What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (9 Viewers)

Lets talk about Gronk without Hernandez, as a hypothetical. When Gronk comes back 100%, if there's no Hernandez is that good, or bad for him?

I say it's good for him, because they get fairly equal looks in the red-zone (surprisingly) and even more of those should go to Gronk.

Regular season games with Gronk and Hernandez and games without no Hernandez:

WITH:

34 games, 6.3 targets, 4.1 receptions, 56.6 yards, 13.7 ypr, 0.8 TD, 10.6 fantasy ppg

WITHOUT:

9 games, 7.7 targets, 5.1 receptions, 82.1 yards, 16.1 ypr, 1.2 TD, 15.4 fantasy ppg

Regular season games with Gronk and Hernandez and games without no Hernandez:

WITH:

34 games, 6.3 targets, 4.1 receptions, 56.6 yards, 13.7 ypr, 0.8 TD, 10.6 fantasy ppg

WITHOUT:

9 games, 7.7 targets, 5.1 receptions, 82.1 yards, 16.1 ypr, 1.2 TD, 15.4 fantasy ppg
Wow. Didn't realize it was that dramatic. Good stuff.

I would rather take out all the numbers from their rookie season if possible and just look at the last two.

Gronks overall averages could be lower due to his rookie year when hernandez played more games.

Wow, in their rookie years when hernandez missed weeks 10,16,17 gronk absolutely went off and scored a ton.

That coupled with the lower output as a rookie, I think gronks numbers the last two seasons are going to be almost identical with hernandez as without hernandez.

Ed Werder reports that Gronk is back in Foxboro and is working out, doing core work and stretching. Appears to be in good spirits and looks like he's making good progress.

(Surgery was three weeks ago.)

Ed Werder reports that Gronk is back in Foxboro and is working out, doing core work and stretching. Appears to be in good spirits and looks like he's making good progress.

why do I have this strange feeling that he's going to be out there week 1 starting?

why do I have this strange feeling that he's going to be out there week 1 starting?
Not sure I'd bet on that yet, but I'd make an even money wager that he won't start the regular season on PUP unless there's a setback, and that he'll be back before Week 7.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think the AH fiasco makes that more likely than before. Similarly, it may also mean that whatever he had done to his back really was less complicated than the procedure he had done in 2009. At that time, it sounded like they were concerned about him doing much at all. Who knows. Maybe science advanced in the past few years and the recovery time is less than it was back then.

Where are those guys saying he would be basically bed-ridden and atrophying for 8-12 weeks before doing anything?

This dude's playing week one. Freak athletes are making these timetables shorter and shorter, and medicine continues to advance.

Where are those guys saying he would be basically bed-ridden and atrophying for 8-12 weeks before doing anything?

This dude's playing week one. Freak athletes are making these timetables shorter and shorter, and medicine continues to advance.
he's a machine...in Gronk we trust!

Gronkowski making progress after back surgery

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 9, 2013, 5:08 PM EDT

Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski appears to be making strides toward returning from back surgery. But just how soon he’ll return to the field remains to be seen.

Gronkowski has resumed some light workouts, and Ed Werder of ESPN reported that people who have been working with Gronkowski describe him as being in good spirits, looking good and making significant progress.

That does not mean, however, that Gronkowski will progress well enough to play when the Patriots open the season on September 8. It’s simply too soon to say whether Gronkowski can play in Week One, and Gronkowski’s history has to be a concern: His previous back surgery, in September of 2009 when he was in college at Arizona, cost him his entire senior season.

But for a Patriots team that has lost four of last year’s top five receivers — Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Aaron Hernandez and Danny Woodhead — any sign of progress on the one receiving threat who’s still on the roster has to be viewed as good news.

not sure if people claimed he been bed-ridden, just stated that he won't be able to prepare for the NFL season like a football player. Pretty much hes going from rehab from back surgery right into NFL game.

not sure if people claimed he been bed-ridden, just stated that he won't be able to prepare for the NFL season like a football player. Pretty much hes going from rehab from back surgery right into NFL game.
He's working out, however much, at the team facility three weeks after his surgery. No one expected that.

ConnSKINS26 said:
KellysHeroes said:
ConnSKINS26 said:

He's working out, however much, at the team facility three weeks after his surgery. No one expected that.
Is he really working out or doing rehab? Because when u say working out I'm picturing bench press, deadlift, squats, cleans, etc.... is that what he doing right now?

ConnSKINS26 said:
KellysHeroes said:
ConnSKINS26 said:

Is he really working out or doing rehab? Because when u say working out I'm picturing bench press, deadlift, squats, cleans, etc.... is that what he doing right now?
That's your arbitrary definition, but here's what the article said:

Faust said:
Gronkowski making progress after back surgery

Gronkowski has resumed some light workouts, and Ed Werder of ESPN reported that people who have been working with Gronkowski describe him as being in good spirits, looking good and making significant progress.

Petty response to follow...if Gronk misses games will the Pats play with 10 on the PATs? I mean, let's not forget why he's where he is now. He was injured on an extra point in a blowout!

I know people will say that the Pats play their players no matter what, but maybe this will give the jerk (Belichick) a wakeup call and pull his studs when the game is out of reach.

/rant

Honestly, the arm isn't a concern anymore. That's the injury that was caused originally by the PAT.

The back is separate. No reason to think it has anything to do with the arm injury or the PAT stuff.

Petty response to follow...if Gronk misses games will the Pats play with 10 on the PATs? I mean, let's not forget why he's where he is now. He was injured on an extra point in a blowout!

I know people will say that the Pats play their players no matter what, but maybe this will give the jerk (Belichick) a wakeup call and pull his studs when the game is out of reach.

/rant
I own him too and am the farthest thing from a BB supporter but every coach does that.

/rant
I own him too and am the farthest thing from a BB supporter but every coach does that.
Every coach doesn't run up the score. I disagree.

IIRC, Gronk was hurt while attempting to put the 52nd point on the board while up 51-24. I'm pretty sure any other player could have stood on the end of the line in place of him.

/rant

IIRC, Gronk was hurt while attempting to put the 52nd point on the board while up 51-24. I'm pretty sure any other player could have stood on the end of the line in place of him.
It's been discussed on hear several times. Teams don't have backups for PATs. Every team in the NFL plays their starters for PATs. And before you go calling me a homer, I'm a Bear fan.

/rant

It's been discussed on hear several times. Teams don't have backups for PATs. Every team in the NFL plays their starters for PATs. And before you go calling me a homer, I'm a Bear fan.
That's my point, since they don't have a backup for RG, if he misses time will they just play with 10 on PATs? :popcorn:

Interesting how news of his rehab is getting reported. Just heard on WEEI that Gronk has returned to Foxboro and has begun doing "some light rehab work" and that his status for the season is still up in the air. They did not elaborate what "some light rehab work" means.

i rehabbed a light that i got from a friend he said he was redoing his basement and he did not need it and i took it and ran new wiring into it and then put a dimmer switch at the base and it turned out pretty nice maybe that is what gronk is up to brohans

Interesting how news of his rehab is getting reported. Just heard on WEEI that Gronk has returned to Foxboro and has begun doing "some light rehab work" and that his status for the season is still up in the air. They did not elaborate what "some light rehab work" means.
Mentioned in my last post above that Werder said something about "stretching and core work". He's obviously not doing squats and dead lifts 21 days after back surgery.

/rant

You're right. Every coach doesn't run up the score. No coach does. That's probably because there's no such thing as "running up the score" in professional sports.

Video clip in the linked article:

Rob Gronkowski rehabs in Foxboro

By Ed Werder | ESPN

Updated: July 10, 2013, 2:42 PM ET

Tight end Rob Gronkowski, who is recovering from back surgery, has returned to the New England Patriots' facility in Foxborough, Mass., where he is doing his rehab work under the guidance of the team's trainers.

Gronkowski is concentrating mainly on stretching and improving his core strength.

A person who has seen Gronkowski at the facility tells ESPN that Gronkowski looks good and seems to be progressing, but nobody yet knows whether he'll be ready for the Patriots' opener against the Buffalo Bills.

Gronkowski had the surgery on his back last month and Dr. Robert Watkins, who performed the procedure, said the "timing of his return to football will depend on his progression through the rehabilitation program."

He also had a fourth surgery on his left forearm in May, where doctors put new plates in to repair the previous break.

He is expected to open training camp on the physically unable to perform list, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter last month.

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter was used in this report.

/rant
Every coach doesn't run up the score. I disagree.IIRC, Gronk was hurt while attempting to put the 52nd point on the board while up 51-24. I'm pretty sure any other player could have stood on

the end of the line in place of him.
You're right. Every coach doesn't run up the

score. No coach does. That's probably because there's no such thing as "running up the score" in professional sports.
You're such a good disciple.

/rant
I own him too and am the farthest thing from aBB supporter but every coach does that.
Every coach doesn't run up the score. I disagree.IIRC, Gronk was hurt while attempting to put the 52nd point on the board while up 51-24. I'm pretty sure any other player could have stood on

the end of the line in place of him.
You're right. Every coach doesn't run up the

score. No coach does. That's probably because there's no such thing as "running up the score" in professional sports.
You're such a good disciple.
Thanks. At least I don't believe silly little things like "Running up the score" and that Gronk shouldn't have been in the game for an extra point. Then I'd be an idiot.

KellysHeroes said:
ConnSKINS26 said:

No, lotta people said he would be totally bedridden for like 10-12 weeks, do some light workouts, and then not be ready till week 7 or 8 after being on PUP.

I was telling people on here that after his surgery he would be able to resume light duty very shortly after (as in several days after) and people thought I was insane.

I didnt think he would be playing week 1 (still don't), but I also don't think he will end up on PUP. I figured he would be on PUP as somewhat of a precaution, but that was also when AH wasn't on trial for murder.

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Albert Breer reports Rob Gronkowski has not yet resumed running.
According to Breer, the standard time table to resume running after back surgery is one month. Gronk's surgery was June 19, putting him roughly a week away from the earliest he'd be cleared. His arm and back are feeling better, but it'll be weeks before we have anything definitive regarding his return to the field.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

Gronk did a book signing today next to my office. If he can sign books, he can play football. All the doubters can start eating their crow.

He needs a team of guards to keep him on a couch watching movies for at least 2 weeks! Stay out of the gym!
Nope. The more rehab you do and the sooner you do it the quicker you are able to recover and get back to normal from a microdiscectomy.

REHAB, not squats, deadlifts, and gronkslams

Why is everyone so focused on when Gronk returns? I'm more concerned that he stays healthy once he is back, whether that is Week 1, 2, 3, etc. doesn't mean that much. I get the fantasy impact but if you have Gronk on your team you want him healthy and productive for the stretch run and playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread