What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (3 Viewers)

This is guy is one good Hit from being placed on I.R once he plays... You guys really think after all the recent medical drama he's had..that he's going to play like he did b4?

4th rd pick for a guy who's iffy sounds like a bad idea
One good hit from IR, says who? Gotta roll the dice sometimes to win.

This is guy is one good Hit from being placed on I.R once he plays... You guys really think after all the recent medical drama he's had..that he's going to play like he did b4?

Isn't every player one good hit away from IR? Everyone thought Stafford was undraftable after his numerous injuries and no one saw Brady's knee injury coming either. I recall Charles going down for the year as well and he is going in the 1st rd this year. It's all a crapshoot, but I wouldn't put Gronk in the same category as Mcfadden... yet.

I don't know if I think that he's going to play like he did before, but I do know that I think you have no idea what you are talking about.

Why is he one good hit from IR? Or I should say, any more than any other player?

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't know if I think that he's going to play like he did before, but I do know that I think you have no idea what you are talking about.

Why is he one good hit from IR? Or I should say, any more than any other player?
Because the guys who have been predicting that them sky is falling with regards to Gronk started by saying he would go on PUP, then he'd be less than 100% for over 1/2 the season, now they are moving onto this "logic."

You guys realize that human beings heal, right? I mean muscle and bone knits together and grows back. Then you're better. There can be setbacks (J Stew for example) and there are sometimes chronic problems (A Bradshaw for example), but most of the time there's a problem, you have surgery and then you're better.

Once Gronk is healed he's at about the same risk as everyone else. And the consistent story from people who actually know what's going on has been that he'd heal in about six weeks, and need another six to get back into shape. So here we are around 10 weeks from the surgery and he's been working out for a few weeks now. Which suggests that, just as predicted, he's healed.

Also, teams don't typically let their players play NFL football unless they're healthy enough to play. Players designated "Questionable" in a given week perform exactly as they normally do when they actually play.

Maybe the back thing is chronic (though even if it is the last surgery bought him three years). Maybe the infection is hidden in the arm bones and will reemerge (unlikely, but sometimes it happens). But the most likely story is that when he returns he's healed and ready for play. Teams sometimes ease a guy back in just to confirm what they think they know (i.e. that the player is healed and ready to play), but they don't gradually ramp them up over the course of 8 games. At least not that I can recall.

So the most likely scenario, based on his status on the active roster, is that Gronk is right on time with his recovery. Which means that sometime soon he'll start practicing with the team. If there aren't any setbacks he'll play in a game. And if there aren't any setbacks he'll keep playing in games until he gets hurt again (which is almost 100% certain -- since playing in the NFL comes with an almost 100% injury rate).

You're welcome.

You guys realize that human beings heal, right? I mean muscle and bone knits together and grows back. Then you're better. There can be setbacks (J Stew for example) and there are sometimes chronic problems (A Bradshaw for example), but most of the time there's a problem, you have surgery and then you're better.

Once Gronk is healed he's at about the same risk as everyone else. And the consistent story from people who actually know what's going on has been that he'd heal in about six weeks, and need another six to get back into shape. So here we are around 10 weeks from the surgery and he's been working out for a few weeks now. Which suggests that, just as predicted, he's healed.

Also, teams don't typically let their players play NFL football unless they're healthy enough to play. Players designated "Questionable" in a given week perform exactly as they normally do when they actually play.

Maybe the back thing is chronic (though even if it is the last surgery bought him three years). Maybe the infection is hidden in the arm bones and will reemerge (unlikely, but sometimes it happens). But the most likely story is that when he returns he's healed and ready for play. Teams sometimes ease a guy back in just to confirm what they think they know (i.e. that the player is healed and ready to play), but they don't gradually ramp them up over the course of 8 games. At least not that I can recall.

So the most likely scenario, based on his status on the active roster, is that Gronk is right on time with his recovery. Which means that sometime soon he'll start practicing with the team. If there aren't any setbacks he'll play in a game. And if there aren't any setbacks he'll keep playing in games until he gets hurt again (which is almost 100% certain -- since playing in the NFL comes with an almost 100% injury rate).

You're welcome.
Someone has Gronk on their team. :rolleyes:

I have Gronk on a bunch of teams, but this is just logic. Feel free to point out which parts you disagreed with and I'll take you off ignore long enough to have a discussion.

ETA: actually no I won't. Last word is all yours.

You're welcome.
You could just as easily go back, read the "Seeing how Gronk is probably gonna miss the first 6 weeks" posts, post a rolly eye smiley, and say people don't own Gronk, and are wishfully thinking.

Gronk had a surgery, that had a set timetable for return. A surgery that is nothing new, that has been performed for years and years. If we were looking to check comparable returns to getting on the field, we would be pretty happy. Ross Tucker had this thing 11-something years ago, and was back practicing fully in 10 weeks. Jason Pierre-Paul had the same thing two weeks before Gronk.

But no drama tic hand-wringing from Giants fans about Pierre-Paul. He's due back when he's due back. That's it.

News about a setback? Nope.

Why should we expect Gronk to take SO much longer than anyone else to get up to speed?

I was an extreme pessimist on Gronk. Moreso for the lingering arm issues than the back. I was afraid this could be a Charles Rodgers collarbone deal worst case.

I ended up drafting him in one league a few weeks ago with the expectation that he'd go on the PUP list. Value was good.

I think for all of us that own him, the last few days have been positive. The folks that don't own him and have been worried (like I was) are going to continue to spin any good news negatively, because I think if they could redraft again, many would have jumped on him when they had the chance and decided to pass. They need to continue to justify that decision.

ETA - I know there's still no guarantees he'll play like he did the last two years, or even be on the field the first few weeks. I do believe the non-PUP move will raise his ADP.

I think he'll be fine in the short-term but I still don't think his back will hold up long-term. His contract is only guaranteed through 2014 and and they only have to pay him $7M in 2015. Then they have to make a decision whether to give him a $10M option bonus on rest rest of his contract that will cost them $9.5M a year.

I think he'll be fine in the short-term but I still don't think his back will hold up long-term. His contract is only guaranteed through 2014 and and they only have to pay him $7M in 2015. Then they have to make a decision whether to give him a $10M option bonus on rest rest of his contract that will cost them $9.5M a year.
In the long run, were all dead.

To others who have gotten Gronk on a fantasy team so far, who is your TE you are gonna use in the meantime and what does the rest of your starting lineup look like? I have him on one team, which looks like this:

QB: Matt Ryan

RB: Charles, Chris Johnson

WR: Nicks, Steve Smith and Decker

Flex: Vereen

TE: Sudfeld (until Gronk comes back) or Julius Thomas

K: Zuerlein

Def: Balt or Cincy

12-team PPR.

10 team non-ppr

QB: Kaepernick

RB: McCoy, Forte, Sproles (start two)

WR: D. Thomas, Decker, T.Y. Hilton (start two)

Flex: David Wilson

TE: Olsen and Gronk

K: Walsh

D/ST: New England

To others who have gotten Gronk on a fantasy team so far, who is your TE you are gonna use in the meantime and what does the rest of your starting lineup look like? I have him on one team, which looks like this:

12-team PPR.
I got him at pick 5.12 in a draft held on 8/17 and am backing him up with Fred Davis. It was a 1 player keeper league (I kept Spiller) and I had the 1st pick. I really didn't want him but felt I was already set at RB and WR, so why not take the risk at that spot.

QB: RG3, Romo

RB: AP, Spiller, D.Will, F.Jackson, Pierce

WR: Fitz, Dre (took at 3/4 turn)

TE: Gronz, Davis

I probably would have done things differently if I wasn't set at RB and WR starters.

16 team, .5 PPR for RBs. 1 PPR for WRs/TEs. 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 2 Flex (WR, RB, TE), K, D.

QB - Brees

RB - Lynch, BJGE, DeAngelo, Turbin, Joseph Randle

WR - Welker, James Jones, T. Austin, Jeffery, Jacoby Jones

TE - Gronk (4th), Myers

D - Dal, Cle

K - Brown

Not pretty, but Gronk for 12-14 games out of the 4th round would make me happy.

ETA - If Myers is a good TE this season, I could start him and Gronk at a Flex.

I took him in the 4th in my work league, 12 team PPR w/flex. Week 1 lineup is :

Russell Wilson

Arian Foster/Reggie Bush

Larry Fitzgerald/Antonio Brown/Cecil Shorts

Fred Davis

Flex : TY Hilton or Shane Vereen

In the long run, were all dead.
If I'm expending a top 20 dynasty pick I want it to be on someone with a little more longevity or at least more guaranteed short-term production.

The thing with Gronk is even if he misses 6 games, you can replace him with a TE you take in one of the last rounds of your draft to play those 6 games. That combination will likely outperform even Jimmy Graham and a all but 15 WRs.
Yep. If add together what I have projected for Gronk, plus 6/16ths of what I have for Jordan Cameron, that puts my TE's season total only a few points behind Graham and at WR11.
Too many people don't seem to recognize that head-to-head is a PPG game. And later PPG matters way more than earlier PPG. Oh well, just another misconception to exploit.
Huh?
Put it this way: would you rather have the highest score in the league in weeks 1, 2, and 3, or in weeks 14, 15, and 16?

The thing with Gronk is even if he misses 6 games, you can replace him with a TE you take in one of the last rounds of your draft to play those 6 games. That combination will likely outperform even Jimmy Graham and a all but 15 WRs.
Yep. If add together what I have projected for Gronk, plus 6/16ths of what I have for Jordan Cameron, that puts my TE's season total only a few points behind Graham and at WR11.
Too many people don't seem to recognize that head-to-head is a PPG game. And later PPG matters way more than earlier PPG. Oh well, just another misconception to exploit.
Huh?
Put it this way: would you rather have the highest score in the league in weeks 1, 2, and 3, or in weeks 14, 15, and 16?
you have to get to the playoffs first
YUP.... and Im not sure why someone would want to start in that sort of hole.
I grabbed Gronk in the 9th which is incredible value and took o daniels way later so the points you get from Daniels/Gronk will be top 2 te numbers and probably top 10 wr numbers don't you get it???????? waste of typing guys

12-team PPR.
12 team ppr start 2/2/1

QB: Rg3,Cutler

RB: Cj Spiller,Dwilson,Gio

Wr: Roddy, Colston, Garcon,

TE: Gronk, Odaniels

K: Prater

D: STL

12-team PPR.
I got him at pick 5.12 in a draft held on 8/17 and am backing him up with Fred Davis. It was a 1 player keeper league (I kept Spiller) and I had the 1st pick. I really didn't want him but felt I was already set at RB and WR, so why not take the risk at that spot.

QB: RG3, Romo

RB: AP, Spiller, D.Will, F.Jackson, Pierce

WR: Fitz, Dre (took at 3/4 turn)

TE: Gronz, Davis

I probably would have done things differently if I wasn't set at RB and WR starters.
No one kept AP... How did you keep Spiller and draft Ap.

I stole Gronk tonight in the 6th rd of a 12 team PPR draft (from the #2):

Romo

D Martin

D Murray

L Fitz

P Garcon

S Vereen

Gronk

Tucker

Bucs

We dont have a TE mandatory rule, so Gronk will be my flex when he comes back. Insane value that I could not pass up. Have D Hopkins, Randle, and J Gordon if I need a WR3 before Gronk returns.

His injury certainly scared people off. I would not have taken him if I needed to rely on him as my WR2.

12-team PPR.
Took Gronk in the 5th, 12 team .5 ppr keep 2 (Mine were Dez in the 2nd and Miller in the 14th), start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, and a Flex

QB: Romo, Cutler

RB: Charles, Miller, Mathews, Tate, Bell

WR: Dez, Britt, Mi. Floyd, Hopkins, LaFell

TE: Graham, Gronk

K: Bullock

DEF: Tampa

Graham fell to me in the 3rd, and then once I saw Gronk in the 5th I pounced to try and get a sick advantage at TE/Flex. Admittedly weak at WR, but I still kinda like it

massraider said:

12-team PPR.
Took Gronk in the 5th, 12 team .5 ppr keep 2 (Mine were Dez in the 2nd and Miller in the 14th), start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, and a Flex

QB: Romo, Cutler

RB: Charles, Miller, Mathews, Tate, Bell

WR: Dez, Britt, Mi. Floyd, Hopkins, LaFell

TE: Graham, Gronk

DEF: Tampa

Graham fell to me in the 3rd, and then once I saw Gronk in the 5th I pounced to try and get a sick advantage at TE/Flex. Admittedly weak at WR, but I still kinda like it
Ha, look at it this way. Your 3 WRs are Dez, Graham, and Gronk. Britt is your tight end, and Floyd your flex.

mbuehner said:
It occurs to me that im allowed to start another TE if/when Gronk is out... and that even if I blanked at the draft and took some hump off the wire he will only be a nominal amount of points distant from the TE 6-11 ill usually play against. And then Gronk comes back. So I can add their projections together. Huh.
This is why PPG matters so much more than total points. It's even better to use VBDPG, but that's not nearly as quick or easy to calculate. Take a player's PPG, multiply by 16, subtract the baseline to get his pro-rated VBD total, then divide by 16 to get how much extra value he added to your franchise per game. For double bonus extra credit, multiply VBDPG by games played to get how much total value a player provided. A guy who adds 10 VBDPG and plays 8 games is more valuable as a guy who adds 2 VBDPG and plays 16 games, even if the latter guy scores substantially more points. The first guy is basically a half season of Doug Martin last year (actually, slightly more valuable per game than Martin). The second guy is basically BenJarvus Green-Ellis last year. Which would you rather have, a half season of Martin, or a full season of Law Firm?

This is also the major weakness of projections. I can expect that Lance Moore will score more points than Justin Blackmon and STILL prefer Blackmon because Lance Moore won't score more points than Blackmon and whatever scrub I roll out during his four-week suspension combined.
Awesome, awesome post. Always read your posts closely. Keep up the good work.

Blurb out now that says Gronk not expected in Weeks 1 or 2. So looking like 3-6 for a debut at this point.
don't expect him week1 or with week2 being a quick turn around Thursday night game.

hoping for week3 and beyond

\
The Bills and Jets are automatic wins and they probably don't need him against the Bucs. He isn't really needed until week 4 at the Falcons.
Agreed. I think the most interesting thing will be his progress over the next few weeks. Barring a setback, I think no way he isnt playing @ ATL. If his progress is good or even ahead of schedule, I could see ATL being his first game but Gronk getting playing time like it isnt.

12-team PPR.
Jared Cook is the stop-gap.

12 team standard Yahoo scoring except for moderate tweaks/elevation to defensive scoring.

Starters:

QB: Stafford

RB: Martin, Jones-Drew

WR: Demaryius, Welker

TE: Cook

W/T: Britt

Def: St.Louis/Balt committee

Bench: Lacy, Giovani, Bryce Brown, Moreno, Gronk

12-team PPR.
10 team ppr

QB - Manning

RB - Spiller, Richardson

WR - Green, Garcon, Austin

TE - Gronk (4th), Daniels (12th)

K - Leg

D - SF

12-team PPR.
I took Cameron to go along with Gronk. My logic was Gronk should be out 2-4 weeks and Cameron should see more targets in week 1 & 2 with Gordon suspended the first 2 weeks. Cameron also gives me a good backup if Gronk has any issues and we can also flex a TE so that is an option if Cameron ends up hitting big..

Gronkowski back to practice for Patriots

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/01/gronkowski-back-to-practice-for-patriots/

"According to Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald, Gronkowski was back on the field in full uniform for practice Sunday."

Mike Reiss@MikeReiss

14m
Watched Gronkowski go thru running warmup, agility through bags while catching football thrown by coach, and lower-key blocking-pad drill.

Mike Reiss@MikeReiss18m
Rob Gronkowski was fourth in line for reps behind Hoomamawanui, Sudfeld and Develin in TE/FB grouping. Appears to be moving well.

I have only been playing Draftmasters or "best ball" leagues so its a little different, but here is my team from Friday night:

Jay Cutler QB CHI vs CIN Sep 8 1:00pm 8 236.95 53 -

Chris Johnson RB TEN @ PIT Sep 8 1:00pm 8 219.50 60 -

Ray Rice RB BAL @ DEN Sep 5 8:30pm 8 283.10 28 -

Sidney Rice WR SEA @ CAR Sep 8 1:00pm 12 168.65 107 -

Pierre Garcon WR WAS vs PHI Sep 9 7:10pm 5 138.20 166 -

Kenny Britt WR TEN @ PIT Sep 8 1:00pm 8 129.90 180 -

Jared Cook TE STL vs ARI Sep 8 4:25pm 11 142.30 155 -

Rob Gronkowski TE NWE @ BUF Sep 8 1:00pm 10 227.50 55 -

Adam Vinatieri K IND vs OAK Sep 8 1:00pm 8 139.00 165 -

Arizona Cardinals Def/ST ARI @ STL Sep 8 4:25pm 9 146.00 148 -

Sam Bradford QB STL vs ARI Sep 8 4:25pm 11 282.80 29 -

Jake Locker QB TEN @ PIT Sep 8 1:00pm 8 172.90 101 -

Nick Foles QB PHI @ WAS Sep 9 7:10pm 12 114.15 209 -

Chris Ivory RB NYJ vs TAM Sep 8 1:00pm 10 37.20 371 -

Ryan Williams RB ARI @ STL Sep 8 4:25pm 9 27.80 392 -

DeMarco Murray RB DAL vs NYG Sep 8 8:30pm 11 150.40 137 -

Le'Veon Bell RB PIT vs TEN Sep 8 1:00pm 5 O

Ryan Broyles WR DET vs MIN Sep 8 1:00pm 9 65.00 295 -

Rueben Randle WR NYG @ DAL Sep 8 8:30pm 9 66.80 291 -

Tavon Austin WR STL vs ARI Sep 8 4:25pm 11 -

Marlon Brown WR BAL @ DEN Sep 5 8:30pm 8 -

Jordan Cameron TE CLE vs MIA Sep 8 1:00pm 10 58.60 309 -

Matt Bryant K ATL @ NOR Sep 8 1:00pm 6 169.40 104 -

Mike Nugent K

Oakland Raiders Def/ST

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Def/ST

Gronk, Cook, and Cameron in FFPC format where TEs get 1.5PPR and dual flex.

Rob Gronkowski back at New England Patriots practiceBy Kevin Patra

Around the League writer

New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski was in full uniform Sunday at the team's first regular-season practice, according to multiple reports.

Gronk avoided the dreaded physically unable to perform list to start the season, indicating the Patriots expected him back sooner rather than later.

The injured tight end took part in warmups and position drills in the early portion of practice that reporters are allowed to watch. Gronkowski moved well, but looked to be going at half-speed, according to the Boston Globe.

Gronk clearly is progressing from his offseason back surgery -- although we wouldn't put it past Bill Belichick to throw out the tight end as a smoke screen to opponents regarding his readiness.

NFL.com's Albert Breer reported last week that Gronkowski's target return date for the last couple of months has been late September. Anything before then would be a bonus for the Patriots.

The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

Users who are viewing this thread