What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (2 Viewers)

You know whats scary? Gronk may be back just fine this season, and he may not live up to his draft position for a totally unexpected reason.

The rest of the pack.

Last year in week 1 the top 12 TEs combined for 137FPs. This year they combined for 197FPs. Thats a 44% increase. So what could that mean? Well lets start with the obvious caveat- its only 1 week.

But... everybody is trying to have a TE like Gronk and Graham. And there are some actual contenders out there, and the offenses to feed them. Jared Cook had the 15th best TE fantasy performance since 1995 this week. Julius Thomas, Vernon David, Jason Whitten, and Owen Daniels all had multi-TD days. Jordan Cameron, Finley, Celek, and Gates all looked like they could have big days ahead of them.

Point being- we all valued Gronk based on his value relative to the other 11 or so starting TEs we will face (and discounted him for the missed time) expecting the average starting TEs to have a similar field to last season and recent history. IF this ends up being a renaissance year for tight ends, that value gap has shrunk dramatically. Julius Thomas was a very late or waver wire lottery pick... thats one thing, but if guys like Jared Cook and Jordan Cameron end up within a point or two a game of what Gronk gets ya, instead of 5 or 6 points (or more), that relative value is a lot smaller than the guys we passed over to get gronk in the 4th or 5th rounds compared to where the other teams got their TEs. We could have a problem.

Not an established worry yet, but something to keep an eye on. If it were to hold up, Gronks name value might be worth more than his relative value (especially given the injury risk) at some point this season.
I valued him assuming it would be a weak field and he'd miss 6 games. I'd be perfectly content if, instead, there was a strong TE field and Gronk only misses 2 games.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Patriots "hope" Rob Gronkowski (back) will be ready for Week 3, but "definitely" expect him back by Week 4.
It's sounding like Gronk might return earlier than Danny Amendola (groin). Our best guess is that Gronk will end up a game-time decision for Week 3 before likely not playing. Owners should be targeting Week 4 for the return of their TE1.

gianmarco said:
And to think Amendola was going before Gronk in some drafts......
Go back and look at some of those ridiculous dynasty trades that happened in the offseason.

As a Gronk owner I'm very pleased with what I saw today from the Pats. They will need him a lot, especially in the RedZone. Could be his best year and I fully expect him to start next week against Tampa.

If Thompkins and Edelman are drawing 15 targets you'd think that Gronk is going to run wild when he gets back to full healthy.

If Thompkins and Edelman are drawing 15 targets you'd think that Gronk is going to run wild when he gets back to full healthy.
If thompkins and Edelman are catching 15 balls out of 25 targets, you'd think Gronk is going to be triple-teamed when he gets back.

If thompkins and Edelman are catching 15 balls out of 25 targets, you'd think Gronk is going to be triple-teamed when he gets back.
Yeah, this is a funny one to ponder on. You can see the side that says he will be target 15-20 times a game. You can see the side that says that, for once, teams can actually give help on him because they don't have to worry about Hernandez, Welker, Woodhead/Vareen, etc.

I don't know what the answer will be but I feel like we will more clearly know how good Gronk is or isn't when he returns because he will earn his stats going forward.

Yeah, this is a funny one to ponder on. You can see the side that says he will be target 15-20 times a game. You can see the side that says that, for once, teams can actually give help on him because they don't have to worry about Hernandez, Welker, Woodhead/Vareen, etc.

I don't know what the answer will be but I feel like we will more clearly know how good Gronk is or isn't when he returns because he will earn his stats going forward.
Gronk didn't earn his stats previously? What?

Who do you think Brady would rather throw to, a triple-teamed Gronk or a single teamed Thompkins/Dobson? The defense was focusing on shutting down Edelman last night and Tom Brady still kept force-feeding him the ball. And that's Julian Edelman!

Gronk didn't earn his stats previously? What?
I think the point was the Gronk has benefited from being part of an explosive offense where teams could not focus on shutting him down. Still a great talent - but also a beneficiary of a great offensive scheme.

You would think that teams will focus on stopping Gronk and forcing the Patriots to win with WRs, and RBs - which right now looks like a tall order for them. The flip side, of course, is that when teams sell out to stop Gronk, the WRs will be in a better position to make plays - which will force teams to slow down their coverage on Gronk. But the WRs have to start catching the ball.

Yeah its a fine line. They will need to get something going other than just him, but man is he set up for as many targets as his health will allow. They are 2-0 but the Pats just look in a bad way right now.

Come on Gronk..I waited way too long and whiffed on backup TE.

Yeah its a fine line. They will need to get something going other than just him, but man is he set up for as many targets as his health will allow. They are 2-0 but the Pats just look in a bad way right now.

Come on Gronk..I waited way too long and whiffed on backup TE.
I did great with the back up to Gronk but then got stooped to not even play him.. Grabbed Gronk in round 9 and O.daniels like round 13. Actually started Dudfeld week1 over daniels but wouldn't have matter as I had Spiller/dwilson/roddy also in line up with dudfeld... Easy to see and say that I lost by a large margin...

So with both Vereen and Amendola to miss significant time, how huge will Gronk be? Or will defenses double and triple him and take him out of the game? I hope we see the beast mode Gronk that nobody can cover.

Gronk is not stoppable. Good TEs with good QBs always (always always always) get theirs.
Gronk WAS not stoppable. I'll be amazed if he returns to 60% of what he was. Have you seen him lately? He hasn't lifted weights in about a year and he looks emaciated. I don't know, I hope I'm wrong, but I see Gronk being marginally effective and having further injury problems for the rest of the season.

Gronk is not stoppable. Good TEs with good QBs always (always always always) get theirs.
Gronk WAS not stoppable. I'll be amazed if he returns to 60% of what he was. Have you seen him lately? He hasn't lifted weights in about a year and he looks emaciated. I don't know, I hope I'm wrong, but I see Gronk being marginally effective and having further injury problems for the rest of the season.
Have YOU seen him lately? This isn't true at all.

He looks smaller to me here and here. Not sure how much it really matters to him as a receiver though.

He looks smaller to me here and here. Not sure how much it really matters to him as a receiver though.
Yeah. Might hurt him as a blocker, but how often do you think Gronk is staying in to block on pass plays?

Really need Gronk back next week. My backups Clark and Celek stunk yesterday. Plan B tight end is not working. Gronk can't get back on the field soon enough.

how are teams doing the draft gronk? just treading water? beasting the competition? or getting smoked?
I'm doing just fine without him. When he comes back, I will ease him into the lineup, no rush right now.
same boat. somehow got gronk in the 15th round? and picked up jordan cameron in the 10th. at this rate id be happy if gronk rested until he was completely 100% . when i drafted him i was assuming he would be back around week 6. i know the pats are desperate at the receiver position but its best not to rush him back if you dont need to, unfortunately they need to with thompkins dropping everything being thrown at him

how are teams doing the draft gronk? just treading water? beasting the competition? or getting smoked?
I'm doing just fine without him. When he comes back, I will ease him into the lineup, no rush right now.
same boat. somehow got gronk in the 15th round? and picked up jordan cameron in the 10th. at this rate id be happy if gronk rested until he was completely 100% . when i drafted him i was assuming he would be back around week 6. i know the pats are desperate at the receiver position but its best not to rush him back if you dont need to, unfortunately they need to with thompkins dropping everything being thrown at him
15th is silly. I got him in the 5th and was pretty happy. I also had drafted Graham and spent a lot on Julius Thomas ( we have a TE spot and a WR/TE flex spot so it isn't actually insane to have so many good TEs). At this point, I would love to get a fully healthy Gronk back, but I would also be fine if he has complications and never comes back.

I drafted Gronk anf Sudfeld in one league. I narrowly won week 1, despite the zero from Sudfeld. I waivered Myers for this week, and will probably win again. So far it hasn't cost me any wins, but I could use another WR, which I would have taken in the 5th instead of Gronkowski.

Gronk can't get on the field fast enough for me.

Ilov80s said:
VA703 said:
Ilov80s said:
ebsteelers said:
15th is silly. I got him in the 5th and was pretty happy. I also had drafted Graham and spent a lot on Julius Thomas ( we have a TE spot and a WR/TE flex spot so it isn't actually insane to have so many good TEs). At this point, I would love to get a fully healthy Gronk back, but I would also be fine if he has complications and never comes back.
wow 15th round when the heck did you draft?

I believe I am 1-1 in one league (3rd round).. My back up is Winslow now, but I am getting basically no production from the te spot. Lucky I've able to hang on so far.. But would be a huge boost when he does get back on the field.

The other league I paired him with Jimmy Graham in round 1 . and drafted gronk in the 4th.. I need like 6 points in a ppr league out of aj green tonight to be 2-0. So havent needed him yet, but I am getting thin at the rb spots so I could really use him back to not have to flex an rb I dont want to

Hopefully he does comeback week 3, week 4 latest as the payoff could be huge for anyone who is treading water or is 2-0 without him.

Yeah. Might hurt him as a blocker, but how often do you think Gronk is staying in to block on pass plays?
But they need him as a blocker on the PATs...

ebsteelers said:
1-1

Credit to D.Thomas, J. Cook, and Welker for the W (week 1).

The spot I passed on (WR3) to take Gronk has been terrible though. Kenny Britt for crap last week, Vincent Brown for crap this week.

Drafting somebody in a meaningful round to have them sit on the bench does have an impact.

ebsteelers said:
0-2 and we don't even have to start a TE.

Gronk probably wouldn't have made a difference though.Rolling with Jordy, Bowe and Witten (with the sleeper quartet of Shorts, GIvens, Hilton, and Sanders behind them).

Gronk was a cheap keeper, so I didn't have much opportunity cost acquiring him and if I'd had Gronk, I'd have probably talked myself into benching Jordy or Witten in W1, and Bowe in W2.

I'd love to get him back, but mostly, I just hate losing my IR spot all week while he's listed as doubful even though there's no shot he'llplay. I really don't want to start him until about week 5, even if he plays this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
ebsteelers said:
Grabbed him at 5.07 in a ten team standard league. I'm 1-1. Beasted week 1 as the second highest scoring team thanks to Eli, Demaryius, Cook, V Jax, Forte, etc. The only team that scored higher than me was the dude who had Manning, and he only scored like 3 points more than I did.

Week 2 I totally pooped all over the place. Eli, Demaryius, Cook, V Jax. Poo everywhere.

Taking a guy in the top 5 rounds and not starting him certainly hurts. Can't wait to get him back.

2-0 in a mandatory TE 8 teamer where I got him in the 5th or 6th. I also took Jimmy Graham in the 2nd, so I plan to use him as a flex if and when he comes back and proves he's healthy.

1-1 in a mandatory TE 16 teamer where I took him in the 4th. I grabbed Brandon Myers in the 9th, so not having him wasn't my downfall in my loss (unless he had played and outscored my flex player that week by 25-30 points).

0-2, but not due to TE - started Allen in week 1 and Fleener this week. For me, the culprit has been at RB... in a 16 team redraft, I took Richardson as my RB1 (underperforming), Vereen as my RB2 (hurt and cut due to short bench), Andre Brown as my RB3 (hurt and cut), and Woodhead as my RB4. Barely lost this week.

ebsteelers said:
0-2 and we don't even have to start a TE.

Gronk probably wouldn't have made a difference though.Rolling with Jordy, Bowe and Witten (with the sleeper quartet of Shorts, GIvens, Hilton, and Sanders behind them).

Gronk was a cheap keeper, so I didn't have much opportunity cost acquiring him and if I'd had Gronk, I'd have probably talked myself into benching Jordy or Witten in W1, and Bowe in W2.

I'd love to get him back, but mostly, I just hate losing my IR spot all week while he's listed as doubful even though there's no shot he'llplay. I really don't want to start him until about week 5, even if he plays this week.
IMO Gronk is a must start as soon as he plays unless you have Graham or Witten. This Patriots are having so much trouble scoring inside the 20, and Gronk is such a good red zone threat. Theres no way he doesn't play red zone snaps, even if he is on a snap count.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just examining this today. I'm in 6 redraft leagues, all FFPC scoring so 1.5 TE PPR. I've got Gronk on two teams, used a third round pick both cases. Those teams are 1-3. In the other 4 leagues I don't own him those teams are will be 0-8 or 1-7 after tonight. So bottom line is 6 leagues I'm in Gronk owned teams will be 1-11 or 2-10.

I never bothered to scan the rosters of other 4 teams that don't have Gronk but for my two teams it's been a killer. Have Fleener/Winlsow in one and started wrong guy both weeks so averaging 4 points a game out of the spot. The other league has Celek/Fleener and have gone with Celek both times so averaging 6 points a game from the TE spot. That's killing me in 1.5 TE leagues especially when considering the huge games some TE's have had.

I've got Gronk in both of my leagues. In my older league, I will be 2-0 as long as Cincy's Def doesn't outscore Antonio Brown by 12 points ( which would be historic since we penalize for both yards and points allowed in that league (a positive def/st score is a really good week in that league).

In my other league, I will probably be 1-1, unless A.J. Green doesn't outscore Eifert by more than 4 points (unlikely).

It helps that I was on the Chip Kelly bandwagon in both leagues, owning Vick and Desean in the older league and Vick and McCoy in the other one.

1 - 1 Barely lost the first week and barely won this week. I am hoping he comes back healthy and fast, I am very poor at receiver after Victor Cruz and hoping to move Greg Olsen for a receiver

8 and 6 for me. Drafted Gronk at 3.1 (12 teamer, basically a 1/2/2/1/2 non-RB flex). Cameron and Gates were my other two TEs so that hasn't been the problem. Lost one game this week by .08 and another by .18.

Basically things are going to plan so far. Hang at .500 until Gronk comes back. Hope to get him back by the time my bye weeks start hitting. Assuming he goes into beast mode, climb back into the playoffs and hope for a strong finish.

Is is a 94 team league (7 versions of every player) so I swung for the fences.

I assume most Gronk drafters were taking the same approach. Going back to week 10 of 2010, he's averaged over one TD a game when he's played. Definately a first round ff player.

I was torn at the time between him and Amendola. Others taken after him were Colston, Brown, Bowe, Wayne, CJ (TN), Sporles. Just seemed like a dead spot in the draft.

If Edelman can get 15 + targets as the only reliable guy Brady has, is it safe to assume that if Gronk is healthy and doesn't have a snap count he is going to be getting 15 to 20 targets a game until Amendola comes back? Seriously, who else does Brady have to throw too?

I'm 1-1. Haven't gotten anything out of the TE position. Looking at waivers for a better back-up and need Gronk in the lineup. I can win week to week but couldn't do much better than .500 without a decent TE.

I have Gronk in all four of my leagues and am 1-1 in all four. Given that I went with Sudfeld as my temporary replacement for him, it will be a big change when he comes back even if he's 75% of healthy Gronk.

According to ESPN's Ed Werder, Rob Gronkowski (back) is 50/50 to play in Sunday's game against the Bucs.
As with most Patriots injury situations, we likely won't know Gronkowski's status until 90 minutes before Sunday's 1pm ET kickoff. But there's no doubt he's very close to a return. Gronk has been practicing in pads with his teammates for more than two weeks now and reportedly looks good. Tom Brady and the Patriots are certainly desperate to get their All-Pro back on the field. If Gronk is active against the Bucs, he'll be a TE1. Sep 17 - 9:36 AM

-----------------------

would love to see him go this week especially after what Jimmy Graham did against this defense last week

Users who are viewing this thread