What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (6 Viewers)

He's the best player in the NFL right now (maybe ever?)
Best at his position: JJ Watt

Most valuable: Luck

You could argue that Gronk is the most dominant TE ever. That's a better claim. Even Gonzo at his peak was never this impactful.

That being said, Gonzo played forever and at a very high level throughout. Probably gives him a clear edge in "Best TE Ever" for now.

I think this is one of the more dominant Gronks out of all the Gronks in the multiverse.
Yeah, but why did this one decide to play football? Makes you wonder.

That's an age old question. One that pits volition versus power. I pose you another question. If Gronk is the Omnipotent Gronk, could the Omnipotent Gronk make a rock he couldn't lift?

I think this is one of the more dominant Gronks out of all the Gronks in the multiverse.
Yeah, but why did this one decide to play football? Makes you wonder.
I mean of all the things he could have been, a football player? Makes you wonder what kind of lesson he's trying to teach us through this.

You could argue that Gronk is the most dominant TE ever. That's a better claim. Even Gonzo at his peak was never this impactful.

That being said, Gonzo played forever and at a very high level throughout. Probably gives him a clear edge in "Best TE Ever" for now.
Rodgers is better than Luck.

Rodgers is better than Luck.
That's questionable, but when you factor in age and likelihood of improvement/regression, I would much rather have Luck.

If there were a draft of every player in the NFL, I think Luck would go 1st. Not only that, but he's so much more valuable than the next guy that you might pass on picks #2 and 3 for the chance to get him. A lot of that owes to his youth and longevity though, which wasn't part of the initial post up there (i.e. simply "who is best right now?").

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2570407-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-is-gronk-already-the-best-tight-end-ever

Gronkowski's 207 receiving yards through two weeks are the most to open a season in his career and the fifth-most ever for a tight end.

■ With three receptions of 20 or more yards on Sunday, he has 79 plays of that length in his career, the seventh-most by any receiver in the NFL from 2010 to 2015, behind only Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, DeSean Jackson, Andre Johnson, Dez Bryant and Vincent Jackson.

■ He's one of 34 players with four or more receiving touchdowns through the first two weeks of the season; only four players have ever had more touchdown catches through the first two weeks.

■ Gronkowski has 58 career receiving touchdowns, most ever for a tight end in his first six NFL seasons and tied for ninth-most ever by any receiver, with a good chance that he'll get at least six more touchdown catches this year to push past everyone in history except Jerry Rice (79) and Randy Moss (77) for touchdown receptions through his first six NFL seasons.

■ He already ranks seventh all time in touchdown catches by a tight end, with a great shot at surpassing current fourth-place holder Shannon Sharpe (62) this year, leaving him behind only Tony Gonzalez (111), Antonio Gates (99) and Harold Carmichael (79). Gronkowski has played more than 100 fewer games than each of the six tight ends ahead of him on the career touchdowns list.

■ He has accumulated 4,586 career receiving yards—seventh-most ever by a tight end through his first six years. He's got the record held by Kellen Winslow (5,176) within reach, though it is worth noting thatJimmy Graham (4,814 career receiving yards) is in his sixth year in the NFL.
Can't help but wonder what his numbers will look like at end of season if he can stay healthy and Pats keep throwing. 20 TDs?

When did Carmichael become a TE? I always thought he was a WR for almost all of his career. I do remember having trouble getting his football card one year to complete my set. Pretty sure he was a WR.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2570407-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-is-gronk-already-the-best-tight-end-ever

Gronkowski's 207 receiving yards through two weeks are the most to open a season in his career and the fifth-most ever for a tight end.

■ With three receptions of 20 or more yards on Sunday, he has 79 plays of that length in his career, the seventh-most by any receiver in the NFL from 2010 to 2015, behind only Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, DeSean Jackson, Andre Johnson, Dez Bryant and Vincent Jackson.

■ He's one of 34 players with four or more receiving touchdowns through the first two weeks of the season; only four players have ever had more touchdown catches through the first two weeks.

■ Gronkowski has 58 career receiving touchdowns, most ever for a tight end in his first six NFL seasons and tied for ninth-most ever by any receiver, with a good chance that he'll get at least six more touchdown catches this year to push past everyone in history except Jerry Rice (79) and Randy Moss (77) for touchdown receptions through his first six NFL seasons.

■ He already ranks seventh all time in touchdown catches by a tight end, with a great shot at surpassing current fourth-place holder Shannon Sharpe (62) this year, leaving him behind only Tony Gonzalez (111), Antonio Gates (99) and Harold Carmichael (79). Gronkowski has played more than 100 fewer games than each of the six tight ends ahead of him on the career touchdowns list.

■ He has accumulated 4,586 career receiving yardsseventh-most ever by a tight end through his first six years. He's got the record held by Kellen Winslow (5,176) within reach, though it is worth noting thatJimmy Graham (4,814 career receiving yards) is in his sixth year in the NFL.
Can't help but wonder what his numbers will look like at end of season if he can stay healthy and Pats keep throwing. 20 TDs?
I would think with health, 20 would be a lock. He only needs 16 in 14 which for him is very doable. We (owners) just need to get him close so they force feed him to set a record. What does he need 23? Does he have the TE record?

■ He has accumulated 4,586 career receiving yardsseventh-most ever by a tight end through his first six years. He's got the record held by Kellen Winslow (5,176) within reach, though it is worth noting thatJimmy Graham (4,814 career receiving yards) is in his sixth year in the NFL.
I would think with health, 20 would be a lock. He only needs 16 in 14 which for him is very doable. We (owners) just need to get him close so they force feed him to set a record. What does he need 23? Does he have the TE record?
I see 16 as the floor right now and his ceiling is a Randy Moss 2007-like 23 TDs.

Carmichael is before my time but it looks like wiki and an ESPN article about him both refer to him as a WR.

I agree that 20 feels very doable considering what he's already done if he can play 16, it just seems tough considering it's only happened twice and it was Rice and Moss.

I'm pretty sure his 2011 with 17 receiving TD and one that went down as a rush TD is tight end record. Insane that he did that as a 22 year old in his second year in the league.

Carmichael is before my time but it looks like wiki and an ESPN article about him both refer to him as a WR.

I agree that 20 feels very doable considering what he's already done if he can play 16, it just seems tough considering it's only happened twice and it was Rice and Moss.

I'm pretty sure his 2011 with 17 receiving TD and one that went down as a rush TD is tight end record. Insane that he did that as a 22 year old in his second year in the league.
It is very elite company, but isn't Gronk basically the Moss of TEs?

Last edited by a moderator:
When did Carmichael become a TE? I always thought he was a WR for almost all of his career. I do remember having trouble getting his football card one year to complete my set. Pretty sure he was a WR.
I bet it's a PFR query fail. Pro Football Reference sometimes gets loose with positional designations among players who were listed at more than one position through their career. You regularly get WRs like Hines Ward and Harold Carmichael showing up in the TE pool. I once found Jamaal Charles showing up in a WR query. And even if a guy legitimately split his career between both positions, sometimes you'll get his WR seasons showing up in the TE pool, (Dave Parks, I'm looking at you).

Carmichael was unequivocally a wide receiver. An awfully big one, too; Carmichael actually had more career receiving yards than every other 6'8" or taller player in NFL history... combined.

The wire in all my leagues is barren, I tried to grab Maxx Williams in one league and he was snatched up. Guess I'm rolling out Ben Watson :X

Too deep a league for someone like Clay to be on my wire...I'm rolling Owen Daniels over Barnidge and Watson, and expecting to take a zero...ASJ picked a bad time to be hurt.

Tried to get Clay but settled for O. Daniels. Owen's targets have gone up each week and he has a decent matchup.

I drafted Rudolph believing the hype that he was going to be a huge sleeper this year. After this week I'll try to trade him for a defense or maybe a mediocre QB.

wdcrob said:
Makes me :sadbanana: that Clay is on the WW. Guy is so underrated.
TE9 in PPR. Not exactly a OMG moment if he's on the wire.

Prior to last week's semi-breakout game, he was averaging 3.5rec for 31yds and 0.5TD.

Deep bench league, so Barnidge it is. I drafted Vernon in the 16th or 17th as my bye week replacement and there is squadoosh on the ww and Davis appears have another hurt ######.

Rudolph was inexplicably available
+1...but not thrilled about it. Unfortunately play in a league with a bunch of Buffalo homers, so all Bills of reasonable value (and some not so reasonable) are taken. Also thought about Daniels, but went with the higher consensus call. My Rudolph experience has never been a positive one, but hoping this time around is different.

+1...but not thrilled about it. Unfortunately play in a league with a bunch of Buffalo homers, so all Bills of reasonable value (and some not so reasonable) are taken. Also thought about Daniels, but went with the higher consensus call. My Rudolph experience has never been a positive one, but hoping this time around is different.
Looking like Rudolph is bback to blocking. I only own him in 1 of 2 TE mandatory leagues and he's likely going to be dropped when I need something since I start Reed and Gates is off suspension next week. Now that ADP's looking solid again Teddy isn't passing much at all and Rudolph looks back to who we always thought he was.

Feel the same way, the guy produces every like 4th game, and I feel Denver will always have the ball and a bunch of three and outs and not many snaps for Rudolph even in garbage time.

Users who are viewing this thread