What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (7 Viewers)

Keep hearing Haden might cover Gronk today. How would that work when Gronk is down in a 3-point next to the offensive tackle? Having a CB inside like that? Would the Browns really want Haden getting caught up in all that inside action?

Keep hearing Haden might cover Gronk today. How would that work when Gronk is down in a 3-point next to the offensive tackle? Having a CB inside like that? Would the Browns really want Haden getting caught up in all that inside action?
It wouldn't work well for Haden, he would get hammered. I could see them possibly doing this on obvious passing downs but that's about it if at all.

It wouldn't work well for Haden, he would get hammered. I could see them possibly doing this on obvious passing downs but that's about it if at all.
He's giving up 7" and 60 pounds. Good luck with that.

it might be over again

Rob Gronkowski was carted off the field with an apparent right leg injury in the third quarter of Sunday's Week 14 game against the Browns.

Gronkowski caught a 21-yard pass up the left seam but took a helmet straight to the side of his knee on the tackle by T.J. Ward. It looked ugly. Gronkowski was on the turf for a few minutes in obvious pain. The cart was called out. Gronkowski then made it a point to make sure not to put any weight on his right leg as he was shifted from turf to cart. He's certainly done for the day after catching two passes for 32 yards. This has the makings of a potentially serious injury and one that will have a big-time affect on the New England offense. We'll update Gronkowski's status as soon as more information is available.

You can add + knee/leg to the thread title.
add in ACL Tear

FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports the initial fear is that Rob Gronkowski suffered a torn right ACL in Sunday's Week 14 game against the Browns.

Gronkowski will undergo an MRI on Monday to confirm the crushing news. After the game, coach Bill Beilichick offered up little information, simply saying his tight end was "taken to the hospital for evaluation." Classic Belichick. Gronkowski is done for the season if the scan confirms a tear, and his status for Week 1 of 2014 will also be uncertain. We saw how badly the Patriots struggled without Gronkowski earlier this year. It's going to affect the offense in a monster way. That can't be understated. It does help that Shane Vereen is in the lineup this time around. He'll be leaned on heavily in the passing game.

• Smile
Reactions: Neo
I heard or read "mild" acl tear, what the heck does that mean? (sorry I don't have a link)
His season is over... He'll be rehabbing and will be a risk again next year. Depending on how severe and quick he heals, he may or may not be ready for the opening of 2014. I would suspect he won't be.

Personally I have to avoid him as much as I love him.

I can't imagine that he won't recover from the ACL before meaningful games in September but I agree with you in that I will likely avoid him going forward. Knee injuries on big men=big problems.

I can't imagine that he won't recover from the ACL before meaningful games in September but I agree with you in that I will likely avoid him going forward. Knee injuries on big men=big problems.
yeap, it'll be the same thing all over again. Pretty much replay this whole thread again and again.

There will be those that justify avoiding him and then there will be those that justify taking him; there'll be name calling and shouting. Gronk will be a ? all summer long, comeback have a couple of good games and then something else will go wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeap, it'll be the same thing all over again. Pretty much replay this whole thread again and again.

There will be those that justify avoiding him and then there will be those that justify taking him; there'll be name calling and shouting. Gronk will be a ? all summer long, comeback have a couple of good games and then something else will go wrong.
:goodposting:

exactly why I'll be avoiding him

:goodposting:

exactly why I'll be avoiding him
Yeah, its going to be real hard picking him ever again. The talent is there but you'll be holding your breath ever game.

Man. I rolled the dice on this guy and have paid for it almost the whole season. Now this in the playoffs. He just can't stay healthy. Can't be counted on going forward. Now I gotta hope Antonio Gates somehow can find the end zone each of the next two weeks.

I'm not sure what a broken arm and a back injury have to do with a torn ACL.

Players get hit on the knee, they tear their ACLs. That's an occupational hazard in the NFL. It could have happened to Calvin Johnson or Josh Gordon or Jimmy Graham or anyone else just as easily as Gronk, and it would have said exactly as much about their ability to stay healthy going forward.

Players get hit on the knee, they tear their ACLs. That's an occupational hazard in the NFL. It could have happened to Calvin Johnson or Josh Gordon or Jimmy Graham or anyone else just as easily as Gronk, and it would have said exactly as much about their ability to stay healthy going forward.
Maybe Gronkowski takes an inordinate amount of punishment because of his value to the team? Does Graham or Gates or Thomas or Gonzo not get the wear and tear because they aren't asked to carry the load as much as RK? Do they get different kinds of targets? Does he block more than them and therefore get whacked around in the OL wash more than others? Does the fact that he catches as many passes as a WR but gets tackled by LBs instead of DBs have anything to do with what seems like a tendency to get hurt more than others?

I think it's been said before that to be the greatest, or even one of the greatest, you have to be lucky enough to stay healthy for all or most of your career. Whether he deserves the "injury-prone" label or not, it is becoming apparent that Gronk is simply not lucky in that regard.

Maybe Gronkowski takes an inordinate amount of punishment because of his value to the team? Does Graham or Gates or Thomas or Gonzo not get the wear and tear because they aren't asked to carry the load as much as RK? Do they get different kinds of targets? Does he block more than them and therefore get whacked around in the OL wash more than others? Does the fact that he catches as many passes as a WR but gets tackled by LBs instead of DBs have anything to do with what seems like a tendency to get hurt more than others?
Rob Gronkowski didn't get injured because he takes an insane amount of punishment. He got injured because he took a helmet to the knee. Anyone with the football in his hands is at risk for taking a helmet to the knee every time he has the football in his hands. No human body is built to stand up to a direct hit to the knee from a helmet worn by an onrushing defensive player. You can get helmets to the knee just as easily from DBs as LBs (actually, no data to support this, but I bet you'd be more likely to get a helmet to the knee from a DB, while an LB would be more likely to execute a textbook wrap-up tackle).

Again, this injury has no predictive power going forward. Rob Gronkowski was the recipient of a hit that would have torn the ACL of anyone unfortunate enough to have been the recipient of that hit. If you want to argue that his previous injuries are indicative of his usage (broken arm) or the result of extra wear and tear (bad back), I'm more receptive. I don't know that I agree, but I can at least see the point. This one was just dumb luck, and could have easily happened to anyone unfortunate enough to have found himself in the path of that hit.

Here's the play for those who haven't seen it.

Thats true but the NFL bears some responsibility for some of this- the rules and fines they've dropped on defensive players have heavily incentivized them to tackle low. That used to be considered dirty and even if it wasnt illegal there was something of a gentleman's agreement to avoid hitting a guy around the knees if possible. The 50k dollar fines start adding up because your head is connected to your shoulders and when you tackle someone that is lowering their head there is a good chance those two objects are going to meet each other. So guys go lower now. That isn't to say Gronks injury couldnt or wouldnt have happened anyway- helmets hit knees no matter what the rules say, but I dont think theres any doubt we are overall going to see more leg injuries with the rules the way they are.

Thats true but the NFL bears some responsibility for some of this- the rules and fines they've dropped on defensive players have heavily incentivized them to tackle low. That used to be considered dirty and even if it wasnt illegal there was something of a gentleman's agreement to avoid hitting a guy around the knees if possible. The 50k dollar fines start adding up because your head is connected to your shoulders and when you tackle someone that is lowering their head there is a good chance those two objects are going to meet each other. So guys go lower now. That isn't to say Gronks injury couldnt or wouldnt have happened anyway- helmets hit knees no matter what the rules say, but I dont think theres any doubt we are overall going to see more leg injuries with the rules the way they are.
It intuitively seems like this is true, but I'd need to see some actual hard data backing it up before I buy into it. Guys have torn ACLs on low hits in past seasons, too. Someone on Twitter (perhaps Aaron Schatz) tweeted that Gronk is just the second player this year to tear ligaments on a low hit. I'm curious if that's accurate. I'm curious how the rate of knee and lower leg injuries compares to years past.

Its a shame people think thats a good tackle.

He goes low, while Gronk is engaged high with the other defender, he doesn't even look where he is tackling, he simply throws himself at the lower legs, turning his head, and making no attempt to wrap up the legs.

Launching at a player with no attempt to wrap-up, should be outlawed imo.

He goes low, while Gronk is engaged high with the other defender, he doesn't even look where he is tackling, he simply throws himself at the lower legs, turning his head, and making no attempt to wrap up the legs.

What you are suggesting is flag football.

He had the angle to run right through Gronk at waste/chest/shoulder level for a big hit. He by no means needed to go low on that hit.

To summarize, it's football, not croquet or water polo. Plays occur at lightning fast speeds and unfortunately sometimes injuries happen. I don't really think players intend to hurt other players. Defenders also have to consider themselves and their livelihood, too. If Gronk is barreling down on them like an out of control freight train, they are going to alter their strategy and tackling techniques to bring him down and not get themselves hurt.

That's part of the reason Gronk has been so valuable. Defenders normally struggle to bring him down. You can't really complain about getting hurt by players doing what they can to bring a player down when Gronk was doing what made him so successful . . . being really hard to tackle.

Had the same play gone a different way, with the defense not being able to get him down and ending in a TD, people would be claiming the defense was horrible, couldn't tackle, and were a bunch of sissies. I've seen Gronk shed tacklers and then ramble for big yardage and/or TDs. Taking his legs out is a pretty decent strategy. Granted, the hit ended up being an ugly one, but as others have said, short of football becoming two hand touch or flag football, not sure what can be done about the injury factor.

Someone on Twitter (perhaps Aaron Schatz) tweeted that Gronk is just the second player this year to tear ligaments on a low hit. I'm curious if that's accurate. I'm curious how the rate of knee and lower leg injuries compares to years past.
Jonathan Stewart would be #3 if that tweet was accurate.

Looks to me that if Gronk jumped he could of hurdled right over him or atleast avoided the shot to the knee. A little blame has to go on the Gronk for not trying to avoid it thinking hes he could just stream roll everyone.

I realize there is a reason he is siiting on his sofa right now....but if I'm the Pats I would bring Scheffler in for a look.....he has been a pretty solid pass catching TE and I could see him fitting in on that offense....

I realize there is a reason he is siiting on his sofa right now....but if I'm the Pats I would bring Scheffler in for a look.....he has been a pretty solid pass catching TE and I could see him fitting in on that offense....
They signed DJ Williams, who has some good receiving skills. That may not cut it since BB expects all players to be competent blockers too.

KellysHeroes said:
Sinn Fein said:
Adam Harstad said:

Looks to me that if Gronk jumped he could of hurdled right over him or atleast avoided the shot to the knee. A little blame has to go on the Gronk for not trying to avoid it thinking hes he could just stream roll everyone.
On the net, attempting to hurdle defenders is not going to decrease your chance for injury. In fact, I'd wager quite the opposite.

In this one instance it would have helped, but there are countless other instances where attempting to jump over an oncoming defender is an even worse injury waiting to happen. An injury like this one, which proved to be more of a career-ender than any ACL tear.

The point is at the speed of the game in the NFL when you make the decision where to hit its a split second deal. Sure you could decide to form tackle gronk at his waist but once youre commited you havevno control over the runner lowering his helmet and causing the collision you will likely end up flagged and fined for. Its all so easy in slow motion.

fantasycurse42 said:
Bamac said:
Adam Harstad said:
Someone on Twitter (perhaps Aaron Schatz) tweeted that Gronk is just the second player this year to tear ligaments on a low hit. I'm curious if that's accurate. I'm curious how the rate of knee and lower leg injuries compares to years past.
Jonathan Stewart would be #3 if that tweet was accurate.
Guessing they aren't countng the low block by J Charles on Cushing as a hit.
Mike & Mike this am threw out a stat that acl tears are on the rise. I believe the stat was 42 in 2013 as compared to 25 last year.

Not sure if everyone gets this - but on CBS they are kicking me in the balls - took away Gronks points for this week even though he had 2 catches. Thank you CBS - might as well rip my heart out.

On the net, attempting to hurdle defenders is not going to decrease your chance for injury. In fact, I'd wager quite the opposite.

In this one instance it would have helped, but there are countless other instances where attempting to jump over an oncoming defender is an even worse injury waiting to happen. An injury like this one, which proved to be more of a career-ender than any ACL tear.
point is Gronk wasn't defenseless anymore as he secured the ball and began to run, he didn't even brace for impact as the defender was charging at him. Some of this goes on Gronk's playing style of just running everybody down.

point is Gronk wasn't defenseless anymore as he secured the ball and began to run, he didn't even brace for impact as the defender was charging at him. Some of this goes on Gronk's playing style of just running everybody down.
I'm not sure what he could have done there. Bracing wouldn't have helped, because if his foot had been planted, the damage only would have been worse. There was a defender on his back, so he didn't really have the option to cut or try to avoid. And I've already mentioned that hurdling defenders is typically a bad idea, continued-health-wise. Sometimes collisions are just unavoidable. Sometimes injuries are just going to happen.

It's not like Gronk has a history of taking bad hits, anyway. He broke his arm blocking, and he's had back issues since college, but this is the first time, to my knowledge, that he's gotten injured getting tackled.

Rotoworld:

Rob Gronkowski (torn ACL, injured reserve) will undergo surgery in "about two weeks," and is tentatively expected to be ready for the start of the 2014 season.

Specifically, Gronk has "been told he should be ready for start of 2014 season." In reality, it's far too early to assess Gronk's odds of being ready for Week 1, but it's good news that the early reports are positive. We're unlikely to get a real bead on Gronk's progress before May or June.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Rob Gronkowski (torn ACL, injured reserve) will undergo surgery in "about two weeks," and is tentatively expected to be ready for the start of the 2014 season.

Specifically, Gronk has "been told he should be ready for start of 2014 season." In reality, it's far too early to assess Gronk's odds of being ready for Week 1, but it's good news that the early reports are positive. We're unlikely to get a real bead on Gronk's progress before May or June.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter
Week 1, week 4, week 10 - same difference.

Users who are viewing this thread