What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

North Korea thread (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
Calling Ambassador Rodman!

http://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-saber-rattling-bark-worse-bite-193017357.html

The world may finally be taking North Korean threats seriously. On March 28, after the United States announced that two nuclear-capable stealth bombers flew from Missouri to South Korea as part of a major military exercise—which TIME’s Mark Thompson called “unusual” and Foreign Policy estimated might have cost $5.5 million—news reports ran rampant that Kim Jong Un and his military were plotting for their missiles to hit military bases in South Korea and U.S.-owned ones in the Pacific Ocean.

Speculation about North Korea’s apparent boost in military movements continued early Friday morning, when a photo from the young despot’s war room was released, showing him seated at a large wooden table and flanked by four senior generals in traditional military attire, who are watching him read through the supposed plans. A chart behind him is apparently marked “US mainland strike plan” with missile trajectories that state-controlled media claim end in Hawaii, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., and Austin, Texas. An accompanying image appears to show him signing an order for the rockets to be on standby. A Foreign Ministry statement warned of North Korea’s “right to a preemptive nuclear attack to destroy the strongholds of the aggressors.”

“He finally signed the plan on technical preparations of strategic rockets, ordering them to be on standby to fire so that they may strike any time the U.S. mainland, its military bases in the operational theaters in the Pacific, including Hawaii and Guam, and those in South Korea,” reported the Korean Central News Agency, the secretive nation’s state mouthpiece. Later in the day, tens of thousands of people converged in Pyongyang’s main square to support their leader, with some holding placards that read “Let’s crush the puppet traitor group” and “Let’s rip the puppet traitors to death!”

In response to the increased military movement, an American official was quoted as saying the isolated nation was “not a paper tiger” and that its “provocative behavior” should not be dismissed as “pure bluster.” The source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, continued: “What’s not clear right now is how much risk Kim Jong Un is willing to run to show the world and domestic elites that he’s a tough guy.” But even despite the latest harmful threats, the official offered this opinion on the young Kim: “His inexperience is certain – his wisdom is still very much in question.”

But many of North Korea’s threats have proved hollow and—more often than not—comical. For much of the past half century, North Korea’s proverbial bark has been much worse than its bite. Over the past decade or so, Pyongyang’s taunts have been met with criticism, laughs, sanctions and silence.

In March 2001, it threatened “thousand-fold revenge” on the U.S. for a “black-hearted intention” to scuttle its peace dialogue with the South. Eight years later in July 2009, after then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the North was like a child seeking attention from a parent, its leadership shot back with this one-liner: “Her words suggest that she is by no means intelligent.” (A foreign ministry statement went on to brand her a “funny lady” who looks like “a pensioner going shopping.”) In July 2010, Pyongyang promised a “retaliatory sacred war” after being blamed for the sinking of a South Korean ship, which killed 46 sailors. In April 2012, the North claimed it would reduce Seoul “to ashes” as tensions between the two governments had escalated again. And during a debate in February at the U.N. Conference on Disarmament, a North Korean diplomat cajoled Seoul: “A new-born puppy knows no fear of a tiger. South Korea’s erratic behavior would only herald its final destruction.” That final pronouncement is one that Kim and his cohort might want to heed themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad I didn't have to fire up this thread, long overdue. TY Tim

I think the Obama Administration is playing it cool. These photos of Fatty are always around some high ranking military folks who look like they are wearing outfits from 30-50 years ago, the equipment around them looks like telegraph stuff compared to what the US has at its disposal. The second the NK would launch a missile towards us we would wipe them out in seconds. I don't think China would say a word if they were the ones to launch 1st. it's all grand standing. They would launch on South Korea, not our military targets. Either way they lose.

They are starving and cannot give up their nukes and join the rest of the World in the 21st Century. Until they open up those prison camps and stop running the country like concentration camp then maybe we can talk to them and try to help them out. The silliness that this kid is running things there...doesn't he have internet there in North Korea? Can't Fatty see when he meets Dennis Rodman that there is a better way to live? He could be th ehero and lead North Korea out of dispair. All he has to do is say my father was wrong and I want to join the rest of the World, will you please hep us and we will put down our nukes. What do they really need a nuclear weapon for? No one wants to truly harm them. Guy could have been the savior and he is just ruining it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hypothetical:

The U.S. and South Korea have been bending over backwards not to start something due to the knowledge that NK aims to flatten Seoul as an immediate response.

Well, let's say NK loses it and launches a first-strike nuke at, say, Anchorage, AK. It hits the mark -- 100,000+ die. Does the U.S. then willingly give up Seoul during the retaliatory offensive?

I can't figure out what makes this guy tick. That being said, I'd be worried if I were South Korea. The NK army is quite large.

Hypothetical:The U.S. and South Korea have been bending over backwards not to start something due to the knowledge that NK aims to flatten Seoul as an immediate response.Well, let's say NK loses it and launches a first-strike nuke at, say, Anchorage, AK. It hits the mark -- 100,000+ die. Does the U.S. then willingly give up Seoul during the retaliatory offensive?
In this situation seoul is long since wiped out. Non factor. Turn them into shadows, all of them.

If Kim wants to stay in power of this country or even have a country, he's gotta know the minute he launches a weapon towards us or South Korea that his time in power is not for long.

Hypothetical:The U.S. and South Korea have been bending over backwards not to start something due to the knowledge that NK aims to flatten Seoul as an immediate response.Well, let's say NK loses it and launches a first-strike nuke at, say, Anchorage, AK. It hits the mark -- 100,000+ die. Does the U.S. then willingly give up Seoul during the retaliatory offensive?
That would never happen. But if it did happen, we would retaliate with a nuclear strike at North Korea, and South Korea would simply have to suffer.

That would never happen. But if it did happen, we would retaliate with a nuclear strike at North Korea, and South Korea would simply have to suffer.
What I worry about with North Korea, more than anything intentional, is a calamitous screw-up. What if they want to launch an empty rocket into the Pacific, but end up sending an armed rocket (oops!) into Japan or Alaska (oops, again!)?

I'm glad I didn't have to fire up this thread, long overdue. TY TimI think the Obama Administration is playing it cool. These photos of Fatty are always around some high ranking military folks who look like they are wearing outfits from 30-50 years ago, the equipment around them looks like telegraph stuff compared to what the US has at its disposal. The second the NK would launch a missile towards us we would wipe them out in seconds. I don't think China would say a word if they were the ones to launch 1st. it's all grand standing. They would launch on South Korea, not our military targets. Either way they lose. They are starving and cannot give up their nukes and join the rest of the World in the 21st Century. Until they open up those prison camps and stop running the country like concentration camp then maybe we can talk to them and try to help them out. The silliness that this kid is running things there...doesn't he have internet there in North Korea? Can't Fatty see when he meets Dennis Rodman that there is a better way to live? He could be th ehero and lead North Korea out of dispair. All he has to do is say my father was wrong and I want to join the rest of the World, will you please hep us and we will put down our nukes. What do they really need a nuclear weapon for? No one wants to truly harm them. Guy could have been the savior and he is just ruining it.
This from a guy who thinks the capital of North Korea is Bismark.

As long as their evildoing sister state of Iran didn't share the stealth plane-boat technology, we should be safe. If NK has them, all bets are off.

I think if he does send out a missile, he is almost doing the world a favor. Why? Everyone, other than the Iranians, maybe, will be in favor of someone, most likely the United States, to go in there and take care of business. Thing is, business will take about a week before the eventual surrender. Then, it might take another week or so to build a couple Walmarts and North Koreans will finally have light at night.

I think if he does send out a missile, he is almost doing the world a favor. Why? Everyone, other than the Iranians, maybe, will be in favor of someone, most likely the United States, to go in there and take care of business. Thing is, business will take about a week before the eventual surrender. Then, it might take another week or so to build a couple Walmarts and North Koreans will finally have light at night.
I can think of a billion other people who might have an objection or two...

No kidding. And beyond that, we're still probably talking about a lot of death and destruction while "business" is enacted.Any chance they can espionage this regime to death? I think even the Chinese have to be close to done with this guy - he's taken the crazy a couple steps over the line even for their purposes at this point.

No kidding. And beyond that, we're still probably talking about a lot of death and destruction while "business" is enacted.Any chance they can espionage this regime to death? I think even the Chinese have to be close to done with this guy - he's taken the crazy a couple steps over the line even for their purposes at this point.
Oh, please. China loves this.

You're probably right. I'd still like to see us send Archer over there.

For China it's all fun and games until the NK regime falls and the peninsula gets unified (under the SK government), or someone starts hurling nukes.

I think a metta world peace signed bowling ball should take care of this. Maybe a roger waters signed bag of midgrade pot.

Ha! No they don't.

Users who are viewing this thread