What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

North Korea thread (5 Viewers)

The irony is amazing.

In 2007 Obama was widely criticized by the right for pledging to engage in talks with Iran "without any preconditions." Several years later the Iran-U.S. nuclear deal was in place.

Cue the "yeah but this is Trump that was Obama" refrain...
Didn't the right call the deal the worst ever, something something billions, treason?

Not really sure what your point is.
My point is the irony in that the right is now trying to say it is righteous go down the path they thought was treasonous a few years ago.

ETA: Not least after tearing up the deal they abhorred

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you feel like the situations are similar enough to draw a comparison?  I can give you a laundry list of reasons i think they are different. Can you tell me how they are more similar to outweigh that list to warrant legit comparison?
Go for it
So no?  I'll even go one for one with you if this is genuine. I don't sense that it is at the moment but id be happy to be wrong. 

My point is the irony in that the right is now trying to say it is righteous go down the path they thought was treasonous a few years ago.
I agree. All I'm saying is there is precedent for engaging a despotic regime without preconditions that has led to a successful outcome. Not my personal approach but the jury's out on whether it might work. 

Bucky86 said:
It is amazing what constitutes a “victory” under the Trump years. A third photo-op with a murderous dictator with nothing to show for it. 

Obama gets the Iran deal down which included the likes of Russia and China. That was a “failure.”
Exactly...KJU is again working Trump over and they want us to celebrate this.

The Commish said:
I just don't get the "CNN is garbage....... so let me use them as a measuring stick!!!!" shtick
Well...its done by some of the same who bashed Obama for 8 years and then use “but Obama did it” as an excise for Trump. Even when it’s things Obama didn’t actually do the same.

Widbil83 said:
:goodposting:

A great day for America and peace around the world.  Even the Pope is gushing about it.  Maybe someday the handful of people living with a pre 2016 mindset will wake up.
What is great about it for America?

The irony is amazing.

In 2007 Obama was widely criticized by the right for pledging to engage in talks with Iran "without any preconditions." Several years later the Iran-U.S. nuclear deal was in place.

Obama was right.   The hawks were never able to apply a logical rationale to that stance...

IvanKaramazov said:
I agree with you about the need for a certain level of realpolitik in our foreign policy, which is why I always roll my eyes a little when people get all indignant about our friendly relationship with Saudi Arabia.  But in this case, North Korea hasn't done anything meriting this type of reward.  I'm sure you and I probably agree on that point -- just mentioning it for the record.
A foreseeable problem from the Trump administration cutting the State Department and Trump thinking he's the only one who can negotiate.

Talks are good - but with a tyrant like KJU, they should be done through back State Dep't channels.

That article avoids any detailed discussion of exactly how peace is going to be achieved. Are we to withdraw our forces from South Korea and recognize North Korea as a nuclear power? That is what they are demanding. If we’re unwilling to do that, what’s the play here? 
Also - there are other ways to build trust. Like, for example, State Department talks. If we still had a State Department.

Moments before meeting with Kim, Trump also thanked U.S. and South Korean troops stationed on the border and scrawled his familiar signature on the brick wall inside the U.S. post along the DMZ.

South Korean President Moon Jae-in praised the president for engaging North Korea, saying at a news conference before the meeting that, “President Trump is the maker of peace on the Korean peninsula.”

“Sixty-six years after the armistice, North Korea and the U.S. will meet,” Moon said at the news conference. “For the first time, U.S. and North Korean leaders will stand face to face at Panmunjom, a symbol of the division, and shake hands for peace.”

Trump described the planning for the meeting in the most casual of terms.  “I was just thinking yesterday, ‘Hey, I'm here, let’s see if we can say hello to Kim Jong Un,’” Trump said at the news conference. “There’s a lot of good feeling.” //

Moon endorsed the meeting with Kim at the outset of his own meeting with Trump here on Sunday afternoon.

A handshake across the border that has separated North and South Korea since the 1953 armistice that ended the Korean War would be an immensely powerful image, he said.

“I believe that picture in itself would represent a historic event, and this will be a significant milestone in the peace process on the Korean peninsula,” Moon said at the outset of a meeting with Trump.

Moon spoke to Trump over dinner Saturday about what he described as Kim’s resolve to denuclearize and spoke positively of the North Korean leader, Moon’s spokesman told local reporters.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-korea-dmz-kim-moon-20190630-story.html

The difference between actual Koreans with an actual stake in this, including the President of South Korea and his people, and our cynical blowhard media couldn't be any more out of touch with reality.  

I agree. All I'm saying is there is precedent for engaging a despotic regime without preconditions that has led to a successful outcome. Not my personal approach but the jury's out on whether it might work. 
Except you do it on our terms, not those of the despotic regime...that is of course if you in this for something other than the photo op.

These two parts of your post stuck out to me. 
Here's the part you omitted: 

Moon spoke to Trump over dinner Saturday about what he described as Kim’s resolve to denuclearize and spoke positively of the North Korean leader, Moon’s spokesman told local reporters.

Yes. My point is that if Moon believes that he is out of touch with reality. 

Yes. My point is that if Moon believes that he is out of touch with reality. 
It could be that Moon is using flattery and persuasion to achieve a broader goal toward peace.  Kim holding onto nukes is certainly understandable given our history with the "Libyan model".  So what?  What have we got to lose?  Your only point appears to be that US/SK/NK should stay stuck in a stalemate forever.  

The irony is amazing.

Iran is a pretty interesting comp. One key is that we did not give the Iranians things with nothing in return. Trump has now given Kim 2 propaganda bonanzas plus halted exercises with our ally and what have we gotten in return? Our negotiating strategy has been rejected outright. 

The DMZ meeting was all about shaping a narrative. That is why John Bolton, the ultra-hawkish national security adviser, was nowhere to be seen; he had been sent, or sent himself, to Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. But the official US party included Tucker Carlson, a Fox News talkshow host, who is Trump’s principal channel to the non-interventionist section of his far-right base. Eleventh-hour conversations with Carlson reportedly persuaded Trump not to launch missiles against Iran this month, after the downing of a US drone.

Why have we not gotten anything done after 2 summits other than some photo shoots?

Kim couldn’t get down to that border fast enough.  Another free legitimization exercise playing to Trump’s vanity.  America gets what in return?  Absolutely nothing.   Kim is abusing Trump.  He is not going to denuke.  

It is delusional to think that this achieved any foreign policy objective whatsoever.   

Why have we not gotten anything done after 2 summits other than some photo shoots?
Moving to summits and “photo ops” instead of threats of nuclear war is doing something.  Supporting an interKorean peace process is doing something.  Historic meets with the leaders of a country we’re still technically at war with is doing something.  Just because it doesn’t happen in 2 seconds doesn’t mean it’s not worth doing.  What have we got to lose?  We can always go back to the failed isolation strategy if diplomacy doesn’t work.  

It’s not the US’ place to tell another country they can’t have nukes.  If the Koreans want to end the war and negotiate on their own terms, let them. 

Moving to summits and “photo ops” instead of threats of nuclear war is doing something.  Supporting an interKorean peace process is doing something.  Historic meets with the leaders of a country we’re still technically at war with is doing something.  Just because it doesn’t happen in 2 seconds doesn’t mean it’s not worth doing.  What have we got to lose?  We can always go back to the failed isolation strategy if diplomacy doesn’t work.  

It’s not the US’ place to tell another country they can’t have nukes.  If the Koreans want to end the war and negotiate on their own terms, let them. 
You conveniently forget that the one threatening nuclear war was Trump - remember fire and fury?

Last edited by a moderator:
You conveniently forget that the one threatening nuclear war was Trump - remember fire and fury?
Yes, I remember.  The feigned outrage over “photo ops” is an extremely small price to pay to avoid nuclear confrontation and I’m glad he’s doing it.  He should be encouraged to talk to foreign govts, especially nuclear powers, not badgered for it.  Obama ran on this sort of policy in 2008.

It could be that Moon is using flattery and persuasion to achieve a broader goal toward peace.  Kim holding onto nukes is certainly understandable given our history with the "Libyan model".  So what?  What have we got to lose?  Your only point appears to be that US/SK/NK should stay stuck in a stalemate forever.  
No that is not my point. I’ve been pretty consistent on how I believe the USA should handle this long before Trump arrived on the scene, and it’s all in this thread if you want to look it up. I think we should accept North Korea as a country with nuclear weapons, and offer to open up trade with them, but at the same time pledge that we will always defend South Korea and Japan and keep our troops there. 

We can trade with North Korea but we should insist that we will never be friends with them until they end their human rights violations. And Kim should never be allowed to visit the White House; that’s a disgrace. 

https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1145376723585904640

The US is not a Higher Power. It doesn't have the authority to "legitimize" anybody. It only has obligations to be a moral actor. It often helps dictators commit atrocities. It's bizarre that we've "legitimized" that & saved our outrage for cases like a Korean-led peace process.
And this is not true. Despite our flaws we have been, until this President, the leader of the free world and we have a responsibility to the world to remain so. 

It’s not the US’ place to tell another country they can’t have nukes.  
Yes it is. 

In the case of North Korea we may have to accept it, but that doesn’t mean we should abandon in general the fight against nuclear proliferation. We created these monstrous weapons and therefore we have a responsibility to protect the rest of the world from them as best we can. 

And we had two summits already for what reason?  Shouldn’t we already be here?  

This will be another rinse and repeat just for show.  

All of tim’s posts on this page are bang on.  

The only thing I would add is that this apparent “diplomacy” trump is engaging in is, like everything trump, devoid of actual substance.  

Trump is such an egomaniac that he thinks developing a “friendship” with a murderous dictator is some kind of substitute for real substance foreign policy or diplomacy.  The fact that this Apprentice “White House” edition is accepted as normal is a sad indictment of the new normal in America.  

Someone wake me up when this dog and pony show returns anything remotely resembling tangible concessions from the most repressive regime on earth. 

Users who are viewing this thread