What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (1 Viewer)

Why is everyone so focused on when Gronk returns? I'm more concerned that he stays healthy once he is back, whether that is Week 1, 2, 3, etc. doesn't mean that much. I get the

fantasy impact but if you have Gronk on your team you want him healthy and productive for the stretch run and playoffs.
It depends on your league type. If you're in redraft, it's pretty important when he returns as to where you draft him. If he misses 2 weeks, you may not even have to worry about the playoffs.

People don't want to overdraft him relative to return time.

Why is everyone so focused on when Gronk returns? I'm more concerned that he stays healthy once he is back, whether that is Week 1, 2, 3, etc. doesn't mean that much. I get the fantasy impact but if you have Gronk on your team you want him healthy and productive for the stretch run and playoffs.
Even if he isn't completely healthy, if he's playing he's the best red zone target in the NFL.

Why is everyone so focused on when Gronk returns? I'm more concerned that he stays healthy once he is back, whether that is Week 1, 2, 3, etc. doesn't mean that much. I get the fantasy impact but if you have Gronk on your team you want him healthy and productive for the stretch run and playoffs.
i think if you draft a decent backup to cover the beginning of the season he still has quite a bit of value.

Gronk will open camp on PUP list

By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

Excerpts:

The New England Patriots on Tuesday placed tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Jake Ballard and receiver Julian Edelman on the active/physically unable to perform list, meaning they are not yet cleared to practice once training camp begins later this week.

They can be removed from the list at any point, but the designations provide some early context as to where they stand in their recoveries from surgery.

Gronkowski's status is no surprise. The bigger question remains if he will be ready for the season opener Sept. 8 at Buffalo after undergoing four surgeries on his left forearm this year and a back surgery June 18.

Ballard had ACL and microfracture surgery in February of 2012 and was a limited participant in spring camps. He is a top candidate to serve as a backup to Gronkowski.
There is a difference between the active/PUP list for training camp and the reserve/PUP list during the regular season. A player on the active/PUP can be removed at any time, while a player on the reserve/PUP list is required to miss at least the first six weeks of the season.

The Patriots will hold their first practice of training camp Friday.

Rob Gronkowski (back surgery) has only attended training camp practices in street clothes, and the Boston Globe's Ben Volin says the "likeliest course of action" will be for the Patriots to keep him on reserve/PUP.
Reserve/PUP would cost him the season's first six games. Active/PUP players usually dress out so they can rehab. Gronk's attire proves he's not even at that stage yet. We have to follow clues like this because both the Pats and Gronk are refusing to discuss his progress until he is activated. Volin allows a pre-Week 1 activation of Gronkowski is "possible," but staying on reserve/PUP for six weeks is "more likely." In the "most likely" scenario, the Patriots could theoretically get Gronk back at or near 100 percent by midseason and have him fully integrated into the offense for a playoff push.

If he starts the season on PUP, that's a large chunk of the fantasy season before he has any value. At best he'd be back Week 7, but Week 8 would be more likely. Wonder where he'll fall in drafts where we'll already know if that's the case or not.

@evansilva: Per Adam Schefter, "buzz is positive" on Rob Gronkowski's recovery. "I haven't heard too many discouraging things": http://t.co/shGnYX5BEe
Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on NFL Insiders Tuesday that the "buzz is positive" regarding Rob Gronkowski's recovery from back surgery.
"Buzz seems to be building the positive way," said Schefter. "I haven't heard too many discouraging things. ... So far the buzz is positive." Schefter went so far as to suggest Gronkowski is likely to avoid reserve/PUP to start the season, although that won't be confirmed until late in the month and/or early September. Either way, less news is good news on Gronkowski's recovery, and there haven't been any negative reports. This is only Rotoworld's second blurb on Gronkowski since he was placed on active/PUP on July 23.

I think he will certainly make it back this season and I think there's a pretty good chance he won't even start the season on the PUP list. Here's the thing that worries me about Gronk though. Will he be anything like himself if he does return? As we have all come to know and love, Gronk is a bull. Physicality is a huge part of his game. With these two injuries though, I don't see how he hasn't lost a lot of strength. Kinda tough doing dead lifts with serious back and forearm injuries. He can't be anywhere near his normal shape. I realize he's a freak, but I don't see how he could ever really be 100% this year. True a limited Gronk is still better than most TE's in the league, but can he justify his ADP?

Rob Gronkowski (back surgery) has only attended training camp practices in street clothes, and the Boston Globe's Ben Volin says the "likeliest course of action" will be for the Patriots to keep him on reserve/PUP.
Reserve/PUP would cost him the season's first six games. Active/PUP players usually dress out so they can rehab. Gronk's attire proves he's not even at that stage yet. We have to follow clues like this because both the Pats and Gronk are refusing to discuss his progress until he is activated. Volin allows a pre-Week 1 activation of Gronkowski is "possible," but staying on reserve/PUP for six weeks is "more likely." In the "most likely" scenario, the Patriots could theoretically get Gronk back at or near 100 percent by midseason and have him fully integrated into the offense for a playoff push.
This is the problem with getting injury news out of NE. There isn't any, so beat writers speculate what they think might happen, or what is likely to happen, and sites like Rotoworld report it as if it were a quote from BB.

Gronkowski isn't at the point in his rehab timetable where he should be "dressed out." So the fact that he isn't practicing isn't news. However, a beat writer speculates that because Gronkowski isn't practicing yet (when he was never supposed/expected to be) means that he is likely to start the regular season on the PUP.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Ed Werder stated on NFL Insiders Wednesday that Rob Gronkowski (back surgery) "still seems to be a ways away yet."
Werder didn't get specific about timelines, but said Gronk is still working on core strength and conditioning, indicating he remains in rehab mode. The Patriots' regular season opener is over three weeks away, giving Gronk time to take a significant step forward ahead of Week 1. The Patriots haven't let much info leak about Gronkowski's recovery, to this point. This is just his third Rotoworld blurb since Gronk's July 23 placement on active/PUP.

Aug 14 - 3:49 PM

It is "not realistic" to expect New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski, who underwent offseason back and forearm surgery, to be ready to play in the team's regular-season opener against the Bills in Buffalo, sources familiar with the situation said Monday."It's a huge stretch to think he could play against the Bills," the source said.

Despite that, another source said Gronkowski "looks great, is doing great" during his workouts at the Patriots' training facility, where he has been running and lifting.
I don't think the Week 1 thing is new, but that last bit is good to hear.

Rob Gronkowski 'doubtful' for Patriots Week 1

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

We've known since May that New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski was expected to be sidelined until late September following his latest forearm and back surgeries.

A source updated on Gronkowski's progress now confirms to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport that the tight end is "doubtful" for the season opener versus the Buffalo Bills. At this point, the forearm injury is no longer an issue. It's the microscopic lumbar discectomy procedure on his back that is still being rehabbed, according to Rapoport.

The big question now is whether Gronkowski will miss the first six games of the season on the reserve/physically unable to perform list. The good news is that Gronkowski has been running, NFL.com's Albert Breer reported Monday. The 2011 All-Pro is still regaining core strength and taking care not to rush his recovery.

Although Tom Brady struggled down the stretch last season with Gronkowski out of the lineup, he's been surgical in preseason action with undrafted rookies Kenbrell Thompkins and Zach Sudfeld taking on major roles.

The Patriots are expected to open the season with either Daniel Fells or former New York Giants tight end Jake Ballard in Gronkowski's in-line role while Sudfeld plays Aaron Hernandez's old "flex" position. Versatile tailback Shane Vereen -- featured as a "Joker" in offseason and training-camp practices -- will also be asked to pick up a good portion of the missing tight ends' slack in the passing game.

The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

Analysis: Rob Gronkowski's timetable

By Mike Reiss | ESPN.com

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- On today's ESPN "Insiders" show, Adam Schefter said it's not realistic to expect Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski to play in the regular-season opener -- Sept. 8 on the road against the Bills.

That answers one important question.

But another question lingers.

Do the Patriots place Gronkowski on the reserve/physically unable to perform list -- meaning he'd miss at least the first six weeks of the regular season but not count against the roster -- or do they keep him on the 53-man roster in the hopes he can return at some point within the first six weeks of the season?

That decision doesn't have to come until Aug. 31, which is when all NFL teams must trim rosters to 53 players. So we're just less than two weeks away from having more clarity with Gronkowski's standing on the roster.

Two things to keep in mind:

1. After opening the season against the Bills (road), Jets (home) and Buccaneers (home), the Patriots face a tough stretch in Weeks 4-6 against the Falcons (road), Bengals (road) and Saints (home). If the Patriots thought there was a realistic chance Gronkowski could be ready by the Falcons game, it makes sense to think they'd keep him on the 53-man roster.

2. In practices and preseason games, the top tight end pairing has been Jake Ballard (Gronkowski's spot) and rookie Zach Sudfeld (Aaron Hernandez's old spot). Ballard is a strong blocker, but even he acknowledged that he can't match Gronkowski in the passing game. Those two look like they have a strong grip on roster spots, with veterans Daniel Fells and Michael Hoomanawanui possibly battling for a third spot. If Gronkowski is kept on the 53-man roster, it's possible both Fells and Hoomanawanui might be affected, as there might not be room for four tight ends. Economics could also be a factor, as Fells is scheduled to earn a base salary of $1.25 million and Hoomanawanui $1.3 million. The Patriots might find those salaries rich for a No. 3-4 tight end.

From Rotoworld:

A source tells the Boston Herald that Rob Gronkowski's (back surgery) rehab is "right on schedule" for a mid-September return.

The source adds that Gronkowski is "healed and advanced to the point he would be close to playing Week 1" against the Bills. He's suffered zero setbacks, and the "realistic" time frame for Gronkowski to be back in "football shape" would be "around Week 3" versus Tampa Bay. The Patriots have been "doing their best to hold him back," and ESPN reported earlier Monday that it'd be a "huge stretch" to think Gronkowski would play in the opener. All signs point to Gronk avoiding the reserve/PUP list to start the season.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL Insiders that the Patriots are "putting out feelers" about available tight ends.
Jacob Tamme, Clay Harbor, and Tony Moeaki are just a few names that could be available. Whether the Patriots' interest in tight ends has anything to do with their expectations on Rob Gronkowski's (back surgery) recovery is impossible to say. It's also possible they're not pleased with Daniel Fells and Jake Ballard behind Zach Sudfeld. The Boston Herald reported Monday that Gronk remains "right on schedule" for a return in mid-September.

Rotoworld:

Rob Gronkowski had the same back procedure from which Jason Pierre-Paul returned on Monday.
The surgeries were also done by the same doctor, though JPP had his operation two weeks earlier than Gronk. Some people recover faster than others, but it's another potential indication Gronkowski isn't in danger of missing more than a few early-season games. We like him as a value pick in the fourth round of fantasy drafts, and wouldn't discourage anyone from taking Gronk in the third.

Source: Ben Volin on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Rob Gronkowski had the same back procedure from which Jason Pierre-Paul returned on Monday.
The surgeries were also done by the same doctor, though JPP had his operation two weeks earlier than Gronk. Some people recover faster than others, but it's another potential indication Gronkowski isn't in danger of missing more than a few early-season games. We like him as a value pick in the fourth round of fantasy drafts, and wouldn't discourage anyone from taking Gronk in the third.

True that their time table should be similar, this is Gronk's 2nd back surgery in 4 yrs; plus I think JPP has a much stronger back than Gronk since he did like 13 backflips in a row once

Rotoworld:

True that their time table should be similar, this is Gronk's 2nd back surgery in 4 yrs; plus I think JPP has a much stronger back than Gronk since he did like 13 backflips in a row once
JPP is just practicing. They took him off the PUP b/c they think he'll be ready before week 6. It doesn't mean that he'll be ready week 1.

According to Ben Volin of the Boston Globe, Gronkowski looked good while doing his rehab work on Monday, with the report noting that the tight end was doing short sprints forward, backward and sideways with cones. Analysis: Moreover, Gronkowski was also spotted "catching and throwing a bit."
Still no reason to believe he'll start on PUP. Guessing we'll see a Week 3 or Week 4 return. That's about a month away.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Ben Volin of the Boston Globe, Gronkowski looked good while doing his rehab work on Monday, with the report noting that the tight end was doing short sprints forward, backward and sideways with cones. Analysis: Moreover, Gronkowski was also spotted "catching and throwing a bit."
Still no reason to believe he'll start on PUP. Guessing we'll see a Week 3 or Week 4 return. That's about a month away.
Rotoworld:

Rob Gronkowski (back surgery) took part "extensively" in side drills at Patriots practice Monday.
Working with a strength coach in a t-shirt and shorts, Gronkowski caught passes and participated in agility drills. FOX Sports' Alex Marvez was on hand for the practice and observed Gronk moving "fluidly." The Boston Globe's Ben Volin described Gronkowski as "looking good" while going through short sprints "forward, backward, and sideways with cones." Although Gronk is expected to sit out Week 1, he remains on track for an early-season return.

Source: Field Yates on Twitter

I'm planning on drafting Gronk in my redraft league, but also planning on him being out the first 3-4 weeks. Who are others using as a good pair for those first few weeks who's also going late?

I'm planning on drafting Gronk in my redraft league, but also planning on him being out the first 3-4 weeks. Who are others using as a good pair for those first few weeks who's also going late?
I took Jared Cook in the 10th after Gronk with 5.02 in my main league.

(though our third WR slot is actually a WR/TE, so I have an additional option there)

Depends on your draft to a degree... I ended up with Myers, but waited a good long time. Was just too much value at WR, which I needed (which I passed on early due to going RB heavy in a league where you can start three, then Cam dropped to me late 4th and Gronk early 5th), then need for key backups/handcuffs.

Id love to have gotten Cam Jordan, but he was taken earlier. Honestly, I don't see that much difference between like 7-10 TEs after the first 6-8 are off the board. With so much more passing overall in the league, you have a lot more decent to good options, especially where you get PPR.

Gronk's presence sparks PUP reminder

By Mike Reiss | ESPN.com

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The presence of recovering tight end Rob Gronkowski was notable at Patriots practice on Monday, serving as a reminder of the significant decision ahead for the team.

By 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, the Patriots must choose whether to place Gronkowski on the active 53-man roster or the reserve/physically unable to perform list. If it’s the reserve/PUP option, which would mean Gronkowski doesn't count against the 53-man roster and would open up a spot for another player, Gronkowski wouldn’t be allowed to practice or play in a game until after the sixth week of the regular season.

While it’s not realistic to think Gronkowski would be ready for the season-opener on Sept. 8, as previously reported by ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, a late September return might not be that far off the mark.

Gronkowski’s presence Monday seems to reflect that momentum is building for that possibility.

Still, while the rest of the team was in full pads, Gronkowski was in shorts and a T-shirt. And while most of the players were working on the team’s upper two practice fields, Gronkowski was on the lower field, going through agility drills with a member of the strength and conditioning staff. So he wasn’t participating in individual drills with teammates as much as he was continuing with his rehabilitation.

It’s quite possible that this is the type of work Gronkowski has been doing in recent weeks, but the difference Monday was that it came in view of media members who have a limited viewing time at practice.

That sneak peak previewed the significant decision ahead for the team with Gronkowski.

i think he avoids PUP. That being said agility drills and playing football are two completely different things. (signed, captain obvious.)

I picked up Gronk in 5th round and Jermichael Finley in the 8th round. One of the roster spots is WR/TE flex so may keep Finley around if he blows up

I got him at 7.12 of a 14 team PPR last night. What sucks is that Graham had dropped to 2.12 so I grabbed him there and then couldn't watch gronk drop any further. My issue is that I'm basically stuck because apparently no one values gronk due to his injuries. Looks like I'll be rolling with a stacked double TE set all year using my flex!

I got him at 7.12 of a 14 team PPR last night. What sucks is that Graham had dropped to 2.12 so I grabbed him there and then couldn't watch gronk drop any further. My issue is that I'm basically stuck because apparently no one values gronk due to his injuries. Looks like I'll be rolling with a stacked double TE set all year using my flex!
Same happened to me and I think it is a blessing. I have no problem using Gronk in my flex spot.

I got him at 8.04 in a 12 team non-ppr league. I also grabbed Graham in round 3, but couldnt let Gronk fall any further. He went in the same round as M Bennett, B Myers, Rudolph, and Gates. Everyone stayed clear because of the injury.....

got him at 06.07 in a 12 tm ppr. heard a few groans from guys behind me (most of the real competition was on that side of the draft order).

but PUP was still on the table at the time of the draft.

I got him at 8.04 in a 12 team non-ppr league. I also grabbed Graham in round 3, but couldnt let Gronk fall any further. He went in the same round as M Bennett, B Myers, Rudolph, and Gates. Everyone stayed clear because of the injury.....
That is ridiculous value. I want to say nice job, but I'm not sure how you passed on him so many times.

Leonidas said:
Geez, I thought I got a deal with Gronk at 5.02 in a 12 team standard league, some of the ones posted above makes me wonder who you are playing with that not a single person took a chance on him for so dang long.

But anyway, I'm watching closely.

buck naked said:
Ace zero1 said:
I was totally avoiding gronk but he fell to the 6th so I snagged him up.
These two things are mutually exclusive.
Yes, they are.
Agreed. I grabbed him at 4.01 and loved it. I must say that it was in a 1.5 PPR TE league with 2 keepers (Graham was kept), so in a redraft without keepers, Gronk would have been a late 5th. I wanted Witten, who fell to 3.11 one spot before I would have taken him. I was shocked Witten fell so far, but we just changed from a 2 PPR to 1.5 PPR for TEs, so I think TEs got devalued too much.

I also drafted Cook at 7.12 and Sudfeld in the 12th, so I like my TE position. Cook doesn't have a bye until week 11, so I think I should be able to roll with Cook (or Sudfeld if he is ridiculous) until Gronk is 100% and ride Gronk the rest of the year.

It may seem like a lot, but in a 1.5 PPR TE league, I think Gronk + Cook is a real nice pairing. With the keepers, Cook was my second backup, so I thought it was well worth it to have a solid TE slot and Gronk rolling in the fantasy playoffs (knock on wood I make it). PPG wise, Gronk has been almost 2ppg better than Graham in my league's scoring, so having him healthy at the end of the year could be huge.

ETA: Just to those understanding how valuable a healthy Gronk could be at the end of the year, I went back and looked at my leagues stats and calculated them for Gronk based on 1.5 PPR and there was only one WR or TE who beat his PPG in 2011 and 2012, Calvin. Looking at WR1 to WR12 vs TE1 to TE12 in PPG, WR12 was 5-7 PPG less and TE12 was 8-9 PPG less. Gronk healthy is a huge difference maker in 1 or 1.5+ PPR leagues starting a TE.

It sounds like a LOT of people are pairing Gronkowski with Cook. And a few with Sudfeld of course.
With Cook's late bye, he is a great option to pair with Gronk. Sudfeld was there and worth the risk at that point. The only other higher rated TEs with byes that late are Witten (makes no sense to pair, ignoring cases where Gronk is a ridiculously late value) and Cameron. I feel much more comfortable with Cook than Cameron. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if Cook + Gronk still finishes as TE1 with the upside being the potentiall huge advantage during the playoff run. In my league, Graham would have been a first round pick with no keepers, so Gronk and Cook for effectively a mid/late 5th and mid/late 9th (fitting in keepers in real draft slots) is pretty good value.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss says a late September return for Rob Gronkowski (back) "might not be that far off the mark."
After multiple forearm surgeries and a back procedure, Gronkowski has finally begun his rehab in earnest. Now he has to rebuild core strength and get in football shape. That process usually takes about a month, giving Gronk a reasonable shot to make his season debut in Week 3 against the Bucs or Week 4 in Atlanta.

Source: ESPN Boston

Users who are viewing this thread