What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (2 Viewers)

No, I'm not implying that. But each of the previous 2 game he had 6 targets each. Still pretty low. All the talk about snap counts though,to me, is irrelevant. Need targets to get points.
Snap counts refer to his health. Pretty important for a guy who blew up his knee less than a year ago. Health leads to improving and getting back in shape. That leads to Gronk being Gronk, which leads to targets, which leads to catches, and points.

No, I'm not implying that. But each of the previous 2 game he had 6 targets each. Still pretty low. All the talk about snap counts though,to me, is irrelevant. Need targets to get points.
Technically, he needs receptions to get points. The more he's on the field, the more he'll have a chance to score you fantasy points.
When he is on the field he needs to do what he used to do to get receptions... he is a gimp right now. I'm not sure we see anything more than we are seeing.

Snap counts refer to his health. Pretty important for a guy who blew up his knee less than a year ago. Health leads to improving and getting back in shape. That leads to Gronk being Gronk, which leads to targets, which leads to catches, and points.
Thank you for clearing that up ;)

And yes, I'm sure it will improve eventually but pointing out his snap increases is nice but its being accompanied by a steady decline in targets. Whether that's on him, Brady, the O-line or Belicheck, the fact remains his targets have steadily decreased. I'll feel better when they increase. A lot. An increase will make me feel better that he's becoming more involved in the game plan.

Technically, he needs receptions to get points. The more he's on the field, the more he'll have a chance to score you fantasy points.
When he is on the field he needs to do what he used to do to get receptions... he is a gimp right now. I'm not sure we see anything more than we are seeing.
??? So a guy less than a year removed from a blown up knee has peaked?? yikes

And yes, I'm sure it will improve eventually but pointing out his snap increases is nice but its being accompanied by a steady decline in targets. Whether that's on him, Brady, the O-line or Belicheck, the fact remains his targets have steadily decreased. I'll feel better when they increase. A lot. An increase will make me feel better that he's becoming more involved in the game plan.
and like I said, more snaps means he is getting back into shape. Once that happens, expect those targets and catches to go up. Half those plays out there he is probably gassed.

He's not as explosive--which I expect to come with time--but he's still a major mismatch. I don't see a sloth, gimp, or any of the like, personally.

He's not as explosive--which I expect to come with time--but he's still a major mismatch. I don't see a sloth, gimp, or any of the like, personally.
Right, I see a slightly less explosive guy who isnt in good shape................yet

If anyone EXPECTED Gronk to be Gronk right away, you arent very good at gauging injuries.

and like I said, more snaps means he is getting back into shape. Once that happens, expect those targets and catches to go up. Half those plays out there he is probably gassed.
Is it more snaps, or a higher % of snaps?

"Let's start with 38 snaps and a lot of targets. Then 28 snaps; fewer targets. Week 3, lets get him up to 42 snaps, but keep the targets steady. Week four--and this one is important!--we'll get him 31 snaps and 3 targets--one in garbage time by the backup QB. Trust me on this one."

By my math, he's likely to get a random number of snaps next week. That, or 65%+ of the team's offensive plays.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was targeted in the red zone with Garoppolo under center in the 4th with the game far out of reach. There's no way Gronk is in that game if he isn't near 100%. Did some of you not catch his TD catch and run where he barreled through three defenders in true Gronk fashion? He's fine, Brady is just ####### brutal right now.

As for snap count vs. snap percentage, I believe they prepare to get Gronk involved in a very specific way each week in practice as they look to increase his offensive involvement. If the total plays aren't there, the actual snaps won't be either. Percentage is the key indicator here, it always has been.
Are you talking about his knee, or overall? There's no way he's near 100% overall.

I agree that they prepare to get him involved in a specific way, and if those opportunities do not present themselves as much as planned, that will limit his snaps. However, if he was 100% as you say, they wouldn't be limiting his snaps in the first place.

Percentage plays a part, but so does the total. I would prefer to see him playing 45 out of 70 snaps than 30 out of 45 even though it's a lower percentage, and I would prefer to see his snaps played increase each week instead of just the percentage.

NE had only 23 pass attempts last night. The whole NE offense sucked. That is in part why there was only 3 targets. I am more concerned about the NE offense than I am about Gronk's health.

He was targeted in the red zone with Garoppolo under center in the 4th with the game far out of reach. There's no way Gronk is in that game if he isn't near 100%. Did some of you not catch his TD catch and run where he barreled through three defenders in true Gronk fashion? He's fine, Brady is just ####### brutal right now.

As for snap count vs. snap percentage, I believe they prepare to get Gronk involved in a very specific way each week in practice as they look to increase his offensive involvement. If the total plays aren't there, the actual snaps won't be either. Percentage is the key indicator here, it always has been.
exactly, and he is in on almost all passing plays. who cares if he is on the bench rather than block for run plays or screens or whatever where he clearly wont be passed the ball? it doesnt hurt his value at all.

I would say more snaps would be more important than snap % for Gronk right now.

Cause you know darn well when he is back to being in tip top shape he will be out there a very very high percentage of the snaps.
Then we agree, but others do not.
Dude, are you serious? NE ran less than 50 plays last night. What do you want them to do, put him on defense, have him cover kicks? He's recovering from a major injury, so they are managing his playing time; I doubt they planned on being as inept as they were last night, s they weren't going to play him evey snap of the first half then sit him in the second half. Since they had fewer plays to get him of the field for, the fact that his snap % went p is a good sign. You either realize this and are being deliberately obtuse, or just don't understand common sense.

Are you talking about his knee, or overall? There's no way he's near 100% overall.

I agree that they prepare to get him involved in a specific way, and if those opportunities do not present themselves as much as planned, that will limit his snaps. However, if he was 100% as you say, they wouldn't be limiting his snaps in the first place.

Percentage plays a part, but so does the total. I would prefer to see him playing 45 out of 70 snaps than 30 out of 45 even though it's a lower percentage, and I would prefer to see his snaps played increase each week instead of just the percentage.
My guess is they sort of us a percentage because they have no idea how many plays they will end up running.

Cause you know darn well when he is back to being in tip top shape he will be out there a very very high percentage of the snaps.
Dude, are you serious? NE ran less than 50 plays last night. What do you want them to do, put him on defense, have him cover kicks? He's recovering from a major injury, so they are managing his playing time; I doubt they planned on being as inept as they were last night, s they weren't going to play him evey snap of the first half then sit him in the second half. Since they had fewer plays to get him of the field for, the fact that his snap % went p is a good sign. You either realize this and are being deliberately obtuse, or just don't understand common sense.
The number of snaps he gets to me is the most important thing.

Problem is, the team isnt gonna play him 90% of the snaps in case they end up running a ton of plays and he isnt ready for that.

They may also not want to have him out there more than a few plays in a row.

The team cant predict how many offensive plays they will have. We are all arguing the same thing here, just in different ways.

It's possible that he would function just fine on a full compliment of snaps but it makes more sense to ease him as it reduces propensity for re-injury. Still, you'll need to explain to me why Gronk was in with Garoppolo under center down 41-7 in the 4th if he isn't close to being a full go. I'll also continue to contend, regardless of what you'd like to see, that snap percentage is a much better indicator of how they plan to use him going forward than the raw snap count. Percentage tells us exactly how much they want to use him on offense, the actual numbers means nothing. It's like trusting variance over standard deviation, it's forgoes context.

Yeah, look at this ####### gimp bring three defenders with him into the end zone. It's amazing he was able to get any push with his bum knee, he's probably only using one leg right. Let's be honest, even if you're half right, it's not like Gronk relies on his ability to cut to get open. He's 6''6, all he has to do is run forward down the seem.

:lmao:

It's possible that he would function just fine on a full compliment of snaps but it makes more sense to ease him as it reduces propensity for re-injury. Still, you'll need to explain to me why Gronk was in with Garoppolo under center down 41-7 in the 4th if he isn't close to being a full go. I'll also continue to contend, regardless of what you'd like to see, that snap percentage is a much better indicator of how they plan to use him going forward than the raw snap count. Percentage tells us exactly how much they want to use him on offense, the actual numbers means nothing. It's like trusting variance over standard deviation, it's forgoes context.
If Gronk was at or near 100%, he would be in for nearly 100% of the snaps, just like he was when healthy. That's not really in question, is it?

Perhaps the reason he was in late in a blowout game was because he played so few snaps earlier and they wanted to get him more work. Makes a lot more sense than thinking he's near 100% but playing a lot less than normal, no?

I'm not questioning how much they want to use him on offense- I'm assuming they want to use him ~95% of the time, just like they used to. I'm questioning his physical progress from week 1 to week 4, and I think the actual number absolutely means something. :shrug:

I'm questioning his physical progress from week 1 to week 4, and I think the actual number absolutely means something. :shrug:
I'm not sure what you want. All they can do is play him a rising percentage of the snaps and assume that over time that will amount to him playing a rising total number of snaps.

It's not like they're going to put him on a snap count and risk having to sit him through the entire 4th quarter of a close game because they used all his snaps early on.

He was in the game at the end of both their blowout losses which is encouraging to me. They seem to have a plan for increasing his snap count and game circumstances don't seem to matter. They clearly could have rested him in those scenarios if there was any lingering doubt about his recovery.
I agree. It is impossible not to notice that and seems pretty significant IMO

I mean...he was out there after they pulled Brady for the night. That speaks volumes.

I'm questioning his physical progress from week 1 to week 4, and I think the actual number absolutely means something. :shrug:
I'm not sure what you want. All they can do is play him a rising percentage of the snaps and assume that over time that will amount to him playing a rising total number of snaps.

It's not like they're going to put him on a snap count and risk having to sit him through the entire 4th quarter of a close game because they used all his snaps early on.
No, they can have him on a snap count, and adjust the percentage as the game situation dictates. I know some of you think this is some kind of off the wall idea, but it's much more likely that they have a target number of plays in mind than a target percentage of their plays.

At what point do you think it became obvious that they weren't going to run 75+ offensive plays last night? They ran 7 plays in the 1st quarter, 23 in the first half- I don't think there was much of a risk of having him sit out that all important 4th quarter last night.

IMO we want a higher number of total snaps (more chances to score fantasy points obviously), but if we are trying to project his future utilization/progress the percentage of snaps is more useful - just snaps alone is only part of the picture if you want to compare vs previous weeks.

I'm questioning his physical progress from week 1 to week 4
This. I haven't seen any improvement. Obviously he can do some damage in his limited state (versus healthy), and on limited play... but I am not seeing anything better last week than week one.

Didn't he get injured on special teams a few years back? Belichick would just say "we have the best players playing."

I'm questioning his physical progress from week 1 to week 4
This. I haven't seen any improvement. Obviously he can do some damage in his limited state (versus healthy), and on limited play... but I am not seeing anything better last week than week one.
Agreed. He is not running as fast as he used to and clearly has lost speed, at least for now. Its understandable, just disappointing to watch him look ordinary right now.

He's what, 9 months from the injury. it's somewhat remarkable he's playing at all.
this.................and I have no doubt he will get back to his old Gronkishness.

Maybe not stat-wise, since the Pats just arent as good as they were a couple years back

Gotta be true since there's a link to it.
It's not the link that makes it true. It's the numbers. If we remove injured players from our sample, from 2010 to 2012 the correlation between fantasy points in games 1-4 and fantasy points in games 5-16 is 0.471. The correlation between preseason ADP and fantasy points in games 5-16 is 0.578. Of the 95 players I looked at in 2012, 59 had a ranking from games 5-16 that was closer to their preseason ADP than it was to their ranking from games 1-4. That's a 62% hit rate.
I know this is off topic some but the FBG top 200 going forward runs very much counter to this concept. As Gronk is ranked as the 7th TE in PPR behind Delanie Walker, who in many leagues was probably not drafted.

It's not the link that makes it true. It's the numbers. If we remove injured players from our sample, from 2010 to 2012 the correlation between fantasy points in games 1-4 and fantasy points in games 5-16 is 0.471. The correlation between preseason ADP and fantasy points in games 5-16 is 0.578. Of the 95 players I looked at in 2012, 59 had a ranking from games 5-16 that was closer to their preseason ADP than it was to their ranking from games 1-4. That's a 62% hit rate.
I know this is off topic some but the FBG top 200 going forward runs very much counter to this concept. As Gronk is ranked as the 7th TE in PPR behind Delanie Walker, who in many leagues was probably not drafted.
I don't think an n=1 projection does much to disprove anything

I don't think an n=1 projection does much to disprove anything
The top 200 is HIGHLY reactionary to the prior week's stats.

Facts.....

1. He doesn't look good (insert any metric you want to, the only thing he has going for him atm is that he's big)

2. He isn't explosive or dynamic as he was previously. He's not "making" plays happen, he's just hoping he's targeted and ball placement is on point.

3. There are no viable threat options to spread out the field to keep defenders from climbing on him like he was a one of the Kardashian girls....

4. Brady has lost a step and can't make the throws consistently (sorry, it's true)

5 He's a "must start" by his history only, He really shouldn't be on the field at all, but Hoodie has no other options.

6. Chicks dig my avatar, and they can't resist my "magic rabbit"....

Facts.....

1. He doesn't look good (insert any metric you want to, the only thing he has going for him atm is that he's big)

2. He isn't explosive or dynamic as he was previously. He's not "making" plays happen, he's just hoping he's targeted and ball placement is on point.

3. There are no viable threat options to spread out the field to keep defenders from climbing on him like he was a one of the Kardashian girls....

4. Brady has lost a step and can't make the throws consistently (sorry, it's true)

5 He's a "must start" by his history only, He really shouldn't be on the field at all, but Hoodie has no other options.

Yes and no.

He still has 3 TD's in 4 games this season, despite all of that, and given his history and the injury recovery there is no good reason to believe that won't continue.

Facts.....

He is still a must start. I don't have an issue with his performance on it's own. It only hurts depending on how high you took him (2nd round for me).

O-Line play has been abysmal league-wide, but I don't see Hoodie finding a solution for that travesty that he's putting in front of Brady this year.

W/O that extra time in the pocket, Brady's production is going to still be in the cellars and I don't want to count on garbage time or weak D's for Gronk's production.

O-Line play has been abysmal league-wide, but I don't see Hoodie finding a solution for that travesty that he's putting in front of Brady this year.

W/O that extra time in the pocket, Brady's production is going to still be in the cellars and I don't want to count on garbage time or weak D's for Gronk's production.
I agree with many of your concerns, but am less pessimistic on the likely outcome. The offense doesn't need to be top 10-15 for Gronk to be a top 2-3 TE, IMO. He simply needs his 6 targets/game to increase to 8+. He needs his 4/40/1 games to turn into 6/65/1 games. The TDs will be there--10 feels conservative enough. If and when the Donnells, Bennetts, Kelces, and Walkers come back down to earth--Cooks and Cameron did last year--those TDs will create separation.

Rob Gronkowski (knee) is practicing in full for Week 5.
It's the first time Gronkowski hasn't been listed as limited all season. Gronk played 31-of-50 snaps (62 percent) in Monday night's loss. The fact that the Patriots are no longer limiting him in practice suggests he's close to returning to an every-down role.

Users who are viewing this thread