What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Josh Freeman - what's his future hold? (2 Viewers)

Josh Freeman, who had a bad outing in starting his first game with the Vikings on Monday night, has suffered a concussion and may not be able to play this week against Green Bay, the team announced.Vikings coach Leslie Frazier confirmed today that Freeman’s status is in doubt, and that if Freeman can’t go, Christian Ponder would return to the starting lineup when the Packers come to town on Sunday night.

Although the Vikings won’t have any official word on Freeman’s status until he goes through the league-mandated concussion protocol, Frazier said the Vikings are currently preparing as if Ponder is going to be the starter.
link

It’s not clear when Freeman suffered the concussion, but Frazier said he didn’t see anything on Monday night to make him think Freeman was showing any symptoms of a head injury.

Josh Freeman, who had a bad outing in starting his first game with the Vikings on Monday night, has suffered a concussion and may not be able to play this week against Green Bay, the team announced.Vikings coach Leslie Frazier confirmed today that Freeman’s status is in doubt, and that if Freeman can’t go, Christian Ponder would return to the starting lineup when the Packers come to town on Sunday night.

Although the Vikings won’t have any official word on Freeman’s status until he goes through the league-mandated concussion protocol, Frazier said the Vikings are currently preparing as if Ponder is going to be the starter.
link

It’s not clear when Freeman suffered the concussion, but Frazier said he didn’t see anything on Monday night to make him think Freeman was showing any symptoms of a head injury.
Freeman was only sacked once and he had no carries.... I suppose he could have been knocked down. But I don't remember him getting harrassed too much. When would this have happened exactly?

LOL. Is this coach's speek for "Umm, maybe Ponder wasn't that bad after all"?

This looks like a teainwreck unfolding. What if Ponder starts this week and has a strong game? I could just see Frazer saying that Freeman continues to exhibit concussion symptoms. What a mess.

LOL. Is this coach's speek for "Umm, maybe Ponder wasn't that bad after all"?

This looks like a teainwreck unfolding. What if Ponder starts this week and has a strong game? I could just see Frazer saying that Freeman continues to exhibit concussion symptoms. What a mess.
Bingo!

Leslie's Translation: "I watched the game tape and have decided Josh may be the worst QB (starter, backup, practice squad) in the league. I was doing anything I can to stop the inevitable termination at the end of this year... #####, looks like I'm f*cked unless Ponder can save me."

The funny thing is Freeman gets the $8m from Tampa and another $2M from Minnesota. I hope he hires a good financial advisor because that could be the last money he sees from the NFL.

The funny thing is Freeman gets the $8m from Tampa and another $2M from Minnesota. I hope he hires a good financial advisor because that could be the last money he sees from the NFL.
shortage of QBs in the NFL he get more then 10M next even if its not the vikings

shortage of QBs in the NFL he get more then 10M next even if its not the vikings
Huh? Viking paid him three times too much even before his googly eye performance. He will most likely get Vet minimum the rest of his illustrious career.

BusterTBronco said:
How does a QB throw the football 53 times in a game and only net 190 yards passing? That's got to be some kind of record for awfulness.
According to ESPNSTATs, Freeman threw as many overthrown passes in one game as Peyton Manning has all year.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Ed Werder is "expecting" the Vikings to turn back to Josh Freeman as their Week 9 starter against the Cowboys.
Werder didn't cite a source in his tweet, but he's not the type to throw stuff against the wall and hope it sticks. He's likely got inside info. Per Werder, the Vikings "want to evaluate Freeman" after signing him to a one-year, $3 million contract on October 6, and Christian Ponder unsurprisingly "did nothing" to run with the job in last Sunday night's loss to the Packers.

Source: Ed Werder on Twitter

It was a helluva run!

Christian Ponder will start at quarterback when the Minnesota Vikings visit the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday.

Coach Leslie Frazier made the announcement after practice Friday.

"Christian gives us the best chance to win," Frazier said, explaining the decision to start the third-year NFL quarterback the over newly signed Josh Freeman.

(RotoWire) Freeman is once again inactive for Sunday's game against Chicago. Analysis: Freeman's 20-for-53 performance in his lone appearance as a Viking might be the first and last time we ever see him in a Minnesota uniform. Christian Ponder will start against the Bears.

He's a drug addict. at least he was in TB. Maybe he is clean now, but this dude threw it all away.

Maybe he gets it together ala Cris Carter.....

not sure i understand why they're keeping him on the roster.

Freeman continues to be MIA in Minnesota

Posted by Mike Florio on December 11, 2013, 9:33 AM EST
After quarterback Josh Freeman secured his freedom from the Buccaneers (along with the right to collect the balance of his $8.43 million base salary), he selected the Vikings as his next destination.

The Vikings then rushed him to the field for a Monday night start against the Giants only two weeks after joining the team. He threw 53 passes, emerged with a concussion, quickly healed, and then disappeared.

A first-round pick in 2009 who had twice led the Bucs to victories over the Vikings in the Metrodome, Freeman has fallen out of a two-man quarterback rotation that spins from Christian Ponder to Matt Cassel back to Ponder.

So why are the Vikings continuing to pay Freeman $166,667 per week to not contribute? They could cut him at any time and owe him nothing, banking the cash and carrying the ensuing cap savings forward to 2014.

Apart from saving face for signing him in the first place, keeping Freeman makes him available for emergency duty, and it gives Minnesota exclusive negotiating rights on a new deal until March. But if the Vikings aren’t ready to play Freeman after having him in the building for two months, why would they want to make a long-term commitment to him?

The bigger question that never will be answered is whether the Vikings would still sign Freeman, if they knew in October what they know now. It’s likely safe to assume Freeman would have made a different decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a downfall. I always thought he was over rated, and really didn't want him to get an extension from the Bucs. However, nobody could of predicted this monumental of a downfall.

Is it possible the Vikes are doing this as some kind of favor to Bucs management or even the NFL, with maybe some kind of back door arrangement to compensate them somehow?

Is it possible the Vikes are doing this as some kind of favor to Bucs management or even the NFL, with maybe some kind of back door arrangement to compensate them somehow?
Not following here.
Well isn't it a mystery why the Vikes are paying him this amount of money for a 3rd string clipboard holder???

So then the answer must be that they have a reason for doing what they're doing.

They can't hold him, but they can pay him to stay (again, why?). They will almost certainly draft a QB in the 1st round next year.

So maybe the idea is the Bucs or the NFL thought Freeman would file some grievance or suit against them and they more or less asked the Vikes to do them a solid to keep him happy for a year?

Who knows, but unless there's some ulterior motive like that it seems kind of crazy once again what he's doing on the payroll.

I think it's simple as the guy, as expected, was an epic failure & put together one of the worst starts in NFL history in his only start. One of the most embarrassing performances I've ever witnessed from a 'professional' QB. I was as embarrassed of the coaching staff that anointed him starter.

I imagine he'll find a backup (or 3rd string gig) based on his physical tools. Good luck on him learning the playbook or throwing a timing pattern. :thumbup:

I think it's simple as the guy, as expected, was an epic failure & put together one of the worst starts in NFL history in his only start. One of the most embarrassing performances I've ever witnessed from a 'professional' QB. I was as embarrassed of the coaching staff that anointed him starter.

I imagine he'll find a backup (or 3rd string gig) based on his physical tools. Good luck on him learning the playbook or throwing a timing pattern. :thumbup:
Ok, but what about this?

So why are the Vikings continuing to pay Freeman $166,667 per week to not contribute? They could cut him at any time and owe him nothing, banking the cash and carrying the ensuing cap savings forward to 2014.
Any ideas?

Ok, but what about this?

Any ideas?
I didn't realize they could still save money by cutting him. His usage in Minnesota is now even more mind-boggling.

Ok, but what about this?

Any ideas?
You got me.

I never understood signing the clown to a one year deal during the season to begin with.

Rotoworld:

Josh Freeman insisted on Friday he would consider re-signing with the Vikings next season.
"I definitely have interest in coming back, for sure," Freeman said. "It's a great organization, a great team." It's unlikely the Vikings would have any interest in re-signing Freeman with both Matt Cassel and Christian Ponder still under contract next season. Freeman has been a weekly inactive since struggling in a Monday night loss to the Giants back in Week 7.

Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press

Josh Freeman - QB - Vikings
Citing four sources, USA Today reports Josh Freeman was late for "numerous meetings" during his three months with the Vikings, and was "often among the last players to the facility."
Numerous players also told USA Today's Tom Pelissero that they were dumbfounded Freeman got the Week 7 start against the Giants because he had no clue how to run OC Bill Musgrave's offense. Freeman proceeded to turn in arguably the single worst quarterback performance of 2013, and coach Leslie Frazier never turned back to him. Freeman is now headed to unrestricted free agency.

Source: USA Today

Arguably? There's no argument. It was the worst QB performance of not only 2013, but one of the worst in the past 20 years. I thought after watching they should have drug tested him immediately after the game.

Him and Tim Tebow will be working together at Wendy's real soon! Maybe they will get a chance to work for Shanahan after all!

Citing four sources, USA Today reports Josh Freeman was late for "numerous meetings" during his three months with the Vikings, and was "often among the last players to the facility."
Just amazing for a guy trying to turn over a new leaf on a new team. Can't see him anything but out of the league next year. He had a lot of talent but he seems to have pissed it away.

Do your guys think he will get another chance next year? I believe he could be a backup at best. If the reports are true, he probably won't even get a chance to compete as a backup since he will ruin the lock room.

Just amazing for a guy trying to turn over a new leaf on a new team. Can't see him anything but out of the league next year. He had a lot of talent but he seems to have pissed it away.
Yep. Another sad Hollywood NFL tale of wasted talent.

Yep. Another sad Hollywood NFL tale of wasted talent.
Schiano took a lot of heat but it seems he had Freeman pegged correctly as a loser.

Do your guys think he will get another chance next year? I believe he could be a backup at best. If the reports are true, he probably won't even get a chance to compete as a backup since he will ruin the lock room.
If he does, he will only get a chance with a team that is already a loser. Since he can't elevate a team, he will fail.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Raiders blogger Paul Gutierrez expects Oakland to show interest in free agent Josh Freeman this offseason.
Freeman was linked to the Raiders before he signed with Minnesota during the season, so it's possible they still have interest despite his disastrous finish to 2013. He has experience in OC Greg Olson's scheme from their time together in Tampa and shouldn't command much guaranteed money. Gutierrez also believes Oakland could be a landing spot for Mark Sanchez when he's released by the Jets this offseason.

Related: Raiders

Source: ESPN.com

I'm sure he'll get a crack at a backup job somewhere due to his arm that you can't teach. As a guy that struggles to learn the playbook to begin with, I don't see him lasting long.as a backup. He's simply not reliable on/off the field.

He might have gotten away with it as a 1st round 'franchise' QB but he'll be on a zero tolerance policy the rest of his NFL career. (which I don't see lasting much longer if he doesn't get his life straightened out)

His performance on MNF vs. the Giants was the worst I've personally seen in the last 15 years. And that's even with giving Frazier a big part of the blame for playcalling in that game. Said it at the time, but it was so bad that I thought they should have drug tested Freeman after the game.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Vikings blogger Ben Goessling doesn't expect the team to re-sign free agent Josh Freeman.
As Goessling points out, Freeman's arm strength could appeal to new OC Norv Turner, but considering the same front office that signed Freeman last season is still in place, it's highly unlikely they'd want to bring him back. Freeman will probably have to settle for a one- or two-year deal with some incentives this offseason. He should be able to find a team that will allow him to compete for the starting job. Oakland has already been mentioned as a possibility.

Source: ESPN.com

Numerous players also told USA Today's Tom Pelissero that they were dumbfounded Freeman got the Week 7 start against the Giants because he had no clue how to run OC Bill Musgrave's offense. Freeman proceeded to turn in arguably the single worst quarterback performance of 2013, and coach Leslie Frazier never turned back to him. Freeman is now headed to unrestricted free agency.

Source: USA Today

Arguably? There's no argument. It was the worst QB performance of not only 2013, but one of the worst in the past 20 years. I thought after watching they should have drug tested him immediately after the game.
I think you're being a little hard on the guy. I'm not by any means a freeman fan, but even before his first start in Minny, I saw how long he had been with the team and was shocked that the coach would put him into that position so soon after his arrival.

I knew it was gonna be a stinker of a game because he was not familiar with the offense. I dont know what you expect from a guy who probably knows 25% of the plays (and only if he studied hard) but I assure you, there are only so many things you can do as an offense, and minimal adjustments can be made.

The decision to start him was a poor one and the team did him a disservice in starting him at that time.

That being said, I've seen the guy look great, and I've seen him look bad prior to his arrival in Minny. I think we'd be dumb to discount that he could still get it done if he gets his head in the game and sort out his off field issues. (which may or may not have been resolved prior to his arrival in Minny)

either way, my point: You can blame him for any poor performance you want Except the one in Minny. I put that one on the coach's shoulders as he should never have been on the field except in a relief role. He needed at least one and maybe two more games to learn the offense.

Users who are viewing this thread