury or permanent damage?)

The Pats medical staff saw how Gronk was progressing, assessed and evaluated him, and in their mind felt he has been ready to go for a while now. Gronk, on the other hand, has not been as sure of that. I heard today that one of the concerns in his camp is that he may have had an abscess occur in his arm from the plate being inserted and repeated surgeries. His doctor apparently told him that if that were the case, his arm could be much weaker and could be in danger of another break or potentially longer term issues if not fully healed.

Thus the Mexican standoff. The Pats expected him to be suited up and playing by now. Gronk/family/agent/posse concerned that he is not 100%. where Dr. Andrews comes in would be as the tiebreaker. It was speculated that one of the following happened: the Pats said get a second opinion from a top doctor (and he could pick the doctor) . . . OR . . . both sides spoke with the league and the league gave them a short list of medical experts and they both agreed to use Andrews.

To be clear, Gronk had to be medically cleared to begin with or he could not have practiced. The new request for medical clearance is to determine if his arm and back are fully healed, will he be at risk of additional damage or injury, and bottom line is he fit to play. It does not sound like Andrews has seen Gronk or given his opinion yet. I do not believe Andrews examined him and then said he could not play. The news that has come out today makes it sound like Andrews has checked him and has not given his blessing, which I believe is misleading. It sounds like all involved have yet to get together. Or they are in the process of getting together (or just did so) and the results of that check up, test, or examination have not been released to the public (or made it to the media yet).
Kind of close to game time for all of this, isn't it?

Kind of close to game time for all of this, isn't it?
Perhaps.

But they play at home, and it's still Friday.

And it's possible that get-together, examination, review of whatever, could have happened today but we don't know it yet?

I'm quite frustrated with this as a Gronk owner though. Starting to feel like owning Marvin Harrison his last season did.

I also read earlier today that Gronk is in Boston and not traveling to see Dr Andrews. That Dr Andrews would review MRI's of Gronk's forearm and give his opinion at that point.

Pretty much sums it or for a much shorter version Gronk was cleared by the Patriots several weeks ago but is refusing to play until he gets a second opinion because he does not trust the Patriots medical staff.

So if true, and I think it is, this talk about it being BB's or the teams decision we've been reading about the past few weeks is not accurate. The only holdup that is and currently exists is Gronk deciding it's time to play. That distinction probably means very little for if/when he returns this year but certainly sets up an interesting dynamic between Gronk and the Patriots long term future together should he decide to sit further.

With respect to bolded part they likely chose Andrews as it was reported he acted as a consultant to physician who performed his 4th surgery so besides being an authority on such matters he has a degree of familiarity.

I really don't know who BB thinks he is fooling if this is the case. The Saints have been practicing all week assuming Gronk will be returning. They are not buying any of the nonsense.

I really don't know who BB thinks he is fooling if this is the case. The Saints have been practicing all week assuming Gronk will be returning. They are not buying any of the nonsense.
The Saints may have wasted that time.

The Saints have prepared for both sceanrios.

I don't think any team really has to prepare at all for any Pats TEs if Gronk doesn't play. They have been pretty invisible so far.

Thats one thing Sean Payton is about is attention to detail and covering every possible scenario. They will be prepared for the hoodie and his schemes.

I don't think any team really has to prepare at all for any Pats TEs if Gronk doesn't play. They have been pretty invisible so far.
The Pats have been spent time preparing all week too, would that have been for with or without Gronk I wonder?

I'm just kind of curious, what does Gronk being out really mean for a defense facing the Pats. It occures to me it's encouraging for one thing, for another it frees them up to rush more. Earlier in the year I was wondering where those plays would go - Vereen, Amendola, Edelman, Thompkins. I just don't see where the Pats have fully replaced that hole.

Maybe Sunday's a shootout, maybe it's a 20-17 type game, should be great.

Looks like he isn't playing.

"ESPN's Ed Werder reports the Patriots no longer expect Rob Gronkowski (back, questionable) to play in Week 6 against the Saints."

Dude sounds like he's just scared to play no matter how many doctors clear him. Wish I could trade him, but no one in my league will touch him.

I know the popular advice is to hold him if you're 5-0, 4-1, even 3-2, but although I have a good record I have a weakness at QB and I'm gonna try to package him to get a decent QB from an owner who has 2 decent QB's.

This is screaming lost season to me for sure and I think the risk of holding and Gronk never suiting up is finally greater than selling and him coming back in beastmode. If I can get anything for him I'm bailing before the news gets worse in the next week or so and I'm left with a useless roster spot all the way up until the fantasy playoffs, because you're probably not gonna get enough clarity any time soon to make him droppable.

"ESPN's Ed Werder reports the Patriots no longer expect Rob Gronkowski (back, questionable) to play in Week 6 against the Saints."
First time I've been worried since he came out of the back surgery OK.

Same here. Up to this point it seemed like it might be another week or two and then he'd be fine. Now that theory is in serious jeapordy. I own him in a keeper league and redrafts and i'm starting to worry more about his career.

I think this was a mistake. Nothing else I am reading says back. If it is the back - I'll be worried too.
It's the arm... and I'm still worried. Will ask Dr. Bramel to jump in here with any thoughts he might have if he doesn't post something before Sunday.

This is exactly why I sold him as soon as the 'good news' started rolling out towards the beginning of the season.

Fantasy wise, I hate the Patriots. Obviously Gronk's health is numero uno, but these guys try to be too deceptive. I no longer own any Pats but I would love to b*tch-slap Bill Belicek. Like I'd pay money to do so.

I think this was a mistake. Nothing else I am reading says back. If it is the back - I'll be worried too.
It's the arm... and I'm still worried. Will ask Dr. Bramel to jump in here with any thoughts he might have if he doesn't post something before Sunday.
He has multiple post on twitter. I would post them, but I'm on my phone.

Users who are viewing this thread