What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (8 Viewers)

Big time rumors that Gronk might be dealt:

I’m hearing Gronk may not be a Patriot by the end of the day? If I’m right I want credit. If I’m wrong I don’t want any blame.

— Dave Portnoy (@stoolpresidente) June 8, 2018

I’m sitting here writing a pre-emptive blog for what might be, if true, the most stunning move of the Bradichick Dynasty. Stay tuned

— Jerry Thornton (@jerrythornton1) June 8, 2018

I’ve mentioned on BST a source telling me that, having been around the team for years, they’ve seen how players are treated just before being dealt. That, the source said, was how it felt with Gronk at start of ’17.

— Tom E. Curran (@tomecurran) June 8, 2018

The person who posted on Reddit the news of Julian Edelman‘s looming four-game PED suspension a day before ESPN broke the story (which means that ESPN didn’t break the story) has promised another one.

“I’ve actually been sitting on some bigger patriots news for the past few days, still trying to verify that it’s 100% true before putting it out there,” said Redditlover1981. “Regardless I plan to post it here tomorrow evening.”

(It’s admirable that an anonymous person would be careful enough to protect his/her good unknown name by ensuring accuracy.)

Redditlover1981 has decided to accept guesses (and that went exactly how you think it would go), hinting that “the news is negative and it’s about a current multi year patriot.”
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/08/reddit-edelman-tipster-hints-at-another-patriots-story/

Edit: Rob's brother chimes in on it:

https://twitter.com/Chrisgronkowski/status/1005140227487395840

Last edited by a moderator:
[Adam Kurkjian] From multiple sources, here's what I have re: the Gronk rumors. Told Belichick wanted to trade him. Offers on the table w both the Titans and 49ers. He and Robert Kraft had a closed-door meeting to discuss. Tom Brady threatened to retire if the deal went through. Kraft nixed it. 

https://twitter.com/adamkurkjian/status/1005196159240024064?s=21
Damn.

GOAT Head Coach and he gets steamrolled by Kraft and Brady twice in less than a year on the future direction of the team.

The Pats came out and said there was absolutely no truth to any of the trade rumors, including the after story with BB, TB, and Kraft. They normally don’t comment or won’t answer questions. But for this they got right out there n front of it. People can choose to believe the rumors or not. But this was a very atypical response. 

Rob Gronkowski - TE -  Patriots

The Patriots have given Rob Gronkowski the opportunity to earn $4.3 million more this season through per-game roster bonuses and statistical incentives.

At the highest level, Gronk's salary will jump to $13.05 million if he hits all his bonuses and incentives. On top of his $8 million base, Gronk will earn a $1.1 million bonus -- up to three -- for each of the following: If he plays 80 percent of the Patriots' snaps, catches 70 or more passes, scores nine or more touchdowns, or surpasses 1,085 receiving yards. Nothing else about his contract changes with the added bonuses, meaning Gronk still has two years left on his deal. This is becoming the Patriots' way to keep their star players happy after doing this with Gronk last season and Tom Brady earlier this year.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Aug 30 - 3:33 PM

Love Gronk but do not own him anywhere this season. I have a bad feeling about the Pats this season. I think they fall off the hilltop this year. 

Broken clock (not you specifically RDoc)
All good and I get it.  I've seen the predictions of demise for years which I never bought into.  For me personally, it feels like this is the year it falls apart.  I'm not a NE hater either.  I think Belichick and Brady are both GOATs.  I love Gronk.  I hope I'm wrong, it's been fun to watch.

All good and I get it.  I've seen the predictions of demise for years which I never bought into.  For me personally, it feels like this is the year it falls apart.  I'm not a NE hater either.  I think Belichick and Brady are both GOATs.  I love Gronk.  I hope I'm wrong, it's been fun to watch.
It could be the year.  I've seen games already (last year) where Brady started seeing ghosts....but I think its more likely that its not, as the organization has made it clear they are not going to end the dynamic by "trading or benching Montana" and the system props up the player's mild erosion of athleticism (not to mention the freakish genetics, football IQ and California weirdo medical and stretching regimes of the player - avocado ice cream anyone?).  Further, we need to see one of the AFC East teams evolving past pure feces...and I don't think we're there yet.  I gave Buffalo a shot this year, but their o line is the worst in history.  Maybe the Jets?  Dunno...I'm not a Bowles fan.  I think Miami needs to move past the Tannehill situation...don't think he's horrible; just not the answer.

It could be the year.  I've seen games already (last year) where Brady started seeing ghosts....but I think its more likely that its not, as the organization has made it clear they are not going to end the dynamic by "trading or benching Montana" and the system props up the player's mild erosion of athleticism (not to mention the freakish genetics, football IQ and California weirdo medical and stretching regimes of the player - avocado ice cream anyone?).  Further, we need to see one of the AFC East teams evolving past pure feces...and I don't think we're there yet.  I gave Buffalo a shot this year, but their o line is the worst in history.  Maybe the Jets?  Dunno...I'm not a Bowles fan.  I think Miami needs to move past the Tannehill situation...don't think he's horrible; just not the answer.
The AFC east is SOOO bad.  3 of the 5 worst organizations in football... 

Every year if Gronk stays healthy for even 95% of the games, he’s a league-winner.

what I find fascinating though is that almost every player in magical foosball gets an injury adjustment with even a short history of getting dinged up.

with Gronk it’s every year and he barely fell out of the 1st round. I think he was drafted about the same spot in the early 2nd in both my leagues that he went last year. 

Worth the risk if healthy - league winner. But at a mid-2nd round price tag, I’d rather take a player with a lower chance of missing games. 

He should be a monster out of the gate this year though without Edelman. I’m lucky in that I somehow managed to dodge Gronk on his BYE in both my leagues. Antonio Brown, too. I live a charmed life.   :shrug:

The AFC east is SOOO bad.  3 of the 5 worst organizations in football... 
Miami seems to be on the up - I still think Tannehill can be a legit QB. He started looking really solid prior to the injury. They’ve got what looks like an excellent RB in Drake, and their receivers are serviceable. 

They were considered a premier franchise not all that long ago - after Ricky Williams they’ve been on hard times for a while though. Doesn’t help to have the Pats dynasty abusing you a couple times a year for a decade. 

Rob Gronkowski (questionable, ankle) is expected to play in Week 4 against Miami.

The Patriots limited Gronk in practice this week, but there was never concern over his status. He'll play his normal snaps and should be the focal point on offense after getting held in check the last two games. Gronk is our top tight end for Week 4.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Sep 30 - 9:05 AM

According to ESPN's Jeff Darlington, Dolphins SS Reshad Jones (questionable, shoulder) is expected to miss Week 4 against the Patriots.

It's a surprise after he was a full participant at practice on both Thursday and Friday. With Jones sidelined, the Dolphins will turn to first-round rookie Minkah Fitzpatrick at strong safety. Jones' absence is great news for Rob Gronkowski owners.

Source: Jeff Darlington on Twitter 

Sep 30 - 10:15 AM

Rob Gronkowski was forced from Sunday's game against the Dolphins with an ankle injury and is questionable to return.

It's unclear if it's an aggravation of Gronk's previously-listed ankle issue, but it's safe to assume. With the Patriots obliterating the Dolphins, Gronk's day is almost certainly through. Gronk had a middling four catches for 44 yards before going down.

Sep 30 - 3:09 PM

Brady’s still looking for him a lot, he’s just covered.  I’m thinking he needs Edelman out there so we’ll see.  If his ankle is slowing him down in game I hope they sit him Thursday so he heals up right, but it’s probably just Edelman.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is Gronk's value in redraft?

In a 12-team full PPR redraft, give me a range of WRs you think would be a decent straight up trade for Gronk.

Owner in my league drafted Gronk and Kelce back to back (2.11 & 3.02.)

Start 3 WR + 2 RB + 1 TE + 1 W/R/T Flex

I have: AB, T.Y., Tate, Alshon, Allison, Westbrook. Mike Williams

His top 4 WRs are Crabtree, Watkins, Fuller, Ginn

What is Gronk's value in redraft?

In a 12-team full PPR redraft, give me a range of WRs you think would be a decent straight up trade for Gronk.

Owner in my league drafted Gronk and Kelce back to back (2.11 & 3.02.)

Start 3 WR + 2 RB + 1 TE + 1 W/R/T Flex

I have: AB, T.Y., Tate, Alshon, Allison, Westbrook. Mike Williams

His top 4 WRs are Crabtree, Watkins, Fuller, Ginn
Would have to be AB for me to think about that trade as a Gronk owner.  

There’s maybe 20 non QBs in fantasy right now that will carry your team to a W you should have lost multiple games each season.  And he’s one of only two or three that will do it from the TE spot. 

The only receiver you have like that is AB.  If Inwas 2-2 or worse with his WRs Id probably do it given Gronks underperformance so far and possible unavailability for week 5.

Would have to be AB for me to think about that trade as a Gronk owner.  

There’s maybe 20 non QBs in fantasy right now that will carry your team to a W you should have lost multiple games each season.  And he’s one of only two or three that will do it from the TE spot. 

The only receiver you have like that is AB.  If Inwas 2-2 or worse with his WRs Id probably do it given Gronks underperformance so far and possible unavailability for week 5.
Thanks, that was my thinking. Both AB & Gronk are underperforming so far, but not sure I want him that bad. Could be wrong but I think #84 has a better shot at returning to his previous heights & with Gronk there’s the seemingly weekly GTD on whatever ding he’s dealing with.

Thanks, that was my thinking. Both AB & Gronk are underperforming so far, but not sure I want him that bad. Could be wrong but I think #84 has a better shot at returning to his previous heights & with Gronk there’s the seemingly weekly GTD on whatever ding he’s dealing with.
All comes down to who your TE is.  TE production falls off much more sharply after the few elite guys than WR production does.  That’s why Gronk has been so valuable historically.

If you have the rare TE who can give you 10 points a week avg with a decent floor I’d hold AB, if not I’d prefer Gronk.  But that’s just me and I’m a guy that drafted Gronk #15 overall.

Drafted Gronk in 2/3 leagues (PPR).  Until Pats show why other teams should not double or triple team, Gronk will continue his slump.  However if Gordon and/or Edelman can come in producing big plays, defenses will eventually shift coverage.  Another wild card is Michel continuing to being the bell cow (something they haven't had in years) can tie into his red zone production.  I'm holding Gronk but am looking into TE options this week as it's a short one and doesn't make much sense to play him if I"m BB with an easy win vs Colts.

There must of been a reason why Gronk was contemplating a retirement. He could be just done with sacrificing his body at the price he is. 

Took him at 2.4 (16 overall) after drinking the Bloom cough syrup, recommending him 6th overall.  I wanted the statistical edge at TE more often than not and he's only provided that 1 of 3 times. I'm normally big on taking a TE early in my format.

Will Edelman help clear the second level?

Will Josh Gordon pull the safety away?

What put me over the top was the re-negotiated contract.  It's filled with snap count % which would drastically dip if he misses time, catches, yards, td's.

Here's hoping he plays Thursday.

Multiple reports today that Gronk’s ankle injury is “not serious”

This might be the most specific injury information released by the Patriots in the Belichik era.
What sources btw? I believe you but searching and can't see anything by Dr. Jene

I'd be willing to bet the injury is more score related than the actual injury. NE was crushing Miami, why risk him?
Agree. He obviously has a bit of a sore ankle. He's not been practicing much. The game was way out of reach. No reason to do anything but let him get ice on it and start rehabbing for the short week. 

Not saying this is logical at all but deep inside I truly believe that Gronk is just holding back now so that his coming reign of fantasy championshion winning games second half of the season will be more dramatic.

Not saying this is logical at all but deep inside I truly believe that Gronk is just holding back now so that his coming reign of fantasy championshion winning games second half of the season will be more dramatic.
I think he's getting older, had a lot of injuries and is only 85% of what he used to be and the Patriots have no real threats so he is getting doubled every play. 

There must of been a reason why Gronk was contemplating a retirement. He could be just done with sacrificing his body at the price he is. 
Plus they tried trading him to Detroit and he would rather pull a Calvin Johnson and bail on the game instead of subjecting himself to that physical abuse with no championship in sight. 

Users who are viewing this thread