Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
timschochet

North Korea thread: UPDATE: President Trump steps into North Korea

40 minutes ago, MikeIke said:

Hmmm... I wouldn't have even guessed it was in the Probable range.

In 2013 DIA declassified documents claimed we have moderate certainty they have multiple warheads that can be delivered with ballistic missiles. They've seriously ramped up their program since then. An NGO that works on proliferation stated NK had enough fissionable material for 20 bombs and estimated 8-10 armed weapons. This isn't a topic to err on the side of lower estimates. Best to go forward as if they have all 20 ready to go.

43 minutes ago, MikeIke said:

Hmmm... I wouldn't have even guessed it was in the Probable range.

If it wasn't at least probable, I doubt the rest of the world would be paying much attention to itchy-finger Kimmy.

55 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

If I got that notice while in North Korea, I'd be running for the border.  Un is so crazy, he may just line up the reporters and shoot them all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

If I got that notice while in North Korea, I'd be running for the border.  Un is so crazy, he may just line up the reporters and shoot them all.

There's never a good time to be in NK, but now is really not a good time to be in NK.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:
23 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

There's never a good time to be in NK, but now is really not a good time to be in NK.

It looks like I picked the wrong week to be in North Korea. :(

31 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

i'm getting a Jonestown vibe here - do you think this guy will allow certain defeat and loss of face?   the outside world may never make it in time, and we'll never know when it's going down in earnest. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

i'm getting a Jonestown vibe here - do you think this guy will allow certain defeat and loss of face?   the outside world may never make it in time, and we'll never know when it's going down in earnest. 

No.  Which is why I suggested that one of his possible nuke targets if he was being militarily overthrown would be Pyongyang itself.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

No.  Which is why I suggested that one of his possible nuke targets if he was being militarily overthrown would be Pyongyang itself.

not as up to speed on the opines in this thread, so, i missed that - but ... it's exactly what i'm inferring - and fearing. 

1 minute ago, Capella said:

Why would he nuke his own people? I'm not expecting him to be reasonable but I don't get that one. 

The history books are full of dictators who committed suicide when facing defeat.  Seems like a grandiose way to do it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

This clown is so unstable, he could detonate a nuke at one of his concentration camps, blame the US while proclaiming to his brain washed followers that we are so incompetent that we missed Pyongyang. Then unleash everything he's got on S. Korea and Japan. Someone inside NK need to put a bullet in his head. I'm sure no one around him is allowed to carry a weapon but somehow they have to kill him. He's got to die before he hits the launch button. Letting him launch first is a real bad idea unless you are 100% certain you can knock it out of the sky.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Capella said:

Why would he nuke his own people? I'm not expecting him to be reasonable but I don't get that one. 

Um, the guy kills his own family members.

He also executes his own generals via anti aircraft gun....because they enraged him.

Edited by lod001
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lod001 said:

This clown is so unstable, he could detonate a nuke at one of his concentration camps, blame the US while proclaiming to his brain washed followers that we are so incompetent that we missed Pyongyang. Then unleash everything he's got on S. Korea and Japan. Someone inside NK need to put a bullet in his head. I'm sure no one around him is allowed to carry a weapon but somehow they have to kill him. He's got to die before he hits the launch button. Letting him launch first is a real bad idea unless you are 100% certain you can knock it out of the sky.

Seal Team 6 is on it

China tells military to be ready to 'move' to North Korea border

China has ordered its military to be on nationwide alert, in addition to areas near the North Korea border, as tensions escalate on the peninsula.

The Information Center for Human Rights and Democracy, a nongovernmental organization in Hong Kong, said Beijing has ordered troops at all five military "regions" to maintain preparedness because of the situation in North Korea, according to Oriental Daily News in Hong Kong.

According to the NGO, China's armored and mechanized infantry brigades in the provinces of Shandong, Zhejiang and Yunnan received the state mandate.

About 25,000 troops of the Chinese military's 47th group army of the Ninth Armored Brigade have been instructed to be ready to move long distances, close to the North Korea border, the Hong Kong-based organization said.

Other troops may have been mobilized.

According to Taiwan's China Post, the Chinese government may have deployed about 150,000 troops along the North Korea border on Sunday, as U.S. and South Korea militaries conducted joint exercises in and around the peninsula.

The country keeps missiles, including 12 Dongfeng-03 ballistic missiles and 24 Dongfeng-21 "Carrier-killer" missiles at the 51st rocket army station in Shenyang, Liaoning Province.

China has become increasingly frustrated with North Korea's missile threats.

Following news of the U.S. deployment of the aircraft carrier Carl Vinson to the peninsula, state tabloid Global Times issued an editorial on Wednesday, saying more Chinese citizens want China to place heavier sanctions on North Korea.

The Global Times English edition also issued an editorial saying China would "send out troops for sure" if military conflict is sparked on the peninsula.

The editorial has since been removed from state websites, according to multiple sources.

Surprise! PLA website removed article threatening nuclear strikes on DPRK if it crossed China's "bottom line."
Good thing I grabbed screens. pic.twitter.com/i1dnZMfYbw

— Jeff M. Smith (@Cold_Peace_) April 11, 2017
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2017/04/12/China-tells-military-to-be-ready-to-move-to-North-Korea-border/5871492003177/
- Yeah I'm not lovin' this.
Edited by SaintsInDome2006

5 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Um, the guy kills his own family members.

He also executes his own generals via anti aircraft gun....because they enraged him.

I get it, that just seems extreme even for him. 

28 minutes ago, Capella said:

Thus, he reported to Stalin that the MID candidate was not fit to be General Secretary, but that his [Beria’s] candidate Kim Il Sung was the perfect man for the job.  In this way, he earned yet more praised from the Generalissimo [Stalin].

http://www.dailynk.com/english/read.php?num=11335&cataId=nk03600

- Lavrenti Beria picked Kim Il-Sung himself.

Kim Il Sung was soon delivered to us.  I thought it odd that he was dressed in a Soviet captain’s uniform and had an Order of the Red Banner on his chest, while the man who brought him was dressed as a civilian. The thickset, round-faced Korean spoke good Russian, but in terms of political qualifications he was utterly ignorant.  He failed the Marxism-Leninism exam completely.  But we had no choice; we could not just go to Stalin and report that his candidate wasn't qualified. We had to create a General Secretary from what we were given.  Whilst we were teaching him theory, we <…> acquainted Kim with important Koreans in influential governmental and non-governmental organizations.  Kim had to understand the importance of his mission and in this he succeeded very quickly and was bursting with pride.

We were living in a hotel under strict guard, where I decided to ignore his habit of constantly showing up wearing his Order of the Red Banner, awarded for patiently sitting at our rear waiting for the war with Japan to start.  Kim seemingly only took the Order off when he was going to sleep. Once, in the evening I told him:

“Tomorrow we are going to a demonstration. Behave as if you are already a big leader. Dress modestly, and take off the Order! Understood?”

“Understood,”  Kim obediently replied, then went to sleep.

The next morning when I came for him I saw that he was wearing the Order, and I got angry. “Do you understand what you’re doing? You’ve never served in our army and have never set foot in the USSR! Or did you forget?”

He suddenly replied, “Please let me keep it, the people won’t understand what it is.”

I have to confess that in the moment I was most afraid for myself, but fortunately, the Intelligence representative was downstairs so Stalin never came to know how poorly his colleague was prepared to perform as a Head of State. I personally took the Order from him and Kim never saw it again.

- KJU's grandfather was a lunkhead who didn't even understand enough about the ideology he was founding to pass a lousy test.

• Like 1

Every April from 1967, the DPRK ambassador presented me with a personal invitation from Kim Il Sung to his birthday. When I arrived in Pyongyang a “Mercedes” would be waiting for me right next to the plane and it took me to one of the governmental residences in the suburbs, where I spent about a week in luxury and was denied nothing.

I met Kim Il Sung once on each visit.  The Leader usually arrived in the evening; we walked together in the park for an hour or so and talked about old times, then had dinner together and parted ways until next year.  That happened 12 times.  But in the 13th year the ritual was broken. Kim Il Sung suddenly suggested we go to Pyongyang. We took a tour around the city and then alighted before a neat fence with a memorial plate in front and a big tree growing inside the fence.  It took me some time to recognize the place. Back in 1945 Kim and I were there and suddenly we heard the sound of a bullet -  a stray or an aimed one, we do not know for sure - whistling over our heads. At that time Kim had no bodyguards and we only had our orderly with us, so we had to duck and crawl to shelter behind a tree. There was no more shooting. We lay low for two more minutes, after which we got up and brushed off our uniforms.

I wouldn’t even call this an incident.  There had been more serious attacks on opponents of the emerging communist regime, sometimes several times a day, but a heroic legend formed from this trifling event. The same evening he told it to an inner circle of Soviet generals: “An experienced sniper was constantly shooting at us. And things could have become really bad, if not for the Motherland itself, which turned itself into a tree. It protected my Soviet friend Lebedev and I with an invisible shield.  All the while I was remembering my father and mother and how I was awarded the Order of the Red Banner.”

One of the senior generals listened to the story and advised dropping any reference to the father, mother and the Order, but to distribute the rest to the masses. Well, the advice of a superior officer is no different from an order, and at times of war orders are to be followed.

The next month when Kim was giving speeches at meetings and demonstrations, he always included the story, though his actions were presented as more and more vigorous. Thus, the number of snipers increased to twenty, they were shooting first from sub-machine guns and then from machine guns, and not for several minutes, but for an hour. In subsequent versions, Kim was not just lying behind a tree, but he shot back and every bullet from his staunch pistol hit the enemy right between the eyes. No sniper got out alive. 

Thirty years had passed when we were once again standing next to this legendary tree. We emerged out of the car and stood in silence near the plate commemorating the most picturesque aspect of the heroic story. The grass inside the fence was expertly trimmed, and fresh flowers were lying behind the tree. It was empty and calm outside; the whole district was cordoned off by guards and in the silence I was suddenly overcome with memories.

In a burst of emotion I forgot myself and tapped the Leader on the shoulder and said, “Think of it, we were laying just here, you do remember, don't you?  So young, so stupid…”

I saw the bodyguards flinch, and all at once they put their hands on their weapons, and the Leader blanched.

“Yes,” he said, after recovering.  “You were indeed so young. And very stupid.”

The next year, there was no call from the Korean embassy. 

• Like 1

About those Chinese troops. Are they there poised to attack NK? Or join with NK against the US? Perhaps both options are on the table.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jobber said:

About those Chinese troops. Are they there poised to attack NK? Or join with NK against the US? Perhaps both options are on the table.

I think they are there to prevent the border from being over-run by refugees.  I highly doubt they are there to engage US troops.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I think they are there to prevent the border from being over-run by refugees.  I highly doubt they are there to engage US troops.

Yeah.. on the list of #### China OR the USA wants... engaging in ground warfare with US Troops on the Korean Peninsula over NK's stupid ### is likely damn near the bottom. 

Edited by [icon]

Still think this is much ado about nothing.  We aren't in position, with just a carrier group, to do much in North Korea.  I don't know how many troops we have in South Korea, but I doubt its enough to invade the North.  And, any provocation, is likely to lead to a massive counter-punch.

Unless we think there will be dissension in the ranks, and a military coup, rather than a fight...

Btw - do people really "rattle their sabers?"  How does that work exactly?  :confused:

Edited by Higgs

1 minute ago, Higgs said:

Btw - do people really "rattle their sabers?"  How does that work exactly?  :confused:

Well Trump thinks we have an "Armada" so if we're sticking with 1588 yeah I guess our "armada" is on its way with rocket fired "sabers". When USN sailors load them they tend to rattle a bit. [took a shot].

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Well Trump thinks we have an "Armada" so if we're sticking with 1588 yeah I guess our "armada" is on its way with rocket fired "sabers". When USN sailors load them they tend to rattle a bit. [took a shot].

:lol: Not one of your better efforts my man.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Saber noise

In Chilean history, Saber-noise or saber-rattling (Spanish: ruido de sables) was an incident that took place on September 3, 1924, when a group of young military officers protested against the political class and the postponement of social measures by rattling their sabers within their scabbards.

The term is now applied generally to cover any indication of military aggressiveness. In a sense, strategically timed war games can serve as an explicit form of saber-rattling, in that the extent of a country's military muscle is put up on display for other countries (namely, adversaries) to see.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Armada is not an inaccurate description.  Perhaps a bit grandiose, but he seems to like that.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Still think this is much ado about nothing.  We aren't in position, with just a carrier group, to do much in North Korea.  I don't know how many troops we have in South Korea, but I doubt its enough to invade the North.  And, any provocation, is likely to lead to a massive counter-punch.

Unless we think there will be dissension in the ranks, and a military coup, rather than a fight...

If NK blows up a nuke in a tunnel far, far underground well I guess that's standard stuff. The big showdown seems to be about an impending missile launch. If no launch we all seem to dodge a bullet for another day.

38 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

If NK blows up a nuke in a tunnel far, far underground well I guess that's standard stuff. The big showdown seems to be about an impending missile launch. If no launch we all seem to dodge a bullet for another day.

You speakin' for The Donald here?

1 hour ago, Sinn Fein said:

That's what I think.

40 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

The time has come to get past dodging bullets and kill this bastard.

So why now? Why North Korea now? Makes no sense politically or otherwise. Yeah, the guy is a nut job and he's always acted this way. So, what has happened to all of s sudden escalate things? Is Trump feeling okay or what?

13 minutes ago, Mario Kart said:

So why now? Why North Korea now? Makes no sense politically or otherwise. Yeah, the guy is a nut job and he's always acted this way. So, what has happened to all of s sudden escalate things? Is Trump feeling okay or what?

dropping bombs....at least in the beginning of a war is historically positive for a presidents approval ratings.

Wag the Dog.

Should the leaders of NK be taken out? Yes. Is it our job? I guess so. Why not let China and Japan and SK handle it? I'm sure none of them get along and could decide on who should rule or what kind of government it should be.........

5 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Unconfirmed reports through Russian media that North Korea is evacuating Pyongyang. 

I saw that, Pravda. Shows how isolated NK is that there are claims that a national capital is being evacuated and no one has any ideas if true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mario Kart said:

I tried to dig into this earlier and only got one good response. Arguably we could say NK is using new technology to launch and also in the vehicle.

However if they're just doing another nuke test underground that's not that.

Alternatively there's no reason not to bring multinational diplomacy first. Every president has done that R or D. The counter argument is that that has failed, but lasting out NK is a long game and it takes patience. However alternatively we don't want to wake up one day and discover that NK can hit Australia, Japan, Hawaii, California or further with a nuke.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Per Pravda. Anyone else with this?

Word from Jester is its *just* a nuclear test.  Journalists put in busses and phones confiscated.

One tweet, but follow his timeline.

Uneasy, regardless.

Edited by cobalt_27

2 minutes ago, Higgs said:

We've been told to be ready to move out at 620am, but no idea why. Also, no cell phones allowed. #Pyongyang #Dprk

Thanks Higgs, 

Now...6:20 am...as far as I can tell, it is 10:50 am in North Korea's time zone.

Thus, what zone is the 6:20 am referring to?

Any ideas?

3 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Thanks Higgs, 

Now...6:20 am...as far as I can tell, it is 10:50 am in North Korea's time zone.

Thus, what zone is the 6:20 am referring to?

Any ideas?

Tomorrow.