What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

North Korea thread (4 Viewers)

The term "legitimacy" refers to the degree with which one is accepted as the rightful leader of a country and the means by which their authority was achieved and maintained is no longer an issue. 

Kim has gained by leaps and bounds in this department since Trump took office and it's inarguable that his grip on power and influence on world affairs has never been stronger. Rocket Man, indeed. 
Yep, pre-Trump KJU was basically the maniac, nut job dictator of a tiny sad country.  Thanks to Trump he's been given the world stage from which his national propaganda network can deliver the "news" to his people about how he's increasing NK's status in the world.  Do you think Putin would have met with him if Trump hadn't first?

Nope

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if I misquoted you.    Many people are tossing the "Legitimate" term around.  Without a doubt Kim is legitimately in charge of North Korea regardless of who else likes it. 

Kim is doing what Kim has been doing since he took over.
And I don't think the term is describing his position within his country.  I don't think anyone is questioning that he's the ruler of his country.  What people are questioning is whether or not he deserves a seat at the table with all the other leaders of the countries of the world and whether he deserves to be treated with the mutual respect they treat each other with.  It's tough to argue "yes" given his behavior towards other countries and the fact he has virtually no regard for the lives within his country.  That's not something you give oxygen to.

Trump said the short range missile tests didn't concern him and they weren't part of the deal.  I bet South Korea and Japan do not share this same view.  

Trump said the short range missile tests didn't concern him and they weren't part of the deal.  I bet South Korea and Japan do not share this same view.  
meh...they can make their own deals

I say that in jest knowing that's Trump's actual position/thought process.  Not a clue

meh...they can make their own deals

I say that in jest knowing that's Trump's actual position/thought process.  Not a clue
It probably is.  Truth is, S. Korea would wipe the floor with N. Korea in a conventional war.  The nuclear threat is a different animal, though.  

This whole "giving oxygen" to someone is just ridiculous. Ignoring a problem, doesn't make the problem go away. The only way the U.S. could stop the military progression of NK is to invade their country or try to talk some sense into Kim. I for one, am not a fan of the former. So, any attempt at the latter is okay with me. 

We are right where we were before Trump, before Obama, before Bush, before Clinton.

...anyway...

It probably is.  Truth is, S. Korea would wipe the floor with N. Korea in a conventional war.  The nuclear threat is a different animal, though.  
Agreed....and giving the slightest indication of approval while not amping up sanctions for the poor behavior is like giving the kid throwing a temper tantrum because you won't buy him x toy, $50 so he can buy x toy.  It's beyond logical

Agreed....and giving the slightest indication of approval while not amping up sanctions for the poor behavior is like giving the kid throwing a temper tantrum because you won't buy him x toy, $50 so he can buy x toy.  It's beyond logical
When you look at the staged photos of Kim why won`t one of the guys sitting behind him take one for the team and country and just take him out?

Anymore beautiful letters between our two lovebirds?
I seem to remember Madeleine Albright tripping the light fantastic with his father on a diplomatic trip there in the nineties. Whilst they danced and negotiated, Il got nukes, likely from China. That worked well. 

Calling Ambassador Rodman!

http://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-saber-rattling-bark-worse-bite-193017357.html

The world may finally be taking North Korean threats seriously. On March 28, after the United States announced that two nuclear-capable stealth bombers flew from Missouri to South Korea as part of a major military exercise—which TIME’s Mark Thompson called “unusual” and Foreign Policy estimated might have cost $5.5 million—news reports ran rampant that Kim Jong Un and his military were plotting for their missiles to hit military bases in South Korea and U.S.-owned ones in the Pacific Ocean.

Speculation about North Korea’s apparent boost in military movements continued early Friday morning, when a photo from the young despot’s war room was released, showing him seated at a large wooden table and flanked by four senior generals in traditional military attire, who are watching him read through the supposed plans. A chart behind him is apparently marked “US mainland strike plan” with missile trajectories that state-controlled media claim end in Hawaii, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., and Austin, Texas. An accompanying image appears to show him signing an order for the rockets to be on standby. A Foreign Ministry statement warned of North Korea’s “right to a preemptive nuclear attack to destroy the strongholds of the aggressors.”

“He finally signed the plan on technical preparations of strategic rockets, ordering them to be on standby to fire so that they may strike any time the U.S. mainland, its military bases in the operational theaters in the Pacific, including Hawaii and Guam, and those in South Korea,” reported the Korean Central News Agency, the secretive nation’s state mouthpiece. Later in the day, tens of thousands of people converged in Pyongyang’s main square to support their leader, with some holding placards that read “Let’s crush the puppet traitor group” and “Let’s rip the puppet traitors to death!”

In response to the increased military movement, an American official was quoted as saying the isolated nation was “not a paper tiger” and that its “provocative behavior” should not be dismissed as “pure bluster.” The source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, continued: “What’s not clear right now is how much risk Kim Jong Un is willing to run to show the world and domestic elites that he’s a tough guy.” But even despite the latest harmful threats, the official offered this opinion on the young Kim: “His inexperience is certain – his wisdom is still very much in question.”

But many of North Korea’s threats have proved hollow and—more often than not—comical. For much of the past half century, North Korea’s proverbial bark has been much worse than its bite. Over the past decade or so, Pyongyang’s taunts have been met with criticism, laughs, sanctions and silence.

In March 2001, it threatened “thousand-fold revenge” on the U.S. for a “black-hearted intention” to scuttle its peace dialogue with the South. Eight years later in July 2009, after then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the North was like a child seeking attention from a parent, its leadership shot back with this one-liner: “Her words suggest that she is by no means intelligent.” (A foreign ministry statement went on to brand her a “funny lady” who looks like “a pensioner going shopping.”) In July 2010, Pyongyang promised a “retaliatory sacred war” after being blamed for the sinking of a South Korean ship, which killed 46 sailors. In April 2012, the North claimed it would reduce Seoul “to ashes” as tensions between the two governments had escalated again. And during a debate in February at the U.N. Conference on Disarmament, a North Korean diplomat cajoled Seoul: “A new-born puppy knows no fear of a tiger. South Korea’s erratic behavior would only herald its final destruction.” That final pronouncement is one that Kim and his cohort might want to heed themselves.
This is the first post in this thread. What has really changed from a NK standpoint in 6 years?

If you were the President of this country (or any country) what would you do in regards to NK?

This is the first post in this thread. What has really changed from a NK standpoint in 6 years?

If you were the President of this country (or any country) what would you do in regards to NK?
I heard a NY Times podcast about 6 or 8 months ago, I think, about the NK situation.  Basically, it was pretty dire about the fact that NK looked like it was headed to get nukes, and it was incredibly complicated, and it was hard to see a path to stop them, and that the US has been trying to stop them for a while, and it is a huge clusterf*ck.

So I don't blame Trump for trying something out of the box.  I think he's bungled it horribly.  But you don't get the hits if you don't take the swings, I guess. I dunno.

I heard a NY Times podcast about 6 or 8 months ago, I think, about the NK situation.  Basically, it was pretty dire about the fact that NK looked like it was headed to get nukes, and it was incredibly complicated, and it was hard to see a path to stop them, and that the US has been trying to stop them for a while, and it is a huge clusterf*ck.

So I don't blame Trump for trying something out of the box.  I think he's bungled it horribly.  But you don't get the hits if you don't take the swings, I guess. I dunno.
Hope vs expectations. (Hope comes without disappointment if something is not achieved. Expectations believe that a certain outcome will be achieved. And is disappointed when it is not.) 

I think some had expectations for what any POTUS could accomplish with NK. This is where many people that are angry with Trump stand. I guess the same may have been applied to any POTUS that extended an olive branch. 

Others hope(d) that something could be done. When nothing could be done, there was no blame or disappointment for trying. 

I probably wouldn't criticize past administrations since I couldn't get #### done either.
Really has no bearing on the end result? I get it, it's a personality issue. 

Perhaps like a trash talking cornerback. It has not bearing when the opposing teams wide receiver burns him for 200 yds and 3 tds. The cornerback truly believed he was going to shut down the receiver. In the end, the trash talk made no difference. 

Really has no bearing on the end result? I get it, it's a personality issue. 

Perhaps like a trash talking cornerback. It has not bearing when the opposing teams wide receiver burns him for 200 yds and 3 tds. The cornerback truly believed he was going to shut down the receiver. In the end, the trash talk made no difference. 
Its unpresidential, like most things this guy does. If the 3rd string CB trash talked than couldn't make the play, he looks like an idiot.

Its unpresidential, like most things this guy does. If the 3rd string CB trash talked than couldn't make the play, he looks like an idiot.
Correct. Trump looks like an idiot. Not the first time, or the last. 

Now what? If he wasn't an idiot would it have changed the outcome with NK? Plenty of other Presidents (who weren't idiots) didn't change anything either.

I guess what I'm trying to understand is why people are so angry that nothing has changed, when nothing was every going to change? Every time NK fires another missile, Trump gets blamed. I would assume they were going to fire those as long as US and SK continue joint military drills. I've assuming they've been doing so since the 1950's.

KCitons said:
Correct. Trump looks like an idiot. Not the first time, or the last. 

Now what? If he wasn't an idiot would it have changed the outcome with NK? Plenty of other Presidents (who weren't idiots) didn't change anything either.

I guess what I'm trying to understand is why people are so angry that nothing has changed, when nothing was every going to change? Every time NK fires another missile, Trump gets blamed. I would assume they were going to fire those as long as US and SK continue joint military drills. I've assuming they've been doing so since the 1950's.
Maybe because Trump was trying to make his meetings with NK as being Nobel-worthy when the whole time KJU playing him like a fiddle.   North Korea was never serious about negotiating in good faith and while that is not Trump's fault I find it disturbing that he is still kissing KJU's behind.

Plenty has changed, especially from NK's perspective.  They can fire missiles whenever they want.  That's shown in more missiles being fired during this administration's tenure than any administration prior.  They are glad handing with the "leader" of the free world and their state TV has all the ammo they need to cull support from their prisoners....er, citizens.  The narrative now exists that the United States of America is ok with the behavior of this dictator, reducing our legitimacy until a different position is established.  We could continue, but that should be enough for anyone looking at this objectively.

Plenty has changed, especially from NK's perspective.  They can fire missiles whenever they want.  That's shown in more missiles being fired during this administration's tenure than any administration prior.  They are glad handing with the "leader" of the free world and their state TV has all the ammo they need to cull support from their prisoners....er, citizens.  The narrative now exists that the United States of America is ok with the behavior of this dictator, reducing our legitimacy until a different position is established.  We could continue, but that should be enough for anyone looking at this objectively.
Who cares? Firing missiles into the sea means nothing. When they hit something of relevance, then we can talk about how things are being handled.

Where did the U.S. test their missiles and atomic weapons? 

Don't forget stepping into NK to shake his hand. And his public praise of Kim.
So did President Moon Jae-In.  It was overwhelmingly popular with actual Koreans.  They supported the Trump/Kim summits as well.  They didn't cry about how Kim was "legitimized"- whatever the #### that's supposed to mean.  The only people up in arms about this are hardcore natsec people in the Koreas and the Trump-obsessed demographic in USA.  

So did President Moon Jae-In.  It was overwhelmingly popular with actual Koreans.  They supported the Trump/Kim summits as well.  They didn't cry about how Kim was "legitimized"- whatever the #### that's supposed to mean.  The only people up in arms about this are hardcore natsec people in the Koreas and the Trump-obsessed demographic in USA.  
And how do they feel today with what NK is saying.

Im all for SK negotiating...Im all for them wanting peace...I don't think the way to it is by the US appeasing Kim and giving into what he wants over and over and over while getting almost zero in any actual concessions.  Yet, that is exactly where we now are.

But hey...he writes nice letters.

You should probably get out of your anarchist wormhole here and actually listen to what other nations are saying about this new relationship to get the proper gauge of how they feel about the relationship as outsiders looking in.

ETA:  If you do, you'll see the moral compass of the world is in pretty good shape.

And how do they feel today with what NK is saying.

Im all for SK negotiating...Im all for them wanting peace...I don't think the way to it is by the US appeasing Kim and giving into what he wants over and over and over while getting almost zero in any actual concessions.  Yet, that is exactly where we now are.

But hey...he writes nice letters.
Both sides wanted a declaration of an end to the war.  NK was on board with it, SK was on board with it, and the USA wasn't.  Why?  Why didn't the US simply declare an end to the war- like the Korean people wanted- and begin the delicate peace process from there?  Trump could have done that.  That would have been the best show of respect for the Koreans.

Both sides wanted a declaration of an end to the war.  NK was on board with it, SK was on board with it, and the USA wasn't.  Why?  Why didn't the US simply declare an end to the war- like the Korean people wanted- and begin the delicate peace process from there?  Trump could have done that.  That would have been the best show of respect for the Koreans.
But NK wasn't really in board...because a condition of that deals with their nukes who h they aren't going to give up.

They were both "on board" in the sense that each were "on board if......xyz conditions are met"....each had their version of xyz conditions and they don't agree, especially on the nuclear weapons part.

Now imagine it was 2014.

You should probably get out of your anarchist wormhole here and actually listen to what other nations are saying about this new relationship to get the proper gauge of how they feel about the relationship as outsiders looking in.

ETA:  If you do, you'll see the moral compass of the world is in pretty good shape.
Some of us see fit to care about what the world thinks in the sense we can actually practice a workable foreign policy based in give-and-take diplomatic relations. When the rest of the world decides that Yassar Arafat needs a Nobel Peace Prize, a general distrust of world opinion is required for a hegemony like ourselves.

Some of us see fit to care about what the world thinks in the sense we can actually practice a workable foreign policy based in give-and-take diplomatic relations. When the rest of the world decides that Yassar Arafat needs a Nobel Peace Prize, a general distrust of world opinion is required for a hegemony like ourselves.
Which do you believe is closer to this instance?

Thank you for ignoring the stinky bait laid elsewhere :thumbup:  
I often wonder if there is ANY pause in hitting the "Submit Reply" button on some of these posts....though I am not really sure what you are talking about specifically. :oldunsure:  

Which do you believe is closer to this instance?
That's tough. Isn't the rest of the world also making a calculus over domestic and international allied lives lost in the event of a nuclear attack or war and assessing the value of a life, etc.?

How do I know whether where they stand is in our interest?

I mean, the rest of the world is likely urging different tactics with their own risk calculus at stake, a calculus that determines which tactic they advocate for. So I don't know whose moral compass is what. I'll tell you what I do remember: I remember Madeliene Albright tripping the light fantastic with Kim Jong-Il while N. Korea developed working nukes under President Clinton, so there's that way to go about it: or there are other ways.

That's tough. Isn't the rest of the world also making a calculus over domestic and international allied lives lost in the event of a nuclear attack or war and assessing the value of a life, etc.?

How do I know whether where they stand is in our interest?

I mean, the rest of the world is likely urging different tactics with their own risk calculus at stake, a calculus that determines which tactic they advocate for. So I don't know whose moral compass is what. I'll tell you what I do remember: I remember Madeliene Albright tripping the light fantastic with Kim Jong-Il while N. Korea developed working nukes under President Clinton, so there's that way to go about it: or there are other ways.
So, it seems we need to back up.  The comment I was replying to was:

The only people up in arms about this are hardcore natsec people in the Koreas and the Trump-obsessed demographic in USA.  
That's simply false.  All eyes are on Trump and his handling of Kim.  And most of them have made clear where they stand.  The reasons why they stand where they do aren't really material to the point being made.  His statement would be false regardless of the rest of the world agreeing with Trump's handling or if they disagreed with his handling.  What you're talking about is the actual opinions.  Personally, I will stand with those that think it's a bad idea for the leader of the free world to be gushing over a dictator who murders his own people, but that wan't the point of my comment and is a different conversation.  I tend to take notice of the countries and people who dismiss Trump's actions here as if they aren't significant.  If there was ever a black/white, moral issue in our politics, this is it.  

That's simply false.  All eyes are on Trump and his handling of Kim.  And most of them have made clear where they stand.  The reasons why they stand where they do aren't really material to the point being made.  His statement would be false regardless of the rest of the world agreeing with Trump's handling or if they disagreed with his handling.  What you're talking about is the actual opinions.  Personally, I will stand with those that think it's a bad idea for the leader of the free world to be gushing over a dictator who murders his own people, but that wan't the point of my comment and is a different conversation.  I tend to take notice of the countries and people who dismiss Trump's actions here as if they aren't significant.  If there was ever a black/white, moral issue in our politics, this is it.  
Okay, I backed up. Allow me to apologize for jumping in, actually. I wasn't aware I had done that. That said, I have -- and I mean this -- very little idea about what the #### you guys are talking about in this particular instance at this particular time. So I'll ask if you'll kindly let me walk away from an issue I obviously created by jumping in (which is unlike me) the middle of debate whose premises I can't suss out and whose conclusions are colloquial and obvious to the speaker and the listener but not to the reader.

So, I can only shrug and say...sorry? Peace out, The Commish.

Okay, I backed up. Allow me to apologize for jumping in, actually. I wasn't aware I had done that. That said, I have -- and I mean this -- very little idea about what the #### you guys are talking about in this particular instance at this particular time. So I'll ask if you'll kindly let me walk away from an issue I obviously created by jumping in (which is unlike me) the middle of debate whose premises I can't suss out and whose conclusions are colloquial and obvious to the speaker and the listener but not to the reader.

So, I can only shrug and say...sorry? Peace out, The Commish.
No worries....just wanted to make sure it was clear what we were talking about.  Always enjoy the perspective.  In this particular case, I'm not sure I care about the motives behind disagreeing with Trump and his fawning over the murderous dictator.  I just care that they reject that approach.  

I don’t disagree that out of the box thinking Re NK is a good thing.  

However, giving the reins to a conman like Trump, who’s only real goal is to feed his own ego, is not the type of “out of the box” thinking that inspires confidence.  

He is getting played.  And, in the course of this dog and pony show, all he has done is legitimize a brutal regime.   

All Trump has to show for his “efforts” is his claim that he has developed a personal relationship with a murderous dictator.   He has nothing tangible.

like everything Trump, it is all form and no substance.

but, if you asked Kim, I’m sure he’d tell you the whole thing has been fantastic.  

I don’t disagree that out of the box thinking Re NK is a good thing.  

However, giving the reins to a conman like Trump, who’s only real goal is to feed his own ego, is not the type of “out of the box” thinking that inspires confidence.  

He is getting played.  And, in the course of this dog and pony show, all he has done is legitimize a brutal regime.   

All Trump has to show for his “efforts” is his claim that he has developed a personal relationship with a murderous dictator.   He has nothing tangible.

like everything Trump, it is all form and no substance.

but, if you asked Kim, I’m sure he’d tell you the whole thing has been fantastic.  
I thought we weren't going to use this term?

I don't care that Trump tried and failed. I don't think he has any idea what he's doing most days. But, I don't think we would have been in any different situation with Hillary at the helm. They would have continued to build their missile program. That began decades ago. If they start to hit one of our allies with those missiles, then let's worry about what Trump does or doesn't do. 

Users who are viewing this thread